PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone catch this?

caulfield12
02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
"Guillen has backed away slightly from the idea of using Iguchi in the leadoff spot while Scott Podsednik recovers from a sports hernia operation, in part because Iguchi batted only .252 against left-handers.

Pablo Ozuna could be his choice against left-handed starters, but Guillen can see Iguchi hitting seventh with Darin Erstad and Podsednik batting 1-2."
www.chicagosports.com (http://www.chicagosports.com)

I wonder if BA really is the favorite in Ozzie's mind to win the CF job. And not sure how I feel about Erstad and Pods in that order, but it's definitely something different. Not sure why it wouldn't be Pods and THEN Erstad though.

JB98
02-20-2007, 10:38 PM
"Guillen has backed away slightly from the idea of using Iguchi in the leadoff spot while Scott Podsednik recovers from a sports hernia operation, in part because Iguchi batted only .252 against left-handers.

Pablo Ozuna could be his choice against left-handed starters, but Guillen can see Iguchi hitting seventh with Darin Erstad and Podsednik batting 1-2."
www.chicagosports.com (http://www.chicagosports.com)

I wonder if BA really is the favorite in Ozzie's mind to win the CF job. And not sure how I feel about Erstad and Pods in that order, but it's definitely something different. Not sure why it wouldn't be Pods and THEN Erstad though.

I don't think BA is the favorite to win the CF job. Ozzie said at Sox Fest, "Anderson is not my everyday CF." I interpret that statement to mean Ozzie is strongly considering other options.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I don't like the idea of Erstad playing everyday, he belongs in a reserve role, where he won't get injured as easily. Anderson just needs time, I think he has a lot of potential.

crazyozzie02
02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't like the idea of Erstad playing everyday, he belongs in a reserve role, where he won't get injured as easily. Anderson just needs time, I think he has a lot of potential.

I agree, but disagree at the same time. If he returns to his old form then i want him to start. otherwise a very good bench player he shall be

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I think a platoon idea between Erstad and Anderson would work best. I think Anderson has a lot of potential, but potential doesn't win pennants. We're going to need a guy to come through in the clutch and last year Anderson couldn't do that and there is no guarentee that he will do that this year (nor is there a guarentee that Erstad will either) but by throwing a veteran in there you take a lot of heat of Anderson and I think this will allow him to bloom better.

MisterB
02-21-2007, 02:36 AM
I think Anderson has a lot of potential, but potential doesn't win pennants.

Considering a third of our pitching staff is 'potential', we'd better hope it does win pennants....

soxfanatlanta
02-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Pablo Ozuna could be his choice against left-handed starters, but Guillen can see Iguchi hitting seventh with Darin Erstad and Podsednik batting 1-2.

I like the idea of Iguchi-san hittin in the 7 spot. Hell, I'm sure he likes it too. He could put up some good numbers this year.

Madscout
02-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I just don't get this bull with Anderson. Ozzie talks about showing confidence in his players (especially pitchers). But a rookie who comes in who is not doing as well at the plate all of the sudden is a liablilty. Not, say a shortstop that swings like a rookie. I think he is just playing favorites here, and not giving Anderson a fair shot at it.

PaulDrake
02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I just don't get this bull with Anderson. Ozzie talks about showing confidence in his players (especially pitchers). But a rookie who comes in who is not doing as well at the plate all of the sudden is a liablilty. Not, say a shortstop that swings like a rookie. I think he is just playing favorites here, and not giving Anderson a fair shot at it. I agree. Both KW and Ozzie bother me with their personal vendettas.

caulfield12
02-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree. Both KW and Ozzie bother me with their personal vendettas.

Foulke
Rauch
Jimenez (deserved)
Lofton (deserved)
Magglio and C-Lee (somewhat deserved)
Frank Thomas (we all know that story)
Sean Tracey
Durham
Sean Lowe
Kip Wells
Rick White
Widger

One of the few players I remember making a relatively quiet exit was Valentin.

Rowand also...Carl Everett, although Carl and Willie Harris were shooting off their mouths about leadership last spring, and perhaps they had a point, although the pitching was the MAIN reason we failed to make the playoffs.

Sandy Alomar, Jr. Those were in the minority who didn't leave with a bad taste. Baines I suppose....

Not to mention Fisk, McDowell and Ventura getting dumped.

Madscout
02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I've noticed too, that he shows a lot of faith with the Hispanic players on the team. I realize that the sucess of other Hispanic players is of interest to him, being of Hispanic origin. I mean, the guy loved Freddy as a son, and doesn't say a word about Uribe being in trouble(as he should). However, what would the result if he showed Anderson the same love and took him under his wing. Imagine how much better the orginaztion as a whole is when Anderson produces. Giving the job to the right guy is important, but a culture where you can't do your job because your worried about the guy who's gonna take it is no good either. How's the kid gonna get better with no at bats anyway.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I've noticed too, that he shows a lot of faith with the Hispanic players on the team. I realize that the sucess of other Hispanic players is of interest to him, being of Hispanic origin. I mean, the guy loved Freddy as a son, and doesn't say a word about Uribe being in trouble(as he should). However, what would the result if he showed Anderson the same love and took him under his wing. Imagine how much better the orginaztion as a whole is when Anderson produces. Giving the job to the right guy is important, but a culture where you can't do your job because your worried about the guy who's gonna take it is no good either. How's the kid gonna get better with no at bats anyway.
Oh, I don't think that's fair. Uribe was in his doghouse a lot last year and after Garcia was complaining that he didn't get enough run support I remember Ozzie saying "Well, when you give up five runs, it's hard to win..." Garcia was his brother in law or something. Ozzie doesn't give Hispanic guys a break. He's hard on 'em

Someone also pointed out how we tend to rip our players once they leave, that's something we need to work on. We've been doing that long before Kenny came here and I wonder if that isn't more a Reisendorf thing.

INSox56
02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I just don't get this bull with Anderson. Ozzie talks about showing confidence in his players (especially pitchers). But a rookie who comes in who is not doing as well at the plate all of the sudden is a liablilty. Not, say a shortstop that swings like a rookie. I think he is just playing favorites here, and not giving Anderson a fair shot at it.
especially when, before the season, Guillen says himself "if we are relying on Brian Anderson to hit, then we've got bigger problems." So why are you getting on him then, Oz, if you didn't expect anything from him anyway???

ondafarm
02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Anybody else notice that Guillen called Iguchi "Igu" ??

JermaineDye05
02-21-2007, 03:20 PM

I've always heard him call Tadahito, Igu, but I just have never seen it printed before.

Carp
02-21-2007, 03:23 PM

I'm pretty sure that was his nickname in Japan. It's probably just what he likes being called.

maurice
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
When KW signed him, Iguchi said that his nickname in Japan was "Tad."

He also said that he doesn't care what people call him as long as they DON'T call him "Gooch."

Justagirl
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
When KW signed him, Iguchi said that his nickname in Japan was "Tad."

He also said that he doesn't care what people call him as long as they DON'T call him "Gooch."
I could have sworn I remember reading that he didnt mind being called *Gooch* but when he first came here & the crowd was chanting *Gooch* when he was A/B, he thought he was being boo'ed.

ondafarm
02-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I could have sworn I remember reading that he didnt mind being called *Gooch* but when he first came here & the crowd was chanting *Gooch* when he was A/B, he thought he was being boo'ed.

Having played minor league ball in Japan, I reccomend never calling a Japanese player "Gooch", it would be attributed to booing.

drewcifer
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Having played minor league ball in Japan, I reccomend never calling a Japanese player "Gooch", it would be attributed to booing.

Oh sure - NOW you tell us! And all this time, I've been screaming "Gooch" at the top of my lungs at these minor league games I've been going to in Japan...

:redneck

ondafarm
02-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh sure - NOW you tell us! And all this time, I've been screaming "Gooch" at the top of my lungs at these minor league games I've been going to in Japan...

:redneck

No comment.

jdm2662
02-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Gullien convinced me last season he doesn't like Anderson. While I would agree Anderson didn't always justify his starting spot (hitting wise), he was the only guy on the roster who could play CF. And, he played the position very well. Ozzie seemed to use his personal feelings and it didn't matter it hurt the team. It was just wrong.

Soxfanspcu11
02-23-2007, 12:04 AM
especially when, before the season, Guillen says himself "if we are relying on Brian Anderson to hit, then we've got bigger problems." So why are you getting on him then, Oz, if you didn't expect anything from him anyway???

Amen to that!

I thought that it was widely known that BA was out in center for his DEFENSE, NOT his OFFENSE!!!

Around this time last year, I remember Kenny, Ozzie and Walker saying things to the effect of, "Brian is a great defensive centerfielder, any offense we get out of him is a bonus". Not that exact quote, but something along those lines.

I have said it NUMEROUS times and I will continue to say it, if Brian HAD been our everyday centerfielder, we WOULD have made the playoffs last year.

Being a season ticket holder, I only missed about 5 games last year. Of the 76 or so that I did go to, I can recall at least 5 games that Rob cost us with his glove in center. And those were just home games.

I know that Rob did save us a few times, but only a few.

I really do believe that the Sox would have made the playoffs had Brian been in center a lot more than he was. It's a shame.:whiner: