PDA

View Full Version : Logan's "mental breakdown" and AJ's handling of pitchers

Vernam
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm surprised nobody (so far as I can tell) has posted about today's S-T story where Boone Logan IMO goes just a little too far (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/264529,cst-spt-sox20a.article) in discussing problems he had adjusting to being a big leaguer:

''I understand what it is being a rookie, and I understand it sucks,'' Logan said. ''I understand there are rookie things you have to do, and I have no problem with that. But when you start messing with a guy's head to where it affects the way he plays on the field, that's going too far. Being a rookie and treated like that is part of the game, and I was happy to go through that. But don't exceed the line.'':whiner: Elsewhere, he implies there's one person in particular who hassled him the most:

''I have some ideas who would say that,'' Logan said of the perception about his attitude. ''But I've never been a cocky guy my entire life. People that really know me, the guys that played with me in the minors ... I would never act cocky. I never have, never will. If I did come across like that to people, you have to understand that I was just trying to fit in, trying to have fun with the guys. They probably took it the wrong way.Another S-T story (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/262885,CST-SPT-sox19.article) today has some interesting quotes from AJ. On one hand, he praises Logan when talking about what's important for pitchers to show in Spring Training:

''Strikes are No. 1,'' he said. ''Then command -- more than one pitch is usually a good indication. You look for action on the ball, good velocity. That's how Boone Logan made the team out of spring last year. He threw strikes down here.''On the other hand, AJ says this:

''Certain guys walk around here like they're great, like they're $10 million-a-year pitchers already, and then they get on the mound and everything falls apart,'' Pierzynski said. ''Those are the kinds of things we'll watch for and try to get to know them as quickly as we can while we're here. We all have a lot of work to do to make sure we pick the right guys for the right situations.''
Draw your own conclusions, but Coop's comments are interesting, re: the need to kick AJ in the ass periodically.

Vernam

oeo
02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Good riddance, Boone, I hope I never have to see you or your size 20 feet in a regular season game, again. You suck, stop crying about it.

QCIASOXFAN
02-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Good riddance, Boone, I hope I never have to see you or your size 20 feet in a regular season game, again. You suck, stop crying about it.
Never been a big Boone fan myself. The guy stinks.

oeo
02-20-2007, 08:40 PM

He was a good story last year, until he could not do simple things such as cover first base. Or get anyone out, that too. Then when you hear him whine about rookie hazing, and that he was cocky, Boone Logan was cocky...he just turned into a very unlikable character.

soxinem1
02-20-2007, 08:50 PM
He was a good story last year, until he could not do simple things such as cover first base. Or get anyone out, that too. Then when you hear him whine about rookie hazing, and that he was cocky, Boone Logan was cocky...he just turned into a very unlikable character.

Almost every kid in the WORLD (and most of us guys too) would GLADLY take part in such things, because the odds of NOT being a big leaguer in your lifetime are enomous.

I rooted for this kid last year, but if he has a problem with big league rituals as he did with big league hitters, then he belongs in a fast-food place wiping tables.

What nerve!!

rdwj
02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Sounds like Boone had Frank Thomas disease - just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut and smile.

JUribe1989
02-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Logan can shut his ****ing mouth. He was absolutely terrible last year. He's just another no-good reliever that will never become anything because he can't throw strikes. We should DFA him right now because he is completely worthless.

santo=dorf
02-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Logan can shut his ****ing mouth. He was absolutely terrible last year. He's just another no-good reliever that will never become anything because he can't throw strikes. We should DFA him right now because he is completely worthless.
Glad you're not the GM.

Otherwise our young pitchers wouldn't develop, Ross Gload would be the starting first baseman, Junior Spivey would be at second, and Mark Redman would be our opening day starter.

Not every rookie can be K-Rod when called up to the big show. :rolleyes:

soxfan13
02-20-2007, 09:01 PM

If you really read the article you will see thats the exact reason why he did make the club. He was throwing strikes.

oeo
02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Glad you're not the GM.

Otherwise our young pitchers wouldn't develop, Ross Gload would be the starting first baseman, Junior Spivey would be at second, and Mark Redman would be our opening day starter.

Not every rookie can be K-Rod when called up to the big show. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I do expect them to do simple, fundamental things, such as covering first base. That's something Logan couldn't even do...and he wants to call himself a big league pitcher? Ha!

The way it sounds, this guy thinks he's God's gift to baseball, when in all reality, he probably won't amount to anything.

soxfan13
02-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, but I do expect them to do simple, fundamental things, such as covering first base. That's something Logan couldn't even do...and he wants to call himself a big league pitcher? Ha!

The way it sounds, this guy thinks he's God's gift to baseball, when in all reality, he probably won't amount to anything.

And the kid is admitting he ****ed up. Lots of folks here need to get off their high horses! I got the exact opposite from the article . That he made the team out of nowhere and thought he was Gods gift to baseball and then reality came and smacked him down hard. It sounds like he has learned from that mistake and is hoping that he gets another shot to show he isnt a idiot.

oeo
02-20-2007, 09:14 PM
And the kid is admitting he ****ed up. Lots of folks here need to get off their high horses! I got the exact opposite from the article . That he made the team out of nowhere and thought he was Gods gift to baseball and then reality came and smacked him down hard. It sounds like he has learned from that mistake and is hoping that he gets another shot to show he isnt a idiot.

Well, he's soured on me. I didn't just suddenly dislike the guy after reading his comments, I haven't liked him for awhile. Then I heard about his character issues months ago, and now he just whined about hazing. Come on, you're playing baseball, I would love to have to go through that stuff. Don't whine about it, and if you do, do it behind closed doors, not where the media can run with it.

maurice
02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I expect every guy who jumps 3 levels and makes the MLB team without so much as a Spring Traning invite to be mentally prepared to face Travis Hafner.

Good luck on getting your **** together the next time around, Boone.

oeo
02-20-2007, 09:21 PM
I expect every guy who jumps 3 levels and makes the MLB team without so much as a Spring Traning invite to be mentally prepared to face Travis Hafner.

Again, no one expected that of him (at least I didn't). But, he lost a game for us in Tampa Bay because he couldn't even cover first base. That's simple, and something you should be able to do in little league.

soxfan13
02-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Again, no one expected that of him. But, he lost a game for us in Tampa Bay because he couldn't even cover first base. That's simple, and something you should be able to do in little league.

And again he admitted he ****ed up. I see alot of 10 year veterans forget to cover bases also. Yes he was a rookie when it happened but every pitcher out there has done it.

oeo
02-20-2007, 09:25 PM
And again he admitted he ****ed up. I see alot of 10 year veterans forget to cover bases also. Yes he was a rookie when it happened but every pitcher out there has done it.

And it's magnified when you're a rookie. If he can't do something as simple as covering first base, how do I trust that he will get a big out?

Until he proves his worth, these are just annoying comments.

rdwj
02-20-2007, 09:29 PM

Most people are willing to forget a bad outing. But, making stupid comments before you have a chance to prove yourself isn't going to win anybody over - that's for sure.

HotelWhiteSox
02-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I like the first article. I would be pissed at hazing too. I want my pitchers to bad mad like that. We pretty much have a staff who is afraid to knock someone down. The one guy that did it is gone. He sucked, but I think he was also misused. Coming from some small town to facing Hafner in big spots, can't be easy. I love KW, but I think it's pretty obvious he wasn't ready and he takes the fall for KW not having another lefty in the pen.

That second one is pretty interesting. I think AJ and Ozzie have a similar love-hate relationship. I always love hearing about the behind the scenes stuff, interesting about how they [cooper] had a big thing in June. All these things are normal for a team though, except when the media hears about one they go crazy about it. I think this has to be taken into account whenever judging the team or management, that there's always a great chance of things going on behind the scenes that you have no clue about.

DickAllen72
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM

The guy was what, 20 years old and made the defending World Champion's major league roster.....yeah, he stinks.

He may not be ready yet, but the book on Logan is a long way from being closed.

caulfield12
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
This is a little bit much. You would think the guy was some kind of sexual deviant the way everyone was bagging on the guy. Everyone deserves a second chance. Plenty of athletes have had many more....

QCIASOXFAN
02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
The guy was what, 20 years old and made the defending World Champion's major league roster.....yeah, he stinks.

He may not be ready yet, but the book on Logan is a long way from being closed.
He did stink last year though.:dunno: I never said the book was closed either sir.

maurice
02-21-2007, 09:27 AM
LMAO at the notion that rookies should get LESS leeway than veterans when it comes to mental mistakes. No job works this way.

chaotic8512
02-21-2007, 09:37 AM

This is the feeling I got from the article. He had a big ego, then he realized how far he has to go. And some of you are acting like you've really been there and done that. Please. :rolleyes:

I, for one, hope Boone learns from all of this and makes it right back up to the 'pen. We sure as hell could use another effective LHer. If he learns from his mistakes, no harm done, he's another one of the boys again. If he does act like a primadonna upon his return... well, then there will be a problem.

Madscout
02-21-2007, 09:43 AM
''With the physical stuff he possesses, he can be one of the top lefties in the American League,'' Cooper said. ''Pitching here, you're not trying to win kewpie dolls like at the carnival. You've got to throw the ball to the glove. ''When he understands that, that's when he'll never see another day in the minor leagues.''

Great stuff. No control (probably that ****ty motion of his). When Coop gets him to buy into our philosophy, watch out for this guy.

KRS1
02-21-2007, 10:36 AM
''With the physical stuff he possesses, he can be one of the top lefties in the American League,'' Cooper said. ''Pitching here, you're not trying to win kewpie dolls like at the carnival. You've got to throw the ball to the glove. ''When he understands that, that's when he'll never see another day in the minor leagues.''

Great stuff. No control (probably that ****ty motion of his). When Coop gets him to buy into our philosophy, watch out for this guy.

I will take Coops word on this type of stuff, and when he says a player can be one of the best leftys in league, it's no bs. He can throw strikes, and did very well during ST, but I think everything got to his head just like he said. He seems a bit fragile, and that sucks, because I also believe he has the stuff to be very good. Bottom line, be a man, take whats coming to you with a smile, never take anything for granted, and don't ever whine thinking you're above it all, especially around veterans.

Thome25
02-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Boone just proved how much of a whiny little crybaby he really is. After his mental breakdown against TB and the fact that he's crying about some rookie hazing, he obviously doesn't have it in him to be a big leaguer.

That and the fact that he couldn't get anyone out. I hope KW sends him to the minors for good. Send Sean Tracey with him as well.

They'd make great roomates at the psych ward.

CLR01
02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Boone just proved how much of a whiny little crybaby he really is. After his mental breakdown against TB and the fact that he's crying about some rookie hazing, he obviously doesn't have it in him to be a big leaguer.

That and the fact that he couldn't get anyone out. I hope KW sends him to the minors for good. Send Sean Tracey with him as well.

They'd make great roomates at the psych ward.

Quite a few of our members could join them there.:rolleyes:

twsoxfan5
02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I am sure he will get traded to the Cubs at some point and then talk about how nice it is to play on the right side of town, where the stadium is full everyday.:D:

jenn2080
02-21-2007, 12:08 PM
I am sure he will get traded to the Cubs at some point and then talk about how nice it is to play on the right side of town, where the stadium is full everyday.:D:

And where it is ok to forget to cover bases because the fans will still love him.

Dan Mega
02-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I really don't give a crap what he thinks or says. As long as he throws strikes, fine by me.

California Sox
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I actually believe in Logan. Thought he was pretty impressive in the spring last year. A lot of movement and a super funky delivery. Can imagine why lefties don't like to hit against him. And for everyone who is dissing Logan's control and mental mistakes, those are the hallmarks of Sisco's career so far. I say they are both young, give them a break.

As to Logan's clubhouse issues, I thought the Sun Times interview with McCarthy was interesting in that regard:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/265755,CST-SPT-deluca21.article

That said, McCarthy stressed that the deal was the best thing for him. He hinted at the tough atmosphere that awaits a young player in the Sox clubhouse.

''I love the guys in Chicago, but it was a somewhat older clubhouse. Most of the guys there are married and they have kids and it's tough for guys like [Brian] Anderson and me to relate. We didn't get to hang out with them as much. As much as I like those guys in Chicago, this is much more my age, my speed.''
Might not be the easiest place for a rookie to be. Particularly a guy who had barely played in A ball.

jenn2080
02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
I actually believe in Logan. Thought he was pretty impressive in the spring last year. A lot of movement and a super funky delivery. Can imagine why lefties don't like to hit against him. And for everyone who is dissing Logan's control and mental mistakes, those are the hallmarks of Sisco's career so far. I say they are both young, give them a break.

As to Logan's clubhouse issues, I thought the Sun Times interview with McCarthy was interesting in that regard:

Might not be the easiest place for a rookie to be. Particularly a guy who had barely played in A ball.

That maybe true, but is Brandon looking to play baseball or go clubbing?

Vernam
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM

Might not be the easiest place for a rookie to be. Particularly a guy who had barely played in A ball.I'm a little surprised no one in this thread took AJ to task, though maybe that's because there's no convincing evidence he's a prominent force in hazing the rooks. It's probably Thome.

I think Logan and McCarthy hurt themselves, mainly, by airing this locker room stuff. Their complaints come across as alibis. But when two young pitchers mention it in as many days, it does make me wonder what's going on.

On the other hand, Ozzie himself has a track record in this area, too, with the Tracey situation. Maybe it's just that some people don't function well in an environment where excellence is demanded, but that's how championships are won.

Vernam

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Why the hell did Boone Logan even get interviewed? And why the hell does McCarthy think he's an untouchable? The more I hear this crap, the more and more I respect Guillen, Cooper and KW with their judgements. Isn't the major difference between Logan and Sisco is that, Sisco can throw heat unlike Logan?