PDA

View Full Version : fans in the uk

topsox
02-15-2007, 08:09 PM
:smile: hi every one

i am a sox fan in manchester uk , new to the site and thought i would introduce myself . been to chicago twice once in 1996 and again in 2005
coming for game 5 and 6 but had to settle for the parade instead !!!!
i travelled alone and had a fantastic time the parade was worth the expense
alone. any way if any one would like to keep me up to date they are welcome
my email address is arclocks@yahoo.com names bob cheers

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 08:27 PM
:welcome:

From you old colony of India, although you posted this thread in the wrong forum.

Whitesox029
02-15-2007, 08:31 PM
:welcome::smile:
I imagine you'll eventually find SoxEd sending his greetings as well. He's WSI's resident Briton.

caracascat
02-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Sox in England Yes! I am a Man U fan so I am returning the favor. I just hope you are not a City fan.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM

This is the place with the best online White Sox discussion. We also get into occasional spats re: the EPL in the Parking Lot, one of the several threads at WSI.

Cheers,

:gulp:

gobears1987
02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Welcome:welcome:

Fenway
02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
:welcome: Last summer I watched the White Sox on TV in Ireland on NASN ( which drove WS fans in Arizona nuts because they couldn't watch the game )

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2007, 12:28 AM
:welcome: If I may ask, were you born in England and somehow got into the Sox or are you from America and had to move to England?

Nellie_Fox
02-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Welcome. Just find your shift key and we'll be fast friends. :tongue:

Whitesox029
02-16-2007, 01:10 AM
:welcome::smile:
I imagine you'll eventually find SoxEd sending his greetings as well. He's WSI's resident Briton.
...and Nellie is...well...the Official Professor! But you probably didn't need me to point that out.

Nellie_Fox
02-16-2007, 01:47 AM
...and Nellie is...well...the Official Professor! Is your tongue bleeding from biting it??

SoxandtheCityTee
02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Welcome and wow, you travelled here alone for the Sox World Series? That's commitment! Glad you had a good time at the parade. It was great moment for this team and this city.

Sox83Kid
02-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the club! I just visited London for the first time last October. The people I met there were wonderful, and very interested in Chicago. Feel free to PM me any time!

I want Mags back
02-16-2007, 12:50 PM
:welcome: to the jungle...

topsox
02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome. i am indeed a CITY fan , after all i was born in Manchester !! i also got into baseball from this side of the pond.
i coach an under 14's team right here in manchester my two sons play baseball, but one follows the mariners the other the angels so we cant have it all. again thanks for the welcolme
cheers Bob

BeeBeeRichard
02-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome. i am indeed a CITY fan , after all i was born in Manchester !! i also got into baseball from this side of the pond.
i coach an under 14's team right here in manchester my two sons play baseball, but one follows the mariners the other the angels so we cant have it all. again thanks for the welcolme
cheers Bob

Good to hear! There's a lot that City and the Sox have in common:

-- Based in a "second city" of each country (vs/ New York / London)
-- Regarded by many as the second team in town.
-- Good percentage of people in town are fans of the team, because the "top" team's larger fan base is derived partially from out-of-towners.
-- Home stadium traditionally located in tougher part of town (though that may be different now that Eastlands replaced Maine Road) with a fan base to match.
-- If the American League had relegation, the Sox could have ended up playing AA ball at least a couple of times in their history.

The main external difference is that the Sox's in-town rival doesn't win nearly as much as City's. They're just as detestable though.

Down Preston!

Nellie_Fox
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
-- If the American League had relegation, the Sox could have ended up playing AA ball at least a couple of times in their history.If the Cubs had been subject to relegation, they'd have disappeared completely decades ago.

minastirith67
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Good to hear! There's a lot that City and the Sox have in common:

-- Based in a "second city" of each country (vs/ New York / London)
-- Regarded by many as the second team in town.
-- Good percentage of people in town are fans of the team, because the "top" team's larger fan base is derived partially from out-of-towners.
-- Home stadium traditionally located in tougher part of town (though that may be different now that Eastlands replaced Maine Road) with a fan base to match.
-- If the American League had relegation, the Sox could have ended up playing AA ball at least a couple of times in their history.

The main external difference is that the Sox's in-town rival doesn't win nearly as much as City's. They're just as detestable though.

Down Preston!

In your 'comparisons' with the Sox and Man ****ty, at least the Sox have won a championship in the past 50 years.

Man United are NOT the Flubs. They're actually winners and (soon to be) champions.

BeeBeeRichard
02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
In your 'comparisons' with the Sox and Man ****ty, at least the Sox have won a championship in the past 50 years.

Man United are NOT the Flubs. They're actually winners and (soon to be) champions.

Read to end of the original post, rag.

WhiteSox5187
02-16-2007, 04:18 PM

Man U are the Yankees of that league and while I don't follow soccer, I'm sure they're just as easy to root against.

caracascat
02-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't provide a direct comparison between Manchester and Chicago on sports.

Man U. is the more famous team in Manchester but derives it sfame from a great football tradition, winning teams and that it originally was the club of the Catholic community of Manchester. In essence it garnered its fame and populairty by winning and excellent football. Which is the way it should be.

The Cubs play traditionally losing baseball and even without the pathetic 98 years, they have a hard time putting together consecutive winning seasons. Their popularity and fame is derived with things that have nothing to do with a solid baseball tradition and have more to do with selling bull**** that the media buys.

Man u-substance, the Cubs -bull****.

Secondly, on your relegation point. I don't think the Sox would ever have been relegated. If you look back at the past 20 years, the Sox have been consistent winners, even though not winning championships. In fact I think the Sox have the longest streak without drafting a Top 10 player. So they are not these gritty losers playing in the bad part of town.

Now it is true from what I hear that the City of Machester is where you will find the Man City fans and Man U fans are outside the city. I can not speak to the truth of that I can only say what I hear

I can understand if a City fan does not like United. Their fans have even wrote books about it. But I don't get the direct comparison. But at least City has Ricahrd Dunne!

minastirith67
02-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Man U are the Yankees of that league and while I don't follow soccer, I'm sure they're just as easy to root against.

I think Chelsea lay a better claim to being the 'Yankees' of 'soccer'. Man United actually have a football philosophy that extends from the academy level (which has produced several world-class players) to the starting XI. Chelsea have one of the richest men in the world buying the buying the best players with no apparent method or madness (see Shevchenko and Ballack).

On a separate note, why would you root against the Yankees? They're not in the Sox's division, nor are they a hated rival. They may be the richest organization which shells out the most dollars for players, but just because you're rich doesn't make you detestable. Plus they have a winning tradition. That is to be envied, not rejected. In my mind the Yankees should be celebrated for their successes and ignored in the day-to-day grind of the regular season (unless they're playing the Sox of course). The proper teams to hate are those who compete in the AL Central, especially the successful Twins.

topsox
02-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Good debate

i think the man u club on the whole is more in common with the yankees
and if you were in any doubt over this they twined a few years ago ,and they sell yankees gear in the club shop!!!!
so there you have it. i have been a man city fan for 42 years and can tell you they are detested in manchester by the blue side of town.
any way i support the white sox over every one in baseball and so do my fellow fans on this forum so lets keep it friendly and not fall out!!

GO SOX i hope to get to a game in july in baltimore this year
as my sons also play lacrossse and go there every other year.

best wishes to ALL SOX FANS everywhere

bob