PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 2-24

Lip Man 1
02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
February 24, 1948 - Sox G.M. Les O’Connor sends pitcher Eddie Lopat to the Yankees for three players. Lopat, a soft tossing, off speed pitcher would quickly develop into one of the aces of the Yankees dynasty of the 1950's. Of the players the Sox got in return, only pitcher Bill Wight had any success on the South Side. Another one of the players acquired, catcher Aaron Robinson, would be sent that November to the Tigers for a youngster named Billy Pierce.

Lip

tick53
02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
:cool: Cool, I met that youngster named Billy Pierce. One of the nicest people I've ever met. Mr. Pierce wasn't a youngster at the time though.:cool:

IndianWhiteSox
02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Replace one ace with another!

But that leads me thinking about another question....Should Billy Pierce be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Lip Man 1
02-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Without question...yes.

He and Whitey Ford were the dominant American League left handers during the 1950's.

Pierce threw four one hitters, made seven All Star appearances representing the Sox and started three All Star Games.

Here is my interview with him for WSI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=1546

Lip

IndianWhiteSox
02-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Without question...yes.

He and Whitey Ford were the dominant American League left handers during the 1950's.

Pierce threw four one hitters, made seven All Star appearances representing the Sox and started three All Star Games.

Here is my interview with him for WSI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=1546

Lip

If Billy Pierce is still eligible, then do you think it would be possible if everyone at WSI could maybe organize a Billy Pierce for the Hall of Fame campaign?

tick53
02-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Replace one ace with another!

But that leads me thinking about another question....Should Billy Pierce be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

He's got my vote for the HOF. (If it only counted) :D: