PDA

View Full Version : Polls and their results.....

dougs78
03-15-2002, 09:01 PM
I posted this in the Parking lot on another thread, but I wanted to express it here also that a wider audience could see and respond to it.

Concerning the ongoing arguments that go back and forth on this board we use a myriad of methods to make out points known and to (sometimes) discredit others. I think this is all acceptable, with the exception of the newest method that I have seen PHG employ, which is to use the results of these seemingly anonymous polls to discredit posters. The point I think I should make is that whether or not George, West or anyone else has knowledge of how someone voted in these polls I really don't feel they should bring that back as "evidence" against people.

I personally would rather the polls be anonymous as that way all people would feel comfortable expressing their honest opinions. However, I realize this is not the nature of the internet and that the webmaster and others with access will ultimately have this information.

However that being said, I really have a problem with those privaleged few with this "inside information" turning around and using it for their own gain in arguements. Unless you are sharing this information with the rest of the posters on the board, then I really can't see how its at all legitimate. The reason for this is that you can say "this is how so and so voted" and despite whatever they may say publicly you can refute them on your "insider" basis. I'm not saying you are/were/would lie about it, but at the same time, unless you are willing to give us all access to the poll results then I would appreciate George, West et al, doing their chuckling about results in a private manner.

LongDistanceFan
03-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I posted this in the Parking lot on another thread, but I wanted to express it here also that a wider audience could see and respond to it.

I personally would rather the polls be anonymous as that way all people would feel comfortable expressing their honest opinions. However, I realize this is not the nature of the internet and that the webmaster and others with access will ultimately have this information.

i in some respect somewhat agree with you, only that i feel uncomfortable with polls, which i sometimes used....... but its his site and you need a moderator of some sort.

but on the other hand, 90 % of those who used the poll will often explain thier vote.......... which i have seen.......... but if one uses a poll and then lies about it is a weasel, AND I AM NOT CALLING ISDEER ONE........... i sometimes like his intelligence.