PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields likely to be Charlotte bound

caulfield12
02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/273245,261SPT6.article

Two articles today on Fields. Ozzie said he will get 80% of time at 3B, only 20% in OF.

Wants to look at Perez, Terrero, Owens, Anderson and Erstad as much as possible.

It would seem that Sweeney, Owens or Fields would have to do something amazing, like hit .400, to make the team. I think Anderson might be in AAA as well if he doesn't hit at least .250-.260.

duke of dorwood
02-26-2007, 10:14 AM
All this is about is Arbitration years earned:angry:

caulfield12
02-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I think we'll see a Crede trade in the 07/08 offseason if the White Sox fail to make the playoffs.

You don't want to keep Fields down in AAA for two more full seasons if they know they can't keep Crede.

soxtalker
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I think we'll see a Crede trade in the 07/08 offseason if the White Sox fail to make the playoffs.

You don't want to keep Fields down in AAA for two more full seasons if they know they can't keep Crede.

You're probably right. Now, I think that an interesting question is whether we'll trade Crede even if we're in the play-off hunt. I suspect that, while it isn't a sure thing, he likely will be dealt.

I think that the biggest factor is the back problem. I know that there are plenty of people here who think that he can deal with it through exercise, and they may be right. Hopefully, he's fine this year, as that helps whether he's traded or stays. But the back represents a risk for any long-term contract. The Sox have been willing to take on such risks, but not at high cost (which is what Crede will get/deserve).

Of course, a lot depends on what other teams want Crede and what the Sox will need down the road (e.g., an unexpected injury to another player could change things).

caulfield12
02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
You're probably right. Now, I think that an interesting question is whether we'll trade Crede even if we're in the play-off hunt. I suspect that, while it isn't a sure thing, he likely will be dealt.

I think that the biggest factor is the back problem. I know that there are plenty of people here who think that he can deal with it through exercise, and they may be right. Hopefully, he's fine this year, as that helps whether he's traded or stays. But the back represents a risk for any long-term contract. The Sox have been willing to take on such risks, but not at high cost (which is what Crede will get/deserve).

Of course, a lot depends on what other teams want Crede and what the Sox will need down the road (e.g., an unexpected injury to another player could change things).

Leaving the only question....when could they get the highest rate of return for him, in the middle of the season when a starter gets injured for a contending team, or in the offseason, when teams like the Yankees or Red Sox are more likely to make huge moves?

A lot of the midseason deals now are about dumping salaries, like the Abreu move last year. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Hopefully the White Sox will be contending and KW will hold on to Joe until at least the end of the season...because we don't want a rookie 3B in there at crunch time the final two months, offensively or defensively.

nug0hs
02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Remember:

With Pods out, we have an extra spot on the roster, and with a few days off during week one we wont need to carry an extra pitcher, so someone like Fields or Sweeney (or anyone else who is on the bubble come April 2) can be on our team for the first week for the heck of it and then sent down when Pods returns.

caulfield12
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Remember:

With Pods out, we have an extra spot on the roster, and with a few days off during week one we wont need to carry an extra pitcher, so someone like Fields or Sweeney (or anyone else who is on the bubble come April 2) can be on our team for the first week for the heck of it and then sent down when Pods returns.

1) Why would we want to use one of their options? Fields or Sweeney won't ever be used as "bench" players, although JO might.

2) OG has said he prefers taking an extra arm out of the bullpen, especially if they can find a 3rd LHR, due to all the AL Central match-ups with lefty hitters the first month.

JB98
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
1) Why would we want to use one of their options? Fields or Sweeney won't ever be used as "bench" players, although JO might.

2) OG has said he prefers taking an extra arm out of the bullpen, especially if they can find a 3rd LHR, due to all the AL Central match-ups with lefty hitters the first month.

With all the days off in April, I can figure out why we would break camp with a 12-man pitching staff. Especially since it's Ozzie's style to let starters work deep into games.

I'd rather bring a hard-throwing righty like Aardsma or Masset out of the bullpen to face a Hafner or a Mauer than bring in a lefty like Logan who has already demonstrated he can't find the strike zone.

caulfield12
02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
With all the days off in April, I can figure out why we would break camp with a 12-man pitching staff. Especially since it's Ozzie's style to let starters work deep into games.

