PDA

View Full Version : Good guy Frank Thomas?

caulfield12
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
When new Blue Jay Frank Thomas asked Lyle Overbay about handing over his No. 35 to the Big Hurt, there wasn't much of a tug-of-war. After Overbay quickly said yes, Thomas mentioned he wanted to ''do something'' for Overbay.

That ''something'' was commissioning noted portrait artist Vernon Wells Sr., father of the Jays' center fielder, to do a painting of Overbay and his 2-year-old twin sons, Adam and Alex.
''Pretty special,'' Overbay told the Toronto Globe and Mail of the surprise gift. ''I mean, you don't know somebody, so you don't know what their tastes or their likes are, and then somebody goes that far for you ... it just tells you something about the type of person [Thomas] is.''
from suntimes.com

spawn
02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Frank's always gotten a bad rad as being surly an unapproachable, which is complete BS. And this story just proves it. Nice work Frank!:smile:

Mr.1Dog
02-27-2007, 10:21 AM
:thumbsup: Classy move by Frank. That is a hell of a gift Frank put into place that probably means more to Overbay than a number.

TomBradley72
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Frank's always gotten a bad rad as being surly an unapproachable, which is complete BS. And this story just proves it. Nice work Frank!:smile:

That's because he was surly for about a decade...

ND_Sox_Fan
02-27-2007, 10:58 AM

According to ... the Chicago media, but let's not take this thread there.

The painting is also probably a better gift than many in this article (http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/05/16/sports/SHIRTS.php).

RKMeibalane
02-27-2007, 11:15 AM

How much is Frontman paying you?

skobabe8
02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
According to ... the Chicago media, but let's not take this thread there.

The painting is also probably a better gift than many in this article (http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/05/16/sports/SHIRTS.php).

Thats a really interesting article, especially the part about Barry Zito's #75: He said it makes a nice shelf underneath his name. :redneck

BainesHOF
02-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Frank Thomas has always been great with the fans.

kevin57
02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh, no! :o: Any Frank Thomas thread always brings out the worst of people on this board. Let the polemics begin!

DarkHorse35
02-27-2007, 02:38 PM
How are you gonna get kids that small to stay still for a portrait?

soxinem1
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm not suprised at all, Hurt was always coordial and friendly with me from day one in MLB.

Honestly, I'm more curious on his relationship with The Choice. If Clayton makes the team as a utility INF, he and Frank will share the bench a LOT.

RKMeibalane
02-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm not suprised at all, Hurt was always coordial and friendly with me from day one in MLB.

Honestly, I'm more curious on his relationship with The Choice. If Clayton makes the team as a utility INF, he and Frank will share the bench a LOT.

There was a picture on the Jays website, showing them joking around during team workouts. We'll see if things are as rosey when Royce spills ice cream all over Franks cleats.

mrfourni
02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
How are you gonna get kids that small to stay still for a portrait?

I assume with a photograph

ondafarm
02-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I met Frank the day I had a try out for the Dragons. He was warm friendly and cordial then to me, nothing but a fan. He wasn't even there when I hit and all I did was chase balls in the outfield while he hit for the movie cameras.

Frontman
02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
How much is Frontman paying you?

Now now. Everyone has their own opinion; and mine is subject to change. By the way, the check is in the mail. :wink:

Look, people do change over time, and it was a long time ago. Maybe Frank has mellowed. Looking at Frank doing this, how he was grateful after settling in with Oakland, his return to the Cell, etc; I have to say, he's been a different Frank than the one I saw.

And in retrospect, I was looking at last year's fiasco with him and KW, and I gotta say, my personal opinion of Frank aside, he was right in a lot of ways.

The organization has been consistent with how they treat players outgoing. Sadly, that isn't a good thing. I look way back to how Fisk was let go, then I look at Frank. Yeah, my fave team has a way of being (Mod Edit: Jerks) to outgoing stars. Coupled with personal experience with Frank plus the high of the championship, I didn't want to see anyone dissin' the Sox, and just used that as ammo to dump on Frank. I do apologize for that.

Trust me, as a person, I can take him or leave him. As a fan, I can't wait for the day his face adorns the outfield wall; and I will make a point of going to Cooperstown to see his plaque when he is inducted. Hell, he'd be the first Sox player who goes in that I watched in his prime, unlike Fisk who's prime days were in Boston.

And really, a bad moment of out of years and years of history shouldn't define a player forever. Even if you were personally caught up in that bad moment.

See gang, I HAVE learned a bit more about White Sox fandom since joining the site! :D:

Good job Frank.

Front

Frontman
03-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey gang,

I want to apologize for my language on Wednesday. I didn't think and posted stupidly. Mods, thanks for leaving my post after editing it.

Won't happen again gang.

Front

IndianWhiteSox
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
When new Blue Jay Frank Thomas asked Lyle Overbay about handing over his No. 35 to the Big Hurt, there wasn't much of a tug-of-war. After Overbay quickly said yes, Thomas mentioned he wanted to ''do something'' for Overbay.

That ''something'' was commissioning noted portrait artist Vernon Wells Sr., father of the Jays' center fielder, to do a painting of Overbay and his 2-year-old twin sons, Adam and Alex.
''Pretty special,'' Overbay told the Toronto Globe and Mail of the surprise gift. ''I mean, you don't know somebody, so you don't know what their tastes or their likes are, and then somebody goes that far for you ... it just tells you something about the type of person [Thomas] is.''
from suntimes.com

I've always thought of him as a nice guy who just like his circle of privacy. I remember one time before a game,during the 2000 season, when he was supposed to be in the dugout after the national anthem, he just came up to me and signed my baseball. I still have it on display along with his poster and plaque in my room in America.
:cool: