PDA

View Full Version : Jon Heyman and the self perpetuating media

BigHurt35
02-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I realize this is beating an old topic into the ground, but this is ridiculous.

Heyman wrote an article on the 12 biggest storylines this spring. Of the 12, 9 are either about Boston, New York, or the Cubs. There is also the obligatory Barry Bonds and Sosa storylines, which I have not heard one real fan actually talk about. The last story is about trade possibilities, and spends half the time talking about Pavano.

I understand that these are big teams, and thus have big stories, but you can't tell me that this is what the majority of people care about. I personally don't usually read Heyman, but I was just curious so I checked it out. The thing is that 90% of fans only know SI.com and ESPN.com, so this is all they read. When people can only read about a few teams, they only know about a few teams, and thus begin to believe that those are the only important teams. Thus the "major" media can continue to write about these few teams and justify it. It is lazy journalism appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I realize this serves no purpose, I just am so fed up with this nonsense that I felt the need to throw it up here.

BigHurt35
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
12 other storylines I came up with in 5 minutes not involving the Red Sox, Yankees, or Cubs, all of which I would be much more interested in reading about.

1. Who will step up in the Twins rotation to fill the gaps left by Radke and Liriano?

2. How will Gary Sheffield effect the close-knit Tigers clubhouse?

3. What effect will a new manager have on the Marlins, and what is going to happen with Willis and Cabrera?

4. Trade possibilities besides that of Carl Pavano?

5. What is going to happen to the Mets rotation, who slots in where?

6. How will all the young pitchers that Kenny Williams staked his reputation on fare in the Spring?

7. What will Tampa Bay do with all of their outfielders and prospects?

8. Is Randy Johnson healthy again, and does that make Arizona a contender?

9. How will Bruce Bochy switching teams within the NL West affect the division rivals?

10. Does Frank Thomas show up to camp in shape again now that he got his 2 year deal for 18 mil?

11. What does Ichiro think about the Mariners, and would he consider being traded or leaving this year?

12. Which of the veteran arms that the Indians brought in sticks with the team, and if they are all back to form are the Indians serious contenders?

rdivaldi
02-16-2007, 01:50 PM
I realize this serves no purpose, I just am so fed up with this nonsense that I felt the need to throw it up here.

Don't sell yourself short, it serves a purpose. True 99.9% of the people on this board are well aware of the inequities of ESPN and the national networks, but shrugging your shoulders and ignoring it would be worse. Too bad there isn't a way to join forces with the fans of other teams to fight it. I'm sure Twins fans, Tigers fans, A's fans, Royals fans, Pirates fans, etc. are just as sick of the Yankee/Red Sox/Cub blather.

IndianWhiteSox
02-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Don't sell yourself short, it serves a purpose. True 99.9% of the people on this board are well aware of the inequities of ESPN and the national networks, but shrugging your shoulders and ignoring it would be worse. Too bad there isn't a way to join forces with the fans of other teams to fight it. I'm sure Twins fans, Tigers fans, A's fans, Royals fans, Pirates fans, etc. are just as sick of the Yankee/Red Sox/Cub blather.

If we make it known to the public and everyone with influence from those areas concur, then maybe we can make a difference about this issue.

Carp
02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
12 other storylines I came up with in 5 minutes not involving the Red Sox, Yankees, or Cubs, all of which I would be much more interested in reading about.

1. Who will step up in the Twins rotation to fill the gaps left by Radke and Liriano?

3. What effect will a new manager have on the Marlins, and what is going to happen with Willis and Cabrera?

6. How will all the young pitchers that Kenny Williams staked his reputation on fare in the Spring?

9. How will Bruce Bochy switching teams within the NL West affect the division rivals?

10. Does Frank Thomas show up to camp in shape again now that he got his 2 year deal for 18 mil?

11. What does Ichiro think about the Mariners, and would he consider being traded or leaving this year?

12. Which of the veteran arms that the Indians brought in sticks with the team, and if they are all back to form are the Indians serious contenders?

Bravo!:gulp:

That would be something I'd actually be interested in looking at. I think so many people here at WSI could be better journalists than some of the clowns out there that think talking about 3 or 4 teams constitutes a full coverage of the MLB.

Frater Perdurabo
02-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Covering such an impressive list of story ideas would require work, something so many so-called "journalists" would rather avoid. It's much easier for them to conduct "research" via the Internet by paraphrasing as their own work what other echo chamber bloggers have written.

The reason why fan sites like WSI are so popular is because it's full of info that often is not found in the mainstream media.

Sometimes I wish we wouldn't even post links to other media outlets, especially when they link to stories about the Cubs (or Red Sox or Yankees). When we click on those links, those sites record the hits on those teams' stories, which only encourages them to write even more about them.

I implore Sox fans not to post and click on links to mainstream media stories unless those stories are about the Sox (obviously other fan sites, or Jeff McMahon's cubune.com would be OK). That way, we're not helping to perpetuate the media double-standard that we all despise.

BigHurt35
02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Covering such an impressive list of story ideas would require work, something so many so-called "journalists" would rather avoid. It's much easier for them to conduct "research" via the Internet by paraphrasing as their own work what other echo chamber bloggers have written.

That is the thing though, it doesn't take that much work. It isn't like he actually did any research about his "huge" Yankees stories, just spouted nonsense. I came up with that list in about 5 minutes on my lunch break, and I don't get paid to write about baseball.

It is a combination of laziness and ignorance that leads to these constant stories about the same tired topics. Does anyone really care about Carl Pavano? He hasn't played in 2 years, yet I have heard more about him this offseason on a national level than the Twins, Tigers, and White Sox combined.

I try to ignore these guys, but the vast majority of fans know no better. The only way baseball is going to grow is if they grow the game as a whole, not just the egos of the stars and the profiles of a couple of teams. In the meantime bloggers and fansites will continue to make these "journalists" irrelevant and hopefully spread the gospel of the game, rather than the propaganda Yankees, Red Sox, and especially the Cubs. Why don't we let them win something before we start fawning over how relevant and interesting they are. Bad players are boring no matter what team they are.