PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Harris

Daver
03-16-2002, 06:15 PM
From the Daily Herald. (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox_story.asp?intID=3733136)

RedPinStripes
03-16-2002, 06:48 PM
It's kind of a rip off to Ozzie Smith, but I think that would get the croud going at Comiskey. He wouldn't be a bad guy to have off the bench at all. He seems like he could be a fan favorite one day.

LongDistanceFan
03-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
It's kind of a rip off to Ozzie Smith, but I think that would get the croud going at Comiskey. He wouldn't be a bad guy to have off the bench at all. He seems like he could be a fan favorite one day. you are right, about ripping off ozzie, but he said it was for enterainment and you are right, i think it would get the crowd going.

RedPinStripes
03-16-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
you are right, about ripping off ozzie, but he said it was for enterainment and you are right, i think it would get the crowd going.

I know i'd look forward to seeing wee-willie come flippin out of the dug out. He's have my cheers.

RichH55
03-16-2002, 07:46 PM
But if Harris pans out then people might actually have to give KW a microrobe of praise....and that is just plain distasteful to some around here:)

ihatethecubs
03-16-2002, 08:22 PM
who cares if he's ripping of ozzie smith, that would be awesome, and anyways it's better to rip off ozzie than to rip off sammy and run out there with an american flag and thump your chest and blow cubbie kisses

Daver
03-16-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
who cares if he's ripping of ozzie smith, that would be awesome, and anyways it's better to rip off ozzie than to rip off sammy and run out there with an american flag and thump your chest and blow cubbie kisses

Love the sig Hate.

LongDistanceFan
03-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
But if Harris pans out then people might actually have to give KW a microrobe of praise....and that is just plain distasteful to some around here:) but that is one trade that may pan, so how bout those that didn't........... every dog has its day.

Pete_SSAC
03-16-2002, 09:00 PM
""Oh, yeah,'' Harris said. "If I'm on the team, watch me when I come out to the field. Hopefully, it'll happen this year.''

In the mix: He might be the White Sox' fourth or fifth starter this season.

Or, he might be a long reliever.

Now, I'm not journalism major, but I KNOW that's no way to go about a a transition, HTat's bad bad bad and wierd.

- Pete

RichH55
03-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
but that is one trade that may pan, so how bout those that didn't........... every dog has its day.

True enough, and KW has made more than his fair share of bad moves(Royce, Sandy)...but he isn't the worst out there...he'll steal a Glover or a Harris every now and again and is a risk taker.....I was just saying that mainly to the people who are all over KW for everything(not just Royce/Sandy)...people who take KW to task for the Herbert Perry Trade or the Jeff Abbott trade....people who basically don't like him and are willing to try and fit every move into the KW sucks box...I'm trying to avoid doing this with Royce, so I'm more cogicant of the fact when others are prone to do it

baggio202
03-18-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

True enough, and KW has made more than his fair share of bad moves(Royce, Sandy)...but he isn't the worst out there...he'll steal a Glover or a Harris every now and again and is a risk taker.....I was just saying that mainly to the people who are all over KW for everything(not just Royce/Sandy)...people who take KW to task for the Herbert Perry Trade or the Jeff Abbott trade....people who basically don't like him and are willing to try and fit every move into the KW sucks box...I'm trying to avoid doing this with Royce, so I'm more cogicant of the fact when others are prone to do it

i wouldnt call glover for eyre a steal....one year in the blue jays farm system and they seemed to have worked out eyre's control problems...he had a 3.45 era in 15 games with the jays last year and this year he is unscored upon in spring training and blue jays manager already named him a starter..maybe as high as their number 3 starter

kermittheefrog
03-18-2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

i wouldnt call glover for eyre a steal....one year in the blue jays farm system and they seemed to have worked out eyre's control problems...he had a 3.45 era in 15 games with the jays last year and this year he is unscored upon in spring training and blue jays manager already named him a starter..maybe as high as their number 3 starter

I haven't seen anything about Eyre being named a starter and I don't see how he could break into the Blue Jays top 5. Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter finally pitched like what was expected from them last year. Esteban Loaiza has good stuff and makes a lot of money, they want him in the rotation if only to shop him. Luke Prokopec was brought in from LA and Brandon Lyon reached the majors before he could pop up on major league prospect lists and pitched well. They may not be the 93 Braves as a rotation but if Scott Eyre is breaking into that group he must have added an extra 5 miles to his fastball or something.

baggio202
03-18-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I haven't seen anything about Eyre being named a starter and I don't see how he could break into the Blue Jays top 5. Roy Halladay and Chris Carpenter finally pitched like what was expected from them last year. Esteban Loaiza has good stuff and makes a lot of money, they want him in the rotation if only to shop him. Luke Prokopec was brought in from LA and Brandon Lyon reached the majors before he could pop up on major league prospect lists and pitched well. They may not be the 93 Braves as a rotation but if Scott Eyre is breaking into that group he must have added an extra 5 miles to his fastball or something.

ive read in 3 different sources...and its funny you mention that because thats exactly what toronto is saying..they worked with eyre in the minors last year and changed his delivery..and he is throwing consistently at 96 mph..

the only story i could dig up on the net was this one from last week...there are a few more stories on eyre...i couldnt remember where i saw them at..since then he has pitched some more shut out innings..

this is from CNN-SI

Blue Jays manager Buck Martinez told the Toronto Star that Eyre has the leg up in the team's final spot in the starting rotation. Eyre has thrown eight shutout innings this spring.

Paulwny
03-18-2002, 09:45 AM
Martinez named him 5th starter last week.

Eyre on the rise
By MIKE GANTER -- Toronto Sun

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Prior to his first start of the spring yesterday, Scott Eyre dropped by the Minnesota Twins minor-league facility looking for his younger brother Willie.

He was more than a little surprised to learn his brother had been called up for the day for bullpen duty.

Already pumped about his first start of the spring -- manager Buck Martinez named Eyre the fifth man just this week -- the Blue Jays' Eyre got even a little more juiced.

Randar68
03-18-2002, 11:29 AM
ive read in 3 different sources...and its funny you mention that because thats exactly what toronto is saying..they worked with eyre in the minors last year and changed his delivery..and he is throwing consistently at 96 mph..

Ummmmm, If Eyre is throwing 96 mph, then I'm George Bush...

Iwritecode
03-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Don't they use the metric system up there? Maybe they meant that he was throwing 96 kilometers per hour...

Iwritecode
03-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Martinez named him 5th starter last week.

Eyre on the rise
By MIKE GANTER -- Toronto Sun

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Prior to his first start of the spring yesterday, Scott Eyre dropped by the Minnesota Twins minor-league facility looking for his younger brother Willie.

Willie Eyre? That is one erie sounding name. Gives me the willies... :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Don't they use the metric system up there? Maybe they meant that he was throwing 96 kilometers per hour...

LOL! I think that's how some of those Japanese fireballers got their reputations, too.

BTW, does Toronto have to pay their team in American dollars? Paying them Canadian is like a 33 percent salary cut for the player.

And it's impossible to find a football game with a fourth down, too.

:)

Paulwny
03-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

BTW, does Toronto have to pay their team in American dollars? Paying them Canadian is like a 33 percent salary cut for the player.
:)

Yep, all contracts in US dollars. I also believe that most hockey players have the US $$$ clause in their contracts.

Mathew
03-18-2002, 01:20 PM
I can see this becoming a bash Canada post with that football thing. The Grey Cup (Super Bowl of Canada) in in it's like 88th year or something history is on their side. My friend is Dan Blackburn 18yr old backup for the Rangers (hell of a catcher to we tried to convince the Expos to take him in the 50th round.) Makes 1.25 mill U.S. which down here is even more. But for the Jays to pay Assgato 17mill is plain stupid when it's 25mill they have to generate.

Mathew
03-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

The Canadian station did a great add when the Jays had Clemons the had him pitching in Spring and the gun says 155 and he's all punped up he throws another and it's 158 and he's pumping his fists throws again and gets 160 and yells out Let's get this season started! The pan over to the Manager who says Should we tell him it's Kilometers?

FarWestChicago
03-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Makes 1.25 mill U.S. which down here is even more. Hey, we're "down here". You're "up there". And I like Canada. I would hate to see any Canuck bashing. :smile:

Mathew
03-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Hey, we're "down here". You're "up there". And I like Canada. I would hate to see any Canuck bashing. :smile:

Quite right I appologise I live in the South of Alberta(aatts my excuse) I know you guys let me go when I spell the following words Rumour, Colour, Centre, for example Eh! So I'm not worried about Canadian bashing.

RedPinStripes
03-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

Quite right I appologise I live in the South of Alberta(aatts my excuse) I know you guys let me go when I spell the following words Rumour, Colour, Centre, for example Eh! So I'm not worried about Canadian bashing.

Aye??? :)

baggio202
03-18-2002, 02:46 PM

he threw about 93 when he was here...if they made some changes is not that unlikely he could gain 3 mph....maybe we just dont want to admit the sox havent got a clue as to how to develop pitching..the only one of these great crop of youngsters to do anything has been buehrle....and he wasnt even suppose to become anything...so they probably didnt mess with him and screw him up..

btw..nice to meet ya mr bush..i voted for ya :smile:

Randar68
03-18-2002, 03:48 PM

he threw about 93 when he was here...if they made some changes is not that unlikely he could gain 3 mph....maybe we just dont want to admit the sox havent got a clue as to how to develop pitching..the only one of these great crop of youngsters to do anything has been buehrle....and he wasnt even suppose to become anything...so they probably didnt mess with him and screw him up..

You must be basing that off the gun readings displayed on the LF bulletin Board. That gun is anywhere between 3-7 mph off, guaranteed...

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2002, 03:58 PM

You must be basing that off the gun readings displayed on the LF bulletin Board. That gun is anywhere between 3-7 mph off, guaranteed...

LOL. I saw that one hard-throwing guy on the Tigers (the one with the big hair) hit 102mph a couple pitches in a row in '00. He was fast, but not THAT fast...

Randar68
03-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

LOL. I saw that one hard-throwing guy on the Tigers (the one with the big hair) hit 102mph a couple pitches in a row in '00. He was fast, but not THAT fast...

I saw Fatolo Colon hitting OVER 100 in the 8th inning last April when it was about 35 degrees outside...

baggio202
03-18-2002, 04:35 PM

I saw Fatolo Colon hitting OVER 100 in the 8th inning last April when it was about 35 degrees outside...

all im doing is reporting what i read....whatever happen with eyre something did to make him a better pitcher...

Randar68
03-18-2002, 04:43 PM

all im doing is reporting what i read....whatever happen with eyre something did to make him a better pitcher...

Hey man, I never said you were lying, all I said was that if you actually believe that, then I have some valuable swamp-land in Florida you should take a look at!

baggio202
03-18-2002, 05:34 PM

Hey man, I never said you were lying, all I said was that if you actually believe that, then I have some valuable swamp-land in Florida you should take a look at!

well the way the everglades are drying up..you might want to hang onto that land :D:

right now eyre has 12 ip and 15 k's...i cant say i believe or disbelieve because i havent seen eyre pitch since he left..but when he gets his first start i am gonna go to my favorite watering hole(which has a dish) and watch him for myself...
things like this bother me...first sturtz..now eyre...these guy absolutely sucked with us...now sturtz is winning 11-12 games a year for TAMPA!!..and eyre is doing somethimg different...if kip wells wins 20 games this year someone has to look into how we are developing these pitchers..cause we are missing something

Paulwny
03-18-2002, 05:58 PM

if kip wells wins 20 games this year someone has to look into how we are developing these pitchers..cause we are missing something

All the young guns looked fine in the minors, were called up and then Nardi got a hold of them.

Daver
03-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

All the young guns looked fine in the minors, were called up and then Nardi got a hold of them.

Notice a trend?

:firenardi

bjmarte
03-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by daver

Notice a trend?

:firenardi

Not that I ever doubted you, but I am beleiving this more and more.