PDA

View Full Version : Zach Greinke saga over?

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/271328,241SPT8.article

It was interesting, I heard his interview and he's a bundle of contradictions.

Basically, it came down to he didn't like his teammates or being part of a team. He made a comment about preferring to "mow lawns with his headphones on" instead of being a pro baseball player

Then he discovered that you had to relate to people in "real life" as well as baseball. He's trying to convince himself the problem wasn't just baseball-related. He also said he hasn't gone to a counselor since last February and doesn't think there's anything at all wrong with him...that there was "nothing he would want to change."

COOP CAN FIX HIM! He's a combo of Oprah, Dr. Phil, Deepak Chopra and Tony Robbins, except he has a NY accent.

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/16762718.htm

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/16753267.htm

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I hate to say it, but it seems that this guy will keep going through the motions of his mental ailment for a while. I would like to see a guy like him be mentally cured to a point where he can fulfill his potential in baseball, but I'm not sure that will happen with this guy as it seems that for the majority of his MLB career he seems to be bi-polar or something. Maybe Greinke's mental illness causes the Royals to release him in 2 years and he comes to the Sox and Coops turns him into the Ace that everyone thought he would be. Although, if this guy did get his head straightened out and the Royals gave up on him, it would be interesting to see if Sox fans would want a mentally stable Grienke on their team or not? When I first heard about this story, I thought it was because he pitched for a team in the middle of nowhere, where civilization doesn't exist!
:tongue:

ondafarm
02-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't think the Royals are very good at straightening guys out, among other things.

NardiWasHere
02-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't think the Royals are very good at straightening guys out, among other things.

among other things. Most notably....... Baseball.

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Teahen has come around. DeJesus is a nice player. They've incubated the careers of Damon, Dye and Mike Sweeney. They just made bad trades for the former two guys, and should have traded the latter when they had a chance. Berroa has mysteriously regressed, worse than anything we've seen out of Uribe recently. He was ROY over Matsui, remember? They also have Alex Gordon and Billy Butler who look legit.

Among others, Miguel Batista and Jeff Suppan have been "rehabilitated" in KC. But they have not had luck with Sisco, Affeldt, Denny Bautista, Runelvys Hernandez, Jose Rosado (AL All-Star before injury), Burgos...any number of first round pitching draft picks,

IndianWhiteSox
02-25-2007, 02:56 AM

Teahen has come around. DeJesus is a nice player. They've incubated the careers of Damon, Dye and Mike Sweeney. They just made bad trades for the former two guys, and should have traded the latter when they had a chance. Berroa has mysteriously regressed, worse than anything we've seen out of Uribe recently. He was ROY over Matsui, remember? They also have Alex Gordon and Billy Butler who look legit.

Among others, Miguel Batista and Jeff Suppan have been "rehabilitated" in KC. But they have not had luck with Sisco, Affeldt, Denny Bautista, Runelvys Hernandez, Jose Rosado (AL All-Star before injury), Burgos...any number of first round pitching draft picks,

I think the magic words are "young pitchers" that are usually mishandled in KC. Caufield, how the hell did that teams go from perrenial playoff contender to where they are now? I know for a fact, it can't be all on the John Scherholtz departure from 21 years ago? Can it?

caulfield12
02-25-2007, 06:21 AM
I think the magic words are "young pitchers" that are usually mishandled in KC. Caufield, how the hell did that teams go from perrenial playoff contender to where they are now? I know for a fact, it can't be all on the John Scherholtz departure from 21 years ago? Can it?

Simple...look at their first round draft picks since the 90's began. Actually, you can go back to Kevin Appier...and the problem has continued with Greinke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/draft?team=kan

2) Since Kauffman died, the team was run by a bunch a "corporate" types, then as a "business" by Glass (Wal-Mart), moreso than a hobby

3) The stadium limits their revenues, although it's one of the most beautiful stadiums left of those built in the late 60's/early 70's in the US

4) The fact that the Chiefs have ruled "entertainment" dollars in KC since the late 80's...and that KC fans are like White Sox fans, they don't support losing teams

5) Not enough return when they traded Damon and Dye, and they've had a pretty much useless $11 million dollar DH in Sweeney for the past 2-3 years...

6) No continuity in their pitching and developmental philosphies...between minor and major leagues

IndianWhiteSox
02-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Simple...look at their first round draft picks since the 90's began. Actually, you can go back to Kevin Appier...and the problem has continued with Greinke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/draft?team=kan

2) Since Kauffman died, the team was run by a bunch a "corporate" types, then as a "business" by Glass (Wal-Mart), moreso than a hobby

3) The stadium limits their revenues, although it's one of the most beautiful stadiums left of those built in the late 60's/early 70's in the US

4) The fact that the Chiefs have ruled "entertainment" dollars in KC since the late 80's...and that KC fans are like White Sox fans, they don't support losing teams

5) Not enough return when they traded Damon and Dye, and they've had a pretty much useless $11 million dollar DH in Sweeney for the past 2-3 years...

6) No continuity in their pitching and developmental philosphies...between minor and major leagues

Don't forget about the Beltran deal either, and not to mention in the Mark McGwire trade, they were the ones that gave up Hudson or Zito.

chaerulez
02-25-2007, 08:07 AM
This makes me wonder what happened to I think it was Todd Worrell, the former Cubs and Phillies pitcher that admitted himself to a mental health clinic a while back. Anyways, I hope these players have overcome whatever it is they have been suffering from.

caulfield12
02-25-2007, 09:54 AM
The Royals got Teahen, John Buck (who they thought would be a long-term answer) and Mike Wood (P) back for Beltran. Wood was obviously the wrong call.

They essentially traded Dye for Neifi Perez, one of the worst trades ever...as they had to replace Rey Sanchez, who turned down a contract with the Royals worth around $5 million, only to find out he was worth much less on the open market.

It was McGwire for Blake Stein, Eric Ludwick and TJ Mathews, all pitchers who have disappeared.

Stein came to the Royals in a later trade, with Laxton, for a Kevin Appier who was nearing the end of his career.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=92711
This article pretty much sums it all up.

Not sure where you got Zito or Hudson in any of these moves, or Mulder for that matter.

IndianWhiteSox
02-25-2007, 11:19 AM
The Royals got Teahen, John Buck (who they thought would be a long-term answer) and Mike Wood (P) back for Beltran. Wood was obviously the wrong call.

They essentially traded Dye for Neifi Perez, one of the worst trades ever...as they had to replace Rey Sanchez, who turned down a contract with the Royals worth around $5 million, only to find out he was worth much less on the open market.

It was McGwire for Blake Stein, Eric Ludwick and TJ Mathews, all pitchers who have disappeared.

Stein came to the Royals in a later trade, with Laxton, for a Kevin Appier who was nearing the end of his career.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=92711
This article pretty much sums it all up.

Not sure where you got Zito or Hudson in any of these moves, or Mulder for that matter.

Must have confused that, with another trade.
:redface:

JGarlandrules20
02-25-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm really glad that he's not letting this defeat him and not giving up on baseball. He has the potential to be a really great pitcher.

The only thing that I read was he was diagnosed with social anxiety. Ricky Williams, reportedly, also suffers from that.