PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Floyd fans, bad for Sweeney fans?

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 07:12 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070223soxbits,1,4723499.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/270723,CST-SPT-soxnt24.article

Apparently, none of the "rookies" (Anderson, Sweeney, Owens) will stay with the Sox unless they are the everyday starter.

And KW had positive words about Broadway's two-seam fastball. Interesting, I've never heard anyone go overboard praising Lance's stuff.

kobo
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree with Ozzie. If the rookies are not going to start then send them to Triple A and let them play everyday and get at-bats and work on their position. Sitting on the bench is not going to help any of them.

And KW likes Broadway's 2 seam fastball. That's all either article said. I read nothing in either article that sounded like KW going overboard in praising Broadway. Unless you take "especially raving" as going overboard.

FedEx227
02-24-2007, 08:36 AM
I gotta agree with what he's saying about Floyd. I saw him pitch last year in Milwaukee and I even remember telling my friends, "If Floyd ever gets on the White Sox, Cooper is going to speed him up." He did the usual National League... get the ball, walk around the mound, whipe your hat, play with the ball, etc. This style has worked for Cooper thus far, especially with Jose, let's hope it works for Floyd too.

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 09:23 AM
This worked with Contreras especially well.

Not so much with Garcia. Vazquez was somewhere in the middle, but he would REALLY slow down when there were runners on base in pressure situations...I remember that Yankees' home game (ESPN) that we ended up winning going on seemingly forever with Javier was out there.

But it's all about rhythm and comfortability on the mound.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by PaulDrake
If we get double digit wins from Gavin Floyd this year I'll buy a case of Stella Artois and make sure I toast him every time I pop the cap.

Quote: Originally Posted by IndianWhiteSox
I'm gonna hold you to that as I think he could be the surprise of the year maybe winning 15 games with Coop as the pitching coach and also at the proper age where pitchers seem to turn the corner.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/misc/progress.gif

If he's already adapting to Coop, then my prediction will definitely come true.
:cool:

ondafarm
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Keeping a pitcher in a groove also means getting them not to think too much. Just get the ball, get the sign and throw it.

jabrch
02-24-2007, 11:30 AM
All we gave up was 1 year of Freddy Garcia to get Gavin Floyd AND Gio Gonzalez.

Here's to you Kenny. :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
02-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Yea, I think it makes sense to have Sweeney and Fields start in triple A if they're not going to start up here, this way we can give Fields time in the outfield too if we keep Crede.

As for Floyd, I still have him winning 12 games and looking like Garland circa 2004 which is pretty good for a fifth starter.

TheVulture
02-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree with Ozzie.
With Anderson and Sweeney, yes. But does Owens even project as a starter at this point? Seems like a fifth OFer to me, if that.

PalehosePlanet
02-24-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree on the Sweeney/Fields/Owens getting every day playing time in AAA, but not with Brian Anderson. I would keep him around for late inning defense and 2 starts a week. With a late inning --- or any time for that matter --- defense of Dye in RF, Anderson in CF and Erstad in LF I'd be very comfortable. In fact this trio would be as good as any in the league.

Everyone keeps harping on our ERA jumping a run last year, but w/Pods in LF and Mack in CF all the opponenets had to do is just hit it in the air (center/right-center to left.) In my opinion the CF and LF defense cost our team ERA about .25 - .35 last year.

kittle42
02-24-2007, 07:30 PM
All we gave up was 1 year of Freddy Garcia to get Gavin Floyd AND Gio Gonzalez.

Here's to you Kenny. :gulp:

Nobody's thrown a real pitch yet.

jabrch
02-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Nobody's thrown a real pitch yet.

Everyone knows that.

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I agree on the Sweeney/Fields/Owens getting every day playing time in AAA, but not with Brian Anderson. I would keep him around for late inning defense and 2 starts a week. With a late inning --- or any time for that matter --- defense of Dye in RF, Anderson in CF and Erstad in LF I'd be very comfortable. In fact this trio would be as good as any in the league.

Everyone keeps harping on our ERA jumping a run last year, but w/Pods in LF and Mack in CF all the opponenets had to do is just hit it in the air (center/right-center to left.) In my opinion the CF and LF defense cost our team ERA about .25 - .35 last year.

MAYBE, MAYBE 0.1, but no more.

rdivaldi
02-24-2007, 07:59 PM
And KW had positive words about Broadway's two-seam fastball. Interesting, I've never heard anyone go overboard praising Lance's stuff.

I agree with that, Lance has basically been quietly going about his business ever since we drafted him. Last ST he impressed me greatly with his pinpoint control, especially with his fastball. Of course he has to have that control when you're only throwing 88- 91, but adding a two seamer will make his four seamer that much better.