PDA

View Full Version : The Flubsessed Debate ..Wrigley a Shrine?

ZombieRob
02-21-2007, 05:33 PM
OK Ive heard WFAN and the Score and WMVP and keeping hearing what a shrine Wrigley is . First i don't buy it .just because its old and been around since Christ was a child doesn't make it a shrine. I know the ball park comparisons have been beat to death but to me if there is a true shrine still standing its Yankee Stadium .Wrigley is nothing but a landmark that i have to agree with Mike North.And as far as Wrigley goes it never held a grain of salt compared to the old Comiskey .

Dan Mega
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
:whocares

Let them have the shrine. We have the Cell.

IlliniSox4Life
02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Is anybody currently aware of the amount of runs each respective ball club has tallied?

skottyj242
02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Yawn.

*waits for Dump to put his two cents in about driving over somebody or something like that*

QCIASOXFAN
02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
It sure is a shrine here in Iowa. I always see people with their "Wrigley Field" shirts, as well as always here people talk about WF as if it were the Vatican or some holy site. At one of my favorite hangouts they have half the wall painted with "Ivy".:(: There is also a pretty popular bar called "Bleacher Bums" that opened about a year ago here. So yes, where I come from it is a shrine.

chisoxmike
02-21-2007, 06:22 PM
:whocares

Let them have the shrine. We have the Cell.

I second this...

ZombieRob
02-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I second this...
I agree the 2 ballparks ive had the most fun at are the Cell and Miller Park.I hope when it comes to playing the N.L Central i hope the Sox make the trip up north and get a chance to renew trhe old rivalry .Was one of the saddest days when the Brew Crew wento the N.L

Beer Can Chicken
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a 'shrine' but I enjoy watching baseball at Wrigley. I appreciate many things about seeing a game there. Sure there are annoying people that don't have a clue about the game and crappy food but I like the lack of 'forced' stimulation (music blasting between at-bats, for example) that Wrigley provides.

ILuvThatDuck
02-21-2007, 06:49 PM
A shrine? Sure it's a shrine, in the same aspect that the Dallas Cowboys are "Americas team", you call it that long enough and people start to believe it.:angry:

tony1972
02-21-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm going to go out and say I like both Wrigley and The Cell for different reasons.

Wrigley Field IS Nostalgic. It is like stepping back in time (which is starting to change with their ads in the ballparks, the bleacher renovations, etc.) However, when it comes to cleanliness, comfort and amenities..it is not a good ballpark. It is more like visiting the past..which is something a lot of people enjoy. Nostalgia sells.

The Cell does not have much history (2005 added a lot) but that is because it is still a relatively new park. Personally (and not just bias as a Sox fan)..I think the Cell is actually the more beatiful ballpark. The Cell is just laid out better and more brighter. It is much more comfortable.

I have only been to Wrigley because my brother is a die hard Cubs Fan (dad's side of the family is Cubs and mom'd Sox). I wouldn't pay to go to Wrigley..but if someone offers me a free ticket I will go. I love the Sox first..but also love baseball in general.

LongLiveFisk
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
A shrine? Sure it's a shrine, in the same aspect that the Dallas Cowboys are "Americas team", you call it that long enough and people start to believe it.:angry:

Ding ding! We have a winner! :D:

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Wrigley is OK. It's more of a shrine than Yankee Stadium, that's for sure. But it can't compete with Old Comiskey...Wrigley is a cute little white collar ballpark made for a cute little team with a white collar fan base. Old Comiskey was a gritty blue collar ballpark for a gritty team with a blue collar fanbase.

itsnotrequired
02-21-2007, 09:17 PM
MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
Oh, no
No, no
Oh NO!!

SoxandtheCityTee
02-21-2007, 09:34 PM
The last time I was there we were walking in through the main gate, in a crowd, and a little girl just behind us (about four years old) said, quite loudly and clearly, "Mommy, it smells like pee here." Sums it up for me.

Viva Medias B's
02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
:wills
"Of course it's a shrine."

Hitmen77
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I can't wait for mshake10 to jump in with more hit-and-run comments.

The last time I was there we were walking in through the main gate, in a crowd, and a little girl just behind us (about four years old) said, quite loudly and clearly, "Mommy, it smells like pee here." Sums it up for me.

Ahhh, you gotta love little kids. They'll give you the God's-honest truth because they aren't old enough to be drinking the blue kool-aid.

