PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle WAS offered long term extension

DumpJerry
02-16-2007, 03:16 PM
The Score reported today that Buehrle turned down a long term extension at the All Star Break last year. No numbers were mentioned.

Dan Mega
02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
The Score reported today that Buehrle turned down a long term extension at the All Star Break last year. No numbers were mentioned.

I sure hope Van Dyck wasn't their source.

MUsoxfan
02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Probably to see what Zito would get.

gobears1987
02-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Probably to see what Zito would get.Honestly can't blame him.

DumpJerry
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Honestly can't blame him.
Likewise. Why jump into the market before Hendry spends money like a drunk on Shore Leave?

ewokpelts
02-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Likewise. Why jump into the market before Hendry spends money like a drunk on Shore Leave?even witha market correction this upcoming offseason, burlz still figures to make mad cash....as much as "big z" ? no, but more than lilly

MUsoxfan
02-16-2007, 03:31 PM
even witha market correction this upcoming offseason, burlz still figures to make mad cash....as much as "big z" ? no, but more than lilly

He'll get "Big Z" money. The market for a good lefty would pay that

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-16-2007, 03:50 PM
He'll get "Big Z" money. The market for a good lefty would pay that

2005's Mark Buehrle, YES.
2006's Mark Buehrle, I would be amazed if that were the case.

EDIT - I am in NO WAY saying Mark is bad, but the 05 MB commands Zito $$.....notsomuch the 06 model.

Iwritecode
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM

I could've swore this was announced once before. Sometime last year I thought...

MUsoxfan
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
2005's Mark Buehrle, YES.
2006's Mark Buehrle, I would be amazed if that were the case.

EDIT - I am in NO WAY saying Mark is bad, but the 05 MB commands Zito $$.....notsomuch the 06 model.

You're assuming the '07 Buehrle will be the same as 2nd half '06 Buehrle. I doubt that will be the case. He's young, durable and well....good. He'll get a 6-7 year deal from St Louis at $16/year

Hitmen77
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Honestly can't blame him.

It's a risk on his part to turn down a long term extension. Assuming this indeed happen and it was around the all-star break, look at Buehrle's numbers since then - his ERA has been over 6.00! If he continues to struggle like that this season, he may not be such a prize next offseason. Also, any player who turns down a long-term extension 18 months before he is eligible for free agency is gambling that he won't have a significant injury in that time.

SoxxoS
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
BIG mistake if he doesn't recover his earlier form - A mistake that could rival Matt Harrington's ala 2000 draft....

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
You're assuming the '07 Buehrle will be the same as 2nd half '06 Buehrle. I doubt that will be the case. He's young, durable and well....good. He'll get a 6-7 year deal from St Louis at $16/year

No, I said if goes back to 05's form, he'll get the deal he wants (and has seen others get). If he repeats last year (starts good, falls off), it won't happen.

I believe that he, like the whole staff, was tired...so I am looking forward to seeing what shape they'll all be in this year.

Hitmen77
02-16-2007, 04:16 PM
...Also, IF this is true, then this does go against the image of the Sox that is being portrayed by the media as a team that just won't offer long term contracts and who are content to just let all their good players walk.

jdm2662
02-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd like to know how this story got leaked. From my understanding, both parties have kept quiet on this. Mark has every right to test the market. He won't get the money he is looking for if he pitches like he did the second half of last year, obviously. If he comes back to form and gets the offer he's looking for, more power to him.

ondafarm
02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
...Also, IF this is true, then this does go against the image of the Sox that is being portrayed by the media as a team that just won't offer long term contracts and who are content to just let all their good players walk.

Don't you love the inept Chicago area sports media?

Lip Man 1
02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Some details just printed in the Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070216sox,1,6279093.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Perhaps Mark and his agent didn't feel three years was 'long term' enough.

Lip

oeo
02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Some details just printed in the Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070216sox,1,6279093.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

Who knows if it was three years, maybe it was more. This article doesn't give much information, besides the fact that Buehrle is the one who "leaked" it. All it says, "it's believed," which probably means Gonzalez just went with the kind of contracts the Sox usually sign. Before Buehrle's awful second half, I could have seen the Sox making an exception for him, and give him four or five years. Just another example of the Trib speculating to make the Sox look bad, IMO.

DumpJerry
02-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Who knows if it was three years, maybe it was more. This article doesn't give much information, besides the fact that Buehrle is the one who "leaked" it. All it says, "it's believed," which probably means Gonzalez just went with the kind of contracts the Sox usually sign. Before Buehrle's awful second half, I could have seen the Sox making an exception for him, and give him four or five years. Just another example of the Trib speculating to make the Sox look bad, IMO.
The article also says Mark has an agent. He is his own agent. IIRC, Arn Tellum advises him.

slavko
02-16-2007, 06:46 PM
He signed his current contract after a bad first half, then made a nice comeback the second half. He keeps costing himself money. He was not impressive at all in '06. I hope for his sake the cause was all those playoff innings or conditioning. He needs a fast start if he wants to cash in.

CashMan
02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Kenny said they offered it about a month ago on the Score. So it took the Score 1 month after Kenny said it on the Score to report it?!?

Scottiehaswheels
02-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Now I don't want to say this to get it all twisted up and blown out of proportion but I'm kinda curious... I know Mark is a professional and most likely this isn't the case but after the contract offer he became pretty bad... Do you think it was possible that the potential extreme dislike of the contract offered by the Sox distracted him during the second half and caused him to pitch worse than usual? I would take something like that, over the "rumored" injury reports or being figured out finally in the AL, any day as it is something easily remedied I suppose...

Paulwny
02-16-2007, 07:36 PM

Lip

You might be correct lip, the JR 3 yr max.

From the link:

Buehrle did not specify the money or the years, although one source close to the situation listed the offer at three years and in the neighborhood of $31 to $33 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070216&content_id=1804621&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

AJ Hellraiser
02-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Honestly, I think it's a blessing in disguise that he didn't accept it... this is a make or break year for MB with our SOX... Don't get me wrong, I love MB... he has been terrific over his career and was the ace of the WS05 team...

But, the fact that he is a FA at year's end is a positive for the SOX in almost any case....

One one hand, he has an outstanding 2007 and bolts, a lot of guys are great in their walk year... but if he has a great 2007 (ala 2005) we should have a great shot at winning the division and I'll take my chances in the playoffs...

On the other hand, he has a poor year and thus becomes easier for the SOX to re-sign OR he still bolts cuz teams are desperate for any kind of pitching but in turn it saves the SOX a ton of money because his future would be up in the air...

IndianWhiteSox
02-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Honestly, I think it's a blessing in disguise that he didn't accept it... this is a make or break year for MB with our SOX... Don't get me wrong, I love MB... he has been terrific over his career and was the ace of the WS05 team...

But, the fact that he is a FA at year's end is a positive for the SOX in almost any case....

One one hand, he has an outstanding 2007 and bolts, a lot of guys are great in their walk year... but if he has a great 2007 (ala 2005) we should have a great shot at winning the division and I'll take my chances in the playoffs...

On the other hand, he has a poor year and thus becomes easier for the SOX to re-sign OR he still bolts cuz teams are desperate for any kind of pitching but in turn it saves the SOX a ton of money because his future would be up in the air...

According to what you just said, that might be a lose-lose. But I think that if 2005 happens again he will be signed to a deal just like Konerko's.

AJ Hellraiser
02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
According to what you just said, that might be a lose-lose. But I think that if 2005 happens again he will be signed to a deal just like Konerko's.

How is that lose-lose? Either he pitches well and we go to the playoffs, we sign him to a minor contract due to a down year or he bolts after a down year and then we don't have to take the risk of re-signing him.... winning all around

I understand that if he has a great year he is gone... but if that happens, I'll be okay with it knowing we got 1 world series and at the least another playoff birth out of it

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Me too. I think he's going to have a great year and I think he's going to come back, but I think he's going to sign a four year deal worth about 44 mil (a lot of money)...

I do remember hearing about this and then Buerhle started struggling and KW got cold feet on the deal. God, I could SWEAR that Buerhle was telling the story. But I thought it was on ESPN 1000.

Lip Man 1
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
An updated story on this from the Tribune:

Lip

Gregory Pratt
02-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I believe it was reported on the Score before and they said it was a three year contract. I'm not sure I'd call that "long-term extension." I can't blame him for not wanting to sign for three years.

KW should get creative. Four years, with options that kick in three innings and such.

