PDA

View Full Version : The Flubsession Continues: Forget The Fix, "The Jinx Is In" - Cubs on cover of SI

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I just got my February 26, 2007 edition of Sports Illustrated in the mail and guess who's on the cover? Lou Pineilla and Alfonso Soriano. The cover reads...

Life Is Sweet, Lou
(Enjoy It While You Can, Cubs Fans)

SI isn't picking them to win the World Series or anything like that, I just wanted to point this out. I'm not going to sit here and cry and say, "oh how come the White Sox aren't on the cover?!" because they didn't do anything special in the offseason that would be worth writing about. I still love our team and think we'll win at least the division, but the Cubs offseason would sell more copies than the White Sox offseason.

Nonetheless, for all who get to see this cover, it's quite interesting. Let's see how long those smiles on the faces of Lou and Alfonso last. Inside the issue, by the way, great reads on Adam Wainwright, the Dodgers, Phil Hughes, and a bunch of other things. I didn't catch anything on the Sox, but I must say I haven't read nor seen the whole issue yet.

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I just got my February 26, 2007 edition of Sports Illustrated in the mail and guess who's on the cover? Lou Pineilla and Alfonso Soriano. The cover reads...

Life Is Sweet, Lou
(Enjoy It While You Can, Cubs Fans)

SI isn't picking them to win the World Series or anything like that, I just wanted to point this out. I'm not going to sit here and cry and say, "oh how come the White Sox aren't on the cover?!" because they didn't do anything special in the offseason that would be worth writing about. I still love our team and think we'll win at least the division, but the Cubs offseason would sell more copies than the White Sox offseason.

Nonetheless, for all who get to see this cover, it's quite interesting. Let's see how long those smiles on the faces of Lou and Alfonso last. Inside the issue, by the way, great reads on Adam Wainwright, the Dodgers, Phil Hughes, and a bunch of other things. I didn't catch anything on the Sox, but I must say I haven't read nor seen the whole issue yet.

I don't even understand what the point of this post is.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't even understand what the point of this post is.

How did I know you'd be the first to comment. loool, wow, so predictable.

Point is.... Cubs are on the cover of SI. Done. Just informing those who haven't seen it yet or don't get it. Look at it as a "helpful thread" lol. You go into work tomorrow (if you have a job) and somebody asks you, "Did you see the new SI?", you can look at them and say, "No, but my guy WSF84 told me all about it".

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 01:11 PM
How did I know you'd be the first to comment. loool, wow, so predictable.

Point is.... Cubs are on the cover of SI. Done.

Si is a magazine.

Rocky Soprano
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM
There is no such thing as a Jinx or Curse. If you lose it's because you suck.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Si is a magazine.

http://a1m.org/sites/www.audienceone.org/photos/shocked.jpg

No it's not!

There is no such thing as a Jinx or Curse. If you lose it's because you suck.

You're full of yourself. What about the goat? Or Bartman? How about all those blackcats?? We had one, The Curse of Shoeless Joe, until 2 years ago. Get a clue. :D:

I should've added somewhere that the title is meant to be in teal.

WizardsofOzzie
02-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Patiently waiting for mshake10 to show up :whistle:

TDog
02-22-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't know. Harry Chappas and Clint Hurdle went on to have great careers after getting SI covers in their rookie seasons.

Risk
02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Patiently waiting for mshake10 to show up :whistle:

Just don't hold your breath.:tongue:

Risk

jenn2080
02-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Same **** new day. :?:

WizardsofOzzie
02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Same **** new day. :?:
Not entirely the same. I actually finished my lunch before my boss started complaining today :tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Who cares? :dunno:

chisoxmike
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Is it me, or are there a ton of more "Flubsessed" **** going on here lately? I mean seriously, between "When is Carlos Zambrano going to show up Soriano" to now "just to let us know: Cubs are on the cover of SI." I mean wow, who gives two ****s.

I hate the Cubs too, but come on, really, who cares???

WizardsofOzzie
02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Is it me, or are there a ton of more "Flubsessed" **** going on here lately? I mean seriously, between "When is Carlos Zambrano going to show up Soriano" to now "just to let us know: Cubs are on the cover of SI." I mean wow, who gives two ****s.

No, It's definitely not you

jenn2080
02-22-2007, 02:26 PM

No, It's definitely not you

There has been one almost every day of a week or two.

Jerko
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
There has been one almost every day of a week or two.

It's like Hangar has a lot of nome de plumes........

Uncle_Patrick
02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
There haven't been enough conspiracy theories and random capitalization to go with these posts.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM

What happened to him anyway?

Dan Mega
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
What happened to him anyway?

Traded to the Flubs with Cotts.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Traded to the Flubs with Cotts.

No way..... you're kidding right??? Was he that big of a Cotts fan?

Uncle_Patrick
02-22-2007, 03:08 PM
:rolling:

Dan Mega
02-22-2007, 03:09 PM
No way..... you're kidding right??? Was he that big of a Cotts fan?

Sorry, I should have noted that we got Aardsma and Mshake10 in return.:redneck

minutia
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM

I agree but these threads sure are entertaining to read.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2007, 03:38 PM
The Cubs aren't going to be jinxed because they're on the cover of SI. They'll be jinxed because they don't have a descent pitcher following Zambrano.

rdivaldi
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM

It's the offseason guys, once the games start the Cub posts will go away...

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't count on it...

Jerko
02-22-2007, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't count on it...

I agree. Every time Wood or Prior gets shelled, or get hurt, or Z acts the fool, or Barrett cries, there WILL be many many threads.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I agree. Every time Wood or Prior gets shelled, or get hurt, or Z acts the fool, or Barrett cries, there WILL be many many threads.

I'm not saying you or itsnotrequired are wrong and that your opinions are wrong either, but what does it tell you that there will be "many, many threads" about the Cubs? Maybe it's more fun for some of us to talk about them and laugh at their misfortunates rather then read an interview with some Sox player from 1971 that no one has heard of or cares about? Or more fun that disecting every sentence in a KW article? Or reading the Tribune sports column and looking for every bit of "anti-Sox" message and exploding it into something it simple is not?

I've noticed there's a hugeeee age gap between some of the posters on this forum. You have the hardcore old-timers and the "immature"/laid back new school cats who seem to have two completely different preferences. There are the few exceptions from each group that like what both generations have to offer, but you can't deny that we also have the bitter few fro meach group as well.

Look at TV for example, sex sells, yet sex is soooo bad and a lot of people oppose it. Relate that to this forum, bashing on the Cubs is fun. Hell, bashing on any team not representing our beloved is fun. I just don't get why some of you can't just ignore some threads, posts, people, etc., instead of making a statement that does nothing but stir the pot and lead to drama.

FarWestChicago
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
How did I know you'd be the first to comment. loool, wow, so predictable.You want predictable? How about we all know you will post more Flubsessed crap every day. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Just wait until the umpteen "Cubs Promotional Schedule" threads start popping up.

chaerulez
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't get why this is an issue.

1. The Cubs spent a ton of money in the offseason
2. The Cubs are a team that has a national following
3. In a baseball preview issue a magazine is likely to put on the cover a player related to a big offseason move or who they think will win it all
4. The White Sox did not make any big offseason moves
5. SI wants to sell magazines, having a player on the Yankees, Cubs or Red Sox probably will attract more potential buyers at the newstand than having someone from the Marlins, Devil Rays, Nationals or Twins

With those points stated, what would please you? A picture of Paul Konerko and Jim Thome on the cover? Who cares? Does that really help the Sox in any way to win a World Series? Just like does Soriano on the cover help the Cubs win a World Series? No it just gives them more publicity, which in the long run means nothing.

MarySwiss
02-22-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't get why this is an issue.

