PDA

View Full Version : Ozuna, Erstad to start opening day

caulfield12
02-25-2007, 08:59 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070224soxbits,1,5247788.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

And Pods is ahead of schedule...good news all around.

IndianWhiteSox
02-25-2007, 09:23 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070224soxbits,1,5247788.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

And Pods is ahead of schedule...good news all around.

Not a bad situation for the time being, especially with Erstad showing that he can still lead-off, but shouldn't this thread be in Sox Clubhouse?

hi im skot
02-25-2007, 10:07 AM
It sounds like the writer is jumping to conclusions. If Anderson has a strong spring, the starting job is his.

DarkHorse35
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Ozuna is a .391 lifetime hitter (9-for-23) against Sabathia.

Wait a Sox hitter actually ahs some success against CC, when did this happen?

Jurr
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
It sounds like the writer is jumping to conclusions. If Anderson has a strong spring, the starting job is his.
Very true, but one thing about this situation that makes me smile is the fact that they're giving Erstad, a short swinging contact guy, a look. His numbers have been down, but he has been battling injuries.

I think Ozzie is going to be really tough on the team to get back to some variety in the offensive approach, and that can only help as the year shapes up. If this team can get back to manufacturing its way to early leads and late inning rallies, it'll make everything better. Pitchers can settle in with leads, opposing pitchers will be less comfortable, and the power guys will be under less pressure to hit the ball out of the park every time up.

chisoxmike
02-25-2007, 10:44 AM
It doesn't say WILL start...

Guillen hinted that right-handed hitter Pablo Ozuna could lead off on Opening Day against Cleveland left-hander C.C. Sabathia, with Darin Erstad starting in center.

KRS1
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Man, I knew Erstad being here was going to give Ozzie another chance to mess with Anderson again. Just let the kid go out there every day, and if he fails, then you platoon him, but you can't continually jerk him around like last year. Anyway, this article is nothing close to a guarantee, so I'm not going to look too deep into it yet.

oeo
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Man, I knew Erstad being here was going to give Ozzie another chance to mess with Anderson again. Just let the kid go out there every day, and if he fails, then you platoon him, but you can't continually jerk him around like last year. Anyway, this article is nothing close to a guarantee, so I'm not going to look too deep into it yet.

This crap doesn't even have a quote...take it for what it's worth (aka crap).

Milw
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Anyone else see this line at the bottom of the article?

Believe it or not, Sox shortstop Juan Uribe played center field and batted leadoff for Colorado on June 15, 2003, making three putouts and going 1-for-5 at Detroit's spacious Comerica Park in a 5-4 victory.

:?: And your point is? Where did that come from? Am I missing something, or is that just completely out of nowhere?

goon
02-25-2007, 10:36 PM

yeah, agreed. it makes sense that ozzie assumes podsednik won't be ready by opening day, but erstad in center? I see that as a position open to competition, let spring training dictate who starts opening day. if anderson is hitting, i'd like to see him in the lineup.

oeo
02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah, agreed. it makes sense that ozzie assumes podsednik won't be ready by opening day, but erstad in center? I see that as a position open to competition, let spring training dictate who starts opening day. if anderson is hitting, i'd like to see him in the lineup.

Has anyone even heard Ozzie say this? It wouldn't surprise me if he was just naming his choices, and Gonzalez ran with it. Like I said before, there's not even a quote, so who knows?

I doubt Ozzie is making Opening Day decisions a week into Spring Training.

KRS1
02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Anyone else see this line at the bottom of the article?

:?: And your point is? Where did that come from? Am I missing something, or is that just completely out of nowhere?

That is rather random. Maybe he's just trying to show how he was once considered a pretty versatile athlete, to coorlate with what the Sox want him to get back to. I remember when we first got him, the scouting report I read on him mentioned his athleticism.

StillMissOzzie
02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I love Pablo coming in off the bench, but I cringe when I see him starting in LF.
How about Erstad starting in LF while Pods continues to recuperate, and leave Anderson in CF?

SMO
:?:

Etownsox13
02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I love Pablo coming in off the bench, but I cringe when I see him starting in LF.
How about Erstad starting in LF while Pods continues to recuperate, and leave Anderson in CF?

SMO
:?:

I agree...please spare us from watching the train wreck that is Pablo playing the OF

Sad
02-26-2007, 08:57 AM

no kidding... isn't that what spring training is intended for?

caulfield12
02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I think it mostly has to do with Ozuna's lifetime stats against Sabathia more than anything else.

oeo
02-26-2007, 09:03 AM
I think it mostly has to do with Ozuna's lifetime stats against Sabathia more than anything else.

I can understand Ozuna, but not Erstad. I'm not sure what kind of range Erstad has in centerfield anymore, but if it's not that great, I don't like having him and Ozuna in the same outfield (actually, I don't like Ozuna in the outfield, period).

And if Brian earns the job over the next month, he should be starting on Opening Day, IMO.

havelj
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Don't assume CC will start Opening Day. He could get hurt or eat himself out of the job.

How about a little before and after of CC?

http://www.prosportspictures.com/images/mlb/cleveland-indians/2005/05-cc-sabathia-studio-sm.jpg

http://www.wrex.com/Images/0927sabathia.jpg

NorthSideSox72
02-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Has anyone even heard Ozzie say this? It wouldn't surprise me if he was just naming his choices, and Gonzalez ran with it. Like I said before, there's not even a quote, so who knows?

Exactly. Ozzie is trying to motivate his guys as well (in his own bizarre way). And let's remember that many people were upset that Anderson was just gifted the job last spring, so now we have what they wanted - competition. And I think Ozzie sees Anderson as big-headed, so he is trying to get him in line by showing him that nothing is given.

Unless Anderson does horrible (play and attitude) this spring, I think he has the starting job in CF. But Ozzie will probably play Erstad a lot in relief (which is better than having Mack out there).

russ99
02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Good to hear about Pods.

This is a big year for him, considering the questions about his play from last season and that next offseason is a big contract year for him.

I'm hoping he'll really step up.