PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie on Sportscenter

sox230
02-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Pretty dull conversation UNTIL they showed Ozzie with the trophy fron 2005, an ofcourse, the thing they ask--"What will it take to make Chicago a Sox town?"--of course ESPN can't let the Sox bask in their own glory.
And how does Ozzie rsepond? "It will never happen no matter if we win 200 World Series."--Thanks for the good national exposure Oz. I guess he doesn't know the true situation....
If we are consistently a playoff team, the numbers will be close to even, but the PASSION will favor us.

QCIASOXFAN
02-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Pretty dull conversation UNTIL they showed Ozzie with the trophy fron 2005, an ofcourse, the thing they ask--"What will it take to make Chicago a Sox town?"--of course ESPN can't let the Sox bask in their own glory.
And how does Ozzie rsepond? "It will never happen no matter if we win 200 World Series."--Thanks for the good national exposure Oz. I guess he doesn't know the true situation....
If we are consistently a playoff team, the numbers will be close to even, but the PASSION will favor us.
Everybody knows it will always be a Cubs town, I applaud Ozzie for being honest. Moving on to the best part of the interview, Ozzie was asked what he would have done if he was not in Baseball and he said that he would have been a BULL FIGHTER!:rolling:

crazyozzie02
02-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Everybody knows it will always be a Cubs town, I applaud Ozzie for being honest. Moving on to the best part of the interview, Ozzie was asked what he would have done if he was not in Baseball and he said that he would have been a BULL FIGHTER!:rolling:

the sad part is i could probably see that. i would be crazy nuts, but i would pay money to see it

MincHiaPettito
02-19-2007, 03:25 AM
The day I went to the Auto Show the Sox stuff I saw won out easily, like 20-2! The Sox cant win though with this media bias. The Cubune Co is pretty powerful. If we ever draw more there will be articles about us having bandwagon fans or will take some isolated incident that is bound to happen with more people and blow it up. Its a lose lose. I have no facts to back it up but it would be hard to convince me that the Cubs scalping service does not buy a ton of its tickets and skew their attendance numbers or sold out records. I would say the only chance is if they are sold.

I think if you ignore the media and just to talk to people in general (well at least my area), it is fine right now. I think another big part is the Sox fans in the media, they hurt more than help. All they do is point out and continue bad stereotypes. It is sad, but it seems like North is the best one, he sounded like the only sane one on Chicago Tribune Live last Friday, very scary!

RadioheadRocks
02-19-2007, 03:52 AM
A better response to the question would have been: "perhaps when media tools such as yourself stop perpetuating the CUB TOWN myth..." :cool:

soxfan80
02-19-2007, 04:18 AM
If anything, It's a Bears town.

But if the Sox remain contenders, you'll see something similar to Southern California. The Angels draw 3 million fans consistently now, and the Dodgers are struggling to retain/regain market share.

ScrewTheCubs
02-19-2007, 04:30 AM

But if the Sox remain contenders, you'll see something similar to Southern California. The Angels draw 3 million fans consistently now, and the Dodgers are struggling to retain/regain market share.

Certainly fans will shift with the success of different teams so it is true that things will change as the Sox continue to be successful, but sports fans in California take the term 'fair weather fan' to a whole new level.:rolleyes: Take college football, how strong was USC's fanbase ten years ago compared to today, they probably struggled to fill half of their own stadium a half dozen times a year. Much as I dislike the Cubs, at least they have a very loyal following, they're the lovable losers as they say and they have a large fanbase despite sucking since the dawn of man. For a lot of Cubs 'fans' it's more of a social event/club and how the team performs is secondary to many of these 'fans', whereas with Sox fans they're more the true fans of the sport, at least that's how I see it.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Everybody knows it will always be a Cubs town, I applaud Ozzie for being honest.

It has been a Sox town before and will be a Sox town again.

Iwritecode
02-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I have no facts to back it up but it would be hard to convince me that the Cubs scalping service does not buy a ton of its tickets and skew their attendance numbers or sold out records.

Towards the end of last year they had a number of games that were considered "sold out". The only problem was that about half their fans came dressed as empty seats. They counted the number of tickets sold. Not the number of people through the turnstyles.

Whether this had anything to do with their ticket scalping business I don't know...

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 10:05 AM
They counted the number of tickets sold. Not the number of people through the turnstyles.

The Sox do the same thing (and I believe all other teams do as well).

oeo
02-19-2007, 10:08 AM

But the Sox don't buy the tickets like the Cubs do. A lot of those "sold" tickets at Wrigley, were not bought by fans at all.

Iwritecode
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM

Do they? That's one thing I can never remember. I thought the 2 leagues counted differently at one time. Either way, I remember people on here complaining that they'd hear Pat and Ron talk about another "sold out" crowd and then they'd flip on the TV and see that it definitely wasn't a sell out.

