PDA

View Full Version : Nick Carfardo's AL Preview entering spring training

Fenway
02-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Not sure why but Carfardo puts the White Sox in "the rest" catagory as he looked harder at Boston, NYY, Oakland, Seattle, Detroit and Baltimore

on the White Sox he writes

Chicago: The pitching looks different without workhorse Freddy Garcia (traded to Philadelphia) and young Brandon McCarthy (traded to Texas). After Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez, Jose Contreras, and Mark Buehrle, spring training will go far in determining who else winds up in the rotation. There's also quite an outfield competition centered around Brian Anderson and Darin Erstad. Watch the shortstop situation and Juan Uribe's legal problems.

A look at the American League; (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/02/18/sox_yankees_are_an_unmatched_pair/?page=full)

PicktoCLick72
02-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I really think it kills some of these East Coast sports writers that the AL Central is eclipsing the East as the most competitive and strongest division in baseball. They will write anything( ie. Baltimore being a top contender) to convince themselves of this.

Fenway
02-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I really think it kills some of these East Coast sports writers that the AL Central is eclipsing the East as the most competitive and strongest division in baseball. They will write anything( ie. Baltimore being a top contender) to convince themselves of this.

can't argue that point look at the way he leads the column
The Yankees and the Red Sox are the center of the baseball universe. They are the most watched teams in spring training, and most of the time they deliver dynamic story lines. This year is no exception.

balke
02-18-2007, 03:28 PM
The Sox are in theory bringing back a weaker team than last season to the toughest division in baseball. That's what it looks like to a sportswriter at a glance. Pods was horrible last season, and now he's not even starting the season off. Anderson was horrible with the bat last season, and is fighting for CF. Uribe's bat sucks and his glove might not even be available due to legal problems.

That's at a glance. As Sox fans we know our starting four all have high ceilings of talent and could all be aces at their best. We've seen Jenks, Sisco, Macdougal, Thornton, pitch and are hopeful the bullpen will dominate with the fireballers. We know Erstad is going to help with OF depth and that he could bounce back for a great season.

This team did add some good depth, but they are counting a lot on the unknown but not too unlikely. Floyd could be a good #5, Aardsma could be our surprise out of the pen. Perhaps Pods gets his speed back and becomes our deadly pinch runner on days he swaps out with Erstad in left. Anderson could break out and hit a consistant .300 at the plate with great D. Dye, Konerko, Thome, Crede, A.J., and Iguchi could all do their thing one more time and carry this team through a lot of games with their bats. I have a lot of faith in this team if the starting four can come out firing. I think they can actually rollover the Central a bit if they come out firing. There's a lot of pop, some great D, a potentially great bullpen, and great names like Cintron, Pods/Erstad, Hall, Mackowiak coming off the bench. I'm pumped to see how they play.

I'm very excited to see what this outfield will play like if it goes Erstad-Anderson-Dye. That's some great D out there.

caulfield12
02-18-2007, 04:16 PM
The Sox are in theory bringing back a weaker team than last season to the toughest division in baseball. That's what it looks like to a sportswriter at a glance. Pods was horrible last season, and now he's not even starting the season off. Anderson was horrible with the bat last season, and is fighting for CF. Uribe's bat sucks and his glove might not even be available due to legal problems.

That's at a glance. As Sox fans we know our starting four all have high ceilings of talent and could all be aces at their best. We've seen Jenks, Sisco, Macdougal, Thornton, pitch and are hopeful the bullpen will dominate with the fireballers. We know Erstad is going to help with OF depth and that he could bounce back for a great season.

This team did add some good depth, but they are counting a lot on the unknown but not too unlikely. Floyd could be a good #5, Aardsma could be our surprise out of the pen. Perhaps Pods gets his speed back and becomes our deadly pinch runner on days he swaps out with Erstad in left. Anderson could break out and hit a consistant .300 at the plate with great D. Dye, Konerko, Thome, Crede, A.J., and Iguchi could all do their thing one more time and carry this team through a lot of games with their bats. I have a lot of faith in this team if the starting four can come out firing. I think they can actually rollover the Central a bit if they come out firing. There's a lot of pop, some great D, a potentially great bullpen, and great names like Cintron, Pods/Erstad, Hall, Mackowiak coming off the bench. I'm pumped to see how they play.

I'm very excited to see what this outfield will play like if it goes Erstad-Anderson-Dye. That's some great D out there.

I would be elated if BA had a .275-280 average over the next two seasons. I'm not counting on much more than .255-.260 though.

Oblong
02-18-2007, 08:49 PM
He said that Bonderman wins on "guts and his bulldog mentality".

That's funny, I thought it was his fastball, pitch location, and breaking ball. I hate when sports writers try to be psychologists. If Bondermand didn't shave his head and wasn't a little stocky, this guy wouldn't say that.

ondafarm
02-18-2007, 10:58 PM
A pretty conventional "analysis".

The Racehorse
02-19-2007, 08:50 AM
The Yankees and the Red Sox are the center of the baseball universe. They are the most watched teams in spring training, and most of the time they deliver dynamic story lines. This year is no exception.

What a freakin' snob.

oeo
02-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Why be a writer if you're just going to take a glance? I swear that must be the easiest job ever. You don't have to do any research, you just write whatever is on your mind, and you get paid for it. Who cares if it's right...just take a glance and start writing.

Actually, I'm wrong...sports radio is the easiest job (you don't even have to make the effort to write, all you have to do is blab), this is second.

WizardsofOzzie
02-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Why be a writer if you're just going to take a glance. I swear that must be the easiest job ever. You don't have to do any research, you just write whatever is on your mind, and you get paid for it. Who cares if it's right...just take a glance and start writing.

Actually, I'm wrong...sports radio is the easiest job (you don't even have to make the effort to write, all you have to do is blab), this is second.
:moron

"How dare you call my job easy. In fact, my job is so difficult I'm taking the next 3 months off to recover from the extensive research I've done"

itsnotrequired
02-19-2007, 10:54 AM
:moron

"How dare you call my job easy. In fact, my job is so difficult I'm taking the next 3 months off to recover from the extensive research I've done"

:rolling:

Gavin
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Worth repeating.

SBSoxFan
02-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Yes, but do those dynamic story lines have anything to do with actually playing baseball?