PDA

View Full Version : Smoke n' Heat: Bullpen '07

Jerksticks
02-21-2007, 12:43 AM
I just watched game 1 of the WS today. Cotts comes in with 1st + 3rd no outs and strikes out 2 guys. Then Jenks strikes out 3 outa the next 4 guys for the win.

This is what I picture for '07.

1. Offense the same or slightly improved.

2. Rotation giving 6-7 innings/night.

3. The bullpen rippin smoke n heat up the other teams ass for 2+ innings.

This bullpen has me :bandance: !!!!! What you think boys?? And what would you nickname them if they are indeed awesome.

HomeFish
02-21-2007, 01:23 AM

That's awfully optimistic of you. Javy isn't capable of giving us 6 good innings on anything of a consistent basis. Buehrle is coming off one of the worst half-seasons of his career -- nothing says he will be capable of giving us 6 good innings either. And Gavin Floyd is, to put it nicely, far from a proven starter.

I agree with you that the bullpen is pretty awesome. If things go well, we'll have a bullpen like the Angels did in 2005, where every guy can simply overpower you. But the question is, will they have anything to hold and save?

VenturaIsAGod
02-21-2007, 01:51 AM

I'm really excited to see how this shapes up. I know we've been depending on Coop a little too much, but if he can amaze me one more time and harness the potential of this group of guys, it'd be the last time I doubt anyone on our current coaching staff.

This is a pretty empty statement at this time, but we're gonna be special this year. I'm more excited about this season than any in recent memory, including last years, when I was just happy we won in '05.

dcb56
02-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I just watched game 1 of the WS today. Cotts comes in with 1st + 3rd no outs and strikes out 2 guys. Then Jenks strikes out 3 outa the next 4 guys for the win.

This is what I picture for '07.

1. Offense the same or slightly improved.

This bullpen has me :bandance: !!!!! What you think boys?? And what would you nickname them if they are indeed awesome.

In other words, it seems you think all of KW's gambles will pay off, everything will go as planned and nothing will go wrong. I take it you're a glass is half full type of guy. Check that, with 5 inning Javy and a gaping hole in the Sox 5th starter slot, you must see the glass as being 3/4 full.

That's awfully optimistic of you. Javy isn't capable of giving us 6 good innings on anything of a consistent basis. Buehrle is coming off one of the worst half-seasons of his career -- nothing says he will be capable of giving us 6 good innings either. And Gavin Floyd is, to put it nicely, far from a proven starter.

I agree with you that the bullpen is pretty awesome. If things go well, we'll have a bullpen like the Angels did in 2005, where every guy can simply overpower you. But the question is, will they have anything to hold and save?

No doubt the bullpen is improved, but the biggest concern I have is whether or not the rotation will be able to hold up their end of the deal. With Javy and a giant Question Mark (both the 5th starter slot and Buehrle) in the Sox rotation, there is the very real possibility that the bullpen have to put in a ton of work, increasing the odds that they'll, as Hawk would say, get ridden hard and left wet.

DarkHorse35
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey you never know nobody gave us half a chance 2 years ago.

sox1970
02-21-2007, 09:45 AM
The only thing I'll say about the bullpen, is I hope that each pitcher is good enough to pitch a full inning or two at a time. I don't want to see a bunch of lefty/righty crap. If they're considering making Sisco and Masset starters down the line, then they're going to have to be good enough to get both lefties and righties out.

Rounding_Third
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
.....and a giant Question Mark (both the 5th starter slot and Buehrle) in the Sox rotation, there is the very real possibility that the bullpen have to put in a ton of work, increasing the odds that they'll, as Hawk would say, get ridden hard and left wet.

Buehrle will be fine. Stop worrying about him. Ask yourself this: "Was last year an aberration or is Buehrle "over the hill" because that's what this really comes down to. I think the 236 inning he pitched in 2005 plus the reduced offseason recovery time is clearly the reason for his disappointing 2006. When I look at his career numbers, I am quite confident that he'll rebound very strongly this year. With the improved bullpen, he may even flirt with 20 wins. I put him in the same category as a Jamie Moyer but better; nothing overpowering, just very crafty. Moyer has had a very nice and very long career. Mark has many fine years left in him including 2007.

oeo
02-21-2007, 11:16 AM

For the last time, Buehrle was not awful the whole second half. He had a couple of starts (most notably a huge game against Minnesota at the end of August) in which he looked like the Buehrle of old. Some of you are going way overboard, thinking that he cannot return.

sox1970
02-21-2007, 11:26 AM
For the last time, Buehrle was not awful the whole second half. He had a couple of starts (most notably a huge game against Minnesota at the end of August) in which he looked like the Buehrle of old. Some of you are going way overboard, thinking that he cannot return.