DumpJerry
02-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I would drive by there to see if it is a shrine, but my car got totalled when I hit Skotty.:cool:

Soxfanspcu11
02-21-2007, 10:54 PM
A Shrine? Please, it's a dump.

My father owns a house that is also 100+ years old. The plumbing sucks, the electric wiring sucks, the wood is rotting, the siding is falling off. Is it a shrine just because it's old?? No, it's a piece of ****.

Replace what I just said about this house and apply it to wrigley, with urinals for toilets, dark hallways and corridors, rotting infastructure, and falling concrete and we have 2 "historic" structures.

The only difference is that my dad's house isin't the home to a crappy baseball team and idiot fans.

Anybody want to buy OUR SHRINE?? I can get you a HELL OF A DEAL!:rolleyes:

soxstarter
02-22-2007, 03:00 AM
MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!
Oh, no
No, no
Oh NO!!

OH noooooo, please go back to the haikus!

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Wrigley is OK. It's more of a shrine than Yankee Stadium, that's for sure. But it can't compete with Old Comiskey...Wrigley is a cute little white collar ballpark made for a cute little team with a white collar fan base. Old Comiskey was a gritty blue collar ballpark for a gritty team with a blue collar fanbase.

They sold "history" as a marketing campaign when the lights got installed and the Sox got the stadium deal for CP II. Since they couldn't compete on comfort and amenities anymore, they sold history, vines and Harry Caray. Wrigley's "white collar" fanbase is more due to marketing, but IMO the CUBS fanbase is a decent mix like Sox fans.

Sox fans love the team that plays at the Cell. Wrigley fans love the field the Cubs play on.

Polish a turd, but....

jenn2080
02-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm going to go out and say I like both Wrigley and The Cell for different reasons.

Wrigley Field IS Nostalgic. It is like stepping back in time (which is starting to change with their ads in the ballparks, the bleacher renovations, etc.) However, when it comes to cleanliness, comfort and amenities..it is not a good ballpark. It is more like visiting the past..which is something a lot of people enjoy. Nostalgia sells.

The Cell does not have much history (2005 added a lot) but that is because it is still a relatively new park. Personally (and not just bias as a Sox fan)..I think the Cell is actually the more beatiful ballpark. The Cell is just laid out better and more brighter. It is much more comfortable.

I have only been to Wrigley because my brother is a die hard Cubs Fan (dad's side of the family is Cubs and mom'd Sox). I wouldn't pay to go to Wrigley..but if someone offers me a free ticket I will go. I love the Sox first..but also love baseball in general.

I don't know if I'd call it a 'shrine' but I enjoy watching baseball at Wrigley. I appreciate many things about seeing a game there. Sure there are annoying people that don't have a clue about the game and crappy food but I like the lack of 'forced' stimulation (music blasting between at-bats, for example) that Wrigley provides.

Agreed and agreed. The Cell is a great ballpark, but I can also enjoy a game at Wrigley if the Sox are off and someone has a free ticket. I actually don't mind seeing a game there....well other then the fans and the nasty hotdogs.

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 07:43 AM
OH noooooo, please go back to the haikus!

WSI
talks about Wrigley Field
for the millionth time

what's the deal here?
West grows tired of this crap
Cubs are non-factors

yet time after time
the flubsessed come out in force
to embarrass all

discuss not that team
discuss not that stadium
look to the South Side

go eat a churro
root, root, root for the home team
and let's go White Sox!

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
They sold "history" as a marketing campaign when the lights got installed and the Sox got the stadium deal for CP II. Since they couldn't compete on comfort and amenities anymore, they sold history, vines and Harry Caray. Wrigley's "white collar" fanbase is more due to marketing, but IMO the CUBS fanbase is a decent mix like Sox fans.

Sox fans love the team that plays at the Cell. Wrigley fans love the field the Cubs play on.

Polish a turd, but....

Truer words couldn't have been spoken.

Ahhh, you gotta love little kids. They'll give you the God's-honest truth because they aren't old enough to be drinking the blue kool-aid.

:kneeslap::kneeslap:
It sure is a shrine here in Iowa. I always see people with their "Wrigley Field" shirts, as well as always here people talk about WF as if it were the Vatican or some holy site. At one of my favorite hangouts they have half the wall painted with "Ivy".:(: There is also a pretty popular bar called "Bleacher Bums" that opened about a year ago here. So yes, where I come from it is a shrine.

People hang out in Iowa?

I don't think that the Cowboys have the same pull as they did 10 years ago. Not to mention, the national media is starting to catch on as the tribune being stupid for praising the sCrUBS.

:wills
"Of course it's a shrine."

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

And another thing:

:threadsucks

I mean seriously, aren't there better things to thread about than this crap over again?

Thome25
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
There's a couple of nice Sox VS Cubs debates that I'm involved in at dabearz.com if anyone wants to join in and help the cause they're more than welcome.

mwc44
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM

:rolling: :kneeslap: :rolling:

:thumbsup:

tebman
02-22-2007, 08:24 AM
WSI
for the millionth time

what's the deal here?
Cubs are non-factors

yet time after time
to embarrass all

discuss not that team
discuss not that stadium
look to the South Side

go eat a churro
and let's go White Sox!

:thumbsup:

Haiku! (gesundheit)

WizardsofOzzie
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
WSI
for the millionth time

what's the deal here?
Cubs are non-factors

yet time after time
to embarrass all

discuss not that team
discuss not that stadium
look to the South Side

go eat a churro
and let's go White Sox!
You sir are way too creative for 8:45 AM :smile:

vegyrex
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I agree that Wrigley is a shrine. :o:

Its a shrine to losing, mediocrity, & failure. :D:

QCIASOXFAN
02-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree that Wrigley is a shrine. :o:

Its a shrine to losing, mediocrity, & failure. :D:
:roflmao: :roflmao: Post of the day right here. This is Sig material.

WhiteSox5187
02-22-2007, 12:56 PM

I agree...the people who to go to Wrigley are Wrigley Field fans, not Cub fans or even baseball fans.

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree...the people who to go to Wrigley are Wrigley Field fans, not Cub fans or even baseball fans.

Is this supposed to be in teal?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-22-2007, 01:08 PM

I don't know about that. Cubs fans still wear a ton of gear and represent their team anywhere they go. They have the second largest (next to the Yankees) road crowds in the majors. They're also up there with the Yankees for having the friendliest road crowds in the majors. What I mean by that is they have fans in every baseball city it seems. That's another debate that's been beaten like a deadhorse so I won't even get into it.

Also, a lot of people called Bulls fans, Jordan fans. Yet the arena continues to sellout night in and night out, almost 10 years after he left the franchise. So maybe that whole concept of "Jordan fans" or "Wrigley Field fans" is exaggrated. Does that mean there are no dumb Cubs fans? No, there is tons of them.

hi im skot
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Does that mean there are no dumb Cubs fans? No, there is tons of them.

:o:

WizardsofOzzie
02-22-2007, 01:39 PM
:o:
I'll second that :o:

FarWestChicago
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
WSI
for the millionth time

what's the deal here?
Cubs are non-factors

yet time after time
to embarrass all

discuss not that team
discuss not that stadium
look to the South Side

go eat a churro
and let's go White Sox!Now that is a great post! :thumbsup:

mshake10
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM

Well since you decided to call me out, I'll say that each park has it's own charm. I enjoy the relaxed setting of Wrigley. I love the organ music. And the bleachers are a nice place to watch a game.
I attended my first Sox game last year (vs. Rangers, plus I got last minute seats for vs. Cubs, the day after the brawl. I took some videos from both games, and I'll try to get them on YouTube soon for ya) just to get an experience for the park and it was great. It's really set up for the fans, and I loved the individual renovations. Fireworks night was a nice touch too, something that'll never happen at Wrigley. My goal is to attend one game at each park a year (plus one Cubs/Brewers game at Miller).

cbotnyse
02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Well since you decided to call me out, I'll say that each park has it's own charm. I enjoy the relaxed setting of Wrigley. I love the organ music. And the bleachers are a nice place to watch a game.
I attended my first Sox game last year (vs. Rangers, plus I got last minute seats for vs. Cubs, the day after the brawl. I took some videos from both games, and I'll try to get them on YouTube soon for ya) just to get an experience for the park and it was great. It's really set up for the fans, and I loved the individual renovations. Fireworks night was a nice touch too, something that'll never happen at Wrigley. My goal is to attend one game at each park a year (plus one Cubs/Brewers game at Miller).so just to be clear you are a Cubs fan right?

Soxfanspcu11
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
They have the second largest (next to the Yankees) road crowds in the majors.

