PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of a Die-hard Sox Fan

BRDSR
02-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm putting together a sort of tongue-in-cheek presentation for this Wednesday. It's supposed to be half informative, half humorous. I've already got some ideas, but thought some people on wSI would have some pretty creative input.

What are some psychological nuances of a diehard White Sox fan?

White Sox Randy
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Since the White Sox won the World Series in 2005, every subsequent trade/signing or non-deal by the organization must be defended till the end no matter how obviously bad or wrong it was because "Kenny knows what he's doing."

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Sox fans hate losing - regardless of attendance figures.

KenBerryGrab
02-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Sox fans have a better grasp on reality than Cub fans. No romance in losing on the South Side.

russ99
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Sox fans hate losing - regardless of attendance figures.

And a quick addition to that:

Sox fans aren't sheep. If the team stinks, we don't go. But, we'll still go to a few games just for the fun of it.

rdwj
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
And a quick addition to that:

Sox fans aren't sheep. If the team stinks, we don't go. But, we'll still go to a few games just for the fun of it.

...but we tend to watch on TV even if they do stink

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Since the White Sox won the World Series in 2005, every subsequent trade/signing or non-deal by the organization must be defended till the end no matter how obviously bad or wrong it was because "Kenny knows what he's doing."

And no matter how obviously dumb it is to judge a trade until we really know how it folds out, you insist on doing it anyways because "White Sox Randy is smarter than Kenny Williams"

...but we tend to watch on TV even if they do stink

Yes indeedy, even though some would try to argue that only bandwagon fans don't go to games even when their team sucks. They are called Cubbie sheep

areilly
02-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Sox fans want the team to win and we want the team to win everything, and nothing is ever enough.

Win today's game? Okay, now take the 3-game series.

Take the 3-game? Okay, now take the season series.

Take the season series? Okay, where's the division?

Got the division? Great. Now give us a title.

Got the title? Perfect. How about winning in the Hot Stove League?

Pulled off the moves? Wonderful. Now go get the headlines.

And on and on and on.

And contrary to popular opinion, the Sox fan doesn't hate the Cubs exclusively - just most vocally. In truth, we hate every team.

soxfanatlanta
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Most Sox fans love their team due to genetics; not by what is popular. We are boat-rockers, if you will.

The OP wants humorous, not bitter. :tongue:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
And contrary to popular opinion, the Sox fan doesn't hate the Cubs exclusively - just most vocally. In truth, we hate every team.

Sox fans hate sheep. If that defines the rest of the league, so be it.

dwalteroo
02-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Strict adherence to a code of unwritten conduct that signifies a deeper understanding and respect for the game, even if said rules have little to do with the game on the field. For example, there are rules such as: never throw a home run ball back, never do the wave, never eat a hot dog with ketchup, etc. Obeying these maxims are outward signs that a fan is truly a fan, and not someone pretending to be. The reasonableness of these rules is debated endlessly - but that rarely if ever changes them.

tebman
02-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Most Sox fans love their team due to genetics; not by what is popular. We are boat-rockers, if you will.

Well put. I'd add that Sox fans are suspicious of authority figures ("experts," "media," "owners," etc.) and have no patience for blather or hype.

Oh, and as Lee Elia pointed out so eloquently years ago, Sox fans actually work for a living. :tongue:

Iwritecode
02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm sure this goes for fans of just about any team but Sox fans are allowed to rip any of their own players as much as a like.

But if a fan of another team rips said player, Sox fans will defend that player to the death.

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh, and as Lee Elia pointed out so eloquently years ago, Sox fans actually work for a living. :tongue:

Although this apparently makes us blue collar trash who can't comprehend baseball contract negotiations according to Joe Cowley
"Stereotype or not, the South Side is considered a blue-collar fan base. When dealing with making $12 million a year compared to $13 million or $14 million, that might be hard for the average 9-to-5 fan to swallow."- Joe Cowley

HawkDJ
02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
We demand more and ask only for perfection.

crazyozzie02
02-19-2007, 02:52 PM
i think that most of us dont believe a game is over until the final out is recorded. I think most of us believe in miracles (pod's gs, aj's strikeout,ect)

soxfanatlanta
02-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Sox fans believe that churros is a major food group.

crazyozzie02
02-19-2007, 03:30 PM

I think you may be wrong here. I think that a lot of us think that Churros is the ONLY food group

D. TODD
02-19-2007, 03:35 PM

And that it doesn't matter whats on your hot dog or what you eat or drink at the ballpark. It's about the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moses_Scurry
02-19-2007, 03:58 PM
As a die-hard Sox and Bears fan and a fairweather bulls and Illini fan, I can compare my tendencies between the two groups.

Sox/Bears: I agonize every time they lose a game, no matter how meaningless. When they lose a game, I am angry at the team until they win another game to right the ship.

Bulls/Illini: A loss is annoying but I pretty much forget about it 10 minutes after reading the paper.

Sox/Bears: I check the standings every day in the paper or online, even if I know that nothing has changed. I know exactly how far out of first they are on any given day of the season.

Bulls/Illini: I glance over the standings in the paper some days. I know the Bulls are playoff bound, but I can't say how far out of first they are. I have little idea where the Illini are in the standings.

Sox/Bears: I know what time every game starts, what channel it will be on, who's pitching, who the other teams in the division are playing at the time.

Bulls/Illini: Games regularly occur without me knowing about them ahead of times. I have absolutely no idea who the pistons or Ohio State are playing on a given day.

Sox/Bears: Upon elimination from playoff contention, I get depressed and sulk. I will still follow the team for the rest of the season in hopes that someone will win an individual stat title even if its something obscure like the "average yards after catch" title or the "homeruns in the first inning" title. Anything I can hang my hat on in the absence of postseason play. I will never root hard for any team other than the Sox or Bears to win their respective championships.

Bulls/Illini: Upon elimination from contention, my thoughts immediately go to the next sport on the horizon. I will root hard for secondary teams if the Bulls or Illini are eliminated.

Sox/Bears: Attending a game live is a wonderful treat, no matter how well the team is doing. In 2002, the one summer that I actually lived in the city, I went to the cell about 25 times. That was the summer I truly learned to hate Todd Ritchie! I will watch any game that is broadcast where I live (Indianapolis)

Bulls/Illini: I have never been to a live game for either of these teams. I'll watch them on TV in the post season (or March Madness), but that's about it.

I'm sure there are more valid comparisons but I can't think of them now.

thomas35forever
02-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Kosher dogs kick regular dogs' asses. Period. No questions asked.

tony1972
02-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Sox fans are a bit out of the norm..not just in baseball but in most aspects of life.

Sox fans don't follow anything just because it is considered 'trendy'. We know what we like and it doesn't matter if it is accepted or considered in or fashionable.

Sox fans hate losing and hate those who think losing is cute.

Sox fans are realistic. When our team stinks..it is because the PLAYERS STINK not because of the umpiring, curses, superstitions, etc.

Sox fans are pretty tough. We have had to learn to defend things we love when others tell us we shouldn't.

Sox fans are usually pretty funny and witty...this is because we had no other choice but to learn to be this way. Being a Sox fan and often being the minority we have had to learn to be sarcastic, smart-mouthed, sometimes crude and argumentative to defend ourselves and our team.

Sox fans are to baseball what unknown but high quality garage bands, neighborhood bands or punk bands are to music. Cubs fans are to baseball are what N'Sync, the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears are to music.

Jurr
02-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Sox fans are a bit out of the norm..not just in baseball but in most aspects of life.

Sox fans don't follow anything just because it is considered 'trendy'. We know what we like and it doesn't matter if it is accepted or considered in or fashionable.

Sox fans hate losing and hate those who think losing is cute.

Sox fans are realistic. When our team stinks..it is because the PLAYERS STINK not because of the umpiring, curses, superstitions, etc.

Sox fans are pretty tough. We have had to learn to defend things we love when others tell us we shouldn't.

Sox fans are usually pretty funny and witty...this is because we had no other choice but to learn to be this way. Being a Sox fan and often being the minority we have had to learn to be sarcastic, smart-mouthed, sometimes crude and argumentative to defend ourselves and our team.

Sox fans are to baseball what unknown but high quality garage bands, neighborhood bands or punk bands are to music. Cubs fans are to baseball are what N'Sync, the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears are to music.
Very well put.

We have a long, family bond to an organization that most people don't consider the "norm" in baseball circles. We love the team that threw a world series.

