PDA

View Full Version : Is Ozzie serious about a 12 man staff ?

White Sox Randy
02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
That would be so stupid. We don't need 7 relievers, 3 lefties.

And, who would we cut from Hall, Ozuna, Mack., Erstad and Cintron.

We need a backup CFer, SS, and C. So, that would mean either Ozuna or Mackowiak would be gone. That doesn't make much sense in order to keep Boone Logan along with Sisco and Thornton in our pen.

Did anyone else see this ? Is Ozzie just talking to talk ?

jcw218
02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Where did you hear/see this?

Brian26
02-15-2007, 01:46 PM

We need a backup CFer, SS, and C. So, that would mean either Ozuna or Mackowiak would be gone. That doesn't make much sense in order to keep Boone Logan along with Sisco and Thornton in our pen.

I didn't see this, but don't forget that Pods will begin the season on the DL. In theory, the Sox could use a 12-man staff and still keep those five reserves mentioned above. Once Pods comes back, I assume the 12th pitcher would go back to Charlotte.

White Sox Randy
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I didn't see this, but don't forget that Pods will begin the season on the DL. In theory, the Sox could use a 12-man staff and still keep those five reserves mentioned above. Once Pods comes back, I assume the 12th pitcher would go back to Charlotte.

This was printed by Joe Cowley. But, what would be the point of having 3 lefties only for the month of April or even into May whenever Pods is ready ?

itsnotrequired
02-15-2007, 02:06 PM
This was printed by Joe Cowley. But, what would be the point of having 3 lefties only for the month of April or even into May whenever Pods is ready ?

What would be the point of having another bench player for only April/May and then shipping them out? I'd rather have the extra pitcher.

sox1970
02-15-2007, 02:07 PM
12th pitcher? Eduardo Perez? Who cares?

...46 days

AuroraSoxFan
02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
I would not put too much stock into it just yet. If there is still talk of that sceneraio a week or so before camp breaks it would be worth evaluating. But quite a lot can happen between then and now.

White Sox Randy
02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
What would be the point of having another bench player for only April/May and then shipping them out? I'd rather have the extra pitcher.

There's more off days in the beginning of the season. And, with the Sox outfield mess they definitely need another bench player over a 3rd lefty and a 7 man bullpen.

Unless they think Floyd's starts will be a bullpen day.

Personal aside - How is it that you've been a Sox fan for only 5 years, or is that a joke ?

itsnotrequired
02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
There's more off days in the beginning of the season. And, with the Sox outfield mess they definitely need another bench player over a 3rd lefty and a 7 man bullpen.

Unless they think Floyd's starts will be a bullpen day.

Personal aside - How is it that you've been a Sox fan for only 5 years, or is that a joke ?

There may be more off-days but it is on the order of a day a month. There are 4 off-days in April and May but only 3 off-days in August and September. It isn't as if May and April are relaxing months, especially with the colder temps and TWO west coast road trips. If the 12th pitcher can save 10 innings on the arms of the regulars, then that's 10 extra innings that they can pitch in October.:cool:

As stated by Brian26, they wouldn't have to send any current bench players down to add this 12th pitcher so what's the difference? Worst case is the pitcher burns an option.

And yeah, I've been a Sox fan for about five years. What's the problem?

IndianWhiteSox
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
And yeah, I've been a Sox fan for about five years. What's the problem?

You fair weather fan!:redneck

bnlfanmatt
02-15-2007, 09:49 PM
This might not be that bad, and I wouldn't mind seeing it, for 2 reasons:

1) Just because I would love to see the White Sox win it all with that staff and then have all other teams have a fit about whether or not they should do it.

2) We'll have Vazquez and a #5 starter back to back. If Vazquez starts his "pitching well through the order twice and then KABLOOEY!" stuff again, along with an uncertain #5, there will be days we'll be loving the idea.

oeo
02-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Why would it be stupid? Considering Pods may not play in the first month, it would be nice to have an extra pitcher. Haven't you been crapping your pants about the 5th starter? What's wrong with having another pitcher for the bullpen in case our 5th starter isn't getting it done (hopefully this isn't a problem)?

caulfield12
02-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Everyone's trying to fit Eduardo Perez and Spivey onto the team, and Luis Terrero. Our bench is fine right now.

I really wouldn't mind keeping someone like Phillips or Haeger, if they deserve it over Logan/Tracey/Reynoso/O.Perez/Malone, etc. Someone like Harrell or Russell could even come out of nowhere.

I would like to keep Danks, Gio, Broadway and McCullough getting regular starts in the minors though.

JB98
02-16-2007, 09:06 PM
If Pods starts the year on the DL, I'm not against 12 pitchers. Unless that 12th pitcher is Boone Logan. I hate taking an extra lefty just because we think we need one, when the reality is said lefty can't get the ball over the plate.