I think that Red Sox fans would have something to say about that, and they would be right.

Also, just because people show up to cubs games in other cities does not translate into them being "great" fans.

Have you seen the fans that show up to cubs games on the road??

If not, lets just say that I bet you could clean out all the valuables from every fraternity and sorority house within a 30 mile radius.

Going to a game in "cubbie gear" because it's "cute", drinking 15 Budweisers and not even watching a pitch of the game hardly constitutes one as being a "true fan".

Grzegorz
02-23-2007, 04:59 AM
"go eat a churro"

What the hell is a Churro?

Scottiehaswheels
02-23-2007, 05:11 AM
"go eat a churro"

What the hell is a Churro?:?: You're killing me smalls....

soxstarter
02-23-2007, 07:36 AM
WSI
for the millionth time

what's the deal here?
Cubs are non-factors

yet time after time
to embarrass all

discuss not that team
discuss not that stadium
look to the South Side

go eat a churro
and let's go White Sox!

Haiku Strikes Again! Go Sox! :supernana:

Scottiehaswheels
02-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Its not a shrine but I hope its a mint for me today.... :thumbsup: Keep on coming sheep...

WizardsofOzzie
02-23-2007, 08:22 AM
so just to be clear you are a Cubs fan right?

Yes, mshake10 admitted to being a Cubbie fan when he called Zambrano "my pitcher"

"go eat a churro"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro

Steelrod
02-23-2007, 08:28 AM
A shrine, a Tomb, whats the difference?

nlentz88
02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Is Wrigley a shrine? If you go by a strict interpretation of the term, no, it is not a shrine. It neither holds a relic nor the remains of a venerated holy person. It is not sacred or hallowed, because baseball is a game and not a religion. One could conceivably have a spiritual experience at Wrigley, but heck, I've had spiritual experiences sitting on the crapper.

But if you want to use the term "shrine" loosely, then sure, it can be considered a shrine. Baseball fans (not limited to just Cubs fans) from all over the country/world make pilgrimages there, sometimes annually. Rituals are regularly performed there, e.g. 7th inning stretch. Attendees can sometimes be found in prayer.

I think a better term, though, is landmark. It doesn't have the religious connotations of "shrine." Once you deify a physical object you lose all objectivity towards it. For example, Wrigley definitely has its flaws, but those who believe it to be a shrine cannot see these negative qualities. They're blinded by shrine-ness.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 09:15 AM
A shrine, a Tomb, whats the difference?

A tomb is much cleaner than Wrigley Field.
:tongue:

tony1972
02-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I attended my first Sox game last year (vs. Rangers, plus I got last minute seats for vs. Cubs, the day after the brawl. I took some videos from both games, and I'll try to get them on YouTube soon for ya) just to get an experience for the park and it was great. It's really set up for the fans, and I loved the individual renovations. Fireworks night was a nice touch too, something that'll never happen at Wrigley. My goal is to attend one game at each park a year (plus one Cubs/Brewers game at Miller).

I know what you mean. Each park has it's own charms, good and bad qualities, etc.

I just think Wrigley has been overblown and overrated and the Cell has always received an unfair rap....but I don't dislike Wrigely just because I am a Sox fan.

Wrigely is more laid back..while the Cell has a much more charged atmosphere and is louder (the fans I mean). It's what you prefer.

Kind of like some people prefer their houses to be decorated with everything modern and some may want an older style.

IndianWhiteSox
02-24-2007, 12:19 PM
I know what you mean. Each park has it's own charms, good and bad qualities, etc.

I just think Wrigley has been overblown and overrated and the Cell has always received an unfair rap....but I don't dislike Wrigely just because I am a Sox fan.

Wrigely is more laid back..while the Cell has a much more charged atmosphere and is louder (the fans I mean). It's what you prefer.

Kind of like some people prefer their houses to be decorated with everything modern and some may want an older style.

Some may also want an older style without the stench of urine.
:tongue:

TheVulture
02-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Does that mean there are no dumb Cubs fans? No, there is tons of them.

That's not saying much, you only need about 30-40 idiots to make a couple tons.

vegyrex
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Deep fried manna from heaven. :D:

russ99
03-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Those calling Wrigley a urinal are correct in my experience, however Old Comiskey had just as bad bathroom amenities and the lower-level concourse (especially the small one above the main concourse) had an unmistakable scent (in the 70s) of Old Style, urine and pot.

So let's not dress up Old Comiskey as being the 8th wonder of the world as far as cleanliness goes. However, as a kid, the place was golden. I explored every cranny of that place and sat in every seat I could (before the Andy Frain's kicked me out, of course!) :tongue:

I have to add, if they ever had a fireworks night at Wrigley, it would probably burn the place and a significant portion of the surrounding neighborhood to the ground, especially considering how much alcohol has been soaked in over the years.

AZChiSoxFan
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Those calling Wrigley a urinal are correct in my experience, however Old Comiskey had just as bad bathroom amenities and the lower-level concourse (especially the small one above the main concourse) had an unmistakable scent (in the 70s) of Old Style, urine and pot.

So let's not dress up Old Comiskey as being the 8th wonder of the world as far as cleanliness goes. However, as a kid, the place was golden. I explored every cranny of that place and sat in every seat I could (before the Andy Frain's kicked me out, of course!) :tongue:

The difference though is that most fellow Sox fans I've spoken to on the topic (I ask due to the fact that I didn't grow up in Chicago and I never attended a game at old Comiskey) have told me flat out that Old Comiskey was a dump and they love having the Cell.

cub fan will go on ad nauseum about how wonderful Wrigley is and it would be a tragedy to ever tear it down.

vegyrex
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
The difference though is that most fellow Sox fans I've spoken to on the topic (I ask due to the fact that I didn't grow up in Chicago and I never attended a game at old Comiskey) have told me flat out that Old Comiskey was a dump and they love having the Cell.

Yeah, the old park didn't age very well. I've read plans for a new Sox park were discussed as far back as the 1960's but nothing materialized. I've always like the Cell and I think its a fine park.

cub fan will go on ad nauseum about how wonderful Wrigley is and it would be a tragedy to ever tear it down.
What else do cub fans have to talk about?

Certainly not the team that plays in that dump. :tongue:

bigfoot
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Is Wrigley a shrine? If you go by a strict interpretation of the term, no, it is not a shrine. It neither holds a relic nor the remains of a venerated holy person. It is not sacred or hallowed, because baseball is a game and not a religion. One could conceivably have a spiritual experience at Wrigley, but heck, I've had spiritual experiences sitting on the crapper.

But if you want to use the term "shrine" loosely, then sure, it can be considered a shrine. Baseball fans (not limited to just Cubs fans) from all over the country/world make pilgrimages there, sometimes annually. Rituals are regularly performed there, e.g. 7th inning stretch. Attendees can sometimes be found in prayer.

I think a better term, though, is landmark. It doesn't have the religious connotations of "shrine." Once you deify a physical object you lose all objectivity towards it. For example, Wrigley definitely has its flaws, but those who believe it to be a shrine cannot see these negative qualities. They're blinded by shrine-ness.

Hence the term "Shrine" as applied by the Lovable Loser Sheeple is totally accurate. There seems to be absolutely no objectivity, rational sequence of events or empirical evidence that would lead anyone to conclude that there is not a snowball's chance in Hell of winning a National League pennant in Chicago. :bandance:

Aren't there a few of Steve Goodman's ashes somewhere among the tons of drying compound on the infield? Holy, nah, venerated.....?

GoSox2K3
03-01-2007, 05:20 PM
and the flubsession continues......

Railsplitter
03-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I thought calling Wrigley "The Shrine" was one of those ironic nicknames, like calling a tall guy "Shorty" or a fat guy "Slim"

eastchicagosoxfan
03-02-2007, 10:49 PM

I have to add, if they ever had a fireworks night at Wrigley, it would probably burn the place and a significant portion of the surrounding neighborhood to the ground, especially considering how much alcohol has been soaked in over the years.I still remember the smell at Comiskey when I was a boy, in 1976 or so. It was other-worldly. To this day, it's the coolest green building I've ever been in.
As far as the Cubs and Wrigley go...who cares. The fans love " their " stadium. Big deal. Stadiums ultimately come and go. They're not the Chicago Wrigleys, are they?

MarkM2112
03-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I thought calling Wrigley "The Shrine" was one of those ironic nicknames, like calling a tall guy "Shorty" or a fat guy "Slim"

I guess it's just as ironic that WE call Wrigley Field "The Urinal" when there isn't a single urinal in the whole place... :?: Maybe we should call it "The Trough" (sp?) instead? :D: