PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC 2007 Previews and Predictions

monkeypants
02-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Picks the Indians to win the Central and the Sox are slated for fourth.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6841778/?pg=11#anc_spt_MLB_Spring_preview

Scottiehaswheels
02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Well this guy is obviously an asshat. Nothing to see here.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 01:23 AM
81-81? I don't think so. The COULD finish in fourth and be like three games out with 92 wins. This could be like 1967 where you have three (or was it four?) teams within like three games of first.

oeo
02-21-2007, 01:37 AM
81-81? I don't think so. The COULD finish in fourth and be like three games out with 92 wins. This could be like 1967 where you have three (or was it four?) teams within like three games of first.

If they win 92 games, I highly doubt they're in fourth place. Four teams with 90+ wins in the same division is highly unlikely. I think 94 wins will win the division this year, since it is so competitive; and this team can win 94 games. They won 90 last year with pretty bad overall pitching. Buehrle will bounce back, Vazquez will improve, and the bullpen is light years ahead of the '06 version.

81, though? They improved their weaknesses (most notably the bullpen). The Sox will be back on top of the division this year.

Scottiehaswheels
02-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Hell, I think 90 wins takes the cake this year... Indians are gonna be tougher and the Royals will be too.. This will be offset by the Twins having to run Santana out there every single day(and his arm then falling off in June) to compete but... But to say this is a 4th place team is insane..

Division break down this year for me...
Sox/Indians potentially a tie
Tigers
Twins/Royals

02-21-2007, 01:52 AM
This article is so accurate it lists Keith Foulke as a big factor to the Indians bullpen.

QCIASOXFAN
02-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Things are more likely to go wrong than right. Here’s your big disappointment in the AL.What the hell kind of crap is that.:(: I love preseason previews, they are very entertaining.:D:

DumpJerry
02-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I did not waste my time reading the article. Just keep in mind what happened the last time the "experts" picked the Sox to finish in 4th.:D:

dcb56
02-21-2007, 08:08 AM

There were also ten teams in the league with no divisions in 1967, so the likelyhood of four teams finishing with 90+ wins is infinitely greater than it is today under the current division format. In fact I believe last season was the first in which three teams in one division finished with 90 or more wins.

As for the column a fourth place finish with an 81-81 record seems a bit extreme. A 3rd place finish with a win total in the mid 80's would definitley be more defensible.

DarkHorse35
02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey ESPN the Mag picked us fourth two years ago. I like that underdog feeling. Helps them play mad.

AuroraSoxFan
02-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm with darkhorse and dumpjerry. If they want to pick us 4th let them. The last time Sox were picked 4th worked out pretty well in my opinion. I didn't even read the article and am not going to. Soon as I saw 4th and 81-81 that was as much as I needed to see.

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I did not waste my time reading the article. Just keep in mind what happened the last time the "experts" picked the Sox to finish in 4th.:D:

Hey ESPN the Mag picked us fourth two years ago. I like that underdog feeling. Helps them play mad.
Exactly what i was thinking

sox1970
02-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Meh. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I have no expectations this year--good or bad.

I'm certainly not declaring them division champs on February 21. They could start off hot, stay in contention the whole way and win the World Series. They could be mediocre, have injuries, start trading guys, be awful in the second half, and end up 77-85. Who knows this year.

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Meh. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I have no expectations this year--good or bad.

I'm certainly not declaring them division champs on February 21. They could start off hot, stay in contention the whole way and win the World Series. They could be mediocre, have injuries, start trading guys, be awful in the second half, and end up 77-85. Who knows this year.

Or any year for that matter

sox1970
02-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Who knows this year.

Or any year for that matter

True.

NardiWasHere
02-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Am I the only one confused by all the love for the Tribe?

Dan Mega
02-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Picks the Indians to win the Central and the Sox are slated for fourth.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6841778/?pg=11#anc_spt_MLB_Spring_preview

I didn't even read it but...Indians to win? Sox in 4th?

What, did media troll Dayn Perry write this?

soxfanatlanta
02-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Agreed. I can certainly see them improving over last year with their bats alone, but 91-71 and winning the division? Has their bullpen improved that much?

Interesting.

ondafarm
02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Tony DeMarco shows his love for the Yankees by picking them as the class of the AL and winning 94 games with the Red Sox as the wild card team.

To call him clueless would be generous.

Uncle_Patrick
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Add me to the list.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I think the Tribe is going to be contending, but they have some major holes in their bullpen. I'm not prepared to hand over the division to anyone at this point (Sox included). It's going to be a dog fight and four teams are going to be involved. But someone said "It's so hard to tell what's going to happen." That's absolutely true and that is why we play the games. But the beauty of baseball is that at this point in the year, ANYTHING can happen. Even Pirate fans are saying 'Oh, we could win the central this year!'

ondafarm
02-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Honestly, I think the White Sox will run away with the ALCD this year.

HomeFish
02-21-2007, 04:18 PM
The way I see it, last year the Indians underperformed and the Tigers overperformed. This year, things should balance out, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to predict that the Indians will do very well.

I think the Indians and the Twins will finish above the Sox in the division. While, on paper, Detroit might be favored to finish ahead of the Sox, I think the Sox have a decent chance at 3rd place, because I just don't think that everyone in Detroit can repeat their performance from last year.

I think my prediction for 2007 in the last official thread was 85 wins; 81 isn't too far removed from that, and I can certainly see it happening. We might be lucky to get 81 wins if Buehrle and Javy pitch like they did last year.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
The way I see it, last year the Indians underperformed and the Tigers overperformed. This year, things should balance out, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to predict that the Indians will do very well.

I think the Indians and the Twins will finish above the Sox in the division. While, on paper, Detroit might be favored to finish ahead of the Sox, I think the Sox have a decent chance at 3rd place, because I just don't think that everyone in Detroit can repeat their performance from last year.

I think my prediction for 2007 in the last official thread was 85 wins; 81 isn't too far removed from that, and I can certainly see it happening. We might be lucky to get 81 wins if Buehrle and Javy pitch like they did last year.
Boy I hope your wrong...I think this team can easily win 90 again, they did last year just based on pitching and if Buerhle and Javy turn things around then this is a team that can easily win 95.

cheeses_h_rice
02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Honestly, I think the White Sox will run away with the ALCD this year.

You're way more optimistic than I am. I think the Tigers will be very good, again, and you can never count the Twins out. The Jndjans I just don't see as much of a threat, but they'll undoubtedly be a .500+ team.

spiffie
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM

It certainly didn't take :cleo to see this coming.

Just curious, what was your official prediction for 2005? And how many wins were you off by that year?

Edit: I decided to find out myself.

I'd say the team is good for about 75-80 wins. The pitching is better than it has been for a while, but I think each and every one of our starters, with the possible exception of Freddy, is overrated...

If you don't think we're good for more than 81-85 wins this year, I feel more confident than ever.

PKalltheway
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
In fact I believe last season was the first in which three teams in one division finished with 90 or more wins.
The AL West and NL West did it in 2002. It is pretty rare though.

ondafarm
02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
You're way more optimistic than I am. I think the Tigers will be very good, again, and you can never count the Twins out. The Jndjans I just don't see as much of a threat, but they'll undoubtedly be a .500+ team.

A quick thumbnail sketch of my reasons.

The Sox have a solid foursome of SPs and pretty much open competition for the last SP slot. Their candidates are all young up and coming and TALENTED kids. No gross overachievers, all guys with something to prove. That means a top notch rotation.

Twins: Santana and the Four Mysterios.

Cleveland: Decent SP but their defense has failed them again and again up the middle. Two good defenders there (Sizemore & Barfield) two pathetic ones (Perralta and Martinez.) That is a recipe for disaster.

Tigers: Kenny Rogers will be the poster boy for the 10 game suspension for defacing the ball. Their great young pitching staff virtually all violated the never add more than 30 IP to your career high in any one year. That is also a recipe for disaster. Drop Tigers down a notch on SP.

