PDA

View Full Version : Short Window In '07?

BUMMER
02-19-2007, 08:37 AM
With contracts of Buehrle, Crede, Iguchi, & Dye expiring and with a "nothing-more-to-prove-in-the-minors" situation with Sweeney, Fields, Floyd, Danks, & Masset, KW may be faced with a major decision around the July trading deadline. If the Sox don't have as strong of first half as last year, and if Detroit and Cleveland contend as expected, will Kenny "back up the truck" and go in a new direction? Or will he play it out and let the stars walk at the end (a la Mags) and retool next offseason? The thread is - how big of a window do the Sox have and is it too early to discuss this?

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2007, 09:04 AM
It's going to be interesting with what's going to happen with Buerhle, Dye and Crede this year...but I don't expect to see those guys traded unless the Sox are about, twenty games out. I expect those guys to have big years and for the Sox to win the division. But, we'll see how it all plays out.

Lukin13
02-19-2007, 09:27 AM
if the trade deadline market is anything like it has been the past two seasons KW will be sitting on a gold mine IF the Sox are indeed "out of it".

BUT

The Sox would have to be off to a REALLY bad start in order for them to be more than 7 out of the division AND the wildcard race.

It sure has to be tempting though, the rent a player value on those three alone has to be enough to stockpile the farm for years to come, especially when the "Right" move might actual be to let them walk after the '07 season.

Great post, obviously it won't go over too well here, but it definitely needs to be explored.

The Sox are stuck in a division where 4 of the 5 teams have future outlooks as good or better than Chicago. It would suck breaking up this team, and a fan never really wants it to come to that BUT I am enough of a realist to understand it MIGHT be the correct move.

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Therein lies the dilemma.

If this does happen, they fix the SS (probably not Valido) situation, maybe they move Cintron or Uribe to 2B, decide whether or not to keep Crede, where Fields ends up...whether Sweeney is an everyday player for 2008, along with Brian Anderson.

They run out a ton of young pitchers in the second half. Danks, Masset, Gonzalez, Broadway, Haeger, Phillips, maybe even McCullogh for a start or two. They blow everything up and trade all the veterans and get a Brandon Wood, put Fields at 3B, add MORE pitching and a power-hitting corner outfielder. Maybe let Owens get some PT to see if he can possibly fill the leadoff spot out of LF, like Pods.

Theoretically, they could trade AJ, Konerko, Thome, Iguchi, anyone from their bench, Crede, any of their starters (especially Garland, who would have the highest value), Erstad, Dye, Pods...almost ANYONE with the exception of Jenks and Thornton, I would assume.

Although if Sisco does well, they could get a king's ransom for Thornton now as well, if he looks like he did in 2006.

They also have Gio Gonzalez (might be more suited for the pen with his size), Danks, Phillips, Reynoso, Logan and a couple of others (maybe Malone) who could fill the lefty role in the pen. Or maybe Sisco could start. Same with Masset.

soxtalker
02-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I think that we may want to look a little earlier than the trade deadline for some of these moves. Teams -- the Sox and potential trade partners -- will be sorting things out in spring training, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen before the season starts.

oeo
02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
With contracts of Buehrle, Crede, Iguchi, & Dye expiring and with a "nothing-more-to-prove-in-the-minors" situation with Sweeney, Fields, Floyd, Danks, & Masset, KW may be faced with a major decision around the July trading deadline. If the Sox don't have as strong of first half as last year, and if Detroit and Cleveland contend as expected, will Kenny "back up the truck" and go in a new direction? Or will he play it out and let the stars walk at the end (a la Mags) and retool next offseason? The thread is - how big of a window do the Sox have and is it too early to discuss this?

I don't think we'll have to worry about that. From the sounds of it, that 2005 attitude is back. This is going to be a fun season. :cool:

Jurr
02-19-2007, 11:05 AM
With the surplus of talent the Sox have acquired, they have enough commodities to plug into the lineup or to trade for other talent. Before 2005, we didn't have Jermaine Dye or Iguchi. My point is that despite our attachment to these players, there are other fish in the sea. There are other players out there capable of producing.

I trust that KW will keep transitioning younger talent into the organization to keep the Sox competitive for years to come. Just because you lose talent from the 2005 champs doesn't mean you're necessarily rebuilding.

Madvora
02-19-2007, 11:16 AM
if the trade deadline market is anything like it has been the past two seasons KW will be sitting on a gold mine IF the Sox are indeed "out of it".
That's a great point and exactly what I was thinking.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I think that we may want to look a little earlier than the trade deadline for some of these moves. Teams -- the Sox and potential trade partners -- will be sorting things out in spring training, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen before the season starts.
No...I dont' think that is going to happen. If you want to win in 2007 then you don't start shipping off veterans for prospects before the season starts. But if come the deadline we're way out of it then I think you start looking at options. But if we're ten games out of a playoff position or less, then you hold onto those guys unless the Sox want to revisit the ugliness of the White Flag trade.

balke
02-19-2007, 12:34 PM
IMO the only competition this team should have this year is Detroit. If they can't at least keep up with the Wild Card with this wealth of talent, I don't see why the Brass should be paying anyone.

jcw218
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
No...I dont' think that is going to happen. If you want to win in 2007 then you don't start shipping off veterans for prospects before the season starts. But if come the deadline we're way out of it then I think you start looking at options. But if we're ten games out of a playoff position or less, then you hold onto those guys unless the Sox want to revisit the ugliness of the White Flag trade.

When the white flag trade occured in 1997, the White Sox were 3.5 games behind Cleveland for first place in the division. What upset a lot of fans at the time was not so much the fact that the trade occured, but it was the attitude that management, mainly Reinsdorf, had that this team is not going to catch Cleveland. I wish that team got a chance to see what it could do.

If the Sox are out of it at the trading deadline, you have to look at all options that are available to you. When deciding if you are a seller or buyer at the deadline, one needs to look not only at how many games that one is out of a playoff spot but also how many teams do you need to leap in order to get said playoff spot. If you're 10 games out of the wild card and there's 6 teams ahead of you, what are your chances?

jcw218
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
IMO the only competition this team should have this year is Detroit. If they can't at least keep up with the Wild Card with this wealth of talent, I don't see why the Brass should be paying anyone.

You can't count out Minnesota either. Even though Liriano is going to be out for the year and Radke retired, the Twins always seem to get players that step up and perform under pressure.

whitesoxfan1986
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I strongly disagree. Cleveland and Minny will be there too. I hate the Twins with a passion. They always pull division winning seasons out of their ass, and I've come to expect that no matter what the odds, they'll be in it. For all we know any one of their young pitchers could turn out to be pretty good. I also think Cleveland has the best offense in the AL Central, and their rotation isn't too shabby either, and when it's all said and done, may be the best in the division. The Royals will be a thorn in every team in our division's side, and if they were in the NL, would win 80-85 games. I think they'll win between 70 and 80 games this season. At the end of the season, It's quite possible that there is a difference of 5 games between 1st and 3rd place, because the top 3 teams are just that good. If I had to pick right now, I'd pick the division like this: 1) White Sox 92-70 2) Indians 90-72 3)Tigers 88-74 4)Twins 85-77(because they're the Twins:angry:) 5) Royals 75-87. That's a difference of 7 games between 1st and 4th place. I really think this division is going to be that close, so there will be no trading of players on the Sox unless they want to do another White Flag Trade, which would really piss off the fans.

soxtalker
02-19-2007, 01:12 PM

I'm not saying that there is a high probability that Kenny will ship another of the veteran pitchers or someone like Crede, but, like most GM's, he'll listen/explore many options. And KW is quite willing to pull the trigger on deals.

I was talking more about the timing of trades. This thread focused on the few weeks before the trading deadline as a period when one could expect trades. That's a time when lots of teams are trying to fill holes or trade off surplus talent. What I was trying to point out here was that there is also a window near the end of spring training when one can expect a lot of teams to be interested in trading. What kind of deals Kenny would be willing to do depends a lot on how things sort out in our ST camp -- and others.

SBSoxFan
02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
When the white flag trade occured in 1997, the White Sox were 3.5 games behind Cleveland for first place in the division. What upset a lot of fans at the time was not so much the fact that the trade occured, but it was the attitude that management, mainly Reinsdorf, had that this team is not going to catch Cleveland. I wish that team got a chance to see what it could do.

I kind of felt like they wouldn't catch Cleveland either. I mean, weren't the Sox under 500 at the time? They just weren't that good, although I felt like that pitching staff could have caught fire at anytime. Besides, did Danny Darwin really help who he was traded to? I really don't recall.

balke
02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I strongly disagree. Cleveland and Minny will be there too. I hate the Twins with a passion. They always pull division winning seasons out of their ass, and I've come to expect that no matter what the odds, they'll be in it. For all we know any one of their young pitchers could turn out to be pretty good. I also think Cleveland has the best offense in the AL Central, and their rotation isn't too shabby either, and when it's all said and done, may be the best in the division. The Royals will be a thorn in every team in our division's side, and if they were in the NL, would win 80-85 games. I think they'll win between 70 and 80 games this season. At the end of the season, It's quite possible that there is a difference of 5 games between 1st and 3rd place, because the top 3 teams are just that good. If I had to pick right now, I'd pick the division like this: 1) White Sox 92-70 2) Indians 90-72 3)Tigers 88-74 4)Twins 85-77(because they're the Twins:angry:) 5) Royals 75-87. That's a difference of 7 games between 1st and 4th place. I really think this division is going to be that close, so there will be no trading of players on the Sox unless they want to do another White Flag Trade, which would really piss off the fans.

Cleveland's bullpen has a big hole. They don't have the best Offense in the AL, Detroit, the Yankees, Red Sox at the very least are all better. The White Sox should be better as well. The pitching is nice, but so is ours. I don't see anything special about the Indians. Minnesota will be good as always, but without Liriano destroying everyone this season, and no Radke in the rotation, I'd expect them to fall back a bit this year from last.

To me, no excuses for the Sox. If Floyd is a bust, and Sisco can't start successfully then that's our big problem. Kenny will be responsible for making a big trade at that point. Other than that, they have no excuse not to go out and win. Detroit looks great on paper, so I don't expect the sox to runaway with the division, but they should be able to make it competitive and give themselves a big shot at the playoffs.

Bob G
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Looking at the schedule we should have a decent idea where we stand by the end of April - 6 vs Clev, 3 vs Minn, 5 vs Detroit, and 2 vs KC.

twentywontowin
02-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Looking at the schedule we should have a decent idea where we stand by the end of April - 6 vs Clev, 3 vs Minn, 5 vs Detroit, and 2 vs KC.

Baseball seasons are played in 162 games...not 16.

Bob G
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
No kidding - I didn't say the division would be decided in April.

oeo
02-19-2007, 03:00 PM

I think it will be Cleveland. Detroit will have a fall like we did last year (maybe worse). They improved their offense with Sheffield, but so did we with Thome last year. Kenny Rogers and Todd Jones are not getting any younger and they lost Jamie Walker in the pen.

If Cleveland can somehow get their bullpen to work, they will be the toughest competition.

Frater Perdurabo
02-19-2007, 03:45 PM

Well, there is an element of truth to the adage that you can't win the division in April (or May or June), but you can lose it in April (or May or June).

Of course, I'm predicting the Sox to win it all in 2007.

BUMMER
02-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Nothing against any individual players. Under the theories that it's better to trade "a year too early than a year too late" and "you have to give something to get something", I think KW and the Sox are in a good position. Certainly this team as-is can win the 90+ games it needs to get to the post-season. But one can argue that players like Dye may never again put up MVP numbers or that Contreras ' value will never be as high as when he won 17 out of 18 over 2 years. Or one could argue that the Sox could upgrade SS, LF, CF, and possibly 2B (and in the process, upgrade top-of-the-order). Every team, every year has to decide when to bring in prospects, let go of up-coming free-agents, and be budget-concious on resigning their core players. My question was (and is) Does KW make a move this spring, wait and see how things look in July, or ride it out till the season-end?

esbrechtel
02-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Or one could argue that the Sox could upgrade SS, LF, CF, and possibly 2B (and in the process, upgrade top-of-the-order).
According to the Sun Times this morning Iguchi is ranked 2nd among 2B in most offensive categories...I don't think we could upgrade there too much...Honestly, I feel that if the Sox think that Dye is going to decline they should trade him first. That being said, if they are not going to resign burls, Iguchi, Dye, etc... then where is all that money going to go? I think they should lock up Crede (I know most people on this board feel his back is a liability) he has been getting better every season and could be the cornerstone for the franchise, they then can trade Fields, and any combination of Dye, pitchers, etc. to upgrade at SS...

jcw218
02-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I kind of felt like they wouldn't catch Cleveland either. I mean, weren't the Sox under 500 at the time? They just weren't that good, although I felt like that pitching staff could have caught fire at anytime. Besides, did Danny Darwin really help who he was traded to? I really don't recall.

Thew Sox were right around .500 at the time the trade was made. The Sox hovered right around .500 the rest of the season finishing at 80 - 81. Darwin was traded to the Giants who finished in first place in the NL west but lost in the 1st round of the post season to the Marlins who wound up winning the World Series that year.

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
The White Sox would have been positioned to trade Contreras last season in May. Now his value is way down. But nobody knew that he was going to get injured and struggle to regain his form the remainder of the season (with the exception of the Tigers game).

Trading Dye and Iguchi now would be fine, but they wouldn't get better replacements. The Indians were lucky to get Barfield back in that deal...he's going to be a keeper. Any trade of either player (to get younger and cheaper) will have to be done at the break, although some would argue you could get someone like Alexis Rios for Dye, I don't think so.

