PDA

View Full Version : Any White Sox biographies?

sageofthesox
02-16-2007, 09:53 AM
My 10-year-old son has been assigned to complete a book report from a biography. He dearly wants to write his report on a White Sox player (which delights me immensely). However, we have not been able to find such a book. Sure, there are countless books out there about the White Sox. But are there any biographies on any individual White Sox players, preferably someone who played in his lifetime?

I told him I'd turn to the good people at WSI for some help. We're looking for a biography of at least 100 pages for a fifth grade book report.

AuroraSoxFan
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
not a current player but I have one on Minnie Minoso. Talks about his childhood in Cuba, career, transition into the US, and retirement life. Also highlights on how the Sox have treated him like family for 50 plus years. If you need to borrow it let me know.

NorthSideSox72
02-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I read Tom Seaver's autobiography as a kid, and loved it. He was an amazing guy. And its definitely palatable for a 10-year old. I'd recommend it.

Carp
02-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I remember finding a Frank Thomas biography in my school library when I was a kid. I have no idea where you'd be able to find it, and by now it would be close to 10 years out of date. The point is, if you look hard enough and have some luck you'll probably be able to find something.

eriqjaffe
02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
If an autobiography is acceptable, Ron Kittle's "Tales From The White Sox Dugout" is out there, although I seem to remember there's some language that may not be acceptable.

RadioheadRocks
02-16-2007, 07:14 PM
A really good bio is LITTLE NEL, THE NELLIE FOX STORY by David Gough and Jim Bard. Unfortunately it's no longer in print so it's really hard to find, although you may want to try a local library.

whitesoxwilkes
02-16-2007, 09:43 PM
A really good bio is LITTLE NEL, THE NELLIE FOX STORY by David Gough and Jim Bard. Unfortunately it's no longer in print so it's really hard to find, although you may want to try a local library.

I know Jim Bard pretty well, and can get you a copy if interested.

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
If an autobiography is acceptable, Ron Kittle's "Tales From The White Sox Dugout" is out there, although I seem to remember there's some language that may not be acceptable.
What an awful book, Kittle may be one of those guys that's written more books than he has read...I recommend Veeck as in Wreck.

Brian26
02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
What an awful book, Kittle may be one of those guys that's written more books than he has read...I recommend Veeck as in Wreck.

I agree on both points. Veeck As in Wreck is an outstanding book on its own, and it's an amazing baseball book.

The Kittle book was really lacking in some areas. The chapters were only a couple of pages long, some of the same stories were repeated several times, and nothing is in chronological order. It's more of a hodge-podge of disjointed stories and memories.

palehosepub
02-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I would recommend the White Sox Encyclopedia and its subsequent update "Total White Sox" It has profiles on all the significant White Sox players. For those of us who got through HS and college using Cliff notes, this book gives you the vital info.

"The Ginger Kid" is a very good read about the most tragic Palehose of all time George Buck Weaver of Black Sox fame.

Vernam
02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
"The Ginger Kid" is a very good read about the most tragic Palehose of all time George Buck Weaver of Black Sox fame.:thumbsup: I was going to suggest that one. Buck has a lot of competition for the title of Most Tragic White Sox, but I'm not going to quibble.

"Crash," the Dick Allen biography, is a good read. Not sure it's the right choice for a 10-year-old, though. And it has a lot of non-Sox content, obviously.

Vernam

tick53
02-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Veeck As In Wreck...a classic:smile: that every baseball fan should read:smile: