PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod admits friendship with Jeter going south; World stops turning

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
On the first day of his fourth season with the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy), Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5275) finally acknowledged his relationship with Derek Jeter (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5406) has cooled.

Jeter, the Yankees' captain, has distanced himself since a 2001 Esquire article in which A-Rod said "Jeter's been blessed with great talent around him" and "he's never had to lead."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2771141&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Oh lord what are we going to do!!! :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
02-19-2007, 01:48 PM
They were friends?

FedEx227
02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
That's it, trade him to the White Sox.

Vernam
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Sleepovers five nights a week?! :?:

Vernam

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Vernam
I was gonna make a joke about that but i had a feeling it would give this thread a short life

Vernam
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I was gonna make a joke about that but i had a feeling it would give this thread a short lifeI honestly wasn't thinking of that angle, as a dad whose kids bug the **** out of him to have sleepovers. I just think Alex and Derek need a bit of parental supervision. :wink:

Also, I'm still pissed that my innocent little "All eyes on Pods's groin" thread got roadhoused because someone used it to start gay-baiting. :redface:

Vernam

crazyozzie02
02-19-2007, 02:25 PM
THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!! GATHER UP ALL YOUR LOVED ONES AND PRAY DAMNIT PRAY!!!

soxfanatlanta
02-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Ugh...

Can the season please start, already? I feel like I'm watching an episode of "The OC", without the unintentional comedy and bad acting.

crazyozzie02
02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Ugh...

Can the season please start, already? I feel like I'm watching an episode of "The OC", without the unintentional comedy and bad acting.

Off the subject, but thank God that that show is ending on Thursday.

spiffie
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Off the subject, but thank God that that show is ending on Thursday.
Must have been terrible having people tie you up and prop open your eyelids, forcing you to watch a show you hated.

Whitesox029
02-19-2007, 03:25 PM
That's it, trade him to the White Sox.

I'm not sure whom you meant, but I'd rather have Jeter, to be honest. But then, he will probably never leave New York.

thomas35forever
02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
They were friends?
As a matter of fact, they were best friends. On an episode of the short-lived "Sports Illustrated for Kids Show" on CBS when A-Rod was with the Mariners, he and Jeter were shown as that way and they talked about it too. In case you're wondering, this is from 1997.

Flight #24
02-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Vernam
I can see the Trib running with that if it were guys on the Sox:

ARod admits relationship with Jeter strained

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I can see the Trib running with that if it were guys on the Sox:

ARod admits relationship with Jeter strained
:roflmao: :roflmao:

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Jeter is the captain of that team, A-Rod is an overpaid pretty boy who has no clue how to lead. If they're not getting along, that's fine, the Oakland A's from the 1970s would frequently get into fist fights. But if I'm Cashman and I have to keep one of them, bye bye A-Rod.

FedEx227
02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure whom you meant, but I'd rather have Jeter, to be honest. But then, he will probably never leave New York.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Career Averages

Player A
.317/.388/.463 18 HR, 83 RBI, 24 SB

Player B
.305/.386/.573, 43 HR, 125 RBI, 22 SB

I'll take the guy with the "off" year, Player B.

And to deal with the inevitable 'Jeter steps it up in the playoffs' crap.

Player A Playoff Averages
.314/.384/.479

Player B Playoff Averages
.280/.362/.485

Jeter is the captain of that team, A-Rod is an overpaid pretty boy who has no clue how to lead. If they're not getting along, that's fine, the Oakland A's from the 1970s would frequently get into fist fights. But if I'm Cashman and I have to keep one of them, bye bye A-Rod.

The same captain who gave A-Rod a verbal bashing after they collided in the infield. Oh you must mean the same captain that would not give up his position to the 2-time Gold Glove champion A-Rod who is regarded by just about every circle as being the far superior option at SS. Oh I'm sorry, Jeter is "CLUTCH" and jumps when he throws...plus he doesn't make errors or go for tough balls, but he doesn't make errors. Yes, that team captain.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that.

Career Averages

Player A
.317/.388/.463 18 HR, 83 RBI, 24 SB

Player B
.305/.386/.573, 43 HR, 125 RBI, 22 SB

I'll take the guy with the "off" year, Player B.

And to deal with the inevitable 'Jeter steps it up in the playoffs' crap.

Player A Playoff Averages
.314/.384/.479

Player B Playoff Averages
.280/.362/.485

The same captain who gave A-Rod a verbal bashing after they collided in the infield. Oh you must mean the same captain that would not give up his position to the 2-time Gold Glove champion A-Rod who is regarded by just about every circle as being the far superior option at SS. Oh I'm sorry, Jeter is "CLUTCH" and jumps when he throws...plus he doesn't make errors or go for tough balls, but he doesn't make errors. Yes, that team captain.
Jeter tore A-Rod apart because that was Jeter's ball, he clearly called for it and A-Rod was not playing up to par. Jeter goes for tough balls, this is a guy who nearly killed himself (a la Uribe) in a regular season game. Name me a better shortstop in the game. Who? Tejada? No. Eckstein? No. Juan Uribe?

JB98
02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Rodriguez has always dreamed of playing for the Cubs. It's only a matter of time before they acquire him.

FedEx227
02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Jeter tore A-Rod apart because that was Jeter's ball, he clearly called for it and A-Rod was not playing up to par. Jeter goes for tough balls, this is a guy who nearly killed himself (a la Uribe) in a regular season game. Name me a better shortstop in the game. Who? Tejada? No. Eckstein? No. Juan Uribe?

Oh god. Peter Gammons is that you?

So because Jeter ran an extra 15 feet, one time, three years ago... he goes for tough balls? Give me a break.

Look no further then Zone Rating, which is a REALLY simple stat, basically how many balls in the mentioned players "zone" does the fielder make a play on.

So every single shortstop is put on a level playing field, a level "zone" if you will. How does Jeter rank?

20/24 regular MLB shortstops. Only guys who fielded less balls hit into the SS area: Yuniesky Betancourt, Angel Berroa, Felipe Lopez, Hanley Ramirez (sounds like a list of gold-glovers to me).

And there are plenty of better SS in the league who get by with more then "grit" "leadership" and "clutch". Their names are Michael Young, Jose Reyes, Carlos Guillen, Bill Hall, Miguel Tejada, Jimmy Rollins and Rafeal Furcal.

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 06:07 PM
:tealtutor:

santo=dorf
02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Isn't it a little unfair to compare shortstops with completely different pitching staffs?
SS whose teammates are strikeout or flyball pitchers get fewer opportunities than those who play behind a Brandon Webb or Chein Mein Wang.

Zone rating isn't that good of stat either.

FedEx227
02-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Isn't it a little unfair to compare shortstops with completely different pitching staffs?
SS whose teammates are strikeout or flyball pitchers get fewer opportunities than those who play behind a Brandon Webb or Chein Mein Wang.

Zone rating isn't that good of stat either.

Only it's percentage based...

HotelWhiteSox
02-19-2007, 09:33 PM
I have seen it and I still cant believe it. That sleep over quote cant be real, someone must have edited it in

MincHiaPettito
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Name me a better shortstop in the game.

On the same team buddy!

santo=dorf
02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Only it's percentage based...
brainfart. I was thinking of range factor.

Although it's a better stat than range factor, I still won't put much stock in it because of how much control the pitcher has with the ball being put into play.

Irishsox1
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
All I know is that the Yankees are screwed up with this whole Jeter/A-Rod who's the leader but who's the highest paid player crap and I'm loving it!

Saying that I'd love for the Sox to be "screwed up" and make the playoffs every year since 1995.

FedEx227
02-19-2007, 10:07 PM
brainfart. I was thinking of range factor.

Although it's a better stat than range factor, I still won't put much stock in it because of how much control the pitcher has with the ball being put into play.

Yeah, range factor is garbage.

I do think Zone Rating is a good gage though of how effective a player is at getting to "tough" balls, which is what I was trying to defend. Joe Crede always excels in Zone Rating, while Eric Chavez suffers. Chavez has fewer errors and likewise gets gold gloves which is pretty sad because Crede puts much more effort into his position and his errors are then increased because he takes more risks, dives, etc.

Fenway
02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I can't wait to see the Post and the Daily News on Tuesday

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh god. Peter Gammons is that you?

So because Jeter ran an extra 15 feet, one time, three years ago... he goes for tough balls? Give me a break.

Look no further then Zone Rating, which is a REALLY simple stat, basically how many balls in the mentioned players "zone" does the fielder make a play on.

So every single shortstop is put on a level playing field, a level "zone" if you will. How does Jeter rank?

20/24 regular MLB shortstops. Only guys who fielded less balls hit into the SS area: Yuniesky Betancourt, Angel Berroa, Felipe Lopez, Hanley Ramirez (sounds like a list of gold-glovers to me).

And there are plenty of better SS in the league who get by with more then "grit" "leadership" and "clutch". Their names are Michael Young, Jose Reyes, Carlos Guillen, Bill Hall, Miguel Tejada, Jimmy Rollins and Rafeal Furcal.
Not even close. No way. Bill Hall won't even be playing short this year, Tejada has nowhere NEAR the range of Jeter. Rafeal Furcal doesn't belong in the same BREATH as Jeter. Look, I loathe the Yankees, but to deny that Jeter is one of the best shortstops in baseball is just crazy. Ask any General Manager, scout, manager, ANYONE would you rather have Derek Jeter or Bill Hall? Or Tejada? Or Rollins? I can guarentee you that everyone would say Jeter. Now Michael Young is a hell of a shortstop and he could very well be up there with Jeter in a year or two and ditto with Reyes. But to deny Jeter is foolish.

TheOldRoman
02-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Not even close. No way. Bill Hall won't even be playing short this year, Tejada has nowhere NEAR the range of Jeter. Rafeal Furcal doesn't belong in the same BREATH as Jeter. Look, I loathe the Yankees, but to deny that Jeter is one of the best shortstops in baseball is just crazy. Ask any General Manager, scout, manager, ANYONE would you rather have Derek Jeter or Bill Hall? Or Tejada? Or Rollins? I can guarentee you that everyone would say Jeter. Now Michael Young is a hell of a shortstop and he could very well be up there with Jeter in a year or two and ditto with Reyes. But to deny Jeter is foolish.
Jeter is a very good hitter, and he is clutch. However, he is horrible defensively. All the guys you mentioned, while maybe not better players overall, are better defensively than him. Any GM taking Jeter would do so knowing he is sacrificing defense. Tejada lost a step, but he is still better. Rollins is a lot better. Michael Young is mediocre, at best, but still better defensively than Jeter. You are right that Furcal shouldn't be in the same breath as Jeter. Furcal is light years ahead of Jeter.
Furcal:Jeter :: Jeter:Me, on a bar stool

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Of the guys mentioned, Jeter, Tejada, Hall, Rollins, Furcal, Guillen, Reyes and Young...two of them have a higher fielding percentage than Jeter. Rollins, who has played for about half as long as Jeter. And Young who splits his time between short and second. Day in and day out if you ask GMs who would they like to have as their starting shortstop, the answer will come back: Derek Jeter. Now maybe in a couple of years they'll say Jose Reyes or Michael Young. But if you ask them "If you could have anyone be your starting shortstop in 2007, who would it be?" It would be nearly unanimous: Derek Jeter. And I KNOW this because I've heard GMs and scouts sing the praises of him in private. I know he's a Yankee and it's so damned hard to like a Yankee, but you have to respect him. He'll be mentioned along of guys like Dimaggio and Mantle one day. And if we could go back in time I'm sure there were just as many guys bad mouthing Dimaggio and Mantle too. And those guys are wrong too.

MincHiaPettito
02-20-2007, 04:07 AM
I do not think it has anything to do with him being a Yankee. Alex Rodriguez is a Yankee and he is clearly the better shortstop.

WizardsofOzzie
02-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Of the guys mentioned, Jeter, Tejada, Hall, Rollins, Furcal, Guillen, Reyes and Young...two of them have a higher fielding percentage than Jeter. Rollins, who has played for about half as long as Jeter. And Young who splits his time between short and second. Day in and day out if you ask GMs who would they like to have as their starting shortstop, the answer will come back: Derek Jeter. Now maybe in a couple of years they'll say Jose Reyes or Michael Young. But if you ask them "If you could have anyone be your starting shortstop in 2007, who would it be?" It would be nearly unanimous: Derek Jeter. And I KNOW this because I've heard GMs and scouts sing the praises of him in private. I know he's a Yankee and it's so damned hard to like a Yankee, but you have to respect him. He'll be mentioned along of guys like Dimaggio and Mantle one day. And if we could go back in time I'm sure there were just as many guys bad mouthing Dimaggio and Mantle too. And those guys are wrong too.
And there is a good reason for that. He doesn't get to as many balls as the other guys, thus has less errors. Why do you think Crede gets hosed in the GG? Because Chavez has less range, therefore doesn't get to the hard to play balls and possibly commit an error.