Domeshot17
02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't think Konerko gets dealt because you don't have a replacement for him. Rogowski really isn't a long term answer at 1b, I don't think he translates into major league power, maybe topping out as a Sean Casey type.

The problem with the Wild Card is if the AL Central is as strong as predicted, it won't come from the Central because they are going to beat on each other. This isn't like the AL West or East, where you are 2 top heavy and 2 SO SO for sure. The Jays look like an 85 win team, 3rd best. We have 4 teams better then them. Now, Im guessing one of the 4 plays over their head, and one of the 4 underachieves, but realisitically it could be a dog fight\

The one thing that does bother me in all this, Maybe we can't afford to keep everyone, and don't want to over pay for some guys. But if we are letting everyone walk like Kenny keeps saying, then where are we spending the money. Thome? yah but the Phillies are paying some. Vazquez? Well thats not really money well spent, even with the contributions from the Dbacks AND Yankees. Konerko is signed to a great deal. I just don't get the theory behind letting Dye Buehrle Crede etc. all walk, and now with Tadahito thrown in. At some time we are going to have the bite the bullet and get these guys signed. I think you HAVE to keep Tadahito because you don't have a 2b in the wings. You have to keep 1 of Dye or Crede, Because Fields can't take over an OF position AND the 3b spot. I don't like an OF of Sweeney Fields and Anderson in the future, because we are talking about an OF that doesnt consist of a 25 stolen base player, and only 1 25 home run potential hitter. Kenny has done a GREAT job of setting the pitching up for the future, but the offense has MAJOR questions. I just really hope the time doesn't come in 2009 when we are back to a 72 million dollar pay roll.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2007, 06:29 PM
That was the only analogy I was trying to draw between anything we do this year and the White Flag trade. If the Sox just say "Oh well, we give up!" You're right back where you were ten years ago, regardless of that World Series title...but I highly doubt that will happen.

There are a couple of guys that I think you can trade and maintain competitiveness...I think maybe you could trade Dye or Crede and still be looking at the playoffs because I think with Sweeney and Fields you have capable replacements (like, I think they could hit around .250 or so). But if you trade Iguchi or Contreras, well then you're creating more holes and I dont' think we have anyone ready to replace them.

Kenny has always said that he loved the Braves model and if you look at the Braves they only kept four guys and just sorta built up around them. For the Sox I think the guys you keep and build around are Garland, Buerhle (if he returns to form) and Konerko.

gobears1987
02-19-2007, 06:52 PM
We don't have a short window in 07. We have young talent who will be ready to dominate around then, but that doesn't mean that we can't keep some of the old guard around. It just means we can have some flexibility and let Crede go if KW believes Fields will do just as good of a job for a fraction of the price.

The Sox should be competitive for at least 5 more years. (and quite possibly longer)

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Make that through the 08 season for sure....

After that, we could lose Garland and Vazquez, with only Contreras (and who knows how he'll be at that point) still around, along with all the young pitchers and whatever we pick up in trade or sign as a FA before then.

esbrechtel
02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
The Sox should be competitive for at least 5 more years. (and quite possibly longer)
how do you figure? In the next 5 years....
Konerko will be gone
Thome will be in his last year
AJ might be gone
Dye might be gone
Crede might be gone
Iguchi might be gone
Uribe gone
Pods gone
Erstad gone
Don't even get me started with the pitching...

Who do you have in the field?
Owens, Sweeney, Fields, BA....are they good enough to compete in the division which EVERY team has a big upside...I don't know if i could agree...
I think KW needs to lock down 2 of the 3...I think we could do alright without Burls, but we should give Guchi, Dye or Crede the contract they deserve

Tragg
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
I generally don't like midseason trades...they are extreme: good players for unproven prospects and the team that gets the good player gets them for 1/2 a season. Too much lose/lose.
Now the Loiza/Contreras trade was an exception to that. So was the Garcia trade, really, as we gave them a starting catcher. Those 2 trades more closely resembled winter trades.

Now, a well conceived winter trade, when you deal from strength can be beautiful things.

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 08:42 PM
It was still really a "prospect" trade for the Sox, Olivo wasn't viewed as more than a platoon catcher, Morse didn't have enough power for OF or 3B and enough range for SS and Reed, well, we had Anderson and Young that KW liked a lot more than Reed. Reed was a great AA/AAA hitter, but most didn't project him in the majors because he didn't have enough power for 1B and enough athletic ability for CF.

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Konerko will be gone
AJ might be gone
Dye might be gone
Crede might be gone
Iguchi might be gone
Uribe gone
Pods gone
Erstad gone

Owens, Sweeney, Fields, BA....are they good enough to compete in the division which EVERY team has a big upside...I don't know if i could agree...
I think KW needs to lock down 2 of the 3...I think we could do alright without Burls, but we should give Guchi, Dye or Crede the contract they deserve

If Conteras is STILL a stud...if we keep Garland AGAIN....then, maybe.

But we still have to get Danks/Gonzalez (one of the two) to become a 1 or 2 caliber starter....and for Broadway, Haeger, Phillips, Sisco, Thornton, Masset, McCullogh, Russell, Harrell (two of those guys) to become legitimate major leaguers as well.

In essence, we need to go 3 for 11.

chisoxmike
02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Make that through the 08 season for sure....

After that, we could lose Garland and Vazquez, with only Contreras (and who knows how he'll be at that point) still around, along with all the young pitchers and whatever we pick up in trade or sign as a FA before then.

Yeah but at the end of the 03 season could you imagine what the staff would look like in a few years? Contreras, Vazquez, Hernandez, Garcia, etc...

You just dont know who we may pick up over the years.

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah but at the end of the 03 season could you imagine what the staff would look like in a few years? Contreras, Vazquez, Hernandez, Garcia, etc...

You just dont know who we may pick up over the years.

Who is Hernandez?

I really wish we kept Tom Gordon, but we couldn't guarantee him the closer's role and he left to become the set-up man for NY. That really hurt us in 04, at least until Takatsu asserted himself.

But if you look at 2000....Sirotka, Baldwin, Parque, Eldred, Kip Wells, Buehrle and Garland, we've changed dramatically.

guillen4life13
02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Who is Hernandez?

I really wish we kept Tom Gordon, but we couldn't guarantee him the closer's role and he left to become the set-up man for NY. That really hurt us in 04, at least until Takatsu asserted himself.

But if you look at 2000....Sirotka, Baldwin, Parque, Eldred, Kip Wells, Buehrle and Garland, we've changed dramatically.
:elduque:
Hola! Que tal hijo?

chisoxmike
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Who is Hernandez?

This guy...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/10/07/1128727019_1923.jpg

oeo
02-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Konerko will be gone
AJ might be gone
Dye might be gone
Crede might be gone
Iguchi might be gone
Uribe gone
Pods gone
Erstad gone

I just have one question...how do you sustain success? Do you let all those guys grow old, or do you make changes, inserting young talent?

***** if you think we have to keep all of our veterans. You make changes. People said the same thing about losing Magglio, C-Lee, Frank, etc. Who was brought in? Dye, Thome, Pods, Iguchi, etc.

In five years, quite frankly, I probably won't want Dye or Thome. I don't know if Thome has five years left in him, for one and Dye will be closing in on 40. Changes will be made to sustain the success.

Now, I want Iguchi and Dye to come back, but no more than a three year extension (maybe four, but that's pushing it). These are guys that will be close to 40 by the end of a 5-year contract. Crede should get five years, but I don't feel the same way about Iguchi and Dye.

caulfield12
02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
This guy...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/10/07/1128727019_1923.jpg

It's funny, I never thought of him as Hernandez, always as El Duque.

Contreras, you think of by his last name, for some reason. Or El Gran Titan de Bronze, my favorite name for him. I haven't bought a Sox jersey in 20 years, but I almost bought one for Jose when he was leading us to the promised land in 05.

esbrechtel
02-20-2007, 12:13 AM
I just have one question...how do you sustain success? Do you let all those guys grow old, or do you make changes, inserting young talent?

***** if you think we have to keep all of our veterans. You make changes. People said the same thing about losing Magglio, C-Lee, Frank, etc. Who was brought in? Dye, Thome, Pods, Iguchi, etc.

In five years, quite frankly, I probably won't want Dye or Thome. I don't know if Thome has five years left in him, for one and Dye will be closing in on 40. Changes will be made to sustain the success.

Now, I want Iguchi and Dye to come back, but no more than a three year extension (maybe four, but that's pushing it). These are guys that will be close to 40 by the end of a 5-year contract. Crede should get five years, but I don't feel the same way about Iguchi and Dye.

Easy OEO, i never said we need to keep all of these guys and just get old and decrepit, I am simply pointing out that we should try and lock down someone with all the $ we will have by not paying some of these players....a lot of people seem to have a lot of faith in Fields, maybe hes the guy, I donno, I just think that we should lock up crede or iguchi...not necessarily both...

twentywontowin
02-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Remember the dominance we had on the AL Central in 2005? We nearly lost that come September.

The season is a long rollercoaster marathon. You don't breathe until October comes around.