PDA

View Full Version : Interesting diagnosis by Konerko on 2006

caulfield12
02-23-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/269571,CST-SPT-sox23.article

Well, in terms of all the "contract" articles written, this at least attempts to be somewhat fair...

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I think the "Konerko model" is what we're going to see this year. If the Sox go out and win and make the playoffs, then guys like Buerhle, Iguchi and JD will be back. Winning will take care of everything.

chisox77
02-23-2007, 11:00 AM
The "contract year" Paulie went through in 2005, and the manner he handled it, is the best I've seen from any recent athlete. He had a very good season at the plate and in the field, and was huge in the post-season run that led to the World Series Title (the slam in game #2 will be remembered as one of the most awesome Chicago sports moments of all time).

:D:

oeo
02-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I think the "Konerko model" is what we're going to see this year. If the Sox go out and win and make the playoffs, then guys like Buerhle, Iguchi and JD will be back. Winning will take care of everything.

I don't think either Iguchi or JD will break the bank to come back. I'm starting to question Buehrle, though.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't think either Iguchi or JD will break the bank to come back. I'm starting to question Buehrle, though.
I think out of all of them Buerhle is most likely to take a hometown discount. Iguchi will probably be the cheapest to bring back. We'll see. Just win. The rest will take care of itself.

oeo
02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I think out of all of them Buerhle is most likely to take a hometown discount. Iguchi will probably be the cheapest to bring back. We'll see. Just win. The rest will take care of itself.

Of course Iguchi will be the cheapest. JD has already come out and said he would take a hometown discount; Buehrle has never said that. That doesn't mean he won't, but I think Dye would be the first to take a discount...he's already done it once.

soxfan13
02-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Actually Buehrle has talked about home team discount and said he would do it but not to where he is gonna lose a ton of money

ode to veeck
02-23-2007, 11:19 AM
The biggest factor on Bury-Mon's contract is gonna be his '07 performance, pure and simple. After being the most consistent starter the last few years, he really had a horrible 2nd half last year. If he doesn't return to previous form, it might get more than a little divisive, especially in today's overpaid market, and the gap of what the Sox will put in a contract (either in years or $) may grow vs what someone desperate somewhere else might do.

IndianWhiteSox
02-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Yes it does, and it's not a coincidence as Reinsdorf and Co. always said, they'll spend money when they win and there is a history of it.

Hitmen77
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Paul also understands the logic behind KW's moves:

"You just can't hold onto the proven commodity because what winds up happening is all those guys [fizzle] and they're making a bunch of money, you can't dump them anywhere. It's that simple. I'm not saying it was going to happen, but you have to guard against that kind of stuff."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070222sox,1,1613341.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

PatK
02-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I thought for a second that this was going to be the one in the Post-Tribune I read that had him saying the Sox are the third best team in the division.

ondafarm
02-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Something that has consistently come from the Sox management has been that they will want Buehrle for a great many years. Combine that with how poorly he threw last year and that he really was out of shape, as a ML pitcher that is, during the second half.

How I put this together is that the Sox have decided to make Mark put up or shut up this year. If he went out and really got himself in shape and stayed in top flight shape, (and indications are he did) then I look to MB to finally win 20 and contend solidly for the Cy Young. If the Sox are ALCD champs and the Twins sit at home, then I think MB gets it. If he wins 20 AND SHOWS THE MATURITY OF AN ACE BIG LEAGUE PITCHER JUST GOING INTO HIS PRIME, then I think the White Sox give him a Zito-esque deal.

Dye is in a different boat. If Sweeney is ready and maybe Fields as well, then the Sox need an outfield spot and Dye is too old to get a long-term contract here. Sox know it, Dye knows it.

Iguchi can perform and contribute to another WS team then he'll be back. Money to be talked about.

SOXBOY
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
The Sox will never give a pitcher a "Zito-esque" deal.Love it or hate it the Sox have been right not to give over 3 years to a pitcher.Buehrle will not pitch for the Sox after this year.I love Buehrle but The Sox will not give him any thing near a "ZIto-esque" deal.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
The Sox will never give a pitcher a "Zito-esque" deal.Love it or hate it the Sox have been right not to give over 3 years to a pitcher.Buehrle will not pitch for the Sox after this year.I love Buehrle but The Sox will not give him any thing near a "ZIto-esque" deal.
I think Buerhle's going to pitch for us in 2008, but no, he's not going to get seven years at nineteen million! I think that if he wins twenty he'll get something like, 15 mil for three years with a club option for a fourth. But I don't think he's going to win twenty, I think he'll win seventeen and sign for three years at twelve million with a club option.

Domeshot17
02-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I think Buerhle's going to pitch for us in 2008, but no, he's not going to get seven years at nineteen million! I think that if he wins twenty he'll get something like, 15 mil for three years with a club option for a fourth. But I don't think he's going to win twenty, I think he'll win seventeen and sign for three years at twelve million with a club option.

It all depends on the Market. I don't think its a big deal to go between 12-14 a year. The one thing is, No way Buehrle takes a deal under 4 years. He is a proven 200 inning a year guy who up until now has not had injury problems (not that he does now, but who knows what happens in 2007).

I think if the Sox came to him, offered 4 years at 13 a year with 2 club options for 14.5 a year, he would take it.

The Sox know it, Hometown discount doesn't mean free. If someone offers him 16 a year, the Sox need to offer 13-14 a year. Same with Dye. They want FAIR offers. Fair in this market, is probably 13 for Buehrle and 10 for Dye, and thats being REALLY generous to the Sox. Both over 4 years.