Starting with the Cubs start before the AS Break, he was bloody awful the rest of the way...overall. Sure, he got away with some games here and there, but he was awful at locating his pitches. But I do think a lot of it had to do with his conditioning, and getting gassed from the previous year. I think he'll be ready to go, and I'm expecting the typical 16-17 wins with 20-22 quality starts and 220 innings.

areilly
02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey you never know nobody gave us half a chance 2 years ago.

True, but the flipside of that is that the Sox were preseason favorites to win the World Series in 2006, and you can see how that worked out. You can't put too much stock in what oddsmakers, pundits and Internet message board posters say about the future.

oeo
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Starting with the Cubs start before the AS Break, he was bloody awful the rest of the way...overall. Sure, he got away with some games here and there, but he was awful at locating his pitches. But I do think a lot of it had to do with his conditioning, and getting gassed from the previous year. I think he'll be ready to go, and I'm expecting the typical 16-17 wins with 20-22 quality starts and 220 innings.

Yes, but the way people are talking around here, it was as if he showed nothing. He was pretty bad overall, but he also showed flashes of what he's done in his career. It wasn't as if he totally lost it like some people believe.

balke
02-21-2007, 01:05 PM
I gotta have faith that between Floyd, Massett, and Sisco SOMEONE has to be able to pitch well out of the 5th spot. THat makes me somewhat optimistic.

Buehrle has had bad half seasons before, only to follow them with good full seasons, and that has me excited.

My only big question mark is Vazquez. If he's our #4 he's gotta pitch better than last season. I remember he did real well at the end of the year though, so I am hoping that continues and he can keep pace with what Contreras, and Garland are doing. I'm not just optimistic, I'm set up for a fall. This team should go out and win, they should be front-runners or neck in neck for this division all season.

SoxSpeed22
02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I think Vazquez will be fine. No one gave Jose a chance in the middle of '05 and he figured it out. I'm more concerned about the 5th starter situation and hope this doesn't turn into the black hole it was from '02-'04. And that affects the bullpen to because of unnecessary innings.
If Pods isn't healthy and this turns into another station to station year can be another concern.

Murphy10
02-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Yeah I think Vaquez will be able to start the season giving us a couple 6/7/8 inning games. With a ton of strikeouts per game. But as the season progresses I think we will begin to see shades off last year by him going. 4/5/6 innings a game. That 5th inning is just absolutely killer!

Jerksticks
02-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm betting buerhle will be fine. It's Vazquez that's the only question mark. Most teams don't have a great 5th starter anyway; we had the potential to be really blessed last year with a deep 5 (didnt pan out). I think if Vazquez does his thing, this bullpen is gonna be lights out all year. Historically lights out!

soxwon
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I have a name for them.
THE DOOMSDAY GANG!!!!!!

soxinem1
02-22-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm betting buerhle will be fine. It's Vazquez that's the only question mark. Most teams don't have a great 5th starter anyway; we had the potential to be really blessed last year with a deep 5 (didnt pan out). I think if Vazquez does his thing, this bullpen is gonna be lights out all year. Historically lights out!

I'm no Vazquez fan, but he was way better than Buerhle by far all year. Coming into ST, the quality of Vazquez stuff is not in question, Buerhle's is.

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 09:02 AM
This may be the first time in a while that if the starters **** it all up by struggling to get out of the 5th three days in a row, the bullpen can carry the White Sox to victory. I haven't been this excited about a bullpen like this in quite some time. I doesn't even matter about the 5th starter with this bullpen as long a 1-4 holds up. This group of guys in the bullpen can just bring it and may be the best bullpen in the history of baseball.

MISoxfan
02-22-2007, 02:08 PM

nothing says he will be capable of giving 6 good innings?

This says he is
4-1 4.21 ERA
16-8 3.29
19-12 3.58
14-14 4.14
16-10 3.89
16-8 3.12
9-6 4.02

This says he isn't
3-7 6.44

Of course nothing says he will give us 6 good innings a game for certain, nothing says that about Johan Santana either, but I like the odds on both.

SBSoxFan
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
nothing says he will be capable of giving 6 good innings?

This says he is
4-1 4.21 ERA
16-8 3.29
19-12 3.58
14-14 4.14
16-10 3.89
16-8 3.12
9-6 4.02

This says he isn't
3-7 6.44

Of course nothing says he will give us 6 good innings a game for certain, nothing says that about Johan Santana either, but I like the odds on both.

And didn't he lose 10 in a row that year? Mark'll be fine!