We are used to being cautiously optimistic regarding the team that comes into spring training, well aware of the team's question marks. Due to our history, we have a good gauge on what will ultimately spell disaster for our team's postseason hopes.

Due to the recent events in 2005, we all have a newer look at the team as far as what we can realistically hope for - back in the day, the Sox winning a ring was so foreign to us that we couldn't actually fathom it. Now, we've seen the prize and we want more.

SouthSideHitman
02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
We privatly expect the worst, while publicly demanding the opposite. ie, While few Sox fans loved the Todd Ritchie deal, we hated the Trib for panning it while simultaneously playing up whatever mediocre budget buster the cubs had just signed.

After years of near-misses and September flameouts we have both a high threshold for jumping on the bandwagon and for pain, but when we do, we rock the stadium like nobody's business.

We like weekday afternoon games once a week - at most.

We can't find any mythic beauty or life-lessons in 90 loss teams other than "life sucks" and wonder why anyone would try to.

Although some of these might not be as true since two years ago.

Which brings me to my last point. Our collective blood pressure has noticably decreased since October 26th, 2005.

SouthSideSid
02-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Sox Fans know Bill Veeck was a freaking genius.
That exploding scoreboards rule.
That "Disco Demolition Night" was AWESOME - even if we had to forfeit the second game.
That you give Frank Thomas a standing ovation when he comes back in a different uniform because he deserves it.
That Tom Gamboa shouldn't have lipped off to a Sox fan.

Holy WS Batman!
02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Sox Fans also make up nicknames of both good and bad for their players that only they may use according to how the player is playing. One minute we're shouting Put Em Away Paulie then when he chokes he turns into Pop-up Paulie.

My personal favorite is for the Bears... Sexy Rexy and Josie Grossy.

The OP wants humorous, not bitter. :tongue:

So true. Every Sox fan I know was born into this team. Our excuse being Sox fans... we just are it's what we do.
Cubs fans are people who move here and just pick the Cubs because they are what's trendy.

JB98
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Good thread. I was actually thinking of doing a column sometime soon about what it means to be a Sox fan. There are several comments in here that hit the nail on the head.

chisoxmike
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
That Tom Gamboa shouldn't have lipped off to a Sox fan.

Wow.

:rolleyes:

RadioheadRocks
02-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Sox fans don't throw the ball back. :cool:

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Sox fans are just more edgy. When the Cubs start to blow a lead the fans just sorta sigh and say "Here we go again!" At Comiskey the fans are ready to kill.

A good day at Wrigley is the sun is shining, the beer is cold, the babes are hot and someone hits a homerun. If the Cubs win, that's a nice little bonus. For a Sox fan, it can be forty degrees and raining, if the Sox win it was a fun day at the ballpark.

Sox fans have a much longer memory than Cub fans do. A Cub fan might say something like "Wow! Alfonso Soriano is good!" Where a Sox fan might say "Yea, Anderson is okay, but he's no Chet Lemon."

Sox fans know more about the game. They know when a guy should bunt, when a guy should take a pitch. Cubs fans don't know anything about that.

The Sox are not a sexy team and nor are our fans. You'll see Jennifer Anniston sitting in a sky box at Wrigley but you won't see that at Comiskey. The people you see at Comiskey are the people you see in your neighborhood. There is no glamour at Comiskey. We are blue collar and our team has historically represented that. While the Cubs have had guys like Ryne Sandberg and Mark Prior who could double as a teenage girl's pinup, the Sox have had guys like Carlton Fisk, Greg Luzinski, Ozzie Guillen. There haven't been a whole lot of Sox players that girls sigh over. And we don't care, in fact girl Sox fans don't care, so long as they come through.

tick53
02-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Sox fans respect each other. No matter where you go in this world and you happen to meet a stranger who's a Sox fan, you can talk for hours about the team, past and present players, the organization, etc. You feel the genuine love and appreciation that this person has for this team. I'm referring mostly to pre-World Series Sox. The new fans are passionate as well though I believe.

Gavin
02-20-2007, 03:34 PM
The first Cubs/Sox game I went to when I was actually aware of its significance was three years ago. I was offered at least three grilled hamburgers in the parking lot walking to the entrance by my brethren, tailgating Sox fans.