PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Doesn't Make Hall

Lip Man 1
02-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Long time Royals announcer Denny Matthews is the Ford Frick winner for this season and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Lip

esbrechtel
02-22-2007, 05:13 PM
thats too bad...I know how there is alot of people on this board who hate Hawk...I think he just makes the games more interesting to watch...

Whitesox029
02-22-2007, 05:16 PM
thats too bad...I know how there is alot of people on this board who hate Hawk...I think he just makes the games more interesting to watch...
I don't really understand why people don't like him. He's not a great broadcaster in the tradition of Vin Scully or Mel Allen, because they are/were impartial. Hawk is a homer for the Sox because he's the Sox broadcaster, and that's the way I prefer it. He is definitely knowledgeable-- that can't be denied.

PKalltheway
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Damn...at least he was considered. Maybe next year.:(:

crazyozzie02
02-22-2007, 11:31 PM
DAMN!!!! Oh well. Hes good enough where he will get in sooner than later.

rdwj
02-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I know how there is alot of people on this board who hate Hawk...

They're really aren't. The ones that do are just very vocal about it.

Too bad for Hawk - but I'm sure he'll be there someday.

ode to veeck
02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
No we're actually not very vocal about it and there's more of us than you may think. I've never really cared for Hawk ever since Reinsy brought him into the booth. Could be worse though, like him wearing the GM hat and sticking AJ in left field

skottyj242
02-23-2007, 08:21 AM
There's always next year?

Steelrod
02-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Surprised that he didn't get in. With all his friends and associates in baseball that he hung with, I thought induction was a foregone conclusion. Who votes for this?

WizardsofOzzie
02-23-2007, 08:28 AM
You'll get them next time Hawk!

oeo
02-23-2007, 08:28 AM
No we're actually not very vocal about it and there's more of us than you may think. I've never really cared for Hawk ever since Reinsy brought him into the booth. Could be worse though, like him wearing the GM hat and sticking AJ in left field

Just now, you're being vocal about it. :rolleyes:

AuroraSoxFan
02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I have always liked him. I just think he is a little TOO much of a homer in the booth sometimes. It is a riot when the Sox are hot. But when they go on a cold streak he sounds like a kid bummed out because he just got grounded or got cut from a team or something.

ode to veeck
02-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Just now, you're being vocal about it. :rolleyes:

yep, my annual post on the matter, now back to spring training

rdwj
02-23-2007, 09:03 AM

There was a poll done here not long ago and more than 80% of the people said they liked Hawk. I'd venture to say his approval ratings are much higher among more casual fans.

So, vocal minority you are.

HawkDJ
02-23-2007, 09:14 AM
I love Hawk (obviously) and wouldn't trade him for anyone, but from a pure broadcasting standpoint, Hawk is pretty terrible. He's like a color commentator working as a play by play guy. His play by play usually consists of "come on Paulie" or a variety of catch phrases/cliches. Often he will go silent for innings at a time.

Once agan, I love Hawk but he's just not a good broadcaster in the traditional sense.

oeo
02-23-2007, 09:36 AM

My point was, you said that Hawk haters are not vocal (which is untrue). The first chance you got to announce that you did not like Hawk, you took it (like all the rest of the Hawk haters).

chisox77
02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I love the Hawk because I find some level of comfort hearing his voice during televised White Sox games. With that in mind, it's hard for me to evaluate his talent as a pure broadcaster. I do enjoy him, though. I appreciate his strong personality and outspoken nature, and the fact that he has embraced the White Sox on a very deep level.

:cool:

PaulDrake
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I like Hawk, I really do, but he's not comparable to the likes of Allen, Barber, Caray, Harwell, Prince and a few others who were truly "Hall of Fame" caliber announcers.

johnr1note
02-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I like Hawk, I really do, but he's not comparable to the likes of Allen, Barber, Caray, Harwell, Prince and a few others who were truly "Hall of Fame" caliber announcers.

There are few, if any, "Hall of Fame" calibre announcers today.

I am not a Hawk hater, but I think his "schtick" has worn thin. When he started as announcer for the Sox years ago, his style was fresh, and his baseball instincts and experience made listening to him call the game an entertaining experience. I think as he's aged, he's come to rely more on the cliches and predictible formulaic "schtick" we've come to expect from Hawk, rather than on that baseball instinct and experience. Hawk has developed into a caricature of himself.

A similar thing happened to Harry Caray as he got older -- although, in the end, age and probably the onset of alzheimers' prevented Harry from even being able to coherently do play by play. Hawk certainly hasn't reached that extreme. He still calls a good game. I'm just a little tired of the nicknames, cliches, and his tendencies toward self absorbed boorishness.

ode to veeck
02-23-2007, 10:39 AM
My point was, you said that Hawk haters are not vocal (which is untrue). The first chance you got to announce that you did not like Hawk, you took it (like all the rest of the Hawk haters).

Bull****. Like I said, I make the point about once a year, and not at the other 999 other obvious opportunities that regularly occur. The implication in the original post was the Hawk haters are very or overly vocal, not that we were not vocal at all. My simple but accurate point that there's more folks that don't really care for Hawk attracts several accusatory vehement anit-anti-hawk posts tells me the anti-anti Hawks are the overly vocal ones. I'm leaving this discussion to go back and join the silent majority...

I want Mags back
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
i hink he'll eventually get in

tick53
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
That completely sucks. His day is coming though!

AnkleSox
02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I do like the fact that Hawk isn't as bland and dry as most PBP announcers these days, but the problem is his over-enthusiasm gets annoying. And when I'm watching a baseball game I don't want to be annoyed. You can ignore a boring PBP announcer, but it's hard to ignore a guy who shoots off catch phrases and cliches and constantly strokes his own ego.

Look, I appreciate Hawk's devotion to the Sox (although I have no idea where it came from), but as someone said, his shtick is old and tired at this point. If it could've been my choice, I would much rather have kept Paciorek and gotten rid of Hawk.

I think the Sox would draw more fans if they had an announcer who didn't annoy the hell out of everyone. People I know that aren't Sox fans can't stand Hawk. They laugh AT him and not WITH him and I personally think he makes the Sox look bad AT THIS POINT in his career. He was great earlier, and definitely a breath of fresh air but I feel that he's become played out and would be better as the leader of a pep rally.

Oh well, ever since Rooney left I pretty much just listen to music when I watch the games on TV.

Sorry for being a vocal minority :redneck

jdm2662
02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I do like the fact that Hawk isn't as bland and dry as most PBP announcers these days, but the problem is his over-enthusiasm gets annoying. And when I'm watching a baseball game I don't want to be annoyed. You can ignore a boring PBP announcer, but it's hard to ignore a guy who shoots off catch phrases and cliches and constantly strokes his own ego.

Look, I appreciate Hawk's devotion to the Sox (although I have no idea where it came from), but as someone said, his shtick is old and tired at this point. If it could've been my choice, I would much rather have kept Paciorek and gotten rid of Hawk.

I think the Sox would draw more fans if they had an announcer who didn't annoy the hell out of everyone. People I know that aren't Sox fans can't stand Hawk. They laugh AT him and not WITH him and I personally think he makes the Sox look bad AT THIS POINT in his career. He was great earlier, and definitely a breath of fresh air but I feel that he's become played out and would be better as the leader of a pep rally.

Oh well, ever since Rooney left I pretty much just listen to music when I watch the games on TV.

Sorry for being a vocal minority :redneck

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. There is a reason why he is loyal to JR. JR signs his pay checks... Hell, Wayne Larrivie (sp), pretended to be a Bears fan for 14 years before jumping to his beloved Packers' booth. Money talks.

Also count me in as not being a fan. He was great when I was 13 (1990), but he's very annoying now.

A. Cavatica
02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I think he should be banned from the HoF for the Fisk-to-LF stunt. Fortunately, he'll be banned on the basis of mere talent.

Steelrod
02-24-2007, 07:11 AM
He's ok, but for the last 5 years or so, has been more focused on getting in his signature lines. Stretchhhhhhhhhh in particular irritates me!

EndemicSox
02-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Hawk has more than his fair share of haters. Fans of opposing teams can't stand the guy, and rightfully so. The hall is a pipe dream for Hawk and his fans.