PDA

View Full Version : Jenks with a knuckleball?!?!?

esbrechtel
02-21-2007, 08:54 AM
per Comcast Sports Nite, Jenks is hoping to use his change-up this season and possibly a knuckleball, he said "I have been known to break a few shins with it, especially when it is windy..."
I thought Bobby was effective with the fastball, curve and slider....adding a changeup would be really nice but does he really need a knuckler?

I want Mags back
02-21-2007, 08:59 AM
seems like it could work as kinda a "bluff". he can throw this so called knuckler in the dirt to throw the hitter off, and then blow the heater by

mrwag
02-21-2007, 09:04 AM
If he can use it effectively, why not? The more the better.

Frater Perdurabo
02-21-2007, 09:12 AM
All he needs now is an eephus pitch.

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 09:26 AM
If he could efficiently throw a knuckle ball along with his fastball and curve, he could very well be the best closer of our time. That being said, i don't think it's gonna happen

soxfanatlanta
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
If he could efficiently throw a knuckle ball along with his fastball and curve, he could very well be the best closer of our time. That being said, i don't think it's gonna happen

+1

Adding an effective change up would make him unfair.

ILuvThatDuck
02-21-2007, 09:31 AM
All he needs now is an eephus pitch.

Or a gyro ball

EMachine10
02-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Or a gyro ball

sounds delicious :tongue:

skottyj242
02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I would love to see it.

Corlose 15
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Does this remind anyone else of Major League II where Charlie Sheen is naming all of his pitches?

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Does this remind anyone else of Major League II where Charlie Sheen is naming all of his pitches?
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/887/01lq6.jpg
"That looked like the Terminator, only slower. Maybe it was his Out-of-Stater! Or it could have been the Hibernator. That baby is definitely going away for the winter. Whatever for Vaughn, it could be see-ya-later, he's probably gonna become a spectator."

Railsplitter
02-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I can imagine Wilbur Wood and Hoyt Wilhelm saying "Yes, do it, Bobby"

Murphy10
02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
If his knuckler is really that good there is absolutely no reason he shouldn't use it at least once an inning.

The changeup I think will be a pitch were he misses a lot. I can see him throwing that up to high in the strike zone, and hitters teeing off on it. He really needs to keep both the knuckle ball and the changeup low to the ground. If necessary just put it in the dirt and try to get him to chase after it.

But all in all another good season for big bad bobby jenks

ondafarm
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
per Comcast Sports Nite, Jenks is hoping to use his change-up this season and possibly a knuckleball, he said "I have been known to break a few shins with it, especially when it is windy..."
I thought Bobby was effective with the fastball, curve and slider....adding a changeup would be really nice but does he really need a knuckler?

I think he throws his slider as his change of pace pitch. With his delivery, I don't think he could get either change over consistently and not hurt his arm. The circle change would be tough for him to locate well and the straigt change would torque his arm horribly.

I'm taking his knuckleball line as a joke, the motion is very different for that and a fastball.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm taking his knuckleball line as a joke, the motion is very different for that and a fastball.

Yeah - it wouldn't fool too many hitters because they would be able to see it coming from section 506.

CubsfansareDRUNK
02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I believe, and correct me if i'm wrong, that Bobby already has a Knuckle-curve. Since he already throws that effectively, i'm sure its not THAT hard to throw an effective knuckler well.

crazyozzie02
02-21-2007, 05:44 PM
isnt it great how were talking about what pitches that he should add or not add, instead of "who is going to be our closer this year?" God I love Big Bad Bobby Jenks

goon
02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah - it wouldn't fool too many hitters because they would be able to see it coming from section 506.

very true, however, most hitters know Charlie Haegar is going to throw a knuckleball about 80% of the time, it doesn't mean they can hit it. the knuckleball itself, in the right conditions, is very difficult to hit.

ND_Sox_Fan
02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
very true, however, most hitters know Charlie Haegar is going to throw a knuckleball about 80% of the time, it doesn't mean they can hit it. the knuckleball itself, in the right conditions, is very difficult to hit.

Yes, but hitters also know his will be in the strike zone a good portion of the time. If Bobby can get his over, it could be dangerous, but it would do nothing for him to simply throw it in the dirt once in a while.

goon
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes, but hitters also know his will be in the strike zone a good portion of the time. If Bobby can get his over, it could be dangerous, but it would do nothing for him to simply throw it in the dirt once in a while.

yeah, you have a point.

i don't think i was nearly as excited for spring training last season, it's going to be a lot of fun to see all these young pitchers. though, it was awesome to see thome in that sox uniform killing everyone. how many HR's did he have last ST, eight?

ND_Sox_Fan
02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
i don't think i was nearly as excited for spring training last season, it's going to be a lot of fun to see all these young pitchers. though, it was awesome to see thome in that sox uniform killing everyone. how many HR's did he have last ST, eight?

Yeah, he hit 8. In fact, check out last year's statistical leaders (http://pressbox.mlb.com/pressbox/statistics/stats_06.jsp?content=leadal_st06)- I had forgotten about the tear Ross Gload was on.

There are so many guys in camp with things to prove (starters included) that it is going to be fun to watch.

Not only will it be fun to watch Bobby with a change, but Bobby sans the spare tire will be fun as well.

jabrch
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Or a gyro ball

Or a fosh

DumpJerry
02-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I think someone in the Angels' organization will get fired soon.

slavko
02-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Don't get carried away. A closer needs 2 pitches, maybe a third to use once an inning. Keep it simple. You're only going to be in the game for one inning.

soxinem1
02-22-2007, 07:22 AM

I agree. Mechanically it's quite a different pitch to throw.

The hitters will see it coming from the Dan Ryan.

yeah, you have a point.

He hit most of them in the last weekend of ST when Ozzie complained he was hitting too many singles. ST looked a lot like 'Major League II' last year.

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 07:55 AM
How amazing would this be if throws a knuckle right after a 100 mph fastball, hitters would never touch him. He might be the only person to go a whole season with a 0.00 ERA. I don't think that should be in deep pink.

itsnotrequired
02-22-2007, 08:04 AM
How amazing would this be if throws a knuckle right after a 100 mph fastball, hitters would never touch him. He might be the only person to go a whole season with a 0.00 ERA. I don't think that should be in deep pink.

Yes it should.

Norberto7
02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
I'd be surprised if this is not a joke, but it does raise the question if the knuckleball can be thrown effectively on this "out of the blue" basis. I don't think it would be a big deal if the hitters knew it was coming...I mean, how often is a hitter surprised by a Wakefield knuckleball? If done well, it doesn't matter. The question I have is, can you consistently get a dancing knuckleball while throwing it one or two times a game? I would think that'd be a rhythm pitch.

Mullet Master
02-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Having Jenks throw a knuckleball is like having Thome or Konerko bunt. Yeah they may know how to do it, but are they gonna be effective doing it. Just cause he knows how to do it, doesn't mean he actually has to do it.

ondafarm
02-22-2007, 09:02 AM
You really defense knuckleballs and 100mph fastballs totally differently. Trying to throw both in the same at bat would make your infielder's defense crazy.

The other thing is that Bobby's knuckle curve is not a knuckle ball at all. It is thrown with him bending his index finger to position the ball better and get a better grip on the ball.

gobears1987
02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see him experiement with this pitch against real hitters in Spring.

Granted his fastball will be pretty hittable in March since it takes a pitcher like Jenks about a month to get it up to speed.

Gavin
02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I fully support a "Gyroball for Jenks" campaign.

MDF3530
02-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I remember him once on Boers & Bernstein's show saying that his curveball wasn't a true curve, that it was actually a knucklecurve like what Mussina throws.