PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf doing play by play

34rancher
03-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Did anyone listen to the game this afternoon, when JR was with Farmer for the 3rd inning? Nothing major, just that he was excited.

One thing though:
"If I had my way, we only take 11 pitchers out of camp with 4 starters, since we don't need a fifth starter until like April 15th."

Your way? I thought he owned the team. Maybe is isn't as involved as we thought.

Other thing kind of weird was that Farmer was doing the game on AM 1000, and Rooney was doing play by play for AM 670 for the OSU-Mizzou game.

Soxheads
03-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Did anyone listen to the game this afternoon, when JR was with Farmer for the 3rd inning? Nothing major, just that he was excited.

One thing though:
"If I had my way, we only take 11 pitchers out of camp with 4 starters, since we don't need a fifth starter until like April 15th."

Your way? I thought he owned the team. Maybe is isn't as involved as we thought.

Other thing kind of weird was that Farmer was doing the game on AM 1000, and Rooney was doing play by play for AM 670 for the OSU-Mizzou game.

Unfortunately I can't get Chicago radio so I'm lost when anyone talks about Rooney and Farmer.

DrCrawdad
03-17-2002, 12:00 AM
I enjoyed hearing Reinsdorf during the game. Reinsdorf clearly has affection for the game. He also had some interesting observations.

For example:

Willie Harris, 'He shouldn't fall in love with the HR, like many small guys do after they hit a few.'
Player development, 'you pour a bunch in a funnel and a few come out.'
Failed trade with Angels, 'I didn't like that one.' (I think JR was talking about the trade, but he could have been referring to how the trade disintergrated.
Playoff run, IF the team is in the playoff hunt down the stretch, IF it's felt they need some extra help he's in favor of going and getting it.
From that conversation with Farmer JR came off as an owner who has definite opinions on players and how-to proceed but that he lets his baseball guys make the decisions.

CubKilla
03-17-2002, 02:05 AM
Anyone hear JR talking about "Catfish" Hunter and Tommy John when referring to Butter? Comparing Butter to the aforementioned is kind of a stretch..... don't you think? JR said something to the effect like, "Parque needs to learn how to change speeds effectively if he will be throwing an 85 MPH fastball..... kind of like "Catfish" and TJ used to do after the historic surgery. ***?????

CiscoCarlos
03-17-2002, 01:18 PM
I knew Tommy John. Tommy John was a friend of mine. You sir (Mr. Parque), are no Tommy John.