PDA

View Full Version : Piniella tells NY Daily News "Cubs will play in October"

Fenway
02-18-2007, 02:56 PM
"I like this team and all I'm gonna say is, we're going to be playing in October this year," Piniella said. Cubbie fans can count on that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/498426p-420182c.html

Scottiehaswheels
02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20021104wiq.shtml sounds familiar

VenturaFan23
02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Whoa! Well because the NL is so bad he might be right. But Joe Namath and Mark Messier he is NOT!

The Racehorse
02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Sweet Lou establishing a swag with the Lovable Losers. Hey, whatever.

MarySwiss
02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Oh, good grief! The only thing I hate about Spring Training getting underway is you start hearing all this kind of junk.

And it is always especially awful out here. All you hear is Cubs, Cubs, Cubs. It seems like about every day the Republic runs interviews with Cubs fans, all yammering about how this is THE year. And we're still more than a week away from actual games!

I can sort of understand why the Sox don't get a lot of coverage in Phoenix; after all, they do train in Tucson (and although the paper is called the Arizona Republic, the truth is it concentrates most of its coverage in the Phoenix area). But you just don't hear nearly as much about the Angels, Mariners, Brewers, Giants, etc., as you do about the Cubs. I know there are a ton of ex-Chicagoans living here, but please!

Oh, well. Rant over. I'll just grit my teeth and look forward to that day--probably around mid-June--when the Cubs are locked in a desperate battle for last place and the Sox are kicking everyone's asses. :smile:

02-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Lou is right.

They will be playing in October.

http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=306851336&mid=86216

MarySwiss
02-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Lou is right.

Now THAT'S funny! :D:

MincHiaPettito
02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
he forgot to add with themselves

thomas35forever
02-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Lou is right.

:kneeslap:

DumpJerry
02-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Lou is off to a great start. He needs to check the Cubs' schedule. Their last game is September 30th.

caulfield12
02-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Maybe he was expecting a ton of rainouts to be made up, forcing the Cubs into early October play.

jenn2080
02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Lou is right.

:rolling:

That is damn funny. About as funny as Lou making soon to be broken promises to his fans.

WizardsofOzzie
02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Lou is right.

I was thinking they were going to be organizing a charity T-Ball game for October but then i realized he meant the MLB playoffs :D:

AJ Hellraiser
02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Not really a bold statement because it's the NL.. 82 wins can make the playoffs, though that doesn't signify anything more than an average baseball team...

I know baseball is a weird game and anything can happen over the course of a season, but it still bothers me beyond beliefe that an 83-win team won the World Series last season... I mean our SOX faced better competition all season an won 7 more games than the champions, yet finished third in our own freakin' division...

I know the wild card has done great things for the game in terms of letting 4 extra teams in the playoffs, thus keeping many more teams competitive which in turn makes more fans happy... but this is one serious downfall.. you can coast for 162 games and then get lucky/catch breaks/turn it on for 2-3 weeks and be champions..

bigfoot
02-18-2007, 09:09 PM
"I like this team and all I'm gonna say is, we're going to be playing in October this year," Piniella said. Cubbie fans can count on that."

This is just Lou letting all the blue kool-aid drinkers know that Jeff Samardzija has reneged on his promise not to play football.

Whitesox029
02-18-2007, 09:37 PM
The Cubs are really building themselves up this year after a 96-loss season. If they miss the playoffs in '07, the "Cubbie fans" might revolt.

UserNameBlank
02-18-2007, 10:13 PM
The Cubs are really building themselves up this year after a 96-loss season. If they miss the playoffs in '07, the "Cubbie fans" might revolt.

Not unless they give up the Cubbie Koolaid...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vx4j25uB4_LntM:http://bouncerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/0418062354.jpg (http://bouncerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/0418062354.jpg)

itsnotrequired
02-18-2007, 10:20 PM
blah, blah, blah...

ondafarm
02-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I hope so, cause they'll be easy prey in the playoffs.

Cuck the Fubs
02-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Lou's no dummy.......

With the sorry state of the NL Central, they very could well be playing in October.

Not past the 1st round though, so no need to panic.

bestkosher
02-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Well with how all the talk is of how Lou's is such a good planner. Maybe he is already planning of playing a rain delay game on October 1st.

soxwon
02-19-2007, 12:05 AM

if their wearing cardinal jerseys!!!

IndianWhiteSox
02-19-2007, 02:59 AM

:rolleyes::bs::kukoo::smokin::anon::whatever:

MrRoboto83
02-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Lou is already off to a rocket start to his permant retirement.

oeo
02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Lou's no dummy.......

With the sorry state of the NL Central, they very could well be playing in October.

Not past the 1st round though, so no need to panic.

The Cubs are just as mediocre as the Cardinals, Astros, Brewers, and Reds. That's a bold move saying that your mediocrity is better than others' mediocrity.

I really can't wait for the first time Piniella loses it. What's the over/under on that?

southside rocks
02-19-2007, 10:30 AM

They're already revolting.

AuroraSoxFan
02-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I know as the new skipper he has to create some energy with fans and all. Especially coming off a season that was straight pathetic. But he really should have stopped short of assuring a playoff spot. That team still has some big holes (ie statring and relief pitching, and below average defense). By running his mouth like that all he is doing is setting himself up for a slaying by local/national media and setting himself up for a lot of turmoil on that side of town. If he cannot back up his statements he is going to jackknife his managerial career big time. Should be fun to watch it all blow up in his face.

AuroraSoxFan
02-19-2007, 11:36 AM
The Cubs are just as mediocre as the Cardinals, Astros, Brewers, and Reds. That's a bold move saying that your mediocrity is better than others' mediocrity.

I really can't wait for the first time Piniella loses it. What's the over/under on that?

If i were a bookie I'd put the over/under at May 15 or so. If it were there I'd take a gamble and give him the over. He should be a little mello at 1st since he has been out of uniform for a while.

soxfan13
02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Take a look at what all the teams in the NL Central have done and the Cubs actually have a very good shot at the playoffs. The division is very weak to begin with and other then the Cubs no team has improved themselves. Yes all you will say the overpaid for this and over paid for that but the truth is they addressed their needs. They picked up some starters that in WSI standards arent great but they will eat innings and keep their club in the game. They have a decent bullpen and the offense could honestly be one of the better ones around with a healthy Derek Lee.

AuroraSoxFan
02-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Take a look at what all the teams in the NL Central have done and the Cubs actually have a very good shot at the playoffs. The division is very weak to begin with and other then the Cubs no team has improved themselves. Yes all you will say the overpaid for this and over paid for that but the truth is they addressed their needs. They picked up some starters that in WSI standards arent great but they will eat innings and keep their club in the game. They have a decent bullpen and the offense could honestly be one of the better ones around with a healthy Derek Lee.

I agree that their offense will probably hit the tar out of the ball. Also agree that the entire division is pretty bad. I really do not think they have the pitching to get it done, but in that sorry division anything's possible. I just think "sweet Lou" should have chosen his words a little more wisely.

oeo
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Their offense is what will keep them in games, not their pitching. That team is built around an offense. Offense slumps a lot more than pitching would. So they'll go through their streaks of "greatness", I'm sure, but they will also hit a lot of bumps in the road.

Guaranteeing a playoff berth when your team isn't a clear cut favorite, is what the problem is. Yeah, they may play in one of the weakest divisions ever; yeah, they have an offense that will hit a lot of homeruns...but they're still no better than the other mediocre teams in that division.

Vernam
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
That team is built around an offense. Offense slumps a lot more than pitching would. So they'll go through their streaks of "greatness", I'm sure, but they will also hit a lot of bumps in the road.According to Sully today, their bats are so potent that bunting is obsolete. I prefer your theory.:cool:

Guaranteeing a playoff berth when your team isn't a clear cut favorite, is what the problem is. Kind of strange that Lou's bold assertion hasn't been reported in the local press, so far as I can tell. Whatever. It cracks me up that he refers to his own team as the "Cubbies."

Vernam

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-19-2007, 01:53 PM
It cracks me up that he refers to his own team as the "Cubbies."

Vernam

Therein lies the proof of the "Cubbie Blue Kool Aid" I V.
Or, the Lovable Loser Lobotomy.

areilly
02-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with Lou's statement, but I'd like to add three words to it:

One.

And.

Done.

Sure the Cubs don't have any pitching. Who in that division does? I'll give them, on paper, the NL Central and will then laugh as they get brutalized by whoever they cross paths with in the NLDS.

2007 Cubs = store-bought version of 2000 Sox

vegyrex
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
According to Sully today, their bats are so potent that bunting is obsolete. I prefer your theory.:cool:

Back in '91 when the cubs got George Bell alot of people thought the cubs were the second coming of murders row. They had Bell, Dawson, Sandberg, and Grace. That ol' baseball prognosticator, Larry King :cool:, said the cubs line up was going to hurt a lot of people, but their pitching staff was going to play like santa and give up a lot of gifts. :D:

Whitesox029
02-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree with Lou's statement, but I'd like to add three words to it:

One.

And.

Done.

Sure the Cubs don't have any pitching. Who in that division does? I'll give them, on paper, the NL Central and will then laugh as they get brutalized by whoever they cross paths with in the NLDS.

2007 Cubs = store-bought version of 2000 Sox
Remember that the 2000 Sox had the best record in the AL. If the Cubs are the wild card, they will face the Mets and lose miserably in three games. If they win the division and somehow win in the first round, they will lose in the second round. To the Mets. New York is the only NL team who can guarantee themselves and their fans a playoff spot.

palehozenychicty
02-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Remember that the 2000 Sox had the best record in the AL. If the Cubs are the wild card, they will face the Mets and lose miserably in three games. If they win the division and somehow win in the first round, they will lose in the second round. To the Mets. New York is the only NL team who can guarantee themselves and their fans a playoff spot.

I think that is far from guaranteed. The Mets have a great, versatile lineup. But if you're counting on El Duque as a No. 2 :o: , then you have serious pitching issues, and their bullpen may get taxed. The Phillies' lineup doesn't have as much power, but they have comparable speed and a superior starting staff. Their bullpen may do them in unless they get a taker for Jon Lieber. That race will be a good one as the season unfolds.

esbrechtel
02-19-2007, 07:49 PM
I think that is far from guaranteed. The Mets have a great, versatile lineup. But if you're counting on El Duque as a No. 2 :o: , then you have serious pitching issues, and their bullpen may get taxed. The Phillies' lineup doesn't have as much power, but they have comparable speed and a superior starting staff. Their bullpen may do them in unless they get a taker for Jon Lieber. That race will be a good one as the season unfolds.
so true! I think the Phillies will have a good season...

Soxfanspcu11
02-19-2007, 09:36 PM
The flubs will not make the playoffs, I'm certain of that.

Then the stupidest fans in baseball will cry, like they do every year.

The sun will rise the next day, and it will be just like Groundhog Day for the Flubby "faithful".

I LOVE the fact that they think they are going to be good, it will make it that much more painful when they are out of it by July.

areilly
02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
The flubs will not make the playoffs, I'm certain of that.

Then the stupidest fans in baseball will cry, like they do every year.

The sun will rise the next day, and it will be just like Groundhog Day for the Flubby "faithful".

I LOVE the fact that they think they are going to be good, it will make it that much more painful when they are out of it by July.

And who exactly do you foresee being so much better in the joke that is the NLC?

oeo
02-19-2007, 11:26 PM
And who exactly do you foresee being so much better in the joke that is the NLC?

I must ask...why are you so defensive of the Cubs?

Who will win that division? No one knows, it could be the Cubs, it could be the Pirates, but the Cubs are no less of a joke than any of those other teams. Just because they play in a bad division, does not mean they have a great shot of winning it...they're still not a very good team. If they had a good team, then I could see where you're coming from, but they're not favorites, not even close.

