PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano, Cubs agree on one-year deal

caulfield12
02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2772827

Soxfanspcu11
02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Sweet!!!

Now we all get to see him breakdown over the course of the season due to crazy amount of innings Baker had him throw!!!

There is going to be A LOT of trash on the field at the urinal this year!:D: :bandance:

WizardsofOzzie
02-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Sweet!!!

Now we all get to see him breakdown over the course of the season due to crazy amount of innings Baker had him throw!!!

There is going to be A LOT of trash on the field at the urinal this year!:D: :bandance:
He's had almost an injury free career if I recall. Why the hell would he break down now?? :dunno:

infohawk
02-20-2007, 07:58 PM
If he stays healthy and has a good year, he's going to get a whopping contract from someone. Huge money. I'm concerned that he alone could do a lot to inflate next year's market for pitching. If so, KW could look even better for stockpiling some young arms.

mshake10
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Sweet!!!

Innings pitched in the last four years:
Zambrano: 861
Garland: 841
Buehrle: 916 1/3

We've already seen Buehrle break down, although I still think it's a fluke and he'll rebound. So if Zambrano is going to breakdown, then Garland is right around the corner. Unless, of course, five less innings a year is the difference between no damage and total breakdown. :cool:

Soxfanspcu11
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
He's had almost an injury free career if I recall. Why the hell would he break down now?? :dunno:

Overuse! I LOVE what Baker did to that rotation.

He WILL break down this year, mark my word.

And when it happens, you heard it here first!

caulfield12
02-20-2007, 08:32 PM

We've already seen Buehrle break down, although I still think it's a fluke and he'll rebound. So if Zambrano is going to breakdown, then Garland is right around the corner. Unless, of course, five less innings a year is the difference between no damage and total breakdown. :cool:

I think the more interesting stats would be pitches per start for Wood, Zambrano, Prior, Garland, Buehrle, etc.

thomas35forever
02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
He's the only decent pitcher the Cubs have. If he gets hurt in any way, shape, or form this year, the Cubs'll be finished.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
He's the only decent pitcher the Cubs have. If he gets hurt in any way, shape, or form this year, the Cubs'll be finished.
I hear that...either way, I don't think he's coming back to the Cubs next year. He'll command a lot of money, but I don't think that will effect Buerhle too much because they're radically different pitchers.

It WOULD be kinda funny to see Zambrano get a big contract at the end of ST by the Cubs and then just break down.

mshake10
02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
I think the more interesting stats would be pitches per start for Wood, Zambrano, Prior, Garland, Buehrle, etc.
In the last four years:
Zambrano: 14072 / 129 = 109
Garland *: 13115 / 129 = 101
Buehrle: 13784 / 135 = 102

*Garland had two relief appearences (131 G, 129 GS), probably because of the All Star break, so his average is slightly lower than listed.

So about 7 and 8 more pitches on average. There's no doubt that Zambrano had to throw more pitches, most of which is his fault since he can't find the strike zone most of the time.

For 2003:
Wood: 3545 / 32 = 110
Prior: 3403 / 30 = 113

Over a full season, those extra 10 pitches do add up.

chisoxmike
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
In the last four years:

*Garland had two relief appearences (131 G, 129 GS), so his average is slightly lower than listed.

So about 7 and 8 more pitches on average. There's no doubt that Zambrano had to throw more pitches, most of which is his fault since he can't find the strike zone most of the time.

Hey look! Everyone's favorite Cubs troll is back.:bandance:

mshake10
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
And that's on-topic how? And it's funny how you call me a troll after a post where I say my top pitcher can't find the strike zone most of the time.

chisoxmike
02-20-2007, 09:30 PM
And that's on-topic how? And it's funny how you call me a troll after a post where I say my top pitcher can't find the strike zone most of the time.

At least you're admitting it today. The past few days when you were being called out on it by a few others, you bolted the threads.

mshake10
02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah, I knew I forgot something. :D:

WizardsofOzzie
02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
At least you're admitting it today. The past few days when you were being called out on it by a few others, you bolted the threads.
Never sticks around to defend his points when he's called out. I know i've made good arguements at least twice and little mshake10 runs home to mommy :whiner: :dtroll:

WizardsofOzzie
02-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Took you long enough to admit you're a Cubbie fan. Oh and you are a troll because you stir the pot and then bolt instead of actually offering some intelligent to say.

AuroraSoxFan
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM

So anyone who has not been injury plagued for the last 4 years like your team's dynamic duo of prior and wood is bound to fall on their face?? Wow that makes a lot of sense. But I have heard stuff way dumber than that from your fans so I am definitely not surprised. Anyway thanks for comin' out and congrats on being the 1st poster ever on my ignore list.

ILuvThatDuck
02-21-2007, 09:37 AM

So did D. Lee until last year. Things happen.:wink:

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 09:47 AM
So did D. Lee until last year. Things happen.:wink:
Thats a bit different considering that was a fluke accident, not an injury because of overuse but you are right, things do happen. I just don't see Zambrano breaking down this year. He's proven that he's a workhorse and i think he will continue to be. I personally look forward to the Sox taking his crazy ass deep :D:

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 09:48 AM
So anyone who has not been injury plagued for the last 4 years like your team's dynamic duo of prior and wood is bound to fall on their face?? Wow that makes a lot of sense. But I have heard stuff way dumber than that from your fans so I am definitely not surprised. Anyway thanks for comin' out and congrats on being the 1st poster ever on my ignore list.

I'm not even going to bother. It's only a matter of time before he's banned for trolling

Frater Perdurabo
02-21-2007, 10:17 AM
In the last four years:

*Garland had two relief appearences (131 G, 129 GS), probably because of the All Star break, so his average is slightly lower than listed.

For 2003:
Wood: 3545 / 32 = 110
Prior: 3403 / 30 = 113

Over a full season, those extra 10 pitches do add up.

Thanks for posting these stats. I don't get hung up on pitch counts in individual games, but the more efficient a pitcher can be by generating outs through ground balls, GIDPs and pop outs, the more innings he can pitch.

minutia
02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the Cubs rotation like? As far as I know the only starters they have are Zambrano, Lilly and Prior. They sent Wood to the bullpen, I thought, but I could be wrong there. I am not flubsessesd but meerly curious. I work with a lot of Cubs fans and I like to stay in the know whenever I can.

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the Cubs rotation like? As far as I know the only starters they have are Zambrano, Lilly and Prior. They sent Wood to the bullpen, I thought, but I could be wrong there. I am not flubsessesd but meerly curious. I work with a lot of Cubs fans and I like to stay in the know whenever I can.
Well those are really the only 3 definite starters IMO. The other people in competition for the #4 and #5 are Rich Hill, Jason Marquis, Wade Miller, and Sean Marshall. Stellar cast No? :D:

White Sox Randy
02-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Anyone who thinks that flubs have a crappy rotation is fooling themselves.

The Sox could get swept in a series by Zambrano, Lilly and Hill. The Sox aren't great against lefties and Hill might have the bset season of all of them this year. And, if if if Prior returns to form - they'll be tough.

WizardsofOzzie
02-21-2007, 01:38 PM

The Sox could get swept in a series by Zambrano, Lilly and Hill. The Sox aren't great against lefties and Hill might have the bset season of all of them this year. And, if if if Prior returns to form - they'll be tough.
I guess 90% of this board is fooling themselves then. When your #2 is Ted Lilly I'm not impressed

minutia
02-21-2007, 01:45 PM

I think "if" is a big factor where Prior is concerned. I have always thought he is a good pitcher but he has spent so much time on the DL that I just wonder who effective he is anymore. I think Zambrano is the best one on this list,when he is not getting in his own way. He is a bit of a head case.
The Cubs though definatley have the advantage of being in one of the weekest divisions in the NL so their fans should expect nothing less than a division win however I don't think the Sox will be swept by to many teams this year and certainly not any in the NL regardless of how they perform against lefties.

palehozenychicty
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM

:rolleyes: Rrright.

spiffie
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Well those are really the only 3 definite starters IMO. The other people in competition for the #4 and #5 are Rich Hill, Jason Marquis, Wade Miller, and Sean Marshall. Stellar cast No? :D:
While I will gladly laugh at the rest of that cast, don't sleep on Rich Hill. He is basically their version of Brandon McCarthy, and his second half of 2006 could be a sign of very good things to come. In his last 11 starts of the year he put up a 6-3 record with a 2.58 ERA. He has a ton of talent, and could very possibly be the wild card that determines if all the Cubs spending ends up meaning anything this season. If he can give them a full season of what they think he can do, suddenly they have a pitching staff that can win that mediocre division.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2007, 03:34 PM
If Ted Lilly is your number two guy, you're in trouble. But again, IF Mark Prior returns to form, then yea, they could be good. But IF I could throw 90+ I'd be a major league pitcher. When he was healthy last year, he was getting rocked. I'm not so sure he has it anymore or he might be damaged beyond repair. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a Cub fan and he was saying "Finally! We have a lot of lefties!" It doesn't matter if they're not good!!!

IndianWhiteSox
02-22-2007, 11:53 AM
This is only delaying the inevitable for Zambozo to leave the Cubs.