PDA

View Full Version : Who's Alive for #5

Jerksticks
02-15-2007, 09:30 PM
We all know Kenny stated Gavin Floyd had the best shot. But based on the recent article on WhiteSox.com, all these young hurlers think they have an equal chance to win it. Who do you got? And don't just pick Floyd because he's the #1 candidate.

Phillips, Haeger, Danks, Broadway, Floyd, Tracey

I got Danks. I don't think he's a year away. 2 Leftys dounds tasty to me.

MincHiaPettito
02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Who knows maybe even Sisco gets a shot (which Im not a huge fan of). My guess is Floyd, it sounds like there was something seen that no one else has, but Man I hate going back to 01-04 ball.

Whitesox029
02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
We all know Kenny stated Gavin Floyd had the best shot. But based on the recent article on WhiteSox.com, all these young hurlers think they have an equal chance to win it. Who do you got? And don't just pick Floyd because he's the #1 candidate.

I'd say it's not just because he's the number one candidate, but he is the number one candidate, so, in the interest of guessing correctly, Floyd. You should have made this a poll! I think you might be able to add one actually if you click "edit."

Jerksticks
02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd say it's not just because he's the number one candidate, but he is the number one candidate, so, in the interest of guessing correctly, Floyd. You should have made this a poll! I think you might be able to add one actually if you click "edit."

Man, I just really wanna know what Kenny saw in Floyd. Didn't his numbers kinda suck in the fall league, IIRC? Do your thing Kenny.

Whitesox029
02-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Man, I just really wanna know what Kenny saw in Floyd. Didn't his numbers kinda suck in the fall league, IIRC? Do your thing Kenny.
Actually his fall league performance was one of his high points. I remember reading that opponents hit .223 against him.

drewcifer
02-15-2007, 09:47 PM
I'll wait to see what's up when he hit Tucson in a few weeks. I hope to get a really good look at these newbies (Sox generally VERY GOOD about evaluating in ST).

I'm psyched and hopeful.

*Edit - And the wife will be running around looking for a picture with Buehrle... :rolleyes:

Optipessimism
02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
No one can tell without watching these guys compete in ST, but I just hope KW gives the best man the job. I don't care who is and isn't almost or totally out of options; just put the best five starters in the rotation. Hopefully Gavin is that guy because of his situation and where he is in his career, but what is important to me is throwing strikes, attacking hitters, and getting outs.

Whitesox029
02-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll wait to see what's up when he hit Tucson in a few weeks. I hope to get a really good look at these newbies (Sox generally VERY GOOD about evaluating in ST).

I'm psyched and hopeful.

*Edit - And the wife will be running around looking for a picture with Buehrle... :rolleyes:
Hasn't Mrs. drewcifer been reading the papers?? If she had, she would know that Buehrle is going to be gone after this season. She should get a picture with someone who's already under a long-term contract.

drewcifer
02-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Hasn't Mrs. drewcifer been reading the papers?? If she had, she would know that Buehrle is going to be gone after this season. She should get a picture with someone who's already under a long-term contract.

What can I say - She's a loyal woman.

I've tried to tell her. Then I get a pillow and a blanket for bringing it up.... :rolleyes:

I can see it now: "You're always talking about the Sox on those internets, how could you let this happen???? Couldn't you do something? You know all this "stuff", you care about it more than me!

You don't love me; I'm just here to do the laundry and......." You get the point.....

I hope she gets the pic. She really is Mark's biggest fan.

Olivo4MVP
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Very excited to see the competition begin. I like Danks and Haeger right now, but let's not forget about the Kenny's "dark horse" Nick Masset.

MisterB
02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Actually his fall league performance was one of his high points. I remember reading that opponents hit .223 against him.

Floyd's AFL Line:

19.1 ip, 17 h, 10 bb, 14 k, 5.59 era

take it FWIW

ChiSoxFan7
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
i heard we're trading for kerry wood....

but sad news, before he signed the contract he scratched himself with the pen and is out for the year with a minor contusion.

ChiSoxFan7
02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
i dont know why, but im wish we could have a knuckleballer in haeger but i just dont see it happening b/c even wakefield isn't that great.... so i think it'll be ffloyd. Coops can do it.

jenn2080
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM
i heard we're trading for kerry wood....

but sad news, before he signed the contract he scratched himself with the pen and is out for the year with a minor contusion.

:tealtutor:

sox1970
02-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Barring injury, Floyd will be the 5th starter. Haeger is the only other one that will be considered out of spring training.

RIPcalderon
02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I like Danks. Hard throwing lefty. It's nice.

Jerksticks
02-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Barring injury, Floyd will be the 5th starter. Haeger is the only other one that will be considered out of spring training.

You've heard exactly the same news and read the same articles as the rest of us. That's not even an opinion, that's just dumb.

soxinem1
02-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I doubt any of the pitchers we got from TEX will be starters coming out of ST. I also doubt Gio Gonzales is ready for MLB yet. Sisco has not been conditioned to start a game in three years.

Unless Floyd really bombs I see him as the in house favorite. You know KW is dreaming and praying for that, as he traded McCarthy to open the path for him.

There will be one grumpy ticked-off KW if FLoyd does not make the rotation out of ST. The other guys don't matter until ST 2008 when there will be at least one, if not two rotation spots open.

UserNameBlank
02-18-2007, 08:26 AM
I'll be the first to say it:

If Floyd doesn't get the job done in ST the 5th spot will belong to Broadway. For some reason I see him having a nice spring.

California Sox
02-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I'll be the first to say it:

If Floyd doesn't get the job done in ST the 5th spot will belong to Broadway. For some reason I see him having a nice spring.

You know, I second that motion. And not because I think Broadway is going to be any good, either. I worry that Floyd's not going to throw strikes. Broadway will not have that problem. Remember, Ozzie hates giving up walks as a manager almost as much as he hated taking them as a player.

I also think Phillips could be a fall back guy, the way that lefty Josh Stewart was a few years ago. Might not be great, but could throw 5 innings without walking the world.

Tragg
02-18-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm guessing/predicting Haegar.
Floyd finds a spot in the pen, pitching long relief .

sox1970
02-18-2007, 08:48 AM

You've heard exactly the same news and read the same articles as the rest of us. That's not even an opinion, that's just dumb.

No, it's my opinion too. I think Floyd is down to one minor league option. He certainly has the insdie track, based on that alone.

If he's horrible, then I give the edge to Haeger since he was impressive in his last few outings last year, plus the knuckleballer is a more versatile to either start or relieve. With the off days early in the season, they could bounce him from starter to bullpen easily.

Danks and Broadway have barely pitched above AA. They need more minor league innings. Tracey....I just don't see him getting the opportunity in spring training.

UserNameBlank
02-18-2007, 09:33 AM
You know, I second that motion. And not because I think Broadway is going to be any good, either. I worry that Floyd's not going to throw strikes. Broadway will not have that problem. Remember, Ozzie hates giving up walks as a manager almost as much as he hated taking them as a player.

I also think Phillips could be a fall back guy, the way that lefty Josh Stewart was a few years ago. Might not be great, but could throw 5 innings without walking the world.

I agree and because of that I wouldn't call Phillips any more of a longshot than Heager. My only hope is that whoever pitches the best gets the job. I don't want to see Floyd being taken just because his age/stage of development/options say he should be the no. 5. Fortunately though I think Ozzie will end up taking whoever it is that can throw strikes and for the most part keep the ball in the park. With as many spare parts/bench players we have (Terrero/Rogo/Perez/Spivey/Erstad/Owens/Mackowiak, etc.) I could easily see another trade to open up a spot on the 40-man.