I'd rather bring a hard-throwing righty like Aardsma or Masset out of the bullpen to face a Hafner or a Mauer than bring in a lefty like Logan who has already demonstrated he can't find the strike zone.

I think he doesn't want to push the pitching staff too much when the weather's so cold in April...plus you have the rain/snowouts and delayed games, where you have to go to your bullpen instead of having your starter warm up 2-3 times in one game.

I think he's just being protective...

soxfanatlanta
02-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Although I'd love to see these guys play in the bigs, I think some more time in Charlotte would benefit them. Hell, that town is 4 hours away - it benefits me, too :cool:. I saw them play last year and I was impressed; not, "Why are these guys doing down here?" impressed, but that will change with more regular PT this year.

Patience, glasshoppah

JB98
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I think he doesn't want to push the pitching staff too much when the weather's so cold in April...plus you have the rain/snowouts and delayed games, where you have to go to your bullpen instead of having your starter warm up 2-3 times in one game.

I think he's just being protective...

Or maybe he's just trying to foster competition and motivate the guys this spring.

Save McCuddy's
02-26-2007, 10:33 PM
I wanted to see Fields get a chance to compete for Pods's job this spring -- which could yield a 3 way platoon with Erstad/Anderson in center and Erstad/Fields in left. But that was dreamland thinking on my part and does not appear to be in the club's plans.

However, when you get to mid June, if Pods' health is unstable or worse, we'll still have the option of bringing him up. No telling with this club what the situation is going to look like after 60 games. Erstad could be hurt. BA could be flurting with the Mendoza line. If one or more of these scenarios play out, we're set up well to address the issue. Fields could come up. Mack could play everyday (hope this is not the choice). JO or Sweeney could be in the mix. We could deal from the new found pitching depth. These are all viable options and starting the year without burning an option on Josh isn't such a bad idea.

norsepalehoser
02-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Charlotte bound this year and will be in Sox 08 opening day starting lineup. I think Crede will be moved this offseason. Come 2009 I think we will see Owens in LF, Anderson CF, Sweeney RF and Fields at 3B.

Daver
02-26-2007, 10:43 PM
I wanted to see Fields get a chance to compete for Pods's job this spring -- which could yield a 3 way platoon with Erstad/Anderson in center and Erstad/Fields in left. But that was dreamland thinking on my part and does not appear to be in the club's plans.

However, when you get to mid June, if Pods' health is unstable or worse, we'll still have the option of bringing him up. No telling with this club what the situation is going to look like after 60 games. Erstad could be hurt. BA could be flurting with the Mendoza line. If one or more of these scenarios play out, we're set up well to address the issue. Fields could come up. Mack could play everyday (hope this is not the choice). JO or Sweeney could be in the mix. We could deal from the new found pitching depth. These are all viable options and starting the year without burning an option on Josh isn't such a bad idea.

Field's is not an outfielder.

CLR01
02-26-2007, 11:00 PM

Like that would stop Ozzie from putting him out there.

Save McCuddy's
02-26-2007, 11:44 PM

And Mackowiak is a center fielder?

You don't have to be an outfielder to play a credible left. Ask Carlos.

California Sox
02-27-2007, 12:29 AM
There's still stuff for Fields to work on. He struck out over a 140 times last year. Plus, I'd like to see him hone his defensive skills at 3B. I love Crede, but I'm beginning to read the handwriting on the wall and I want Fields to be ready for the inevitable.

But, game-winning three run shot in the intersquad game. :cool:

Murphy10
02-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I have mixed emotions on having Fields in AAA.

First off I'm extremely happy because he will keep on gaining experience, so that he'll keep on getting ready to be a major player in the future sox.

I'm kind of upset though because, I think he is such a respectable player and I want to see a player with the talent he has playing in the majors. But like another poster said, he needs to get his strikeouts down...It's also good to hear that he won the game with a 3 run homer!!

caulfield12
02-27-2007, 03:45 AM
Charlotte bound this year and will be in Sox 08 opening day starting lineup. I think Crede will be moved this offseason. Come 2009 I think we will see Owens in LF, Anderson CF, Sweeney RF and Fields at 3B.

You're going to have essentially 3-4 rookies or players in their first full seasons. KW knows that won't work if you want a legit contender for 08.

Not to mention the Uribe and Iguchi situations are up in the air. I can see those players filling two positions, but not four.

The best two will stay as starters, the others will be bench players or traded.