PDA

View Full Version : Arbitration for veterans?

chaerulez
02-22-2007, 05:44 AM
I've always wondered how do veterans file for arbitration? Is it before they become a free agent, can they team offer it and the player accepts? Which then leads to a one year deal based on the hearing? Because usually arbitration has been for players that become eligble for it after their 3-4 years of service time but before they can file for free agency. This year Todd Walker won his arbitration case, and I know in the past Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens have gone through the process. So, how does it work for veterans?

munchman33
02-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I've always wondered how do veterans file for arbitration? Is it before they become a free agent, can they team offer it and the player accepts? Which then leads to a one year deal based on the hearing? Because usually arbitration has been for players that become eligble for it after their 3-4 years of service time but before they can file for free agency. This year Todd Walker won his arbitration case, and I know in the past Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens have gone through the process. So, how does it work for veterans?

Any player eligible for free agency can be offered arbitration before December 7th. Anytime before that date, as well as after if arbitration was offered, another team signing the player results in compensation based upon the type of free agent the player was. If the player accepts arbitration, he is guaranteed at least a one year deal with his original team, but loses his ability to negotiate with other teams.