PDA

View Full Version : A Keith Foulke memory

StatManDu
02-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Keith Foulke, who retired Thursday, will obviously go down as one of the great closers in White Sox history.

His 100 saves – the third best total in club annals -- are a testament to that.

But it was in his first job with the Sox – as a set up man – that “Foulkie” delivered what I consider his most memorable moment as a pivotal part of one of the most surprising campaigns in team history.
The date was April 19, 2000 and the White Sox were playing the Seattle Mariners in a sparsely attended, rain-plagued affair on a “getaway” day at “new” Comiskey Park.

The right-hander with the deadly changed entered the game in the seventh inning in his role as the “lead-in” to Bobby Howry.

It took some time for Foulke to convince manager Jerry Manuel that he was the right man for the closer’s job. Howry opened 2000 as the “go-to” guy in the Sox pen with Foulke serving as the set-up man. No one questioned this strategy since Howry had saved 28 games and Foulke whiffed 123 batters in 105.1 innings with a 2.22 ERA in those roles in 1999.

Rain and threatening skies had emptied the park of most of its 8,425 spectators when Foulke surrendered a double to Stan Javier to start the frame.

With the Sox holding a 4-2 lead, the tying run stepped to the plate in the form of the daunting Alex Rodriguez.

What happened then was one of the great pitcher-hitter battles I have ever witnessed. I was lucky enough to have a “bird’s eye” view of this showdown from behind home plate.

The stubborn Foulke and the determined Rodriguez went head-ti-head for 12 pitches with neither man refusing to relent. The at bat included nine tension-mounting foul balls with at least five coming in succession.

Foulke finally emerged as the conqueror in this donnybrook when he got “A-Rod” to ground out to Jose Valentin at shortstop.

Javier moved to third on the play and things got hairy again when Foulke walked Edgar Martinez. Foulke then came through again when he induced long-time Sox killer John Olerud to bounce into a rare and niftly-executed 3-6-1 double play. When Foulke gloved the final out in that sequence, he delivered a modest fist pump while heading back to the dugout. Foulke knew immediately what he had accomplished.

The Sox added a run in the bottom of the frame and Foulke turned in a 1-2-3 eighth before giving way to Howry. The Mariners went quietly in the ninth and the Sox had their 5-2 win. Sean Lowe, whom Foulke replaced, got the victory while Howry earned the save.

The triumph was an important one as the Sox moved into first place for good in the A.L. Central. The team would be outright holders of the division’s top spot for all but three of the season’s remaining days.

While Foulke was not rewarded statistically for his effort against Rodriguez, I am convinced that the sequence in which Foulke prevailed and that seventh inning was a turning point in the season.
It didn’t take long after that for Manuel to give Foulke the full-time closer’s job. It could be argued that Foulke was the Most Valuable Player of the Sox 2000 Central Division title team. In that gratifying season, Foulke went 3-1 with a 2.97 ERA and 34 saves while giving up just 66 hits and striking out 91 in 88 innings.

soxinem1
02-18-2007, 01:47 PM
I remember the game starting the thread, but there was another game against KC that year which was a real adrenaline boost.

I beleive the White Sox had a one-run lead.

Foulke was pitching with the bags full and a 3-0 or 3-1 count on the hitter. Then it was foul ball city until the hitter nailed a shot up the middle with Jose Valentin waiting there for it, making it a 6-3 DP. End of inning.

palehosepub
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I always felt Keith was a bit underappreciated here, kind of like Bobby Thigpen. One of my most vivid memories of Keith (unfortunately) was when he got clocked by I believe Tigers coach Juan Samuel during that pivotal Sox Tigers fight in 2000. Keith sported a shiner for a week. Keith was always a stand up guy when dealing with White Sox fans.

MDF3530
02-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I remember he was the pitcher Bevington brought in to walk a couple of guys because he pulled the starter without having anyone warming up in the bullpen.

Brian26
02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Keith Foulke, who retired Thursday, will obviously go down as one of the great closers in White Sox history.

His 100 saves – the third best total in club annals -- are a testament to that.

But it was in his first job with the Sox – as a set up man – that “Foulkie” delivered what I consider his most memorable moment as a pivotal part of one of the most surprising campaigns in team history.
The date was April 19, 2000 and the White Sox were playing the Seattle Mariners in a sparsely attended, rain-plagued affair on a “getaway” day at “new” Comiskey Park.

The right-hander with the deadly changed entered the game in the seventh inning in his role as the “lead-in” to Bobby Howry.

It took some time for Foulke to convince manager Jerry Manuel that he was the right man for the closer’s job. Howry opened 2000 as the “go-to” guy in the Sox pen with Foulke serving as the set-up man. No one questioned this strategy since Howry had saved 28 games and Foulke whiffed 123 batters in 105.1 innings with a 2.22 ERA in those roles in 1999.

Rain and threatening skies had emptied the park of most of its 8,425 spectators when Foulke surrendered a double to Stan Javier to start the frame.

With the Sox holding a 4-2 lead, the tying run stepped to the plate in the form of the daunting Alex Rodriguez.

What happened then was one of the great pitcher-hitter battles I have ever witnessed. I was lucky enough to have a “bird’s eye” view of this showdown from behind home plate.

The stubborn Foulke and the determined Rodriguez went head-ti-head for 12 pitches with neither man refusing to relent. The at bat included nine tension-mounting foul balls with at least five coming in succession.

Foulke finally emerged as the conqueror in this donnybrook when he got “A-Rod” to ground out to Jose Valentin at shortstop.

Javier moved to third on the play and things got hairy again when Foulke walked Edgar Martinez. Foulke then came through again when he induced long-time Sox killer John Olerud to bounce into a rare and niftly-executed 3-6-1 double play. When Foulke gloved the final out in that sequence, he delivered a modest fist pump while heading back to the dugout. Foulke knew immediately what he had accomplished.

The Sox added a run in the bottom of the frame and Foulke turned in a 1-2-3 eighth before giving way to Howry. The Mariners went quietly in the ninth and the Sox had their 5-2 win. Sean Lowe, whom Foulke replaced, got the victory while Howry earned the save.

The triumph was an important one as the Sox moved into first place for good in the A.L. Central. The team would be outright holders of the division’s top spot for all but three of the season’s remaining days.

While Foulke was not rewarded statistically for his effort against Rodriguez, I am convinced that the sequence in which Foulke prevailed and that seventh inning was a turning point in the season.
It didn’t take long after that for Manuel to give Foulke the full-time closer’s job. It could be argued that Foulke was the Most Valuable Player of the Sox 2000 Central Division title team. In that gratifying season, Foulke went 3-1 with a 2.97 ERA and 34 saves while giving up just 66 hits and striking out 91 in 88 innings.

Did the mods give you permission to put that link to a blog in your signature? I know you've been warned about this on at least one other occassion.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1426087&postcount=12

Also, are you claiming to have written all of this material above?

santo=dorf
02-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Sorry, but my lasting memory of Foulke was six consecutive singles by the Mariners to end a game back in 2002.

Statman, you are a great writer and have the BEST database of Sox information.

bobwsx
02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Did the mods give you permission to put that link to a blog in your signature? I know you've been warned about this on at least one other occassion.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1426087&postcount=12

Also, are you claiming to have written all of this material above?
We need more people like you.:thumbsup:

Irishsox1
02-18-2007, 09:30 PM
My Foulke memory was also in 2000. Game 1 of the playoffs. Foulke gives up the go ahead homerun to Edgar Martinez. Then he gave up a homerun to Olerud. Sox ended up getting swept. Warm fuzzy memories.

Brian26
02-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Not to pile on Foulke, but it is interesting that everyone remembers his meltdowns, but his actual saves are/were totally forgetable.

My last big Sox memory of him was from early 2002 (either late April or maybe May) against the Yankees. Somehow the bases got loaded, and then Giambi took Foulke deep to rightfield for a grandslam. It pretty much felt like the Sox season ended on that pitch.

Another classic meltdown was the Denny Hocking game in Minnesota.

