PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset interview.

JermaineDye05
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Interesting interview I liked that he had a little bit of swagger in him, not too much though he didn't sound arrogant but he definately sounded confident. I also liked when he stated that no matter where the sox put him he's going to do his best, and he doesn't appear like the type of player who pays too much attention to the media he just goes out there and does his job.

Link (http://www.670thescore.com/pages/154296.php?contentType=34&contentId=1814)

Corlose 15
02-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Baum and Olken make it seem like Sox fans are ready to string him and Danks up. It seems to me that most intelligent Sox fans realize that talent that both Massett and Danks have.:rolleyes:

rdivaldi
02-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Good interview, I love how they were busting his chops about his weight. Heck I could look at his picture and see that there was no way in the world that he weighs 195 lbs.

UserNameBlank
02-19-2007, 11:31 PM
All that fake laughter on both sides was painful. Still, Masset sounds like he has tons of confidence and doesn't expect to fail. Confidence + mid to upper 90's fastball = success in the pen as long as he can find the zone.

All these battles on the pitching staff are going to make for an exciting ST. I can't wait until they start televising games.

rdivaldi
02-19-2007, 11:38 PM
All these battles on the pitching staff are going to make for an exciting ST. I can't wait until they start televising games.

For sure I'll be watching as much ST as possible. The first televised game popped on my TiVo wish list just yesterday. Don't know if it will be available as it is a Rockies broadcast but it's nice to see baseball finally about to start.

UserNameBlank
02-19-2007, 11:45 PM
For sure I'll be watching as much ST as possible. The first televised game popped on my TiVo wish list just yesterday. Don't know if it will be available as it is a Rockies broadcast but it's nice to see baseball finally about to start.

It's kind of disappointing that it'sa all still so far away. I checked the CSN schedule and really all they do is show replays of Sportsrise and Sportsnite all day long with the occaisional informercial or odd sporting event that no one watches in between. It would be nice if they showed some more from ST (from both Chi teams to be fair) for the fans like us that are so addicted.

SoxxoS
02-19-2007, 11:58 PM
It's kind of disappointing that it'sa all still so far away. I checked the CSN schedule and really all they do is show replays of Sportsrise and Sportsnite all day long with the occaisional informercial or odd sporting event that no one watches in between. It would be nice if they showed some more from ST (from both Chi teams to be fair) for the fans like us that are so addicted.

Be Patiient, danielson. All will come soon.

IndianWhiteSox
02-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Question: Are you ready for some lip from Guillen about losing weight?

Masset: Hell no! You haven't seen my six-pack lately, have you?

:kneeslap: :kneeslap:

I love the fact that he seems to be fit to pitch in this city, I love this mentality he has. This was really a very good interview, he seems to have a head on his shoulders.

Jurr
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM
:kneeslap: :kneeslap:

I love the fact that he seems to be fit to pitch in this city, I love this mentality he has. This was really a very good interview, he seems to have a head on his shoulders.
Which is exact opposite of what I got out of the Gavin Floyd interview on whitesox.com. Has anyone else seen that video? Geez. It looks like the kid is afraid to talk to the interviewer, he stumbles over his words, and he gives off no air of confidence/swagger.

kninchicago
02-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Which is exact opposite of what I got out of the Gavin Floyd interview on whitesox.com. Has anyone else seen that video? Geez. It looks like the kid is afraid to talk to the interviewer, he stumbles over his words, and he gives off no air of confidence/swagger.

You aren't the only one who thought that upon seeing the video. He seems pretty nervous....just the quality I want in a player.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for now though, and let his pitching do the talking in AZ.

Iwritecode
02-20-2007, 10:14 AM
You aren't the only one who thought that upon seeing the video. He seems pretty nervous....just the quality I want in a player.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for now though, and let his pitching do the talking in AZ.

FWIW, I'd probably be the same way. I'm sure it's a little different talking a reporter with a camera in your face compared to standing on a mound throwing to a catcher.

When a pitcher is on the mound, it's real easy to forget how many people are watching.

Flight #24
02-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Interesting interview I liked that he had a little bit of swagger in him, not too much though he didn't sound arrogant but he definately sounded confident. I also liked when he stated that no matter where the sox put him he's going to do his best, and he doesn't appear like the type of player who pays too much attention to the media he just goes out there and does his job.

Link (http://www.670thescore.com/pages/154296.php?contentType=34&contentId=1814)

Man - reading that article makes me wonder if KW thought that even if Floyd flopped, Masset might be able to fill last year's McCarthy role as a reliever and emergency starter. I like the sound of "high 90s with movement to both sides of the plate". I like that a whole lot.

Add in Danks and the A-ball guy and I can see why KW would say he was blown away. People think the key to that deal was KW's belief in Floyd, but it might end up being Masset.

Actually, this doesn't scare me much. I like the thought that Floyd's problem is confidence in his stuff rather than that he just doesn't have the control/FB to succeed. Coop's success seems to be with guys who have the raw talent but not the mental approach. If Floyd's issue is confidence, I'm confident Coop can get him focusing on hitting the glove and letting things go from there.

caulfield12
02-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Man - reading that article makes me wonder if KW thought that even if Floyd flopped, Masset might be able to fill last year's McCarthy role as a reliever and emergency starter. I like the sound of "high 90s with movement to both sides of the plate". I like that a whole lot.

Add in Danks and the A-ball guy and I can see why KW would say he was blown away. People think the key to that deal was KW's belief in Floyd, but it might end up being Masset.

Actually, this doesn't scare me much. I like the thought that Floyd's problem is confidence in his stuff rather than that he just doesn't have the control/FB to succeed. Coop's success seems to be with guys who have the raw talent but not the mental approach. If Floyd's issue is confidence, I'm confident Coop can get him focusing on hitting the glove and letting things go from there.

Assuming he knew (at the time) that he was going to get back pitchers from the Astros or Rangers to provide insurance...of course, after the Garcia trade, Floyd was SUPPOSED to be considered co-#5 with McCarthy coming into the season, at least before the second move.

rdivaldi
02-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Even if Floyd flops, there's another pitcher involved in that trade that is throwing harder than ever and impressing everyone in camp right now.

tick53
02-20-2007, 12:49 PM
It was a good interview. The boys did go a little overboard on the word "swagger", but that's OK.

oeo
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM

He doesn't have to 'give off' confidence; as long as he has it, who cares? Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable talking to an interviewer. Just because he plays baseball doesn't mean he has to be comfortable doing that sort of thing; I know I wouldn't. Some people are better at it than others. There are some guys like Masset, and then guys that are not comfortable at all, like Floyd. Masset is obviously better than Floyd at talking to the media, but I wouldn't hold that against Floyd.