1. The Cubs spent a ton of money in the offseason
2. The Cubs are a team that has a national following
3. In a baseball preview issue a magazine is likely to put on the cover a player related to a big offseason move or who they think will win it all
4. The White Sox did not make any big offseason moves
5. SI wants to sell magazines, having a player on the Yankees, Cubs or Red Sox probably will attract more potential buyers at the newstand than having someone from the Marlins, Devil Rays, Nationals or Twins

With those points stated, what would please you? A picture of Paul Konerko and Jim Thome on the cover? Who cares? Does that really help the Sox in any way to win a World Series? Just like does Soriano on the cover help the Cubs win a World Series? No it just gives them more publicity, which in the long run means nothing.

Well said. It's not an issue and it doesn't mean anything. But having said that, what harm does it do to bitch and moan about it? Anything that gets us through the offseason--and I include Spring Training in that--will be long forgotten in October anyway.

Once again--I'm sorry, but I do not think that the mere fact that you don't like the Cubs makes you Flubsessed. I have disliked the Cubs my whole life, but it didn't stop me from marrying a Cub fan.

And ever since 2005, I just look upon the Cubs' offseason maneuvers as mildly amusing. :smile:

SoxandtheCityTee
02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Aren't those obsessed with not appearing so
Still yet themselves obsessed? Encoiled in snares
Of self-regard, or anxious not to err
They plead with others not to speak their minds.
It is a message board, though, after all,
When asked my views on Wrigley, I replied.
Light-hearted seldom-poster that I am
Yet I have read the rules most carefully
And finding that I broke none, I demur
To be bossed 'round by those (other than mods)
And told I must pretend no Cubs exist
Lest I betray somehow the Sox I love.
Yea even should a spaceship land on third
At Wrigley Field, we all must hold our tongues
Or be most scornf'ly chided on these threads
For Flubsession. Can we all not get along?
A teacher once in my own younger days
Said, "Only each of you can shame yourself --
Nobody else." So no one on this site
Need blush for me; I'll do it for myself
As needed, and rememb'ring days in school
Won't waste my time obsessed with being cool.

TommyJohn
02-23-2007, 06:46 AM

I didn't know Sox fans were so creative. I thought the Cubs and
Red Sox had all the poets, playwrights and songwriters on their side.

MarySwiss
02-23-2007, 08:04 AM
:kneeslap:

SoxandtheCityTee
02-23-2007, 08:37 AM

No poet I, it's just a parody.

DumpJerry
02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
No, just the dreamers.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-23-2007, 10:06 AM
You want predictable? How about we all know you will post more Flubsessed crap every day. :rolleyes:

You can assume whatever you'd like, that's your call to make. But looking at the first 2 pages of threads started under "What's The Score", I saw 8 threads that you or other mods added the terms "Flubsessed", "Flubsession", or "Flubsessive" to. Why do that? I know you don't like it, but why not just ignore it until it gets out of hand and then shut it down, IF it gets out of hand?

You're one of the main guys here man I'm not going to tell you what to do, just asking you questions. I just don't get why some of you love to corner some guys around here and pick on them like bullies at school? I don't care if you do it to me because it doesn't bother me, but it just makes this place, as a whole, look like it's bitter, it's angry, and it's full of jackasses. You'll probably tell me that "flubsessing makes you look stupid and immature", but I, along with a large number of people here, disagree. Anyway, that's my two cents. If this **** gets me banned, I'm throwing the red flag, cussing out David Stern like Mark Cuban, and will wait for the ACC to apologize to me tomorrow for their official's making a bad call. :redneck

IndianWhiteSox
02-23-2007, 02:14 PM
You can assume whatever you'd like, that's your call to make. But looking at the first 2 pages of threads started under "What's The Score", I saw 8 threads that you or other mods added the terms "Flubsessed", "Flubsession", or "Flubsessive" to. Why do that? I know you don't like it, but why not just ignore it until it gets out of hand and then shut it down, IF it gets out of hand?

