PDA

View Full Version : Dye says he wants to stay with the Sox.

JermaineDye05
02-21-2007, 07:19 PM
I was watching CSN and they talked about JD meeting with the media today. JD stated "I'm not out to break the bank, I just want to be fair. Whatever the market value is, of course in order to be here I'll have to take less money I've done it before already. For me it's not about the money, it's about going out there and winning and having fun and hopefully finishing my career here"

This makes one WSI poster very happy.

crazyozzie02
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
same here. i hope he's telling the truth and not just "selling" himself. Like he siad though, hes done it before. Lets just hope he will do it again like he said he might

HomeFish
02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Dye is the single most underrated player on this team in pretty much every aspect of his game. I'd like to see him here for a while.

goon
02-21-2007, 07:39 PM
same here. i hope he's telling the truth and not just "selling" himself. Like he siad though, hes done it before. Lets just hope he will do it again like he said he might

it's probably easy for players to appreciate the sox organization. kenny seems very up-front, ozzie is a player's manager, good trainers and coaches. you also play on a good field, nice facilities, get paid pretty well (especially if you're a power hitter).

i hope the sox give him a contract, almost more than buehrle.

skottyj242
02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Hopefully it can get done but one that would protect us in case of an injury.

skobabe8
02-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I have man love for JD.

chaerulez
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't question Dye's integrity. He had a verbal agreement with the Sox when he signed with them and at the last second another team came out with a better offer, he chose to still sign with the Sox. I think all things considered, if he hits another 30 HRs, a 3 year deal at 12 million per with an option for a fourth is fair.

santo=dorf
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Why would we want to sign him to another deal? The first time we signed him it was a bad deal. Remember that, Joe Sheehan?
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/images/logo.gif
"Sorry, we're not going to respond to that comment unless you're a sucker and you're going to pay us $9.95 a month."

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
it's probably easy for players to appreciate the sox organization. kenny seems very up-front, ozzie is a player's manager, good trainers and coaches. you also play on a good field, nice facilities, get paid pretty well (especially if you're a power hitter).

i hope the sox give him a contract, almost more than buehrle.
Well, MB is younger and a left handed pitcher which is a more valuable asset to any team. Out of the three upcoming free agents MB, JD and Crede, JD is the one I'm most likely to get let go of. But in a perfect world we'd resign all three. Let's play it by ear, see how the spring goes and then the season. Then we'll make our descions.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
I see JD being here in 2008 as a player.

I see JD being here in 2014 - as a coach.

This is a guy you can build an organization on.

itsnotrequired
02-21-2007, 08:15 PM
"I've already expressed to [the White Sox] that my first choice is to be here and I wanted to get something done this offseason," Dye said. "But they have other things they wanted to try to get done before that.

"I love being here. Chicago is a great place to play in. The fans are great. My teammates are awesome and I get along with everyone. We play together as a team. Ozzie [Guillen] is a great manager. He keeps the clubhouse loose and that's what it's about. That's how you win ballgames."
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070221&content_id=1810908&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

goon
02-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, MB is younger and a left handed pitcher which is a more valuable asset to any team. Out of the three upcoming free agents MB, JD and Crede, JD is the one I'm most likely to get let go of. But in a perfect world we'd resign all three. Let's play it by ear, see how the spring goes and then the season. Then we'll make our descions.

I think with what we've seen from Sweeney, all signs point to him becoming our future RF, but not for another 3 years, or so. Dye adds so much protection to the lineup, big numbers, great defense, and he adds a lot to the clubhouse, more than some might realize. With Thome more than likely leaving, retiring or whatever, when Sweeney is up, I'd like to see Dye as our DH. It's difficult to look that far into the future, but what other RF would you rather have, for the money.

Buehrle is absolutely a valuable asset... for the right price.

crazyozzie02
02-21-2007, 09:48 PM

You forgot The Gooch

RadioheadRocks
02-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Hear, hear... from another happy WSIer!!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
You forgot The Gooch
that's true...

HotelWhiteSox
02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
He's done it before so his word is worth something, then again, I probably wouldn't be able to hold it against him if he wanted more money or left.

munchman33
02-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I think with what we've seen from Sweeney, all signs point to him becoming our future RF, but not for another 3 years, or so.

