PDA

View Full Version : Suite-removal trend in sports

itsnotrequired
02-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Interesting article from the WSJ. The Sox tidbit:

The Chicago White Sox, one season removed from a World Series title, recently gutted 10 of their 103 suites to build a new press box.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117167181660611755-rAkoz1_0yt1gniQ1PnZyBzzw0sw_20070223.html?mod=blog s

A render is included (which I don't remember seeing before):

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/images/PT-AE707_Lux_Se_20070216155713.jpg

skobabe8
02-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Interesting article from the WSJ. The Sox tidbit:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117167181660611755-rAkoz1_0yt1gniQ1PnZyBzzw0sw_20070223.html?mod=blog s

A render is included (which I don't remember seeing before):

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/images/PT-AE707_Lux_Se_20070216155713.jpg

Great find. I thought they would get alot more creative with this area. This is the first rendering I've ever seen and im not too impressed unfortunately.

Steelrod
02-20-2007, 11:20 AM
That is a rendering of the new press box seats, like the Scout seats.
The press box will be down one of the lines.

skottyj242
02-20-2007, 11:22 AM
For some reason the article won't come up for me but did they mention that while gutting ten boxes to make a new press box they converted the old press box into a restaurant?

itsnotrequired
02-20-2007, 11:32 AM
For some reason the article won't come up for me but did they mention that while gutting ten boxes to make a new press box they converted the old press box into a restaurant?

Yep. i should have looked closer at whitesox.com.:redface:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ticketing/premium_seating.jsp?loc=new_ps_club

Jerko
02-20-2007, 11:33 AM
It's in this thread too, barely.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83718&highlight=press+box+seats

I just hope my "contacts" in the Stadium Club and Scout seat area don't get reassigned to the pressbox lounge.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2007, 11:41 AM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83718&highlight=press+box+seats

I just hope my "contacts" in the Stadium Club and Scout seat area don't get reassigned to the pressbox lounge.

I knew it had been mentioned here before but I hadn't seen a rendering.

skobabe8
02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
So just to clarify, that rendering from the WSJ is of the new restaurant where the press box USED to be. Since the new press box is supposed to be on the 1b side. Correct??

Steelrod
02-20-2007, 12:24 PM
So just to clarify, that rendering from the WSJ is of the new restaurant where the press box USED to be. Since the new press box is supposed to be on the 1b side. Correct??
It's the seating area. I have no idea where the restaurant is.

skobabe8
02-20-2007, 12:36 PM

I've never seen those renderings, either. What is wrong with me?? :D:

So like I assumed, the restaurant is behind the seats shown in the picture. I just dont think the area looks that great. More like a business office. Not that I'll ever see the inside of it anyway.

EDIT: And I guess it's not really a restaurant. More like a bar with full buffet.

Hitmen77
02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken, some of the skyboxes at the Cell have never been occupied since the park was built. You can see from the field that some of them don't even have drywall installed. So it makes sense for the Sox to start using some of those areas for premium seating, restaurants, etc.

Before someone replies, I know the Sox are not putting in the new seating area directly into a once-vacant spot. But, I think the net effect is the same once the press box is relocated.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2007, 12:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, some of the skyboxes at the Cell have never been occupied since the park was built. You can see from the field that some of them don't even have drywall installed. So it makes sense for the Sox to start using some of those areas for premium seating, restaurants, etc.

Before someone replies, I know the Sox are not putting in the new seating area directly into a once-vacant spot. But, I think the net effect is the same once the press box is relocated.

After the conversion, the Sox will still have 93 boxes. Even they admit that is still too many. More changes ahead in the 2007-2008 offseason?

skottyj242
02-20-2007, 01:03 PM

I'm guessing that the skyboxes were full during the playoffs and World Series.

Steelrod
02-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Used as auxilerary pressboxes.

skottyj242
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Used as auxilerary pressboxes.

But they were still used.

skobabe8
02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
But they were still used.

Yeah, just minus the revenue.

Hitmen77
02-20-2007, 03:42 PM

They don't even have drywall in them. So - no, they weren't sold during the '05 postseason.

Red Barchetta
02-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Yes. They moved the press box down the 1B line and remodeled the old pressbox, directly behind home plate and below the TV broadcast team. into a new restaurant tied into the Scout Seats package.

I think the article is somewhat misleading as the gutting of the suites is to make room for the displaced press box.

roylestillman
02-20-2007, 04:37 PM
They don't even have drywall in them. So - no, they weren't sold during the '05 postseason.

Through last year on the third base side those makeshift press boxes from the 2005 post-season were still in place. Its odd that they just don't finish them out for party suites.

Steelrod
02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes. They moved the press box down the 1B line and remodeled the old pressbox, directly behind home plate and below the TV broadcast team. into a new restaurant tied into the Scout Seats package.

I think the article is somewhat misleading as the gutting of the suites is to make room for the displaced press box.
Not correct. The press box area is now premium seating. Don't know if the restaurant is the same for Scout and Press seats or do press seating have it's own restaurant.

skobabe8
02-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Not correct. The press box area is now premium seating. Don't know if the restaurant is the same for Scout and Press seats or do press seating have it's own restaurant.

I dont think the newly renovated area has anything to do with the scout seats. They are different premium seating areas with different prices/amenities.

santo=dorf
02-20-2007, 06:20 PM
After the conversion, the Sox will still have 93 boxes. Even they admit that is still too many. More changes ahead in the 2007-2008 offseason?
Time to change the sig, and beat a dead horse. :redneck

Vernam
02-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I think the article is somewhat misleading as the gutting of the suites is to make room for the displaced press box.It's a Wall Street Journal conspiracy to make the Sox look bad.

Only game I saw from a Diamond Suite (courtesy of Lucent, now defunct -- coincidence?) was a 6-0 loss to Detroit in 2002. Danny Wright took a liner off his forehead, not that he needed any such excuse. Just our luck that the game clocked in at barely two hours, when we could've eaten and drunk MUCH more. Free food aside, I'd rather sit with my fellow plebs.

Come to think of it, the premium seating and all-you-can-eat deal has a Roman vibe, doesn't it? All they need is a vomitorium. :puking:

Vernam

Red Barchetta
02-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I dont think the newly renovated area has anything to do with the scout seats. They are different premium seating areas with different prices/amenities.

I thought the Scout Seat package came with a dinner deal, etc. Is that the same restaurant or is the Scout Seat Restaurant under/behind the seats in the lower concourse.

So, does the new restaurant that replaced the press box offer single game seats/dinners or is that for season ticket packages?

skobabe8
02-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought the Scout Seat package came with a dinner deal, etc. Is that the same restaurant or is the Scout Seat Restaurant under/behind the seats in the lower concourse.

So, does the new restaurant that replaced the press box offer single game seats/dinners or is that for season ticket packages?

Both scout seats and home plate club come with dinner deal. Each has its own restaurant/bar area. The scout seat restaurant is right behind the scout seats and the home plate club restaurant is where the old pressbox used to be.

I do not believe the home plate club offers single game tickets. Not yet anyhow.

Hitmen77
02-21-2007, 09:10 AM

That would seem logical to me. While there hasn't been enough demand for skyboxes, the demand is still out there for premium seating. Why wouldn't the Sox make changes that would let them sell more $250/seat tickets.

I'm pretty sure I would never pay that much for a seat (unless it was a World Series game), but if it helps the team increase revenue and payroll, then I'm all for it.

ewokpelts
02-21-2007, 09:55 AM

I think the article is somewhat misleading as the gutting of the suites is to make room for the displaced press box.BUT, the pressbox was moved to make more money, a la gutting boxes for a super club...so what they said was true, from a certain point of view

ewokpelts
02-21-2007, 09:57 AM
That would seem logical to me. While there hasn't been enough demand for skyboxes, the demand is still out there for premium seating. Why wouldn't the Sox make changes that would let them sell more $250/seat tickets.

I'm pretty sure I would never pay that much for a seat (unless it was a World Series game), but if it helps the team increase revenue and payroll, then I'm all for it.exactamundo......unless they get more day of game rentals, those boxes can make more money as lounges

ewokpelts
02-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Time to change the sig, and beat a dead horse. :redneck
that could be an easy 1500 new seats...i'm all for it....and the best part? more spaces for people to hide under during a rain delay! noticed how the fundamentals detractors shut up after the first rains of the season....it made the lower concourse less crowded

Jason82807
02-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I am a little surprised that seats in this new club will cost more than Scout seats, but then again when the scout seats were introduced, I thought they were too pricey, now they seem like a bargain. Anyways, it seems like a good use of space. I considered buying a Stadium Club membership, but went with these instead. BTW if anyone could give some feedback as to the overall experience of Stadium Club or Scout seats, I'd appreciate it (e.g. view, food, atmosphere).

ewokpelts
02-26-2007, 02:39 AM
I am a little surprised that seats in this new club will cost more than Scout seats, but then again when the scout seats were introduced, I thought they were too pricey, now they seem like a bargain. Anyways, it seems like a good use of space. I considered buying a Stadium Club membership, but went with these instead. BTW if anyone could give some feedback as to the overall experience of Stadium Club or Scout seats, I'd appreciate it (e.g. view, food, atmosphere).both the scout seats and HPC cost the same....$250 a game

ComiskeyBrewer
02-26-2007, 08:08 AM
I think this is a great move. Brewers did the same thing last year. Converted it into a Party area(Mark A's idea). Did a little more this year and created a "Club on the Club". Use up the empty space, make it more fun i say.

Steelrod
02-26-2007, 08:15 AM
both the scout seats and HPC cost the same....$250 a game
I think the Scout seats are $175-200

Jason82807
02-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I think the Scout seats are $175-200
Yeah, the scout seats in the front row are $175 each, other rows are $175-$210. It all depends on the length of the contract.

ewokpelts
02-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, the scout seats in the front row are $175 each, other rows are $175-$210. It all depends on the length of the contract.i dont know what you've been smoking, but they've always been $250, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST ROW.

Jason82807
02-26-2007, 10:41 AM
i dont know what you've been smoking, but they've always been $250, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST ROW.

Not true. There are 2 benefits to signing a longer contract. One is a lower annual increase in price. The other is better seats. Therefore, seatholders in the first row have locked in a lower price by signing a long contract.

santo=dorf
02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Maybe I misread the old Cubune article, but wasn't there an idea to have a restaurant on the first base side concourse with a patio area that would over lap some of the current deep rows? :?: