PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do to be able to watch the Games on TV?

ohiosoxfan12
02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I live in Ohio and dont get any games unless they play the Indians or sometimes the Tigers. Last year I bought it on mlb.tv, but i would much rather be able to watch it on tv. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I live in Ohio and dont get any games unless they play the Indians or sometimes the Tigers. Last year I bought it on mlb.tv, but i would much rather be able to watch it on tv. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks.

Buy a TV.

:redneck

Do you have cable or DirecTV? Have you check out MLB Extra Innings?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2007, 01:28 PM
You would need a television. :redneck

What cable/satellite provider do you have? If you have DirecTv you're set.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Buy a TV.

You would need a television. :redneck

What cable/satellite provider do you have? If you have DirecTv you're set.

Holy crap.... same joke.... same smiley... and both asking if he has DirecTv..... at the sametime....... this is trippy dude

Scottiehaswheels
02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
If you are within I think its 200 miles you might be blacked out however with the Direct TV Extra Innings package... you should be able to purchase the Chicago Sportnet pack from Direct TV and get all the games shown on Comcast

DumpJerry
02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Move to Chicago and get cable or satellite.

Worked for me. The wife and kids back in Idaho miss me, but they understand a man has to have priorities.:redneck

ohiosoxfan12
02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I have basic cable. How much are we talkin' for the MLB Extra innings or the Chicago Sports Net Package? Thanks Guys.

Fenway
02-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I have basic cable. How much are we talkin' for the MLB Extra innings or the Chicago Sports Net Package? Thanks Guys.

Right now nobody knows for sure what MLB is going to do. There was talk they are moving everything to DirecTV but the longer it goes without an announcement they may have changed their minds.

skottyj242
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Holy crap.... same joke.... same smiley... and both asking if he has DirecTv..... at the sametime....... this is trippy dude

Except Itsnotrequired is a season ticket holder scumbag.

eriqjaffe
02-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Can you watch MLB.tv games full-screen? If so, you can get a video card that supports a TV output, or a TV that has a VGA/DVI input. The quality won't be great, but it'll be on your TV.

RowanDye
02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Can you watch MLB.tv games full-screen? If so, you can get a video card that supports a TV output, or a TV that has a VGA/DVI input. The quality won't be great, but it'll be on your TV.

On my Mac I just use the built-in zoom tool to make the MLB.TV window full screen, and then use a S-Video to RCA into my TV. As you say, the quality is not great but after a few :gulp: I get a little :nuts: and it doesn't matter so much.

CLR01
02-16-2007, 06:12 PM

It will probably run around $200 this year. Finding a good sports bar is always a good option too.

bigfoot
02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
It will probably run around $200 this year. Finding a good sports bar is always a good option too.

But that's a LOT more than $200!:o:

MincHiaPettito
02-16-2007, 08:34 PM
There is no ChicagoSportsNet pack, your only option is MLB Extra Innings, and right now everyone is waiting to see if it will only be available on DirecTV this year. Or if you dont mind the quality of MLB.tv, there are ways to connect your computer to a TV

cws05champ
02-16-2007, 08:41 PM

I think through Directv I get MLB extra innings for $149...not sure what it runs through the cable company. I beleive the Directv excluevise deal doesn't go through until 2009.

MySoxAreClean
02-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Buy a TV.

Stole My Thunder!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-17-2007, 10:25 AM
... you should be able to purchase the Chicago Sportnet pack from Direct TV and get all the games shown on Comcast

There is no such animal as "Chicago Sportsnet pack". Everyone gets their own regional sports channel specific to their own market as defined by MLB's territories. If you live in Ohio you'll get either Cleveland's or Cincinnati/Columbus's FoxSportnet channel.

For everyone else MLB.tv or Extra Innings is the only way to get out-of town games. DirecTV does offer a regional sports pack that gives you all the regional sports networks from coast to coast, but all the MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS games are blacked out for everyone but the local region's viewers. If you enjoy college hockey, Division 1-A football, and smaller school NCAA basketball, it's a pretty good deal... but don't expect to see any MLB games on it.

Scottiehaswheels
02-17-2007, 10:40 AM
There is no such animal as "Chicago Sportsnet pack". Everyone gets their own regional sports channel specific to their own market as defined by MLB's territories. If you live in Ohio you'll get either Cleveland's or Cincinnati/Columbus's FoxSportnet channel.

For everyone else MLB.tv or Extra Innings is the only way to get out-of town games. DirecTV does offer a regional sports pack that gives you all the regional sports networks from coast to coast, but all the MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS games are blacked out for everyone but the local region's viewers. If you enjoy college hockey, Division 1-A football, and smaller school NCAA basketball, it's a pretty good deal... but don't expect to see any MLB games on it.
I hate to disagree with you George but check out.... http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100069 I'm moving to Indianapolis soon and made sure I could purchase the Comcast Sports package and get the Sox games while I'm down there... The Premier package supposedly allows a person to buy the packs from each regional sports network according to what I read there... I doubt they wouldn't show professional sports on these packages as most likely that is what people are paying for.. If I am interpreting this incorrectly then I'm in serious trouble...

kingpin_rcs
02-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I hate to disagree with you George but check out.... http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100069 I'm moving to Indianapolis soon and made sure I could purchase the Comcast Sports package and get the Sox games while I'm down there... The Premier package supposedly allows a person to buy the packs from each regional sports network according to what I read there... I doubt they wouldn't show professional sports on these packages as most likely that is what people are paying for.. If I am interpreting this incorrectly then I'm in serious trouble...

You might be able to get the Sox games because Indy might be considiered part of the Sox market. For anyone not in market, the games are blacked out on the sports net channels forcing you to get the MLB package. I got burned on this very issue when I first got my satellite dish.

saltwater farmer
02-17-2007, 12:03 PM
here's MLB's list of area codes that will be blacked out for Extra Innings White Sox broadcasts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/components/video/tv_2003/zip_cha.html

(They just added info for MLB.TV and MLB.TV PREMIUM on mlb.com)

As a Sox fan living in Maine, I'm pretty pissed off about the impending DirecTV deal. I canned DirecTV after five years of problems w/ them related to my NFL package. BTW, you will not be allowed to subscribe to just ExtraInnings on DirecTV. You must buy in to the entire channel package.

:(:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-17-2007, 12:18 PM
hBTW, you will not be allowed to subscribe to just ExtraInnings on DirecTV. You must buy in to the entire channel package.

I'm not sure what you mean. Subscribing to Extra Innings gets you all the MLB games on Extra Innings, including the Sox. You don't have to subscribe to anything else besides the service provider itself, namely DirecTV.

And for Scottie, I believe Indianapolis is part of MLB's "White Sox territory" though it might be part of the "Reds territory" too. It definitely pays to do your homework for your own zip code ahead of time.

Scottiehaswheels
02-17-2007, 12:21 PM
And for Scottie, I believe Indianapolis is part of MLB's "White Sox territory" though it might be part of the "Reds territory" too. It definitely pays to do your homework for your own zip code ahead of time.
Yeah.. the blackout area is 200 miles.. with the original poster living in Ohio he/she might not be outside of that area.. which is why I mentioned the sportspack that I can get in Indy(supposedly).. it might apply to him/her out in Ohio.. otherwise Extra Innings should work fine.. I guess I didn't really explain that well, sorry.

BLRMKRdave
02-18-2007, 12:42 PM
If you know somone in the White Sox viewing area have them install a Slingbox in their house. That way you can view games on your computer or phone and not pay any monthly fees.

HoosierHerb
02-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Subscribing to Extra Innings gets you all the MLB games on Extra Innings, including the Sox. You don't have to subscribe to anything else besides the service provider itself, namely DirecTV.

Scottie, I live in 46250 in Indy and to the Directv with Comcast sports Chicago and get all the Sox games. However, if I wanted to get the MLB extra innings I would be blacked out of Sox, Cubs and Reds games. So do Directv and the sports package. What part of Indy are you moving to?

02-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Is the deal with DirecTV finalized? Dish Network subscribers are SOL?

That seriously makes me less of a fan of MLB and in turn the White Sox.

ondafarm
02-18-2007, 02:40 PM
here's MLB's list of area codes that will be blacked out for Extra Innings White Sox broadcasts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/components/video/tv_2003/zip_cha.html

(They just added info for MLB.TV and MLB.TV PREMIUM on mlb.com)

As a Sox fan living in Maine, I'm pretty pissed off about the impending DirecTV deal. I canned DirecTV after five years of problems w/ them related to my NFL package. BTW, you will not be allowed to subscribe to just ExtraInnings on DirecTV. You must buy in to the entire channel package.

:(:

Luckily, nothing is blocked for roughly a thousand miles from where I am. Unluckily, it looks increasingly like I'm going to need to get DirectTV.

Note to PHG: Perhaps I should whine to my Congressman.

mshake10
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
The thing about MLB.TV is that not only do you get the current games, but you get the entire archive of games. Last year included all of 2005, and hopefully it'll still be there this year.

It's always nice to look back at select games that suddendly pop in your head.

Scottiehaswheels
02-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Scottie, I live in 46250 in Indy and to the Directv with Comcast sports Chicago and get all the Sox games. However, if I wanted to get the MLB extra innings I would be blacked out of Sox, Cubs and Reds games. So do Directv and the sports package. What part of Indy are you moving to?
Well my fiance lives out in Camby but we're thinking of moving to either Lebanon, Brownsburg, or maybe Fishers area once I move down there and get established.

credeistheman
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM

i say you either buy a cable package or hook your comp up to your tv. i live in ny and i buy a mlb.tv account, when i'm at work i can watch the games, and when i'm home i hook my laptop up to my tv.

on a realted topic. does anyone know how many people can be logged in to an mlb.tv account at once? the terms of use doesn't mention multiple users, but i've definitely been blocked out of my account when buddies of mine have been logged in. any takers?