Sox RP has more power arms than anyone. The Twins have a decent bullpen, but their numbers are grossly inflated by pitching in that dome.

Cleveland: RP problems.

Tigers: Closer problems.

Lineup: If the Sox finally have a two lead-off hitter system, then they should be able to score runs in both blowouts and small ball games. That wins games.

Twins: M & M due for a down year.

Indians: Sizemore, Pronk and the seven dwarfs.

Tigers: You love this offense? Sheffield is injury prone and a clubhouse cancer.

Utility players: Sox have a really solid bench and they will get used.
Twins: Have trouble finding nine quality guys to trot out there. They stink on the road.
Indians: yeah right.
Tigers: Neifi Perez?

This doesn't look close to me. And anyone who says that Cleveland's multi-year streak of underperforming Pythagorean, doesn't understand why they are underperforming in the first place.

soxwon
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM

honestly- ill predict we win this division going away.
if i had money id bank on it.
im that confident, we are the best in baseball
no question in my mind.
i see us dominating from day 1, like in 05.
i dont care what everyone says, we are the best.
this is going to be even better than 05.

thomas35forever
02-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I don't understand why everyone thinks the Indians are gonna be so good this year. I don't recall them making any headline moves or doing anything to improve for that matter.

If we finish at exactly .500, this will be one of the most disappointing Sox teams in recent memory. We're finishing in third at the worst this year. We'll win the Wild Card because I still think the Tigers are the most stacked team in our division.

thomas35forever
02-21-2007, 11:45 PM
A quick thumbnail sketch of my reasons.

The Sox have a solid foursome of SPs and pretty much open competition for the last SP slot. Their candidates are all young up and coming and TALENTED kids. No gross overachievers, all guys with something to prove. That means a top notch rotation.

Twins: Santana and the Four Mysterios.

Cleveland: Decent SP but their defense has failed them again and again up the middle. Two good defenders there (Sizemore & Barfield) two pathetic ones (Perralta and Martinez.) That is a recipe for disaster.

Tigers: Kenny Rogers will be the poster boy for the 10 game suspension for defacing the ball. Their great young pitching staff virtually all violated the never add more than 30 IP to your career high in any one year. That is also a recipe for disaster. Drop Tigers down a notch on SP.

Sox RP has more power arms than anyone. The Twins have a decent bullpen, but their numbers are grossly inflated by pitching in that dome.

Cleveland: RP problems.

Tigers: Closer problems.

Lineup: If the Sox finally have a two lead-off hitter system, then they should be able to score runs in both blowouts and small ball games. That wins games.

Twins: M & M due for a down year.

Indians: Sizemore, Pronk and the seven dwarfs.

Tigers: You love this offense? Sheffield is injury prone and a clubhouse cancer.

Utility players: Sox have a really solid bench and they will get used.
Twins: Have trouble finding nine quality guys to trot out there. They stink on the road.
Indians: yeah right.
Tigers: Neifi Perez?

This doesn't look close to me. And anyone who says that Cleveland's multi-year streak of underperforming Pythagorean, doesn't understand why they are underperforming in the first place.
Where's your love for the Royals??!! SportsNation's picking them to win the division this year, so they must be right!

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
The thing is this article is wrong on all bases, I mean the fact that Luis Terrero and Junior Spivey are role players for the Sox and Keith Foulke is the closer for the tribe. People don't even bother to get angry or take this crap seriously, just remember that everytime Homefish underestimates the White Sox good things happen.

balke
02-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Bottomline is the Sox have all the tools to win the World Series. If Kenny traded away Garcia and Mccarthy for nothing, then that is his big blunder, but I've never seen that big of a blunder out of KW.

Finally this bullpen is looking solid. If this Sox team can't finish at least a close 2nd in this league, I'm ready for a fire sale. We have one of the fastest players in the league, one of the best defenses in baseball, one of the best starting four pitching staffs, one of the best homerun hitting teams, and hopefully one of the best bullpens.

I don't expect to hear a peep out of Cleveland this season. Minnesota always finds a way to make some noise, but the White Sox are a much better looking team right now. I can't wait to see how we loook in ST.