PDA

View Full Version : Dream come true: Players coming to us to win

Madscout
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I have heard players say for many years that they go to NY to win. This season, I have heard several players (Erstad is one) say they have come here because they have the best chance to win. Gotta love it!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070127&content_id=1787581&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

chisox77
02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
It is flattering to read that. It comes from the White Sox front office working hard to change the culture and the perceptions about the organization.

:cool:

I want Mags back
02-21-2007, 12:31 PM
sweet:D:

Madvora
02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
JD said the same thing... and he made it happen.

Steelrod
02-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Thome also!

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Yea, but then again if a guy we just signed or picked up in a trade said "I'm here for my paycheck" i'd be worried. Every player is going to say "i'm here to win." If they don't...they don't belong on any major league team.

Believe It!
02-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Yea, but then again if a guy we just signed or picked up in a trade said "I'm here for my paycheck" i'd be worried. Every player is going to say "i'm here to win." If they don't...they don't belong on any major league team.

there are other factors that could be involved other than money, and winning.

ie. I have family there, I grew up there, pitcher/batter friendly ballpark, etc....

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 03:46 PM
there are other factors that could be involved other than money, and winning.

ie. I have family there, I grew up there, pitcher/batter friendly ballpark, etc....
Yea...but in the end I truly do think that money trumps everything else. I'm just cynical though.

mrfourni
02-21-2007, 04:08 PM

For the life of me, I've never heard a player say he was going to the D-Rays to win. The thing is, the question usually doesn't get asked.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 04:21 PM
For the life of me, I've never heard a player say he was going to the D-Rays to win. The thing is, the question usually doesn't get asked.
Well...yea...but I'm sure if like, they sign a big free agent, or like when they brought Ozzie there I'm sure he said something along the lines of "There's a lot on this team and I think we have what it takes to be competive and win. I'm here to help them do that."