PDA

View Full Version : Not Exactly at Big Crowd at TEP Today

Viva Magglio
03-16-2002, 02:33 PM
The Tucsonians must all be at the U of A baseball game against UNC-Wilmington, I guess

CiscoCarlos
03-17-2002, 01:08 PM
My son and I went to a Sox-Diamondbacks game in Tucson recently and noticed how the vast majority of fans were rooting for the Diamondbacks. That same day the local newspaper (Arizona Republic) ran an article pointing out that the Sox were significantly outdrawn by both the Diamondbacks and Rockies last year at TEP and an accompanying graph showed how the disparity in attendance was growing from year to year.

Then the Sunday Arizona Republic ran lengthy Team Notebook articles on both the Diamondbacks and Rockies, but not the White Sox. It reminded me of the recent WSI dialogue regarding how the Sox get no respect in their home city. Well, the same holds true with their spring training city as well. It must be tough on the Sox players.

Cheryl
03-17-2002, 02:43 PM
This can't be that surprising. When did the Sox move the ST facility to Arizona? It wasn't that long ago. There are plenty of teams which have been there much longer--long enough, in fact, for those teams to have a pretty solid fan base in the area. On top of them, the Dbacks and to a lesser extent the Rockies are local teams. Add to that the sterling job Rob Gallas does of marketing the team, and this is the result.

Viva Magglio
03-17-2002, 06:38 PM
It's a no brainer why the D-Backs outdraw the Sox at TEP, and the Rockies have been at Hi Corbett Field since their inception. Their outdrawing the White Sox is not really a reflection against the Sox but more advantages Arizona and Colorado already have. But at least the Sox outdraw the U of A baseball team.

CiscoCarlos
03-17-2002, 07:08 PM
I agree that there's plenty of reasons for the Sox to be the third banana in Arizona, but their spring attendance last year went down substantially (I believe the paper reported it was only 60,000) which was in contrast to Colorado and Arizona (now surpassing 100,000).

In terms of fan interest, there really isn't a logical reason for the Sox to be in Tucson, though someone once told me Reinsdorf lives near there.

All that being said, I liked both the stadium and the scenic desert backdrop. Jerry Manuel was kind enough to autograph a ball for my 10-year old son right on the sweet spot and the kettle corn they sold was quite tasty.

LongDistanceFan
03-17-2002, 11:17 PM
when the sox put together back to back winning season, and then develop someone or 2 into a star status, then the fans will come....... but isn't that the idea............. i wonder where the sox failed???????