PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training tidbits

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Scott Reifert updated his blog from Spring training. Some highlights:

First Sight of the Spring

Was pitcher Sean Tracey peddling into spring training on a radio flyer bike with a World War II helmet on his head (at least he had a helmet on).

While in Chicago for SoxFest, Robin [Ventura] took his wife Stephanie out to dinner. I asked him about the evening and dinner. We took the train, he said.

"Wait," I asked him. "You couldn't spring for a limo or even a taxi? You actually took the Blue Line?"

Wolf Hound

I stood in the hallway just outside our clubhouse talking to Jim Thome the other day when a "wolf-hound" appeared in the hall, just outside the weight room door.

"Is that supposed to be here," I asked, "because around here you can't always tell." (I'm thinking coyote or something).

"That's Matt's (Thornton's) dog," Thome said, chuckling.

tick53
02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Nice tidbits:smile: Thanks!!

AnkleSox
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
And Erstad wanted to stick around, meet his new teammates and Sox fans, and find a home for the summer in the Chicago area.
This sense of team is what makes these guys so special.

This is also another encouraging piece from that entry.

itsnotrequired
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
New update from Scott. Some tidbits:

The first ball of the game was hit to shortstop Juan Uribe.

"Don't hit it to Uribe," someone shouted, "He's on a work-release program."

When Charlie Haeger hit Joe Crede with a knuckleball in the first inning, the slo-motion incident drew oohhs and ahhhs from the bench.

"He should be ashamed to take a base after getting hit with a knuckleball," Ozzie Guillen said.

"He should have caught it," a quick-witted scribe replied.

"Hey, Dwayne Wade," AJ Pierzynski offered. "Need a wheel chair?"

At one point, Guillen danced away from an annoying bee.

"That thing might bite you, and you might be dead in this desert."

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2007/02/observations_qu.html

dwalteroo
02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
:rolling:

crazyozzie02
02-27-2007, 11:20 AM
God I love AJ

havelj
02-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Who is the pitcher going on Saturday & Sunday? I saw this on Reifert's blog:

Wednesday:
Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, John Danks, Mike MacDougal, Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton.

Thursday:
Vazquez, Broadway, Sisco, Aardsma, Gonzalez and Buckvich.
Split: Phillips, Haeger, Russell, Malone, Tracey, Logan and C. Vazquez.

Friday:
Contreras, Floyd, Whisler, Day, Reynoso and Perez.

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
God I love AJ
AJ is the type of guy you love when he's on your team, but if he's not on your team you hate him. I hope he finishes his career with us so I won't have to hate him.

DarkHorse35
02-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Watch out for those bees Ozzie

caulfield12
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Who is the pitcher going on Saturday & Sunday? I saw this on Reifert's blog:

Wednesday:
Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, John Danks, Mike MacDougal, Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton.

Thursday:
Vazquez, Broadway, Sisco, Aardsma, Gonzalez and Buckvich.
Split: Phillips, Haeger, Russell, Malone, Tracey, Logan and C. Vazquez.

Friday:
Contreras, Floyd, Whisler, Day, Reynoso and Perez.

It will be nice for Dewon Day and Oneli to get some PT. If Bukvich is healthy, he could also be a candidate in the bullpen, another power arm.

MarySwiss
02-27-2007, 06:49 PM
One of the cool things about Spring Training is the back-and-forth between the players. AJ is ALWAYS getting on Crede; you can tell they're pals. And you'll usually see Konerko and Thome chatting.

Although when I was out there Saturday morning, it was COLD! And they didn't look exactly thrilled to be out there, especially when taking BP.

I know it sounds weird to hear it's cold in Arizona, but the temp was about 50 at best and the practice fields are wide open, so there's a pretty good wind going through. I was wearing long sleeves under my AJ jersey under my Sox Starter jacket, and I STILL was cold. And they were in short sleeves for the most part.

MincHiaPettito
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
The Sox signed about 20 guys today to 1 year deals, everyone in camp is now under contract

itsnotrequired
02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
The Sox signed about 20 guys today to 1 year deals, everyone in camp is now under contract

Pitchers (14) - RHP David Aardsma, RHP Dewon Day, RHP Gavin Floyd, RHP Charlie Haeger, RHP Bobby Jenks, LHP Boone Logan, RHP Nick Masset, RHP Oneli Perez, LHP Heath Phillips, LHP Paulino Reynoso, LHP Andrew Sisco, LHP Matt Thornton, RHP Sean Tracey and LHP Carlos Vasquez

Infielders (4) - Josh Fields, Andy Gonzalez, Pedro Lopez and Casey Rogowski

Outfielder (3) - Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070227&content_id=1818003&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

itsnotrequired
02-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Part of the day's schedule included competition between two teams in a situational hitting contest. Each team roared as players competed in various skills inside the batter's box.

Pitchers took turns fielding sharply hit balls back at them. A coach hit fungo shots at them with a soft baseball as they practiced fielding the come-bakcers. Mark Buehrle took a turn wearing Jon Garland's glove (and imitating Jon's dropped throw from last year, remember the one that actually fell behind him), while Garland fielded one round using Buehrle's glove (no errors). Safe to say that our starting pitchers might be the best fielding pitchers in baseball.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2007/02/competition_is_.html

Madscout
02-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Anyone know who won the inter-team game? Just interested to know.

itsnotrequired
03-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Bobby's Hair
Following this morning's workout, Bobby Jenks followed through on his pledge to support the St. Balderick's Foundation's efforts to cure childhood cancer and shaved his head in front of WFLD cameras. Bullpen mates Andrew Sisco and Sean Tracey learned of Bobby's gesture and shaved their own heads in support. Heath Phillips helped in the clipping, but since the left-hander is already bald, he couldn't join in the team gesture.

Podsednik BP
Nice to see Scott Podsednik taking live batting practice on the backs fields before today's game. It had to feel good for him, too.

AJ's Picks
Count on AJ to finish his NCAA basketball pool by having Florida face the Ohio State Buckeyes. The Gator fan's guess at the score? 41-14, the same score of the national championship football game.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2007/03/random_thoughts.html

Steelrod
03-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Was at the game at Maryvale. Guy from Sportservice came down to offer JR and his party beer. Ozzie turned around and said, "the hell with him. He can afford it. Why don't you buy beer for all the fans behind him!" AND HE DID !
Nice going Ozzie.

cheezheadsoxfan
03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Was at the game at Maryvale. Guy from Sportservice came down to offer JR and his party beer. Ozzie turned around and said, "the hell with him. He can afford it. Why don't you buy beer for all the fans behind him!" AND HE DID !
Nice going Ozzie.

Think the media will make a big deal out of that? Nah, too positive.:rolleyes: