PDA

View Full Version : Angels Fan Forum...Thoughts on Erstad

AZChiSoxFan
02-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I was just over looking at the Angels fan forum (you can get there from the post stuck here on other teams' fan sites) and there is a thread about Erstad. It was very nice to read. Almost everyone who posted mentioned what a classy guy he is and one refered to him as a "gamer." They were sad to see him leave and it sounds like he's going to get a great ovation when the Sox venture to Anaheim in early May this year. I guess right after he signed with the Sox he took out a half page ad in the Orange County Register thanking the fans for their support during his time there.

It was nice to read their comments about Erstad.

IndianWhiteSox
02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
What did Halo say?

That's good that they're not holding a grudge against him because their own management didn't want him.

caulfield12
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
What did Halo say?

That's good that they're not holding a grudge against him because their own management didn't want him.

I think they will regret signing Matthews to that crazy contract.

They lost Rivera to injury, but they have Anderson and Guerrero. Paying Erstad $8 million coming into this year would have been a stretch for any team, but I think we might end up with a Dye-like bargain when all is said and done.

It's one of those deals, like the $1+ million for Ohka, that the team has such a greater upside on than the downside risk.

IndianWhiteSox
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I think they will regret signing Matthews to that crazy contract.

They lost Rivera to injury, but they have Anderson and Guerrero. Paying Erstad $8 million coming into this year would have been a stretch for any team, but I think we might end up with a Dye-like bargain when all is said and done.

It's one of those deals, like the $1+ million for Ohka, that the team has such a greater upside on than the downside risk.

By this time next year, people in LA or Anaheim or OC will be calling for Stonehead's job as Matthews will show that he was a fluke.

The Immigrant
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Halo is still dangling "Figgy" for Crede straight up, but only if we act quickly.

caulfield12
02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
By this time next year, people in LA or Anaheim or OC will be calling for Stonehead's job as Matthews will show that he was a fluke.

Not to mention never dealing some combination of Saunders/Santana, Wood, Aybar, McPherson, Kotchmann, Morales, Kendrick or Willits to get a quality "impact" bat back in return. Then adding another 1B/DH in Hillenbrand...and having no idea what to do with Chone Figgins.

Plus they have no idea if Colon will be 100%, and when. Another KW "non-signing/trade" that turned out to be a blessing.

Vernam
02-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Good to hear, even if some percentage of it is along the lines of some of our fans' idealizing former Sox who shall remain nameless.

I'm glad the team isn't counting on Erstad to play every day, but at the same time I hope he might end up being a steal along the lines of Jermaine. We couldn't get that lucky again, could we?

Vernam

tick53
02-23-2007, 07:31 PM
That's good news. That's why I have such confidence in Kenny and Ozzie. They know what it takes to build a winner. Go ahead Cubs, Yankees or whoever and spend a ton of money on primadonnas or clubhouse cancers. The Sox want ballplayers. It's going to be a helluva season. I can't wait for the first pitch. Welcome to Chicago Darrin (again) :smile:

chaerulez
02-24-2007, 02:56 AM

I agree, the Matthews signing will go down as one of the worst in MLB history. Actually a lot of these deals this offseason will go down that path. Drew, Pierre, Meche, Lilly and Marquis have the potential to be terrible deals. If you are going to overpay at least make sure it's someone who you can pencil in certain stats, like a Soriano or Zito.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 04:47 AM
I agree, the Matthews signing will go down as one of the worst in MLB history. Actually a lot of these deals this offseason will go down that path. Drew, Pierre, Meche, Lilly and Marquis have the potential to be terrible deals. If you are going to overpay at least make sure it's someone who you can pencil in certain stats, like a Soriano or Zito.

Everything else you nailed on the head, but the Pierre one. That move may actually payoff for the Dodgers in the long run. Especially in that stadium and with Furcal batting behind him, watch out! His numbers may increase for the next three years, but if we are just talking contracts then in year 4 or 5 that deal it may be a bad deal. I just think that for the majority of his contract, he will be pretty good for the Dodgers. Not to mention, anytime a player gets to leave the Cubs, his game tends to improve. Anyway, it may get to a point with the Angels where I think a team like the White Sox could steal Santana, Saunders, Figgins and Wlikes for someone like Crede or Konerko. Now, I don't want that deal to happen because I like both of them a lot but...I'm sure KW has thought about screwing over the Angels a few times. Now about Erstad, for some reason I see him helping the Sox in the lineup and in CF or 1B and being a difference maker in about 10 victories for the White Sox leading to a 100 win season. I'm not sure if deep pink is necessary.

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Everything else you nailed on the head, but the Pierre one. That move may actually payoff for the Dodgers in the long run. Especially in that stadium and with Furcal batting behind him, watch out! His numbers may increase for the next three years, but if we are just talking contracts then in year 4 or 5 that deal it may be a bad deal. I just think that for the majority of his contract, he will be pretty good for the Dodgers. Not to mention, anytime a player gets to leave the Cubs, his game tends to improve. Anyway, it may get to a point with the Angels where I think a team like the White Sox could steal Santana, Saunders, Figgins and Wlikes for someone like Crede or Konerko. Now, I don't want that deal to happen because I like both of them a lot but...I'm sure KW has thought about screwing over the Angels a few times. Now about Erstad, for some reason I see him helping the Sox in the lineup and in CF or 1B and being a difference maker in about 10 victories for the White Sox leading to a 100 win season. I'm not sure if deep pink is necessary.

"Santana, Saunders, Figgins and Wlikes for someone like Crede or Konerko"

I think we'd be very LUCKY to get Santana for Crede.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
"Santana, Saunders, Figgins and Wlikes for someone like Crede or Konerko"

I think we'd be very LUCKY to get Santana for Crede.

Caulfield, I'm not sure we couldn't get at least two of the mentioned above for Crede. Especially if the Angels miss the playoffs again, then you know that guy(the Angels owner Arte Moreno) will go nuts and hire a GM who will make a deal for the present.

munchman33
02-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Caulfield, I'm not sure we couldn't get at least two of the mentioned above for Crede. Especially if the Angels miss the playoffs again, then you know that guy(the Angels owner Arte Moreno) will go nuts and hire a GM who will make a deal for the present.

There isn't a player on our entire roster you could trade straight up for Ervin Santana. Those who think so are completely delusional. Young, cheap stud pitchers are at a premium now more than ever.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 10:02 AM
There isn't a player on our entire roster you could trade straight up for Ervin Santana. Those who think so are completely delusional. Young, cheap stud pitchers are at a premium now more than ever.

I'm not sure about that, its all about Value over Price, and if the Angels miss the post-season this year. You know they would entertain thoughts of Crede for Santana. Not to mention, how do we know for sure that Santana will be great one and not just an average pitcher who had a great season in 2006? I mean they said the same things about Aaron Sele, Justin Thompson, Felix Diaz, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and countless others.

jabrch
02-24-2007, 11:36 AM
then you know that guy(the Angels owner Arte Moreno) will go nuts and hire a GM who will make a deal for the present.

Arte Moreno is not the type to "go nuts". He may eventually fire Stoneman, but it won't be a "nuts" type move. It will be a franchise making move. Moreno is one of the best owners in baseball.

I couldn't see them giving us 3 or 4 years of Santana for 1 year of Crede. It's just not a sensible deal, much less to see them toss in a high calibre prospect. Frankly, I'd like to see Joe's back hold up and then KW and JR make him one of the cornerstones of this franchise with a 5 year deal like they did with PK. Just cuz his agent is Boras doesn't mean that isn't possible.

I know the doom and gloom crowd are telling us to be ready for a future without Dye, Buehrle, Crede, etc. - but I'm not so sure that's what's going to happen. Some will go. Some will price themselves out of our market or out of KW's strategy. But I am sure some will stay. If KW's plan works out, and we have a few young starters (Floyd, Gio, Danks, etc.) for cheap, and a very inexpensive bullpen full of strong arms (Jenks, Masset, Thornton, Aardsma, etc.) then we will have money to spend on front of the rotation starters and on high impact bats.

I trust KW - he has proven time and time again that he knows what he is doing.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Arte Moreno is not the type to "go nuts". He may eventually fire Stoneman, but it won't be a "nuts" type move. It will be a franchise making move. Moreno is one of the best owners in baseball.

I couldn't see them giving us 3 or 4 years of Santana for 1 year of Crede. It's just not a sensible deal, much less to see them toss in a high calibre prospect. Frankly, I'd like to see Joe's back hold up and then KW and JR make him one of the cornerstones of this franchise with a 5 year deal like they did with PK. Just cuz his agent is Boras doesn't mean that isn't possible.

I know the doom and gloom crowd are telling us to be ready for a future without Dye, Buehrle, Crede, etc. - but I'm not so sure that's what's going to happen. Some will go. Some will price themselves out of our market or out of KW's strategy. But I am sure some will stay. If KW's plan works out, and we have a few young starters (Floyd, Gio, Danks, etc.) for cheap, and a very inexpensive bullpen full of strong arms (Jenks, Masset, Thornton, Aardsma, etc.) then we will have money to spend on front of the rotation starters and on high impact bats.

I trust KW - he has proven time and time again that he knows what he is doing.

Hey I'm one of the people that think that Crede, Dye, Buehrel and Iguchi will all stay if the Sox win the series again. Considering the fact that Rick Hahn will be handling the negotiations, I'm not worried at all. But at the same time, if there's a deal that knocks KW's socks off then you he have to consider making that deal.

caulfield12
02-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure about that, its all about Value over Price, and if the Angels miss the post-season this year. You know they would entertain thoughts of Crede for Santana. Not to mention, how do we know for sure that Santana will be great one and not just an average pitcher who had a great season in 2006? I mean they said the same things about Aaron Sele, Justin Thompson, Felix Diaz, Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and countless others.

They can't afford to trade Santana until/unless Colon proves he can make it all the way back.

And there is definitely no single player we could trade from our roster to get back Jared Weaver, Zambrano or Justin Verlander.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 12:10 PM
They can't afford to trade Santana until/unless Colon proves he can make it all the way back.

And there is definitely no single player we could trade from our roster to get back Jared Weaver, Zambrano or Justin Verlander.

Jered Weaver is an untouchable by all standards, Zambrano would never come here in a trade from the Cubs, and ditto for Verlander.