PDA

View Full Version : Tony LaRussa all time wins

eastchicagosoxfan
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I didn't realize LaRussa is third on the all time wins list, with 2297. At 63 years old, there's no chance he cathes Connie Mack at 3731 (1434 win difference ). However LaRussa is " only " 466 wins behind John McGraw ( 2763 wins ). I'm under the impression LaRussa is in the last year of his contract, and he's coming off a World Series victory. Does anyone know if he plans on sticking around? He would have to average 86 wins over the next six seasons to pass McGraw. Whether you like him or hate him, it would be an impressive feat.

Vernam
02-26-2007, 07:46 PM
If Sox fans are tempted to run Ozzie off a year or two from now, I hope they'll remember how badly they blew it by running LaRussa off. I concede the guy is kind of a prick, but I don't want to wait another 20 years for a manager capable of winning a World Series. Put another way, it would've been pretty damn nice to see LaRussa win a couple-thousand games in a Sox uniform. Instead, people bought the crap that Caray and Piersall said about him and Leyland, another great manager we failed to keep around.

Vernam

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2007, 01:08 AM
If Sox fans are tempted to run Ozzie off a year or two from now, I hope they'll remember how badly they blew it by running LaRussa off. I concede the guy is kind of a prick, but I don't want to wait another 20 years for a manager capable of winning a World Series. Put another way, it would've been pretty damn nice to see LaRussa win a couple-thousand games in a Sox uniform. Instead, people bought the crap that Caray and Piersall said about him and Leyland, another great manager we failed to keep around.

Vernam
Well, Leyland wasn't going to get a job managing with the Sox as long as Tony was around. But it wasn't Caray and Piersall that got him fired: you can thank Mr. Hawk Harrelson for that. He also cost us David Dombrowski who is one of the best GMs in baseball. Had Hawk never been GM, we would have won a world series by about 1992 and won several more after that.

TDog
02-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, Leyland wasn't going to get a job managing with the Sox as long as Tony was around. But it wasn't Caray and Piersall that got him fired: you can thank Mr. Hawk Harrelson for that. He also cost us David Dombrowski who is one of the best GMs in baseball. Had Hawk never been GM, we would have won a world series by about 1992 and won several more after that.

If Harry Caray had stayed with the Sox, he would have done everything in his power to get Tony LaRussa fired. He used to like to say, even when it was irrelevant to do so, that LaRussa was (to paraphrase, an idiot) who was promoted to manager because he would work cheap.

Harrelson was named GM on the basis of a position paper he turned in with his application for the job. He talked a good game, just demagogues appeal to the masses.

LaRussa was and still is a smart baseball man. He was one of the few fired Sox managers I was sorry to see leave.

AuroraSoxFan
02-27-2007, 01:18 PM
To answer the thread question, no I do not think he will stay around another 6 years. He may hang around for another few years and then go into broadcasting or something after that. I also agree with others that he was the wrong skipper to run out of town.

Vernam
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
But it wasn't Caray and Piersall that got him fired: you can thank Mr. Hawk Harrelson for that. I'm not going to defend Hawk the GM (surprise!), but it was Caray's relentless criticism of LaRussa that put him in a position to be fired. I'll never forget TL getting booed even at the ceremony to hoist the frickin' '83 A.L. West pennant.

If Harry Caray had stayed with the Sox, he would have done everything in his power to get Tony LaRussa fired. He used to like to say, even when it was irrelevant to do so, that LaRussa was (to paraphrase, an idiot) who was promoted to manager because he would work cheap.That's absolutely right. And Piersall was just as brutal, to the point where Leyland came to the studio after a post-game show to kick Jimmy's sorry ass. I believe that was after Piersall went on a tirade because Greg Walker in his first game for the Sox at 1B muffed a pop-up. He wanted Walker shipped back to Colorado Springs and said he'd never be worth a damn.

His and Caray's general theme was that LaRussa and his staff were punks who were in over their heads and would never last in the big leagues. To their discredit, a lot of Sox fans fell for that bull****. My only point is, remember LaRussa's 2,300 victories if people start calling for Ozzie's head (and Kenny's, for that matter).

Vernam

eastchicagosoxfan
02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
My opinion on the matter of Larussa is that he will evaluate his future based on this season. If the Cardinals have a 90+ win season, I look for LaRussa to get a four year deal. At the end of the imaginary contract, he's approaching 70 years of age. If he has good teams, he's 40-50 wins away. It would be a nice exclamation point on a successful career.

DSpivack
02-28-2007, 04:16 AM
My opinion on the matter of Larussa is that he will evaluate his future based on this season. If the Cardinals have a 90+ win season, I look for LaRussa to get a four year deal. At the end of the imaginary contract, he's approaching 70 years of age. If he has good teams, he's 40-50 wins away. It would be a nice exclamation point on a successful career.

If Bobby Cox can do it, then so can LaRussa.