You're one of the main guys here man I'm not going to tell you what to do, just asking you questions. I just don't get why some of you love to corner some guys around here and pick on them like bullies at school? I don't care if you do it to me because it doesn't bother me, but it just makes this place, as a whole, look like it's bitter, it's angry, and it's full of jackasses. You'll probably tell me that "flubsessing makes you look stupid and immature", but I, along with a large number of people here, disagree. Anyway, that's my two cents. If this **** gets me banned, I'm throwing the red flag, cussing out David Stern like Mark Cuban, and will wait for the ACC to apologize to me tomorrow for their official's making a bad call. :redneck

Just be glad I'm not a mod.
:redneck

FarWestChicago
02-23-2007, 04:29 PM
You'll probably tell me that "flubsessing makes you look stupid and immature", but I, along with a large number of people here, disagree.And having lots of dumbasses agree with you makes everything fine? Sigh, that's why you are walking stereotypes and as bad as those you mock. :rolleyes:

Vernam
02-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Once again--I'm sorry, but I do not think that the mere fact that you don't like the Cubs makes you Flubsessed. I have disliked the Cubs my whole life, but it didn't stop me from marrying a Cub fan.MarySwiss, if you're married to a Flubs fan, doesn't that automatically mean you're Flubsessed? :wink: I vote that you get an official WSI exemption, though.

My new boss is a genuine Sox-hating Flub fan. If all goes well, I'll need to find a new job in November. :cool:

Vernam

RadioheadRocks
02-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Meanwhile, get a load of this laughable bit of "SOXSESSION" over at NorthsideBaseball.com:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=38524

Gee, and I always thought that Cubs fans never thought about the Sox... :rolleyes:

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 05:00 AM
Meanwhile, get a load of this laughable bit of "SOXSESSION" over at NorthsideBaseball.com:

Gee, and I always thought that Cubs fans never thought about the Sox... :rolleyes:

For some reason, I'm really not surprised at how stupid that fan base is. They might be, along with the Red Sox, the dumbest fanbase in baseball.

Can't wait to hear all 48 White Sox fans complain about that when it happens...

That would be the number of sCrUB fans in the world who know what the game baseball is.

That number seems a bit high. You must be including all the White Sox fans who are in prison.

That number would actually be too high for the average sCrUB fan IQ. That number would be around 10 or so.

I guess ignorance is bliss!
:rolleyes:

If they only knew that their fanbase is so Soxsessed, they sent 3 sCrUB fans to attack a first base coach and an ump.

itsnotrequired
02-24-2007, 08:33 AM

Some of the broad, sweeping generalizations made over there are nearly as bad as the broad, sweeping generalizations made over here.

MarySwiss
02-24-2007, 08:37 AM
MarySwiss, if you're married to a Flubs fan, doesn't that automatically mean you're Flubsessed? :wink: I vote that you get an official WSI exemption, though.

My new boss is a genuine Sox-hating Flub fan. If all goes well, I'll need to find a new job in November. :cool:

Vernam

Yikes; never thought of it that way! Unfortunately, I didn't find out about the Flubs thing (or the Led Zeppelin thing either) until it was too late.
So let's just consider him Soxsessed instead, okay? :tongue:

minutia
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Some of the broad, sweeping generalizations made over there are nearly as bad as the broad, sweeping generalizations made over here.

Oh, I don't know. There was some pretty dumb stuff on that board and I only skimmed it. Most of the same stupid crap that we are used to hearing. With opening day only 36 days away though I really don't care what they think. The proof will be on the field and I don't see how calling Sox fans white trash or hillbillies can help anyone.

itsnotrequired
02-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, I don't know. There was some pretty dumb stuff on that board and I only skimmed it. Most of the same stupid crap that we are used to hearing. With opening day only 36 days away though I really don't care what they think. The proof will be on the field and I don't see how calling Sox fans white trash or hillbillies can help anyone.

[Cub fan]Oh, I don't know. There was some pretty dumb stuff in What's The Score? and I only skimmed it. Most of the same stupid crap that we are used to hearing. With opening day only 36 days away though I really don't care what they think. The proof will be on the field and I don't see how calling Cub fans frat boys or trixies can help anyone.[/Cub fan]

:redneck

Same crap, different day...

Dan Mega
02-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Ding ding ding!