FedEx227
02-20-2007, 08:58 AM
THANK YOU!

Thank god some people don't have their head up their ass.

Fielding percentage is a joke because its very easy to manipulate. First off, errors aren't the same at every MLB ballpark in the country. What one scorer might see as an error another may see as a tough-hop. Add in the fact that you have home scorers going easy on their own players and you have an insane skewed stat.

Yankee or no Yankee... Jeter is average defensively, plain and simple. He gets big hits in big situations I do give him that, but to say hes the undisputed best SS in the MLB when there's a better one to the left of him everyday is just ridiculous.

WizardsofOzzie
02-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, range factor is garbage.

I do think Zone Rating is a good gage though of how effective a player is at getting to "tough" balls, which is what I was trying to defend. Joe Crede always excels in Zone Rating, while Eric Chavez suffers. Chavez has fewer errors and likewise gets gold gloves which is pretty sad because Crede puts much more effort into his position and his errors are then increased because he takes more risks, dives, etc.

And there is a good reason for that. He doesn't get to as many balls as the other guys, thus has less errors. Why do you think Crede gets hosed in the GG? Because Chavez has less range, therefore doesn't get to the hard to play balls and possibly commit an error.

I didn't even see that post you made FedEx. Great minds think alike huh? :redneck

Fenway
02-20-2007, 09:59 AM
LOL as expected

Daily News
A-Rod, Jeter in splitsville
Shortly after arriving at Yankees camp yesterday, Alex Rodriguez finally set the record straight about his relationship with Derek Jeter. "You go from sleeping over at somebody's house five days a week and now you don't sleep over," Rodriguez said. "It's not that big of a deal."

FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/499164p-420817c.html)

John Harper: He's clearing air & maybe the bases (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/499163p-420816c.html)

INFIELD ON THE OUTS (http://www.nypost.com/seven/02202007/sports/yankees/infield_on_the_outs_yankees_george_king.htm)

THE NEW ZOO REVUE (http://www.nypost.com/seven/02172007/sports/yankees/the_new_zoo_revue_yankees_joel_sherman.htm)

SBSoxFan
02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
There was some guy on AM1000 at 5 this morning that I actually liked. He was doing a show from California, may have been recorded. Anyway, his take on the whole situation was very reasonable. They're not best friends anymore because they have different life styles. ARod is married and Jeter, as the radio guy put it, "is going out with a different starlet every night". Why would you expect the friendship to remain the same after a personal change like getting married.

soxfanatlanta
02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
There was some guy on AM1000 at 5 this morning that I actually liked. He was doing a show from California, may have been recorded. Anyway, his take on the whole situation was very reasonable. They're not best friends anymore because they have different life styles. ARod is married and Jeter, as the radio guy put it, "is going out with a different starlet every night". Why would you expect the friendship to remain the same after a personal change like getting married.

Mark Patrick said the same thing on XM this morning; this whole thing is getting blown to absurd levels.

FedEx227
02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Mark Patrick said the same thing on XM this morning; this whole thing is getting blown to absurd levels.

Surprisingly.

I can't hope enough that A-Rod gets out of New York. Growing up I absolutely loved A-Rod and to see him get **** on everyday in New York is a disgrace. The man hits 35 HR, 120 RBI and has a "bad" year. Yes, he went 1-14 against Detroit which sucked, but it's lose-lose for him. If he hits 2 home runs, it'll be WHY NOT 3.

Get A-Rod out of New York!

Paulwny
02-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Fielding % was discussed here quite a few yrs. ago.
Go to Baseball Reference and look up Willie Mays and Cralos Lee's fielding %.
According to the stats the sox should have played Carlos in cf.

FedEx227
02-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Fielding % was discussed here quite a few yrs. ago.
Go to Baseball Reference and look up Willie Mays and Cralos Lee's fielding %.
According to the stats the sox should have played Carlos in cf.

Willie Mays Fielding Percentage

Carlos Lee Fielding Percentage

Obviously, Carlos Lee was a far superior fielder then Willie.

CLR01
02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Willie Mays Fielding Percentage

Carlos Lee Fielding Percentage

Obviously, Carlos Lee was a far superior fielder then Willie.

With a difference of .001%, all those GM's and scouts who rave about Jeters skill would be wise to save $20 million dollars and pick up Royce Clayton to patrol short.