PDA

View Full Version : Another day, a new Sox controversy...

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/268031,CST-SPT-garcia22.article

I wonder if both newspapers simply laid out on a spreadsheet a list of possible "crap" (or other word) to stir up in February and March.

If it's not KW, it's Buehrle/Dye/Crede. Then it's Hall/AJ. Next, a day of Logan and McCarthy. Uribe. Pods will never be the same. Now this.

I swear, they must love it when we trade or lose a player, so they will have a month's worth of quotes to keep stories alive and running into the season, like the Carl Everett comments last spring, as well as Frank Thomas and Willie Harris.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
And who the heck is Joe Trost? Let me guess, he writes for a Philly newspaper and they "borrowed" his story because they were afraid to write it themselves, like the attack on Guillen by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer last summer.

AuroraSoxFan
02-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Unreal. They really have to find something better to write about. It is getting to the point where I only read Trib or ST articles that have links posted here.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Trost_Joe_2164522.aspx

Hilarious, a former ex soccer beat writer does a hatchet job. Must have hired him to take the place of Mariotti with muckraking.

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
:whocares

We all know that the Sun Times wants to own the Cubs.

Madscout
02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
"Garcia, who joins former Cubs pitchers Jon Lieber and Jamie Moyer in the Phillies' starting rotation, also was a little surprised that Williams shipped Brandon McCarthy to Texas."This quote tells me it is bad journalism. What the hell is the relevance that he joins a pair of former Cubs pitchers. Same old crap.

crazyozzie02
02-22-2007, 11:21 AM

We all know that the Sun Times wants to own the Cubs.

Couldnt agree with you more. Hey i got an idea. Lets just play the games and see what crap they can come up with then, when the cubs are tanking like nobody's business. But hey Sweet Lou will still be the poster child even though he hasnt had 3-winning seasons in chicago like someone else. (sorry about the rant):angry:

soxtalker
02-22-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/268031,CST-SPT-garcia22.article

I wonder if both newspapers simply laid out on a spreadsheet a list of possible "crap" (or other word) to stir up in February and March.

If it's not KW, it's Buehrle/Dye/Crede. Then it's Hall/AJ. Next, a day of Logan and McCarthy. Uribe. Pods will never be the same. Now this.

I swear, they must love it when we trade or lose a player, so they will have a month's worth of quotes to keep stories alive and running into the season, like the Carl Everett comments last spring, as well as Frank Thomas and Willie Harris.

I don't think Freddy's comments are likely to ignite a big controversy. The comments by Garcia, those he's attributing to Ozzie, and the comments that Ozzie made publicly all seem like normal reactions to the trade. I don't detect the level of bitterness, for example, that we saw when Maggs or Frank left the team.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
It's nothing unexpected...just gives more ammunition to those who believe that KW has hindered our ability to compete in 2006 by trading Garcia and McCarthy.

TDog
02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
If Garcia and McCarthy had done what was expected of them last season, the Sox would have made it to the postseason and they wouldn't have been traded.

It's easier to blame your former team for trading you than it is to blame yourself.

ondafarm
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I think in a couple of years the Garcia trade will be viewed as a major steal for the White Sox. Garcia is in his walk year and although a horse and a big game pitcher, if he was also able to get up for the small games, the Sox would have been in the playoffs last year. Wins against Tampa count as much as against the Red Sox in the ALCD, that is.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I think in a couple of years the Garcia trade will be viewed as a major steal for the White Sox. Garcia is in his walk year and although a horse and a big game pitcher, if he was also able to get up for the small games, the Sox would have been in the playoffs last year. Wins against Tampa count as much as against the Red Sox in the ALCD, that is.

string of August and September starts, before pitching well in Anaheim

KC 6 2/3 4 R (L)
Minn 6 1/3 5 R (L)
DET 5 1/3 5 R (L)
TB 7 5 R (W)
KC 7 5 R (L)

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
If Garcia and McCarthy had done what was expected of them last season, the Sox would have made it to the postseason and they wouldn't have been traded.

It's easier to blame your former team for trading you than it is to blame yourself.

Who does Garcia have to blame? He still won 17 games. Buehrle was the starter who clowned it last year. He and the bullpen.

Garcia could have certainly performed better but he is far from the reason the Sox failed in 2006.

soxtalker
02-22-2007, 01:14 PM

I'm not sure that it would have made that much difference if Garcia had had a better record. KW's desire to make the organization a bit younger would still have been there.

maurice
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think it's a big deal. KW probably liked Garcia as a person but had reasons to move him. Ozzie literally is related to Garcia. Keeping that in mind, Garcia's quotes from the article make me go "meh":
When I talked to Ozzie right after the trade, he wasn't happy and didn't want me to be traded.
He's the manager, and he wants someone to go out there every fifth day and do their job.
That's what I do -- I compete.
When you hear rumors, you have to be ready for anything.
Kenny said to me that he didn't feel good when he traded me but that they were changing directions and looking toward the future. I told him, "Good luck."
They talked about McCarthy a lot last year, and everyone was looking for him to move into the rotation.
I guess they were looking for bullpen help or something.
I really didn't think I was going to end up here.
I thought it was going to be Baltimore or one of the New York teams.
But when it's time to go, it's time to go.

PaulDrake
02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Who does Garcia have to blame? He still won 17 games. Buehrle was the starter who clowned it last year. He and the bullpen.

Garcia could have certainly performed better but he is far from the reason the Sox failed in 2006. Yeah I just don't get the Freddy hate. He finished strong, and all the horse**** talk about lost velocity is just that. Folks, everything isn't a media conspiracy. On paper this trade looks like total crap, and no one and I mean no one should be surprised that KW is taken to task by columnists near and far. He just better hope that Gavin Floyd bails out this at the moment very sorry looking trade.

TDog
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure that it would have made that much difference if Garcia had had a better record. KW's desire to make the organization a bit younger would still have been there.

... particularly with Garcia showing he is on the downside of his career.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah I just don't get the Freddy hate. He finished strong, and all the horse**** talk about lost velocity is just that. Folks, everything isn't a media conspiracy. On paper this trade looks like total crap, and no one and I mean no one should be surprised that KW is taken to task by columnists near and far. He just better hope that Gavin Floyd bails out this at the moment very sorry looking trade.
I dunno...Freddy didn't get the job done for us in those little games. He'd have a great outting against Detroit or Minnesota and then get rocked by Kansas City or Tampa. He came on strong at the end of the season when it was becoming pretty clear we weren't goign to make the playoffs. He couldn't hold runners on, he would complain that he didn't get enough run support. Floyd has his struggles, but at least he's young. Freddy is on the downside of his career.

PaulDrake
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I dunno...Freddy didn't get the job done for us in those little games. He'd have a great outting against Detroit or Minnesota and then get rocked by Kansas City or Tampa. He came on strong at the end of the season when it was becoming pretty clear we weren't goign to make the playoffs. He couldn't hold runners on, he would complain that he didn't get enough run support. Floyd has his struggles, but at least he's young. Freddy is on the downside of his career. Of course I could be wrong. I still feel that Freddy, with his many faults, has a few good years left in him. I am totally and completely underwhelmed by Gavin Floyd and can't wait for him to begin proving me wrong in Spring Training games.

StillMissOzzie
02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
It's nothing unexpected...just gives more ammunition to those who believe that KW has hindered our ability to compete in 2006 by trading Garcia and McCarthy.

You did mean 2007, right?

SMO
:?:

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Of course I could be wrong. I still feel that Freddy, with his many faults, has a few good years left in him. I am totally and completely underwhelmed by Gavin Floyd and can't wait for him to begin proving me wrong in Spring Training games.
I don't know a whole lot about Floyd, I saw him pitch ONCE and thought "Meh, he looks okay." I look at his numbers and I worry. But, then again, if I looked at Matt Thorton's numbers before he came here, I worried then too. I think that Coop may straighten him out. If not, it sounds like we got eight other guys who could do fine. As I've said before, I'd take twelve wins out of the five spot any day. But I think that trading Garcia was a good idea, I was not impressed by his stuff last year and I think we weren't going to re-sign him anyways.

twsoxfan5
02-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I can't say that I'm sad to see Freddy go. He was the one pitcher I liked the least b/c there were too many occasions where it didn't seem like he cared. When someone comes out and admits that they can't get up for a game b/c it's the Royals then I feel like they are just going through the motions. I remember one game last year where someone hit a homerun and everyone got up to congratulate them and they panned over to Freddy on the end of the bench yawning. This article doesn't really bug me, it just seems like same old Freddy.

Frater Perdurabo
02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
And who the heck is Joe Trost? Let me guess, he writes for a Philly newspaper and they "borrowed" his story because they were afraid to write it themselves, like the attack on Guillen by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer last summer.

I knew Joe Trost in grade school. He was a year younger than me. He grew up one block over from me in Mokena (he lived on Third Street, I lived on Bryant.) He was a jag. IIRC, he was a Cub fan. About ten years ago, I started seeing his by-line in the Star Newspapers (Mokena-Frankfort-New Lenox) covering local high school sports. Evidently he's learned from the Mariotti school of journalism, and/or he's trying to get a job with the Tribune.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I can't say that I'm sad to see Freddy go. He was the one pitcher I liked the least b/c there were too many occasions where it didn't seem like he cared. When someone comes out and admits that they can't get up for a game b/c it's the Royals then I feel like they are just going through the motions. I remember one game last year where someone hit a homerun and everyone got up to congratulate them and they panned over to Freddy on the end of the bench yawning. This article doesn't really bug me, it just seems like same old Freddy.
Yea...Freddy just doesn't seem to have an interest in teh game, or at least it looked like that last year.

Whitesox029
02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't think Freddy's comments are likely to ignite a big controversy. The comments by Garcia, those he's attributing to Ozzie, and the comments that Ozzie made publicly all seem like normal reactions to the trade. I don't detect the level of bitterness, for example, that we saw when Maggs or Frank left the team.
Rest assured this will never be discussed by Ozzie or anyone else for more than 10 seconds in Sox camp. Just another non-story that's meant to piss off Sox fans.