PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Jerry Owens

caulfield12
02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/272253,251SPT1.article

KRS1
02-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I've made it no secret that I completely disagree with those who think he can't play in the bigs. I hope he gets a good long look this ST, especially against righties. A leadoff platoon of him and Pablo could end up being our best bet while Pods is out. For some reason, I don't think it hurts him as much as say a Sweeney or Fields to get part time play, and it may help him more to get acquainted to major league pitchers. With Erstad in camp(and Rob deserving PT and a shot in lF too), I don't think Jerry gets the full chance he deserves, but either way I'll be rooting for him all the way.

caulfield12
02-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I've made it no secret that I completely disagree with those who think he can't play in the bigs. I hope he gets a good long look this ST, especially against righties. A leadoff platoon of him and Pablo could end up being our best bet while Pods is out. For some reason, I don't think it hurts him as much as say a Sweeney or Fields to get part time play, and it may help him more to get acquainted to major league pitchers. With Erstad in camp(and Rob deserving PT and a shot in lF too), I don't think Jerry gets the full chance he deserves, but either way I'll be rooting for him all the way.

He would have a much better chance without the presence of Mackowiak on the team, you might even put him at 50/50 to make the team in that scenario.

WhiteSox5187
02-25-2007, 04:42 PM
He would have a much better chance without the presence of Mackowiak on the team, you might even put him at 50/50 to make the team in that scenario.
Yea, I agree, but Mackowiak to be fair was brought in to be infield help and was used as outfield help last year.

I'm not so sure that this is Sweeney's year. I don't think it helps him at all to be riding the bench this year. I think next year though, he'll be a big factor and will come through for us.

caulfield12
02-25-2007, 05:07 PM
A lot depends on what happens with Dye.

Sweeney's most natural position is RF, then LF. He would be among the 3 best leftfielders in the game, but a lot depends on the White Sox finding a leadoff hitter at SS or 2B for that to take place.

Obviously, Pods' situation is up in the air as well.

AJ Hellraiser
02-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I've also said that I believe he can play in the majors.... While I've never seen him run, I hear he is just lightning quick... if he can figure out how to hit ML pitching, he would be a terrific leadoff man

maurice
02-26-2007, 12:45 PM
My prediction: Owens will make the team out of ST, go down when Podsednik is ready, and then have a big year for Charlotte (.300+ AVE, lots of steals, lots of runs scored).

You need to keep Owens' history in mind when you evaluate him. Two-sport athlete. A bit of a late start to pro ball. Skipped a level yet won the batting title in his 1st year at AA (a huge leap from the SAL). Promoted to AAA the next year (2006), struggled early, and then came on late. According to the article, he made the AFL All-Prospect Team. Nobody doubts that he has the physical tools.

Zabimaru
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Owens could bring something to the table, provided he has the chance, and Pods might need time, so for now, let Owens shine.

...so sayeth Zabimaru