Um, no. Sweeney finally started to develop his power at the end of last year, the final piece of his game we've been waiting for. Any more than one more season at AAA and his agent will probably be asking for a trade.

JermaineDye05
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Um, no. Sweeney finally started to develop his power at the end of last year, the final piece of his game we've been waiting for. Any more than one more season at AAA and his agent will probably be asking for a trade.

I agree, I see Sweeney as our starting Left Fielder in 2008 with Dye re-signing with us after 2007 (hopefully).

goon
02-21-2007, 10:25 PM

WOW, i thought Sweeney was at least 2 years away because he wasn't even close to his power potential. nice to know he had a surge at the end of last season. plus... he turned 22 yesterday.

lakeviewsoxfan
02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
I believe we will resign JD to a 3 year deal with a team option for a 4th and will see him play RF for 08 and 09 becoming our full time DH for the 10 and 11 campaign, thus allowing Sweeney to move in gradually.

TheOldRoman
02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I agree, I see Sweeney as our starting Left Fielder in 2008 with Dye re-signing with us after 2007 (hopefully).
At that point, I would rather put Jermaine in left. Dye is a former gold glover, and he still does make outstanding plays. However, he doesn't have close to the motor he once had, he has lost a lot of his closing speed. He made a handful of really bad plays last year, and while I think he will be more than serviceable this year, Sweeney would likely be a better option on RF for 08.

The Immigrant
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I believe we will resign JD to a 3 year deal with a team option for a 4th and will see him play RF for 08 and 09 becoming our full time DH for the 10 and 11 campaign, thus allowing Sweeney to move in gradually.

I hope you're right. What I'd give to take a peak at Kenny's "three year board"...

FedEx227
02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
At that point, I would rather put Jermaine in left. Dye is a former gold glover, and he still does make outstanding plays. However, he doesn't have close to the motor he once had, he has lost a lot of his closing speed. He made a handful of really bad plays last year, and while I think he will be more than serviceable this year, Sweeney would likely be a better option on RF for 08.

Yes, agreed. Dye would fit much better at a left fielder in the latter parts of his career (hopefully with the Sox).

Soxfanspcu11
02-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I've got a pretty good feeling that Dye will resign following 2007.

He has always made comments that he wants to stay here.

Unless the Sox low ball Dye in a ridiculous way, he will resign.

As someone else in this thread mentioned, he turned down a better offer from another team in 2004 in order to come to the Sox. He is one of the few pro athletes who seems to not only speak his mind, but to also have integrity and to stand by his word.

I really love the part of the interview where he says that he loves the fans!

Damn straight JD! I have season tickets out in the bleachers and I remember many a times last year that the whole section was chanting, "MVP, MVP, MVP!!!" at him. It gives me chills thinking about it.

So many of the current players on this team have voiced their desire to stay with the Sox, that really is a great sign.

Not only does it show that the Sox have a top notch organization, but that the fans are some of the best in pro sports.

I LOVE BEING A WHITE SOX FAN!!!!!:supernana:

FedEx227
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I've got a pretty good feeling that Dye will resign following 2007.

Don't you read the Tribune? He's gone after the season, there's absolutely no chance you can resign a guy when the season is over.

JermaineDye05
02-21-2007, 11:38 PM
for anyone interested the interview is on whitesox.com

link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070221&content_id=1810908&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I really liked where he said he didn't want to "break the bank" and that he's already made enough money to support his family and he just wants to finish his career off in Chicago.

California Sox
02-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I thought it was interesting that JD credited Frank with helping him make an important minor adjustment to his swing. Gotta love Big Frank. Hope to see him in the playoffs with NYY and/or Boston sitting home.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-22-2007, 12:15 AM
I think with what we've seen from Sweeney, all signs point to him becoming our future RF, but not for another 3 years, or so. Dye adds so much protection to the lineup, big numbers, great defense, and he adds a lot to the clubhouse, more than some might realize. With Thome more than likely leaving, retiring or whatever, when Sweeney is up, I'd like to see Dye as our DH. It's difficult to look that far into the future, but what other RF would you rather have, for the money.

Buehrle is absolutely a valuable asset... for the right price.

I was thinking that too. Dye as a DH would be great after Thome retires. But I still feel that Sweeney will end up playing CF with Anderson in LF.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
So many of the current players on this team have voiced their desire to stay with the Sox, that really is a great sign.

I think it is a good sign, but I'm not going to put too much stock into that because I don't think I've ever heard a guy say "I want out of here as soon as I can!" Everyone wants to stay with their team providing the money is right.

That being said, I think MB and JD will be back...well, either JD or Crede. But I definately think MB will be back.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 03:33 AM
I was thinking that too. Dye as a DH would be great after Thome retires. But I still feel that Sweeney will end up playing CF with Anderson in LF.

That's not going to happen.

We might as well trade for Mark Teahen and put him in CF. It's about as likely.

For all those looking to put Dye in LF and Sweeney in RF...where are we going to get a leadoff hitter? It would have to be from SS or 2B. Or are we signing Ichiro for RF with him playing CF, Sweeney in RF and Dye in LF?

LOL.

hose
02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
It's nice to hear JD say it's NOT just about the money.

Domeshot17
02-22-2007, 08:04 AM
That's not going to happen.

We might as well trade for Mark Teahen and put him in CF. It's about as likely.

For all those looking to put Dye in LF and Sweeney in RF...where are we going to get a leadoff hitter? It would have to be from SS or 2B. Or are we signing Ichiro for RF with him playing CF, Sweeney in RF and Dye in LF?

LOL.

Sweeney looked fine in CF last year. 1 more year from Anderson like last year, and Sweeney will be our CF of the future. The kid is athletic enough to make the transition over. He would be a better option then the 27 year old Jerry Owens next year.

jenn2080
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
It is great to hear that from Dye. I really hope we can work something out with him. He has been a valuable asset to the Sox and is underrated in the league.

soxinem1
02-22-2007, 08:14 AM
While I don't doubt JD's sincerety, let's be realistic. When have you ever heard a player with impending free agency say anything differently? Just recently you had Alfonso Soriano begging not to be traded from WAS. How about Bartolo Colon, Joey Belle, and Alex Fernandez, recently for the White Sox? All big-name free agents who expressed their desires to stay, then split for mega-deals elsewere.

When was the last time you heard a guy say "I'm a free-agent in eight months and I'm getting the hell outta here for the best deal"?

Even a good guy like Jim Thome gets lured by $$$$. When he was a free agent in CLE, JT left to get the bigger bucks in PHI even though you heard the usual soap-box story: loved the city, fans, park, and wanted to win a championship for the organization.

If Dye has a year like 2005-2006 averaged together, I could see a team like LAD or LAA pulling up Fort Knox to land him, successfully.

Steelrod
02-22-2007, 08:19 AM
We love ya, JD!

Murphy10
02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't want to see anyone else in right field other than JD!!

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 08:51 AM
I see JD being here in 2008 as a player.

I see JD being here in 2014 - as a coach.

This is a guy you can build an organization on.

I agree with everything else but I just think the JD would have other things in mind besides coaching.

The Dude
02-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I was watching CSN and they talked about JD meeting with the media today. JD stated "I'm not out to break the bank, I just want to be fair. Whatever the market value is, of course in order to be here I'll have to take less money I've done it before already. For me it's not about the money, it's about going out there and winning and having fun and hopefully finishing my career here"

This makes one WSI poster very happy.

Good and I hope he stays healthy and plays the next 3 with the Sox. After that, he can retire or play for the Orioles (Basically the same thing.):redneck

cws05champ
02-22-2007, 09:03 AM
But if you listen to the Tribune, they obviously are inside the minds of every sox player and know exactly what they are thinking despite their comments. Here is JD's quote followed by Mark Gonzales first sentence after that:

"Of course, to be here I probably have to take less money. I've done it before. For me, it's not about the money. It's about winning and having fun and, hopefully, finishing my career here."

But the money elsewhere might be too great for Dye, who turned 33 last month, to pass up.

Hitmen77
02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Glad to hear JD wants to stay here.

Since ticket sales so far this year are outpacing last year and ticket prices are higher, the Sox should be able to remain in the $100 million payroll range. I understand what KW is saying that he can't pay every starter and every position player $10 million+, but on the other hand at some point, they won't let every high-priced player go either. In the end, at least some of the players among Dye, Crede, Garland, etc. will remain.

However, one quote from the interview puzzles me:
I wanted to get something done this offseason," Dye said. "But they have other things they wanted to try to get done before that.
So, what other things do the Sox want to get done before signing the players who are free agents this year? :?: Is Kenny saying they want to make sure they get all the green seats in first before they move on to less urgent things like retaining players that got them to the World Series?

Thome25
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
In an era of cocky, selfish, arrogant, greedy athletes......Dye truly is a breath of fresh air. He is an honest, humble, stand up guy and the world of sports needs more like him.

I applaude JD.....I hope KW is listening and can work something out with him.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear JD wants to stay here.

Since ticket sales so far this year are outpacing last year and ticket prices are higher, the Sox should be able to remain in the $100 million payroll range. I understand what KW is saying that he can't pay every starter and every position player $10 million+, but on the other hand at some point, they won't let every high-priced player go either. In the end, at least some of the players among Dye, Crede, Garland, etc. will remain.

However, one quote from the interview puzzles me:

So, what other things do the Sox want to get done before signing the players who are free agents this year? :?: Is Kenny saying they want to make sure they get all the green seats in first before they move on to less urgent things like retaining players that got them to the World Series?

Doesn't make much sense?

Long-term deals for Buehrle or Crede? Definitely not for Mark, maybe for Joe, but that went down to the traditional one year contract.

Signing Pods? Well, they didn't have any choice after the market dried up and Matthews, Pierre and Roberts became prohibitively expensive.

Toby Hall? This really can't be a priority over Dye, I HOPE.

Thome25
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Doesn't make much sense?

Long-term deals for Buehrle or Crede? Definitely not for Mark, maybe for Joe, but that went down to the traditional one year contract.

Signing Pods? Well, they didn't have any choice after the market dried up and Matthews, Pierre and Roberts became prohibitively expensive.

Toby Hall? This really can't be a priority over Dye, I HOPE.

I agree with all of this except for The Buehrle and Crede contacts.

This is strictly IMO but, I think KW taking the time to work out long term deals with Buehrle and Crede is about as likely as him being the best man in Scott Boras' wedding.

Buehrle was offered a pretty decent contact and turned it down. That ship has sailed. IMO Crede is a goner after 2008.

Knowing what we know about the Buehrle and Crede situations, I think Dye has to take priority over those two. Especially with Dye's recent comments.

Flight #24
02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
This is just IMO, but I think Kenny may be keeping his options open for now. There could be some very attractive players on the FA market after '07, including ARod. And if not, he's got a couple of youngsters who are either close to ready or ready in Fields & Sweeney. This lets him go with:

- Fields @ 3B, Sweeney/Dye in RF/LF
- Crede @ 3B, Sweeney/Fields in RF/LF
- Crede & Dye and one of Sweeney/Fields in the OF
- Fields, Sweeney, and ARod with door #3 in the OF

The key is that Jermaine will apparently give the Sox the opportunity to keep him, and they have Crede under control regardless. So he can afford to wait. Also, if you think Dye will have a good season, but not the MVP-caliber season of '06, his pricce might even come down a tad.

Now Buehrle - that's still confusing to me. I'd resign him and then you have options to trade one of Jose/Garland/Javy if you end up with 2 yougnsters panning out.

caulfield12
02-22-2007, 10:42 AM
This is just IMO, but I think Kenny may be keeping his options open for now. There could be some very attractive players on the FA market after '07, including ARod. And if not, he's got a couple of youngsters who are either close to ready or ready in Fields & Sweeney. This lets him go with:

The key is that Jermaine will apparently give the Sox the opportunity to keep him, and they have Crede under control regardless. So he can afford to wait. Also, if you think Dye will have a good season, but not the MVP-caliber season of '06, his pricce might even come down a tad.

Now Buehrle - that's still confusing to me. I'd resign him and then you have options to trade one of Jose/Garland/Javy if you end up with 2 yougnsters panning out.

But KW has to worry about the downside risk of lack of performance on a multi-year, $15 million per season contract with Buehrle. He's be very hard to get rid of without eating part of that contract (with a similar performance to 2nd half 06), and the Sox almost NEVER send money as part of a deal.

I was worried about this with Konerko in the middle of his last contract, and with Thome as well. Obviously, every long-term has a risk with a player over 30, Contreras too.

Thome25
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM

I agree that the Sox may earmark the money saved on Dye, Iguchi, and Buehrle for someone else. The may even choose to make a big splash on the FA market with that money.

But, IMO until KW proves otherwise all Scott Boras clients are out of the question. Forget about AROD and Andruw Jones. Forget about re-signing Crede after '08 as well.

Lillian
02-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Wouldn't it be a nice gesture for Sox management to offer to tear up Dye's 2007 contract, and rewrite it as part of a longer term deal. This guy has earned it. He displayed refreshing integrity by honoring his word, after the verbal agreement he made with K.W., to come to the Sox, even after he was subsequently offered more money to go elsewhere.
His contract has been one of the best bargains in the Big Leagues during the last two years. And now for him to be talking about giving the Sox a discount to stay, is really quite admirable. He could be saying; "I've been underpayed the last two years, so now it's time to collect my share".
Can you imagine a certain former Sox player, and future Hall of Famer, talking the way Dye did yesterday?

I say give him a 3 or 4 year deal, including this year, at something fair.
It could be worth a lot of good will for the Sox. I know it might be considered too risky to establish such a precedent, but I think this guy has earned it.

russ99
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't it be a nice gesture for Sox management to offer to tear up Dye's 2007 contract, and rewrite it as part of a longer term deal. This guy has earned it. He displayed refreshing integrity by honoring his word, after the verbal agreement he made with K.W., to come to the Sox, even after he was subsequently offered more money to go elsewhere.
His contract has been one of the best bargains in the Big Leagues during the last two years. And now for him to be talking about giving the Sox a discount to stay, is really quite admirable. He could be saying; "I've been underpayed the last two years, so now it's time to collect my share".
Can you imagine a certain former Sox player, and future Hall of Famer, talking the way Dye did yesterday?

I say give him a 3 or 4 year deal, including this year, at something fair.
It could be worth a lot of good will for the Sox. I know it might be considered too risky to establish such a precedent, but I think this guy has earned it.

I'm totally with you, but unfortunately Jerry Reinsdorf owns the team, who's never set a precedent for good will. I just hope JD gives the Sox a discount to re-sign after the season, like in the Konerko negotiations.

As for Buehrle, left hander or no, his awful season last year totally justifies a re-think on a Lilly/Meche-like huge multi-year deal, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox deal him at the break unless he's having a fantastic year.

maurice
02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I still feel that Sweeney will end up playing CF with Anderson in LF.

:?:
Anderson is one of the best defensive CF in MLB. Sweeney is a RF moonlighting as a CF. Even if Sweeney can hold down CF, he'll never be as good defensively as Anderson, so if they're both starting in the same OF, Anderson will be the one in CF.

rwcescato
02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Dye is the single most underrated player on this team in pretty much every aspect of his game. I'd like to see him here for a while.

I don't understand why KW is waiting. Dye should be signed to a 3-5 year deal. Same with Iguchi. Who is going to play 2nd if they let him go. He is one of the most productive 2nd basemen in baseball.
:angry:

StillMissOzzie
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
While I don't doubt JD's sincerety, let's be realistic. When have you ever heard a player with impending free agency say anything differently? Just recently you had Alfonso Soriano begging not to be traded from WAS. How about Bartolo Colon, Joey Belle, and Alex Fernandez, recently for the White Sox? All big-name free agents who expressed their desires to stay, then split for mega-deals elsewere.

When was the last time you heard a guy say "I'm a free-agent in eight months and I'm getting the hell outta here for the best deal"?

Even a good guy like Jim Thome gets lured by $$$$. When he was a free agent in CLE, JT left to get the bigger bucks in PHI even though you heard the usual soap-box story: loved the city, fans, park, and wanted to win a championship for the organization.

If Dye has a year like 2005-2006 averaged together, I could see a team like LAD or LAA pulling up Fort Knox to land him, successfully.

I don't doubt JD's sincerity either, and recent history has proven him a man of his word. Sadly, though, I agree with you. You could plug in any number of names that have chanted the same mantra: "...I'm happy here, I want to stay...but I want what's fair, I want market value..."
I think that for what he has already meant for the team, let alone what's still in the tank, JD has earned the right of an offer of, say, 3yrs/$40M, with an option on the 4th year. I just hope that KW & JR don't embarass themself with another Ventura-like lowball offer and then claim "We tried to keep him!"

SMO
:(:

SBSoxFan
02-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Schilling about did: link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070222&content_id=1811450&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)