PDA

View Full Version : Rob Neyer, the boob

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2001, 08:33 PM
I never had much respect for Rob Neyer's stathead-driven analysis, but this pile of crap he wrote for ESPN Classic reveals what I've always suspected: that the man is incapable of making a cogent argument, especially when stripped of his security blanket of numbers. This is first-rate garbage. I could go on for hours poking holes in this guy's assertions.

I'm Rob Neyer, the Boob (http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0730/1232950.html)

I'll only debunk the most egregious of his mistakes because it simply isn't worth any more effort.

1. Jackson and Cicotte's "confessions" were missing for years. Anyone who would try to use them as evidence would have it tossed out as hearsay. Of course Neyer convicts both of them on this very evidence. That's why we have laws, Rob. To protect the rest of us from numbskulls like you.

2. The notion that the "confessions" of a leftfielder and a pitcher who only pitched 3 games controlled the outcome of all eight is ludicrous on its face. Neyer even suggests that the triples Cincinnati hit were played into triples by Jackson's poor fielding. I had no idea a leftfielder was so valuable to a team.

3. Neyer calls Jackson's homerun and 2-rbi double in Game 5 "meaningless" because the score was already 10-1. Yes of course, in Neyer's world Jackson should have circled the bases, picked up his bat and kept hitting doubles and homeruns until the score was 11-10. What else was he suppose to do?!!!

(As an aside, don't you just love when statheads like Neyer use qualitative terms to pass judgment on a player's performance? "Meaningless" 2-rbi double? What, couldn't Neyer find some esoteric stat to make his point, or is he admitting statistics will only take his goofy argument so far?).

I could go on and on. The bottom line is Rob Neyer needs to stick with statistics where morons of equal intellect can appreciate his genius.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 08:40 PM
Rob Neyer, the boob
I don't think Kermit is going to like you calling "the stats god" a boob PHG!

I never had much respect for Rob Neyer's stathead-driven analysis, but this pile of crap he wrote for ESPN Classic reveals what I've always suspected: that the man is incapable of making a cogent argument, especially when stripped of his security blanket of numbers.
Doesn't that sound like Kermit?

Anyway I agree 100% I read that article early this morning and I had to stop reading it because it was wrong on so many levels that I just couldn't take it anymore. I don't know that much about the blacksox I have the movie "Eight Men Out" but if I recall didn't Shoeless sign the with an "X" because he couldn't write? That may be 100% wrong I can't remember. I'm sure someone knows.

IA_soxfan
07-31-2001, 08:40 PM
Neyer thinks to himself: "crap, i can't come up with a statistic to prove him wrong"
Neyer sez to PHG: "oh yeah, well you're a poopy face!"