PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Pearlman on Griffey/Bonds

Jjav829
02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Great column. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/070222) Do yourself a favor and read it. :smile:

With his decline, however, came something beautiful. Ken Griffey Jr. seemed to truly start appreciating the game. He took on a leadership role in the Cincinnati clubhouse, mentoring Adam Dunn as if he were a younger brother. He cracked jokes left and right; bounded out of the dugout with renewed vigor; exchanged smiles with Sean Casey. It was almost as if, with mortality, Griffey discovered fun. For the first time, he was seeing baseball through the eyes of the Scott Fletchers and Kiko Garcias and Shawn Abners and Dan Pasquas of the world; the mediocre denizens who make up 90 percent of the big leagues and struggle each day to survive. Griffey no longer took his abilities for granted. Instead, he cherished what he once was and appreciated what he had left.

:thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
That's a great article. He forgot one thing though, for a long time in 1998, the homerun chase was a three man race between Sosa, McGwire, and Junior. Junior faded down the stretch. He's still probably one of the best all around baseball players of all time (which at one point, Bonds was too), but he took the high road and the article points that out.

norsepalehoser
02-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Griffey is my most favorite player of all time. I hope he stays around for 5 more years or so and gets close to 700 hrs.

goofymsfan
02-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Thank you for sharing the article Jjav .

It was the day when Barry Bonds decided he was bigger than the game, and Ken Griffey Jr. decided the game was bigger than him. It was the day Barry Bonds committed himself to greed. It was the day Ken Griffey Jr. committed himself to happiness.

Doesn't this just say it all?

tstrike2000
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Definitely an in your face article in the portions about Bonds. It goes into some surprising detail beyond the performance enhancing drugs into the man himself making him look worse than he already does, if that's possible.

On the other hand, it was a great to read about the perspective on Griffey. Even though he's been injury plagued since going to the Reds, his attitude has really gone through a sort of renaissance. It's such a shame with the "legacy" Bonds is going to leave behind along with the whole steroids era, beyond players like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Caminiti, etc. It definitely makes you want to root for guys like Griffey and Thomas. They've been through greatness, but dealt with injury, attitude, personality conflicts while staying clean through it all. They can be true first ballot HOF's of the steroid era staying clean.

Tiger23
02-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Suddenly I like Griffey even more than I used to. I've always been a fan of his, and even begged my dad to bring to to a game in which rookie Jeff Weaver was pitching against the Mariners so I could see how he would do against Jr. It would be great to see him have just one more good year before he heads out to pasture.

BiggestFan14
03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Awesome article. Griffey has always been my favorite baseball player. I think he is one of the best of this era and deserves more attention than all the cheaters get.