PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds' Body Changes

kevingrt
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
I was just listening to the Big Show with DP and KO and DP gaves these changes in Barry Bonds clothing since coming to the Giants. I don't remember all of them but hat size increased from 7 1/8 to 7 1/4, which is a good amount especially when you are in your late 30's and 40's. I don't remember the others but the most significant and scary is supposedly his shoe size changed from a 10.5 to a 13!!! That is huge 2.5 size, ridiculous for shoe size changes when past 16 years old let alone 30. Oh well just wanted to see your guys' reaction. He read this is the paperback addition of those San Fran reporters I believe.

AuroraSoxFan
02-27-2007, 02:41 PM
The hat size is no biggie. Just a 1/8 increase. Maybe it was tight on him last year or something and just wanted some wiggle room or something. The shoe size can't be accurate. That just sounds freakish. Isn't he like 41 or so? I do not care what he is on, it shouldn't cause anything like that.

Dan the Man
02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I have a hard time believing he only wears a 7 1/4, because I am not even 15 years old and I wear that size. Either I have a huge cranium, or Bonds has the biggest body with an average size head I have ever seen. I thought I heard somewhere he is in a 7 5/8.

TheMilkman
02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
There was an article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tom_verducci/02/27/shadows.afterword/index.html)by Tom Verducci on cnnsi.com today about this.

When I read it the part that made my jaw drop was about the changes in Bonds body size:

"My favorite fact: the authors detail in their afterword the freakish growth of Bonds' body parts in his years with the Giants: from size 42 to a size 52 jersey; from size 10 1/2 to size 13 cleats; and from a size 7 1/8 to size 7 1/4 cap, even though he had taken to shaving his head."

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-27-2007, 03:17 PM
There was an article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tom_verducci/02/27/shadows.afterword/index.html)by Tom Verducci on cnnsi.com today about this.

When I read it the part that made my jaw drop was about the changes in Bonds body size:

"My favorite fact: the authors detail in their afterword the freakish growth of Bonds' body parts in his years with the Giants: from size 42 to a size 52 jersey; from size 10 1/2 to size 13 cleats; and from a size 7 1/8 to size 7 1/4 cap, even though he had taken to shaving his head."

He's like Bane from the Batman movies. Quit hitting the Venom button and he shrinks.

http://www.metrocity.com/personal/Vince/bane.jpg

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I saw the back of Bonds' rookie card and it said he weighed something like 175 pounds. He now weighs about 250 pounds last I saw...I'd be curious to see the back of baseball cards and measure how much weight he has gained. I woul bet good money that he put on a lot of weight (in pure muscle by the way) in 1999 when he allegedly first started using. For the record, Sosa's weight jumped by about twenty pounds between 1997 and 1998 and then he put on thirty pounds more for 1999.

mrfourni
02-27-2007, 04:29 PM

But Dusty Baker never saw anything that would make him think something was different about bonds?

TheOldRoman
02-27-2007, 08:24 PM
The shoe size is not that big of a deal. A lot of people's feet grow as they get older (especially as they put on weight, and Bonds put on 75 pounds legitimately). I remember my dad having a gray pair of size 11 Nikes for the first 8 or so years of my life, and he is now a 13. Jordan's feet grew, I believe, a size and a half during his career.

The jersey size isn't all that relevant either. In 1993, guys used to wear form fitting jerseys. Now, players wear their jerseys extra baggy. Hell, Dwayne Wade wears a size 52. Bonds is still a juicer, I'm just saying these things aren't all that big of a deal.

Frontman
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I saw the back of Bonds' rookie card and it said he weighed something like 175 pounds. He now weighs about 250 pounds last I saw...I'd be curious to see the back of baseball cards and measure how much weight he has gained. I woul bet good money that he put on a lot of weight (in pure muscle by the way) in 1999 when he allegedly first started using. For the record, Sosa's weight jumped by about twenty pounds between 1997 and 1998 and then he put on thirty pounds more for 1999.

Well, not just weight, but bone mass obviously. I've had the same shoe size since I was 14, and I'm 36 now.

Sure, any one of those size increases could be contributed to natural growth/body changes. But all of them together, plus the weight gain, plus the fact his body keeps falling apart in the now-testing era, something doesn't add up.

I do agree that I believe it just wasn't 'roids, but a good dosage of HGH that Bonds was on.

Dibbs
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I am pretty sure he meant Bonds went from a 7 1/8 size hat to 8 1/4. I have a smaller cranium and I wear a 7 1/8 or so. 7 1/4 is a very, very small head for a 250 lb guy.....and Bonds certainly doesn't have a small head.

soxfan13
02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I wear 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 actually depends on what kind of hat. I am not on roids I am just fat:tongue: When I played football at Lake Forest College they had to get my helmet from the Bears because they didnt have a size 8:tongue:

ode to veeck
02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
My feet grew more than a size and a half between 30 and 40, with no special Balco creams involved

DarkHorse35
02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
He's like Bane from the Batman movies. Quit hitting the Venom button and he shrinks.

http://www.metrocity.com/personal/Vince/bane.jpg

Perhaps Batman would be a good signing.

AngryCollins
03-03-2007, 01:00 AM
I wear 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 actually depends on what kind of hat. I am not on roids I am just fat:tongue: When I played football at Lake Forest College they had to get my helmet from the Bears because they didnt have a size 8:tongue:

Dude, an 8 is a big ole noggin.

Most giant melon I ever heard of was an 8 1/4. That guy's head was a refrigerator. I'm a small guy and Irish (a big headed folk) but I just got a 6 3/4.

on edit: I could imagine one's feet getting bigger if you gain 75 lbs. That said, he's a juicer.

Steelrod
03-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Dude, an 8 is a big ole noggin.

Most giant melon I ever heard of was an 8 1/4. That guy's head was a refrigerator. I'm a small guy and Irish (a big headed folk) but I just got a 6 3/4.

on edit: I could imagine one's feet getting bigger if you gain 75 lbs. That said, he's a juicer.
How quick we forget Dave Will's head!