PDA

View Full Version : At least Rogers has something new, trade Zambrano

caulfield12
02-17-2007, 09:31 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070217rogers,1,3186217.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Weekly Sunday column...not much on the White Sox today

Vernam
02-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, Phil "Despicable" Rogers is at it again, playing both ends against the middle. Tomorrow's column has some real whoppers:

If Zambrano insists on a deal for seven or eight years—and he told reporters Thursday he's only looking for five—or if it takes more than $20 million a year to get a shorter contract, then it might be more than general manager Jim Hendry should swallow. MIGHT?! :mg: On Friday, I saw Rogers with a completely straight face on Chicago Tribune Live discussing seven- and eight-year deals for pitchers. Is he getting kickbacks or something?

Hendry would need an iron fortitude to deal Zambrano, no doubt about that. But there are ways that could work out.If he trades a front-line starter nearing free agency, Jim Hendry has brass balls. If Kenny Williams does the same, he's the D word. :angry:

Then Rogers recites a litany of past trades where a high-priced pitcher got dealt for young talent and, amazingly, all these trades worked to the benefit of the team that launched their guy instead of laying a long-term contract on him. Either he's done a bunch of new research and wasn't aware of these facts when he was bashing KW, or he's got a very selective memory. Double standards much, Phil?

The Cubs could be as good with Zambrano as without him. It sounds crazy, but for as well as Clemens pitched a year ago, the Astros were only 10-9 in his starts. Wait, you mean paying a guy $20 million doesn't guarantee a World Series? Please, tell us more . . .

These types of deals generally benefit the seller, and a smart organization can use a bargaining chip like Zambrano to add strength.:puking:

Seattle traded a 28-year-old Mark Langston to Montreal for three pitchers . . .One of whom became the Big Unit.

When the Mariners reached a contractual crossroads with Johnson, they traded him to Houston in one of the all-time best deals at the deadline, getting Freddy Garcia, shortstop Carlos Guillen and lefty John Halama.So, on second thought, maybe trading Garcia and McCarthy wasn't reprehensible?

He has to realize the irony as he's writing this stuff, doesn't he?

Vernam

soxwon
02-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I think the cubs will drop the ball on CZ- and the wsox will scoop
as in sCOOP him up.

vegyrex
02-18-2007, 02:15 PM
as in sCOOP him up.

EEWW, I hope not.

He'll be the second coming of Jaime Navarro for us.

I also don't think the Sox will pay him Zito like dollars?

If he does go elsewhere he'll probably go to the Mets. Although it would be sweet if he wound up with the Cardinals.:D:

caulfield12
02-18-2007, 02:17 PM
as in sCOOP him up.

It won't happen. Although I'm sure you would have a sizeable minority of Sox fans that would take Zambrano over Buehrle at the same $15 million per season...maybe even more for Zambrano than Buehrle coming off last year.

Scottiehaswheels
02-18-2007, 02:18 PM
as in sCOOP him up.
If we're gonna spend that kinda money I'd rather get the other Venezuelan on the market that doesn't have Garcia as his last name and doesn't have Zambozo's attitude/demeanor. Santana is available after '07 correct?

caulfield12
02-18-2007, 02:20 PM
If we're gonna spend that kinda money I'd rather get the other Venezuelan on the market that doesn't have Garcia as his last name and doesn't have Zambozo's attitude/demeanor. Santana is available after '07 correct?

Santana won't be on the market until after the 08 season, IF then...

Scottiehaswheels
02-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Santana won't be on the market until after the 08 season, IF then...Oh.. I coulda sworn he was a FA after this year... Damn!

Domeshot17
02-18-2007, 05:20 PM
I love Buehrle but you can't really take him over Zambrano unless you NEED the lefty. We are loaded on minor league LHP who start (Danks, Gio, throw Sisco into the mix long term). Zambrano is one of the top talents in the game, no doubt. He has done it with a JOKE of a pitching coach since he came up. Imagine if Coop was able to harness this guy, he could be the righty Santana.

gr8mexico
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I love Buehrle but you can't really take him over Zambrano unless you NEED the lefty. We are loaded on minor league LHP who start (Danks, Gio, throw Sisco into the mix long term). Zambrano is one of the top talents in the game, no doubt. He has done it with a JOKE of a pitching coach since he came up. Imagine if Coop was able to harness this guy, he could be the righty Santana.All Cub hate on the side if Zambrano joined the Sox he would be the ACE of the staff. But Ozzie would have him at #2. I also think Ozzie would make him loose some weight and that would make him better.

IndianWhiteSox
02-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Yes, Phil "Despicable" Rogers is at it again, playing both ends against the middle. Tomorrow's column has some real whoppers:

MIGHT?! :mg: On Friday, I saw Rogers with a completely straight face on Chicago Tribune Live discussing seven- and eight-year deals for pitchers. Is he getting kickbacks or something?

If he trades a front-line starter nearing free agency, Jim Hendry has brass balls. If Kenny Williams does the same, he's the D word. :angry:

Then Rogers recites a litany of past trades where a high-priced pitcher got dealt for young talent and, amazingly, all these trades worked to the benefit of the team that launched their guy instead of laying a long-term contract on him. Either he's done a bunch of new research and wasn't aware of these facts when he was bashing KW, or he's got a very selective memory. Double standards much, Phil?

Wait, you mean paying a guy $20 million doesn't guarantee a World Series? Please, tell us more . . .

:puking:

One of whom became the Big Unit.

So, on second thought, maybe trading Garcia and McCarthy wasn't reprehensible?

He has to realize the irony as he's writing this stuff, doesn't he?

Vernam

Sometimes Phil Rodgers realizes he works for the Tribune.

All Cub hate on the side if Zambrano joined the Sox he would be the ACE of the staff. But Ozzie would have him at #2. I also think Ozzie would make him loose some weight and that would make him better.

An ACE doesn't throw 100 pitches before the 6th inning.

chaerulez
02-25-2007, 07:10 AM
The Astros were 10-9 in Clemens starts because they couldn't score.

palehozenychicty
02-25-2007, 11:48 AM
An ACE doesn't throw 100 pitches before the 6th inning.

This is why I think that Zambrano is overrated. He has way too many walks.

southside rocks
02-25-2007, 01:34 PM
This is why I think that Zambrano is overrated. He has way too many walks.

I don't know if I think he's overrated, but I have wondered occasionally what he could be if a decent pitching coach worked with him. CZ has a lot of potential, but that only takes a player so far...