PDA

View Full Version : Great feature column, PHG

Frater Perdurabo
02-20-2007, 06:25 AM
George, thanks for putting so eloquently what we Sox fans feel about the incompetent media.

If anything, though, you were too kind.

The Tribune not only exhibits first class incompetence and utter mediocrity, but given its conflict of interest in owning the Cubs, reasonable people could conclude the Tribune is engaging in a deliberate smear campaign designed to harm the White Sox franchise. If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck and acts like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. Tribune's protestations of journalistic integrity, of moats and impregnable walls separating editorial operations from managment considerations, simply don't pass the smell test.
:angry:

Whitesox029
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree 100%. Great article. You've summed up the frustration with the Tribune that is the consensus among the vast majority of WSIers (and probably all Sox fans) and put it neatly on our home page. I'm glad this is the first thing any visitors to the site will see.

areilly
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree 100%. Great article. You've summed up the frustration with the Tribune that is the consensus among the vast majority of WSIers (and probably all Sox fans) and put it neatly on our home page. I'm glad this is the first thing any visitors to the site will see.

It had me until this part:

And what about their bottom of the flap headline on page 1? "Extensions Unlikely for 3 Sox Standouts", sub-headline "Free agency best for Buehrle, Dye, Iguchi and club, GM says"
Unlikely Extensions? What exactly did Williams say about extensions? He kept the door open! Read it for yourself:
"It doesn't preclude us from bringing any or all of them back. But the smartest thing to do for both player and club is to wait until the end of the season."

I thought if the contract was allowed to run out, it wasn't an "extension" per se but a new contract entirely.

If KW says the smartest thing to do is wait until after the season, I would take that to mean he would be more inclined (as in likely) to not extend those players' current contracts but still make an after-the-fact attempt to keep them on the South Side. Paulie, for example, wasn't given an extension but was still resigned all the same.

Just my two cents. I admit I am not the most knowledgable on MLB contracts and terminology and how they are thrown around in the press.

ondafarm
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
It had me until this part:

I thought if the contract was allowed to run out, it wasn't an "extension" per se but a new contract entirely.

If KW says the smartest thing to do is wait until after the season, I would take that to mean he would be more inclined (as in likely) to not extend those players' current contracts but still make an after-the-fact attempt to keep them on the South Side. Paulie, for example, wasn't given an extension but was still resigned all the same.

Just my two cents. I admit I am not the most knowledgable on MLB contracts and terminology and how they are thrown around in the press.

After the end of the season, there is still a period when the player has to file for free-agency and a period where the team has exclusive negotiating rights. Contrcats signed during those periods are typically still called extensions.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2007, 09:22 AM
After the end of the season, there is still a period when the player has to file for free-agency and a period where the team has exclusive negotiating rights. Contrcats signed during those periods are typically still called extensions.

Thank you. I'm glad areilly noted how he is confused because it wonderfully illustrates the point of the article.

It's misleading. It's confusing. It's poorly written and poorly presented. It's the antithesis of what good journalism is supposed aspire to.Areilly is confused because McGrath's editor uses the term EXTENSIONS in the headline to the article, but Gonzales, the beat reporter, uses the term CONTRACTS to justify what makes Dye, Iguchi, and Buehrle "unlikely" to come back regardless of whether it's called an extension or a contract!

Quoting Gonzales: "But Williams is inclined to stick with shorter contracts, particularly with pitchers."Clear as mud, isn't it, areilly? Don't blame me. I'm just the messenger.

FWIW, whether the Sox sign these three now or after the season (like they did Konerko) the Sox have PLENTY of opportunity for doing a deal that makes sense for both sides. Now that's the sort of paraphrase you'll never hear drop from the mouth of Gonzales, van Dyck, or any of the other incompetent boobs employed by Dan McGrath.

oeo
02-24-2007, 09:48 AM
FWIW, whether the Sox sign these three now or after the season (like they did Konerko) the Sox have PLENTY of opportunity for doing a deal that makes sense for both sides. Now that's the sort of paraphrase you'll never hear drop from the mouth of Gonzales, van Dyck, or any of the other incompetent boobs employed by Dan McGrath.

I saw Gonzalez for the first time on Chicago Tribune Live earlier this week. This guy sounds like a robot (he seriously talks like it), programmed by the Tribune.