PDA

View Full Version : David Wells on playing in Boston

Fenway
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
"Outside the ballpark, it was hard. You can't go anywhere, especially if you're not pitching well. You get the business from [fans]. You can't enjoy your family time. Your alone time is gone because you're subject to photographs nonstop. It was the worst. You go to a mall with your kids and you have people always wanting to take pictures. They should call it 'Picturetown' not 'Beantown.'

"Listen, I know the people are Red Sox-friendly. They love the Red Sox. I understand that. They have to understand that when we're not at the ballpark, we're not subject to autographs and pictures and we need to be able to enjoy ourselves. I don't think they see that and don't get it."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/02/25/wells_weighs_in_on_boston/?page=full

MUsoxfan
02-25-2007, 04:10 PM
David Wells has always been one of my favorite players. He always says what he feels and I appreciate his honesty

MarySwiss
02-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, I guess that kind of puts the kibosh on any Wells Red Sox comeback, eh Fens?

Really though; what's the point of bashing a city whose team you no longer play for? I'm sure Red Sox fans could not care less what he does or doesn't "understand."

areilly
02-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, I guess that kind of puts the kibosh on any Wells Red Sox comeback, eh Fens?

Really though; what's the point of bashing a city whose team you no longer play for? I'm sure Red Sox fans could not care less what he does or doesn't "understand."

Part of it might just be a reluctance to make an intense situation worse; if people are hounding you for having the gall to play in their city, imagine the hell it would become if you were to say that *gasp* the city wasn't a ballplayer's best friend? And how many columnists/sports radio hosts would get on him about how as a ballplayer he "owes it to the fans" to be accessible 24/7?

I imagine Fenway can shine a better light on what it's like out there.

MarySwiss
02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Part of it might just be a reluctance to make an intense situation worse; if people are hounding you for having the gall to play in their city, imagine the hell it would become if you were to say that *gasp* the city wasn't a ballplayer's best friend? And how many columnists/sports radio hosts would get on him about how as a ballplayer he "owes it to the fans" to be accessible 24/7?

I imagine Fenway can shine a better light on what it's like out there.

Or--and here's a novel idea--he could just not say anything.

areilly
02-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Or--and here's a novel idea--he could just not say anything.

Silence and taking the high road were never really Boomer's strong suit...haha

jabrch
02-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Are all the Red Sox boards shut down?

itsnotrequired
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Are all the Red Sox boards shut down?

Royal Rooters is up.

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

Why do you ask?

MincHiaPettito
02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I really have trouble feeling for attention whores, such as Wells, cry about privacy. I guess you can bundle Britney Spears into that as well

Zabimaru
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/02/25/wells_weighs_in_on_boston/?page=full

Common Knowledge, David. Tell us something we don't know.

...so sayeth Zabimaru