CubKilla
02-18-2007, 11:23 PM
While I was a Foulke fan and one of the only Sox fans PO'ed when he was traded for Billy Botch by KW, my usual Keith Foulke memory is when Manuel brought him into the 9th to face Vladimir Guerrero when he was with the Expos during interleague play one year. I told my friend who was with me that Foulke, who was stuggling at the time, better not try to get ahead of Vlad in the count by throwing a fastball since Vlad is one of the best fastball hitter's in the game.

Foulke threw a first-pitch fastball which was promptly delivered to straight away CF, I mean perfectly straight, for either a game-tying or go ahead HR I think. I resumed drinking after that since the Expos sucked that year (and for years previous and subsequent) so I really can't remember.

santo=dorf
02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Expos in 2002 > Sox in 2002.

I believe that same game ended with Carlos Lee getting picked off of third. :angry: :angry: :angry:

23Ventura
02-18-2007, 11:32 PM
While I was a Foulke fan and one of the only Sox fans PO'ed when he was traded for Billy Botch by KW, my usual Keith Foulke memory is when Manuel brought him into the 9th to face Vladimir Guerrero when he was with the Expos during interleague play one year. I told my friend who was with me that Foulke, who was stuggling at the time, better not try to get ahead of Vlad in the count by throwing a fastball since Vlad is one of the best fastball hitter's in the game.

Foulke threw a first-pitch fastball which was promptly delivered to straight away CF, I mean perfectly straight, for either a game-tying or go ahead HR I think. I resumed drinking after that since the Expos sucked that year (and for years previous and subsequent) so I really can't remember.
I remember watching that one. I think it was June 8, 2002.

HotelWhiteSox
02-19-2007, 12:02 AM

That was actually mine too, I was at that game, the Sox were having their issues that time, you could almost feel it coming.

Hinrich
02-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I remember it was the third game of the 2002 Season and we were in Seattle trying to take 2 out of 3. We were winning 6-3 going into the ninth and had the game in the bag. I was 13 at the time and since it was a school night and a west coast game I was in bed with my radio on. I was so excited that I had stayed up for the whole game and that we were going to win. Foulke gave up four runs in that inning and blew the game. I was about to threw a fit that I had stayed up so late the night before school just to hear Foulke screw us the game. Good Foulke memory! haha

SouthSide2Ship
02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
We need more people like you.:thumbsup:

NERDS!!!!!!!

chaz171
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
My Foulke memory was when he was brought in from the bullpen by Bevington without even warming him u.

Steelrod
02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I have enough trouble remembering what I had for breakfast!

SBSoxFan
02-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Not to pile on Foulke, but it is interesting that everyone remembers his meltdowns, but his actual saves are/were totally forgetable.

One save I didn't forget was in 2000, a night game in Cleveland. I think Foulke got out of a bases loaded, no out jam in the bottom of the ninth with a strike out and then a game-ending double play.

chisoxmike
02-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I was at this game, 5/29/02...

Top of the 9th, Yankees Batting, Behind 1-3, Keith Foulke facing 8-9-1

J Vander Wal Groundout: 1B unassisted
N Johnson Double to LF (Deep LF)
A Soriano Single to LF (Short LF); Johnson to 3B
D Jeter Soriano Steals 2B
B Williams Single to RF; Johnson Scores; Soriano Scores; Jeter to 3B
J Giambi Home Run (RF); Jeter Scores; Williams Scores

Damaso Marte replaces Keith Foulke pitching
J Posada Lineout: SS (SS)
R White Strikeout Swinging
5 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB. Yankees 6, White Sox 3.

...that pretty much ended a quiet promising start to the 2002 season.

Fox-To-Aparicio
02-20-2007, 03:16 PM
What was the game that had the bench clearing brawl and had him in right field with five guy's on him. I don't remember the year or team but he still has the scar under his eye from it!

Jerko
02-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Foulke was great when he came into the game with a one run lead. Tie games or a big lead though, forget it. I remember against MONTREAL of all teams, he comes in the top of the 9th of a tie game with Guerrero leading off, and before I could say "I hate when he comes into tie games", Vlad crushed a first pitch homer. 2-1 final IIRC.