Fenway
02-19-2007, 11:29 PM
The Cubs could win the World Series in 2007

but so could Tampa Bay

it will be 99 and counting come October

UserNameBlank
02-19-2007, 11:38 PM

I agree. Philly and Arizona by far have the best starting staffs in the NL. Plus you have to love the Phillies infield with Howard, Rollins, and Utley. Phillies = NL East champs.

areilly
02-19-2007, 11:40 PM
I must ask...why are you so defensive of the Cubs?

Who will win that division? No one knows, it could be the Cubs, it could be the Pirates, but the Cubs are no less of a joke than any of those other teams. Just because they play in a bad division, does not mean they have a great shot of winning it...they're still not a very good team. If they had a good team, then I could see where you're coming from, but they're not favorites, not even close.

It's not that I think the Cubs have that great of a team, it's that I don't think they especially need one to win that division. I hate the Cubs and I want to see them fail as much as (if not more than) anyone else around here, but I see no way that even a one-dimensional team such as theirs can't take that sorry, sorry division.

Let's look at their competition. The Cardinals have two solid hitters that will stay off the DL and one solid starting pitcher. The Brewers have maybe a prayer in hell. The Astros took some huge steps back that they're not going to make up this year. Then what: the Reds? The Pirates? Please.

The Cubs don't have a good team. Not even close. What they do have is an offense that can pound the rest of the division into submission but will crap its pants once it gets shut down, which is not going to be done by any of those other five clown colleges known collectively as the NL Central.

And yes, I hope they all prove me wrong. In fact, I'd love it.

TDog
02-20-2007, 12:16 PM
These statements don't come with a money-back guarantee.

I've found that, excluding situations with teams such as recent Braves squads that had a stranglehold on their division, fans shouldn't get excited about their team's chances in a weak division. I expect the NL Central to be just as competitive as the AL Central, although the quality of baseball will be higher in the DH league. I hope the White Sox preval in their league, but I doubt the Cubs will prevail in theirs.

The 2005 season seems to have taught the wrong lesson to Cubs fans. They came away seeing it was possible for a Chicago team to win a World Series without the event bringing an end to civilization as we know it. They also seem to believe that because the White Sox did it, it must be easy. It wasn't

The White Sox didn't buy the World Series title in 2005. There were teams that tried to buy the World Series title in 2005 (maybe one of them even offered Jermaine Dye more money than the Sox did), but they didn't win. In fact, the Sox spent more money ahd had better talent in 2006, and they didn't win.

Winning a baseball championship isn't easy. That's why it's so special. Winning a division isn't easy, and there is more competition for the wild card. The Cubs faithful might believe management has assembled an unstoppable force, but a few Februaries ago, no one could hit the Cubs' new free-agent closer, LaTroy Hawkins.

If you're a Cubs fan, getting to the World Series still qualifies as a "wildest dream."

minutia
02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Lou is right.

That is exactly what I was thinking but since the NL Central is so week they could have a chance.

TheVulture
02-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Maybe he's predicting rain in Cincinnati 9/30.

jabrch
02-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Dewey Beats Truman!

Fenway
02-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Dewey Beats Truman!

McCormick must roll over in his grave hourly over that as for all the Tribune has done, that headline is the thing they are most known for outside of Chicago

http://cla.calpoly.edu/cla/legacies/rsimon/Memoirin%20revision%20March%200_files/image138.jpg

RadioheadRocks
02-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Lou is right.

Or maybe... Yahtzee, Monopoly, Parcheesi, Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit, the possibilities are endless!!! :D:

peeonwrigley
02-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Or maybe... Yahtzee, Monopoly, Parcheesi, Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit, the possibilities are endless!!! :D:

http://www.fanzz.com/ProductImages/29442.jpg

RadioheadRocks
02-25-2007, 02:02 AM
http://www.fanzz.com/ProductImages/29442.jpg

I like ours better
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000MGN02C.01-A37T6RRS00R0TT._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000MGN02C/ref=dp_image_0/102-0933029-9142538?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods)

hey did they really put Kerry Wood on Park Place???????

PennStater98r
02-26-2007, 02:07 PM

I always thought Lou had a good sense of humor.