A slightly related note, I believe that when the Indians had that 5 year? sell out streak that the owners had to buy a couple hundred tickets to keep the streak alive a few times.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 10:16 AM
But the Sox don't buy the tickets like the Cubs do. A lot of those "sold" tickets at Wrigley, were not bought by fans at all.

I was under the impression that tickets sold by Wrigley Field Premium Tickets were given to that company by the Cubs, not sold to them. As such, the ticket would only count as sold if someone in fact bought it. Is this the case?

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Do they? That's one thing I can never remember. I thought the 2 leagues counted differently at one time. Either way, I remember people on here complaining that they'd hear Pat and Ron talk about another "sold out" crowd and then they'd flip on the TV and see that it definitely wasn't a sell out.

The leagues used to count them differently but I believe they all count tickets sold now. I know the Sox definitely do it.

oeo
02-19-2007, 10:17 AM

A slightly related note, I believe that when the Indians had that 5 year? sell out streak that the owners had to buy a couple hundred tickets to keep the streak alive a few times.

Tickets sold is still accurate, in most cases. If the tickets are sold, that's a sell out. It's different when the organization is buying those tickets, which is what the Flubbers do.

oeo
02-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I was under the impression that tickets sold by Wrigley Field Premium Tickets were given to that company by the Cubs, not sold to them. As such, the ticket would only count as sold if someone in fact bought it. Is this the case?

Oh, I don't know. You're probably right; this makes more sense. I just always thought that those cheap-skates counted buying their own tickets as sold.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh, I don't know. You're probably right; this makes more sense. I just always thought that those cheap-skates counted buying their own tickets as sold.

After a bit more research, it appears as if they are in fact sold at face to WFPT which in turn sell them at inflated prices. The legal loophole is that Tribune Co. set up WFPT, not the Cubs but the end result is the same; face-value tickets are held back by the club and the only way fans can get them is to pay inflated values. Heck, there are signs at the ticket windows for sold out games letting people know they can get tickets at WFPT.

And since the tickets are sold to WFPT and not given to them, they would count toward attendance.

jackbrohamer
02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Why are so many Sox fans so eager to agree that Chicago's a "Cub town," whatever that means? It's only a Cubs town if you let it be.

rdivaldi
02-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Why are so many Sox fans so eager to agree that Chicago's a "Cub town," whatever that means? It's only a Cubs town if you let it be.

Really when you have two franchises in any city it can never be "Team A's town" or "Team B's town". There will always be a significant portion of fans that will never cheer for the Sox or cheer for the Cubs. What you really have is just a majority of fans in the city who prefer one team over the other. The "Cubs town" or "Sox town" statements are just more media sensationalism.

Jurr
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Really when you have two franchises in any city it can never be "Team A's town" or "Team B's town". There will always be a significant portion of fans that will never cheer for the Sox or cheer for the Cubs. What you really have is just a majority of fans in the city who prefer one team over the other. The "Cubs town" or "Sox town" statements are just more media sensationalism.
Ummm...here's my two cents.

I've been to a number of Cubs games, as have most of you.

We have seen the fans at those games.

If Chicago becomes a "Sox town", supposedly that means that those fans start making their way down to 35th street.

I don't want those people ruining my experience at the park.

As long as the Sox fill the stadium to keep a competitive payroll and they are winning, who cares? They'll get plenty of media coverage if they're in the playoffs and are winning rings. Period.

oeo
02-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Ummm...here's my two cents.

I've been to a number of Cubs games, as have most of you.

We have seen the fans at those games.

If Chicago becomes a "Sox town", supposedly that means that those fans start making their way down to 35th street.

I don't want those people ruining my experience at the park.

As long as the Sox fill the stadium to keep a competitive payroll and they are winning, who cares? They'll get plenty of media coverage if they're in the playoffs and are winning rings. Period.

I don't think so. If Chicago becomes a Sox town, it's not something that will happen overnight. It will be from gaining the newest generation of fans, not Cubs fans suddenly caring about winning and coming to the South Side. So I don't think you have to worry about the atmosphere changing. Of course you'll have a few bad apples, but so does everyone else; the Cubs just have a majority of bad apples.

Jurr
02-19-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't think so. If Chicago becomes a Sox town, it's not something that will happen overnight. It will be from gaining the newest generation of fans, not Cubs fans suddenly caring about winning and coming to the South Side. So I don't think you have to worry about the atmosphere changing. Of course you'll have a few bad apples, but so does everyone else; the Cubs just have a majority of bad apples.
Oh, I see what you're saying. That's a given. The children who watched the World Series victory a couple of years ago will be left with a strong imprint in their minds. I'm almost certain that the Sox picked up a ton of future season ticket holders with that performance.

DumpJerry
02-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Chicago will never be a "Cubs" town or a "Sox" town. Like some of the above posters stated there too many true believers for each team.

Ignore game attendance figures. The Sox don't count those comps they hand out to military, straight A students, WSI mod staff, etc....the Cubs don't count the comps in their attendance figures.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
the Cubs count the comps in their attendance figures.

Are you sure about that? I hadn't heard that before.

vegyrex
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM

That's how I feel. I'll be more than satisfied if the Sox make the play offs regularly and get good crowds at the park. Even if we're constantly behind the cubs it just won't matter. 2.9 million to see a winning team beats 3.3 million watching a team that finishes in last place a lot.

DumpJerry
02-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Are you sure about that? I hadn't heard that before.
TYPO on my part. They DON'T count comps on the North Side.

areilly
02-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh, I see what you're saying. That's a given. The children who watched the World Series victory a couple of years ago will be left with a strong imprint in their minds. I'm almost certain that the Sox picked up a ton of future season ticket holders with that performance.

I know it's not nearly the same, but the Sox teams of the early 90's really sealed the deal for me. The Sox were good year in and year out; the Cubs, 1989 notwithstanding, were not. And I, as an impressionable preteen, was never quite the same for it.

Plus those new-design black-and-white uniforms were so much cooler than anything that came in Cubbie blue.

Hitmen77
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Agreed. As long as there's enough of the market for the Sox (and there certainly appears to be), then I don't believe in the "Cubs town" label. Actually for many years, the Sox worst enemy in drawing fans wasn't the Cubs, but themselves with many years of bad PR moves.

I think this is an important point that alot of people miss. 90% of current Sox fans and Cub fans will never switch to the other side. But the Chicago market is more dynamic than people think. There is a lot of potential new fans always out there in the form of the next wave of youngsters getting interested in baseball. Many come from households without a strong baseball affiliation and are out there for the taking by either team. The Sox winning it the '05 World Series has won over a ton of new fans and the Sox will see the benefits of that for years to come (especially if they can return to the post season again this year).

goon
02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I know it's not nearly the same, but the Sox teams of the early 90's really sealed the deal for me. The Sox were good year in and year out; the Cubs, 1989 notwithstanding, were not. And I, as an impressionable preteen, was never quite the same for it.

Plus those new-design black-and-white uniforms were so much cooler than anything that came in Cubbie blue.

yeah, i mean there are several things that could have, should have already turned the tide the sox way and in reality, especially after the 2006 season, the sox have been doing very well publicly. however, the sox have a new stadium with better food, better parking, more room... won the 4th most games in the 90's, won a world series in 2005, consistently put a competitor out on the field.

however, until the sox surround the stadium with a bunch of yuppie bars, overpriced condos they just won't make as much money or sell as many seats as the cubs. i will say this though, i bet the sox sell more new era 5950 hats.:tongue:

who gives a ****, we're still better.

QCIASOXFAN
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I was hoping for a little more Bill Riding talk out of this thread.:redneck

The Dude
02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
It has been a Sox town before and will be a Sox town again.

Come on Miller, it's always been a Packer town and will continue to be!

santo=dorf
02-19-2007, 07:31 PM

The most popular team in Chicago is the Bears.
The most popular sport in Chicago is baseball.
The Cubs are the more popular baseball team in Chicago which leads some people to believe this is a "Cubs town."

palehozenychicty
02-19-2007, 07:58 PM
yeah, i mean there are several things that could have, should have already turned the tide the sox way and in reality, especially after the 2006 season, the sox have been doing very well publicly. however, the sox have a new stadium with better food, better parking, more room... won the 4th most games in the 90's, won a world series in 2005, consistently put a competitor out on the field.

however, until the sox surround the stadium with a bunch of yuppie bars, overpriced condos they just won't make as much money or sell as many seats as the cubs. i will say this though, i bet the sox sell more new era 5950 hats.:tongue:

who gives a ****, we're still better.

Trust me, being in NYC, I can't count the number of Sox hats that I see on the streets. So they can chew on that. :tongue:

Madscout
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
There are two ways to make it not a Cubs town.
1. Tear down the urinal. No history factor anymore. Hell, I would even like watching a game there, if there weren't drunken frat boys standing up all the time and five New Yorkers ordering everything from vendors and always asking me the score (this actually happened when I took my dad(he's a fan) to a Cubs game before he moved to Florida).

2. The trib sells the cubs.

SABRSox
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM

I guess you don't live in LA, because the Dodgers drew nearly 4 million fans this year (the Angels about 350,000 less than that), and the Dodgers wrestled away the lucrative KCAL television contract from the Angels. All Angel home games are now available only on cable television (and occasionally Fox).