DumpJerry
02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
An updated story on this from the Tribune:

Lip
It still lacks the magic words "I apologoze to all conspiracy theorists at WSI for wearing a Cardinals hast during the World Series last year."

Hitmen77
02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
You might be correct lip, the JR 3 yr max.

From the link:

Buehrle did not specify the money or the years, although one source close to the situation listed the offer at three years and in the neighborhood of $31 to $33 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070216&content_id=1804621&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Didn't the Sox give Contreras a 4 year contract extension last spring? 2006 through 2009?

itsnotrequired
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Didn't the Sox give Contreras a 4 year contract extension last spring? 2006 through 2009?

Nope, a three year. His Yankee contract was through 2006. He signed an extension through 2009 in April of 2006.

Hitmen77
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM

I agree. I've always been a big fan of Mark and he's done alot for the Sox over the years, but I think his 2nd half last year (6.44 ERA) was dreadful. I think his performance was one of the keys to the Sox missing the playoffs last year. Likewise, I think the Sox fortunes in '07 will rise or fall with MB.

Hitmen77
02-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Nope, a three year.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.

Does his contract end after '08? Or is it that his new extension didn't take effect until 2007?

itsnotrequired
02-16-2007, 11:26 PM
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.

Does his contract end after '08? Or is it that his new extension didn't take effect until 2007?

Original contract ran through 2006. Extension is for 2007-2009, three years.

WhiteSox5187
02-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Original contract ran through 2006. Extension is for 2007-2009, three years.
See...I think Buerhle is worth more than Contreras if only because we KNOW that Mark won't be recieving letters from the AARP come 2008, with Contreras...it's iffy.

StillMissOzzie
02-17-2007, 02:21 AM

Yeah, the Sox went 5 years for Konerko but I still don't think they want to go longer than 3 with pitchers. :angry:
Regardless of the '07 season MB has, I think that the floor has been set by Gil Meche's deal (5/$55M), and with a good season, could easily get into Roy Oswalt territory (5/$73M) and beyond. Unless JR changes his stance, it's bye-bye Buehrle. I just don't see him getting into the Z's (Zito/Zambrano) neighborhood, but *** do I know?

SMO
:gulp:

oeo
02-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Now I don't want to say this to get it all twisted up and blown out of proportion but I'm kinda curious... I know Mark is a professional and most likely this isn't the case but after the contract offer he became pretty bad... Do you think it was possible that the potential extreme dislike of the contract offered by the Sox distracted him during the second half and caused him to pitch worse than usual? I would take something like that, over the "rumored" injury reports or being figured out finally in the AL, any day as it is something easily remedied I suppose...

He was bad outside of like the first month. This proposal was supposedly done close to the All-Star Break, which would be two months after Buehrle starting sucking. And we know nothing about the contract that was offered...how do you know it wasn't even a fair offer?

Chisox003
02-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Please.

He's playing baseball for a "living." If contract negotations are going to determine whether he pitches well or not, then let him go. The 'contract' argument is so ridiculous it isn't even worth mentioning.

Sorry, I just don't buy it...ever.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2007, 04:48 AM
You're Kenny Williams. You've been told if you offer Mark 4 years/$52 mill ($13mill per) right now he would sign. Would you do it? No ifs, ands, ors, buts, you only know what we all know right now, would you give it to him?

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2007, 06:50 AM
You're Kenny Williams. You've been told if you offer Mark 4 years/$52 mill ($13mill per) right now he would sign. Would you do it? No ifs, ands, ors, buts, you only know what we all know right now, would you give it to him?

In a heartbeat

itsnotrequired
02-17-2007, 07:50 AM
In a heartbeat

Absolutely, no question.

kobo
02-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes. I wouldn't even hesitate.

ondafarm
02-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Faster than you can say "Jackie Robinson" !!

Hitmen77
02-17-2007, 08:56 AM

The big wild card here is Mark's 6.44 ERA in the 2nd half.

I'll probably get flamed for this answer but, to be honest, if I were KW, I don't know if I'd give it to Mark. That was a pretty extended stretch of getting pounded. I'd like to think that MB will just revert back to old form as if the last 3 months of the season didn't happen, but there's a definite risk that he will continue to struggle.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-17-2007, 09:09 AM

No, I wouldn't. The thinking behind not offering pitchers long-term deals is solid. I would negotiate other matters besides years, more precisely payment timing and club options.

If $52 million is the magic number, offer Buehrle $46 million for 3 years, with a club option for as many as two more years at not less than $15 mil each. I would also make the $46 million paid across 4 years, not 3 -- thus smoking out Buehrle on the whole matter of the total value of the deal. If he really wants long-term money he should be happy to get his Sox cash across 4 years even though he only commits to 3 years of service to get it. From here I start negotiating the fine details... NOT YEARS.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat, but don't count on Phil "Proven Workhorse" Rogers to cover any of them. The man is out of his league when the discussion turns to anything happening off the field.

AJ Hellraiser
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Again, I love MB for what he has done for our beloved White Sox.. but the nature of the beast that is baseball is that it's a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of sport....

That being said, MB sucked lately.. and I mean Jaime Navarro bad in the second half last year.. his problems were a big reason we didn't catch Detroit... MB must prove it was just a fluke and that he hasn't lost something or the AL hasn't figured him out... If he's bad again, that money can be used to sign a starter that hasn't sucked for a year and a half (should he be bad this season)

jabrch
02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I hope Mark goes out there in 2007 and pitches well enough to earn Zito type money. Now we may not give it to him, and he may walk, but the 2007 White Sox would be pretty damn good if we got classic Mark Buehrle performance.

If Buehrle goes to the Cardinals with 2 WS rings, I'd be just fine with that.

I'm a Buehrle fan - but by no means so attached to him that I think he's someone we can't afford to lose and we would consider banking 20% of our payroll on.

Dolanski
02-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Despite what the papers and many people say, I am going to say that Buerhle stays in a Sox uniform as Kenny works his magic again and gets a deal done around the All-Star break. I am going to go out on a limb and guestimate the deal as a 4 year/14 mill a year deal.

The years and money might be wrong, but he will stay in a Sox uniform.
He must, I just bought a Mark Buerhle Jersey!

gobears1987
02-17-2007, 01:11 PM
What's with all the talk about Buehrle and the Cards? The past 2 years he has consistently said he would choose the Sox even if the Sox offered him slightly less money.

WhiteSox5187
02-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Despite what the papers and many people say, I am going to say that Buerhle stays in a Sox uniform as Kenny works his magic again and gets a deal done around the All-Star break. I am going to go out on a limb and guestimate the deal as a 4 year/14 mill a year deal.

The years and money might be wrong, but he will stay in a Sox uniform.
He must, I just bought a Mark Buerhle Jersey!
I think he'll sign a four year deal too, but I think it's probably going to be a three year deal with a club option for the fourth year. Someone said "If we offer Buerhle 46 mil for four years right now and he would sign, would you do it?" I'd say no. Not right now. But if he turns it on again, well then I might make that offer at the All Star Break. The second half of last year was a fluke and was from being tired. I'm 99% sure of this because he started leaving his pitches up which would result in him getting crushed...he'll be back to form this year and back in a Sox uniform by '08

WhiteSoxFan84
02-17-2007, 02:01 PM

4 of you said yes, 4 of you said no. I'll break the tie here and I say NO. He's not worth it. He's never been a big game pitcher, for the most part, and last year he wasn't a solid pitcher period. I would've rather offered Freddy Garcia 4 years, $52 mill, and he would've probably signed for less.

I understand the whole thinking behind not offering pitchers more than 3 years, but that's just not going to work in this market anymore. You have idiots like the Giants giving away 7 year/$18mill per contracts, the Royals opening their checkbooks but being fools(Meche, 5 yrs/$11 mill per), and let's not even bring up the Northside Free Spenders. We don't have to "stoop to their levels", but we sure as hell need to adjust to it. And one thing we'll have to change is the "no more than 3 years for pitchers" policy.

The price of contending has gone up. The price of any pitcher or hitter with some talent has skyrocketed. It's only natural that because of those two facts, the prices of very good players has gone above and beyond what Scott Boras and other agents had in mind. That's not to say the market will continue to rise, but it has changed dramatically and there's no turning back now.

caulfield12
02-17-2007, 02:19 PM
No way you can sign Freddy Garcia to any multi-year deal at this point in his career.

Buehrle will get a lot more than $46 million for 4 years on the open market if he has a good season. Zito is getting almost twice that.

If he is doing well at the break, minimum contract offer is $42 million for 3 years.

soxinem1
02-17-2007, 04:13 PM
For several reasons:

Due to the White Sox failure to treat their own home-grown FA players with any type of class for quite some time (McDowell, Ventura, to name a few) this situation will get ugly before it gets better. I see a bitter deprture, playoffs or no playoffs.

JR will not give him over three years, unless those last two years are team options with heavy performance clauses (34 starts, 200 IP, etc).

He''s just under 30 years old. Reinsdorf loves to dump his pitchers before they turn 30. JR's been doing it since he owned the team.

If he has a year like his 2006 second half, they won't offer him anything.

If he has a career norm year, he will be out of their range. STL is just waiting to dump a 5-6 year deal on his lap.

Hate to say it folks, HE GONE!

AJ Hellraiser
02-17-2007, 04:23 PM
JR refuses to give anything more than a 3-year contract to a pitcher.. period. end of discussion. he won't break that rule for MB or anyone else... he just doesn't believe they are worth it cuz there is too much risk involved with injury and stuff... i can't say i blame him... imagine guys going through what wood and prior do and being signed to a contract paying them 15 mill per for 5 years...

It is JR's franchise and I will respect the way he decides to run it...

HotelWhiteSox
02-18-2007, 12:48 AM
The media can rip JR and the Sox as much as they want, but how many times has he been been wrong? I am young so I can't go real far back, I could be missing someone, but I can think of a lot of pitchers that contributed to the Sox, were not retained, and haven't been heard from since.

WhiteSox5187
02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
For several reasons:

Due to the White Sox failure to treat their own home-grown FA players with any type of class for quite some time (McDowell, Ventura, to name a few) this situation will get ugly before it gets better. I see a bitter deprture, playoffs or no playoffs.

JR will not give him over three years, unless those last two years are team options with heavy performance clauses (34 starts, 200 IP, etc).

He''s just under 30 years old. Reinsdorf loves to dump his pitchers before they turn 30. JR's been doing it since he owned the team.

If he has a year like his 2006 second half, they won't offer him anything.

If he has a career norm year, he will be out of their range. STL is just waiting to dump a 5-6 year deal on his lap.

Hate to say it folks, HE GONE!
I KNOW the GM of the Cardinals and I've heard him talk baseball (he mentioned in '04 he wanted to trade Renteria) and I have never ever heard Mark Buerhle mentioned in his plans. Not to say that he is not in their plans or whatever, but I'm not so sure the Cardinals are all that interested in him...and I think that if the Sox give MB a competitive offer, he will stay with us.

caulfield12
02-18-2007, 05:53 AM
I KNOW the GM of the Cardinals and I've heard him talk baseball (he mentioned in '04 he wanted to trade Renteria) and I have never ever heard Mark Buerhle mentioned in his plans. Not to say that he is not in their plans or whatever, but I'm not so sure the Cardinals are all that interested in him...and I think that if the Sox give MB a competitive offer, he will stay with us.

That would be equivalent to tampering, to say anything about Buehrle being in their plans. He's still under contract with the White Sox. Let's say he did mention Buehrle being in their plans....White Sox conspiracists would say the extension was offered by the Cards in 06 or 07, b4 Mark ever left the Sox. Or that Buehrle went to them with the White Sox offer in 06 and they said, just wait until you come onto the market after 07, we'll give you more years and a higher, per year, average salary.

chisox77
02-18-2007, 09:08 PM
I understand and actually support JR's "three year rule" regarding pitchers. I also like MB, but he is not quite worth a five-year deal, IMO. A four-year deal would be iffy, simply because of the second half of last year.

At the time when the Sox made their offer to him, it was a nice deal. But even with last year's struggles included, MB stands to get more years and more money per year, even with an average season. So I say this:

Two words - "contract year" - this is the closest thing to a guarantee that a player will perform on a high level. Let MB be motivated to have a great year because it can only help the Sox have the kind of year we want them to have. His struggles last year, IMO, were the most costly factor for the Sox, because his early departures affected the bullpen, where a lot of pitchers had to be used more than they should have.

It hurts me to say this and to write this, but to me, this cost the Sox more than anything. MB's slide coincided with the Sox gradually sliding out of the penant picture, given his former place in the rotation (providing the needed "stop win" or quality innings outing that could have given the Sox a valuable second wind to make a push, because I still felt that they would have won it all). That's all in the past, and let's get back to it in '07.

:cool: